A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Replacing Liability insurance - DisenchantedMT

Posted: May 29, 2012

The corp. I contract with is replacing Dictaphone and transcription with Powerscribe and editing.  I have been presented with an extensive contract which will supersede the transcription agreement I have had for 10+ years.  Aside from the disparity in pay and expectation to edit STATS for free, I have serious concerns about signing a contract that states I have full legal liability for the edited report and that I have to carry Workers Comp and 1-3 Million $ E&O and general liability insurance.  Given that the docs are kicking and screaming and having numerous problems with Powerscribe, I am reluctant to sign a contract that essentially makes me liable for any mistakes in a report, from the demographics entered at registration, to the macros input by the docs, to errors made by Powerscribe that may get overlooked by me or my subcontractors.  Has anyone else encountered this stipulation and what did you do?  

Don't do it - requiring E&O is over the top, IMO

[ In Reply To ..]
Do you contract with an MTSO or do you contract directly with a health care corporation?

Some of what they're requiring makes sense in general terms for a corporation hiring contractors. As a contractor, you are your own business and a good business person will carry general liability insurance and workers comp, etc.

The problem with the E&O, though, in my humble opinion, is that if there is a mistake in the medical record that causes harm to a patient, the coporation requiring that you, the editor, carry that type of insurance, leaves you, the editor, much, much more open to being involved as a party in the law suit, regardless of the fact that the doctor signs off on the record before it is is finalized...or I should say the doctor SHOULD sign off on the record before it is finalized. That signature - and it is required by the doctor's malpractice insurance - is the doctor's verification that the record is correct, so if there is an issue, the person who edited or transcribed the record, should never come in to play. The fact that you are required to have E&O insurance, though, leaves you open to being called as a party to any lawsuit. Especially in such a situation as you are describing, where so much of what is being entered is beyond your control, that would scare the bejeebers out of me to sign something like that.

Then there's also the fact that E&O won't cover software issues or security issues and I think that's why some of the MTSOs and/or healthcare corporations that use contractors are requiring E&O.

It's a very murky area right now, but it's a huge expense, with the typical E&O policy anywhere from $1000 to $1500 a year. Supposedly there is a E&O policy available through ADHI for about $300 a year, but I haven't seen the inclusions and exclusions to know what it covers or what the limits on it are.

They want you to edit STATS for free? What? I just went back and read that part of your post. Uh uh. Nope. Stats need to be charged extra, thank you very much.

What I would highly recommend you do is come up with your own contract and present it to them. As a contractor, you shouldn't be signing a contract that your client presents to you - you present the contract to your client and if they agree to the terms, then they sign it and if not, you go on to the next client.

What they are asking you to sign is horrifically restrictive and is just asking for trouble.

I agree - DisenchantedMT

[ In Reply To ..]
Thanks, I appreciate it. I am an MTSO/independent contractor, in business for 24 years with the same clients. My gut instinct won't let me sign the contract as it stands. So if it remains "take it or leave it", and they won't accept an addendum to my current contract, it will be time to cut my losses and move on. At least I'll get to sleep at night instead of worrying about a lawsuit caused by speech wreck. Oh, and my reports average 5-7 pages so they think they are getting a real bargain by cutting their transcription costs by 86%.

I would run as fast as my legs could carry me. - Their stipulations are delusional! nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Similar Messages:

Liability Insurance For IC's
Apr 12, 2010

Any ICs out there that have been told they have to carry "liability insurance" that also covers HIPPA breaches?  I feel this job is costing me more money than I can make anymore.  Plus, they tell me when I can and can't take off, when I have to work, etc. and even call me on weekends when TAT is running out and I'm off.  Of course when I do take off, I don't get paid and am told I have to make the time up.  What the heck?  Anway, back on subject, anybody have the insurance an ...

Need Liability Insurance.
Jan 18, 2012

I'm have a part time IC job that is mine if I want it, but I need liability insurance.  I'm having trouble finding a company around me that offers it for a single person.  I'm waiting for some calls back, but wondered if anyone has some suggestions.  This is only going to be a part time second job for me right now, so I don't want to pay a fortune.  The woman who does the job now, but wants to cut back on work, has her's through State Farm for $26, bu ...

Alltype And Liability Insurance
Apr 17, 2010

Does anyone know where to go to for the liability insurance due to HIPPA?  Alltype is requiring this now. ...

Liability Insurance - Have You Been Asked
Oct 07, 2010

Has anyone been asked to purchase liabillity insurance for themselves as an IC.  If so, how much does it cost.  I was interviewed for an IC position, they said they had insurance, but I would also have to purchase liability insurance.  I have never done worked as an IC before so I could use some tips. ...

From IC To BA - Requirement And Liability Insurance
Aug 19, 2013

Hi. I received an email from my account telling me ICs are now BA (business associate) per HIPAA. Honestly, I do not know anything about this. They provided some links for me to read on. I was given the choice to become a BA and provide the requirements they need or become an employee. I would like to still be self-employed and not an employee if I can. Have anyone here completed the requirements? Can you please help me how you got the requirements done? They also require liability insuranc ...

Anybody Here Carries A Liability Insurance
Aug 30, 2013

Hello, I just want to ask if anybody here carries a liability insurance. How much do you pay? Anybody here can share with me information about being a business associate (independent contractor) in compliance with the new HIPAA law?   Thanks. ...

Liability Insurance For IC Position?
Dec 10, 2014

I just interviewed with a company that told me I have to have a million dollars in liability insurance and have to show them the certificate in order to be an IC. ??? Do all the IC's out there carry this? Does anybody know where you buy this and how much it costs? ...

Liability Insurance For Independent Contractor
Nov 01, 2010

Do any of you who work as an independent contractor for an MTSO carry liability insurance?  Why or why not?  Do they have to carry it and cover you or are you responsible for this?  Thanks.  ...

Errors & Omissions Liability Insurance
Jul 24, 2013

Was just informed that I cannot continue to work unless I have E&O liability insurance.  WT@#$#!$#$#!!!!  Does anyone have this?  ...

Medical Transcription Liability Insurance
Sep 19, 2013

Where do you buy transcription liability insurance and how expensive is it. I'm ready to go work at Wal-Mart after 20 years in this business. ...

Liability Insurance For Business Associate/IC
Nov 02, 2013

I spent a lot of time looking for an insurance company that will not charge me an arm and a leg to be insured as a Business Associate (formerly IC). I paid $400 a year, which is not bad considering the other choices. I just want to share to those of you that need to be insured.   http://www.myvirtualstore.yolasite.com/professional-liability-insurance.php   ...

Professional Liability Insurance For Business Associate/ Independent Contractor
Oct 08, 2013

So after more than a month of research for the new HIPAA-HITECH Final Rule, I was able to pass everything to the company I work for as an IC. I just want to share to any IC/BA if anyone is still looking for professional liability insurance/Error and Omission. This company is the cheapest I have found. http://www.myvirtualstore.yolasite.com/professional-liability-insurance.php   ...

Company Requires "professional Liability Insurance" Through Employer.
Jun 04, 2010

Does anyone have experience with this? I am not sure what to think.  I feel that the record is the responsibility of the author and/or the supervising physician.  ...

EPIC Replacing Us
Feb 04, 2010

Here is an interesting site for information on EPIC and the MT:  http://www.healthinformaticsforum.com/forum/topics/2068976:Topic:7668 ...

Replacing Thing Where Headphones Plug In
Dec 29, 2011

I'm going through packing tape like crazy trying to get my headphone plug to stay in place as the little thing it plugs into wobbles.  Have any of you ever replaced one of these? Is it hard? My dog ran by and tripped over the cord and it's been a nightmare ever since. ...

Liability Ins. For ICs?
May 20, 2011

A company I may be contracting with recommends that insurance for errors and omissions be purchased.  I called the insurance company, and this runs about $320 per year, paid in advance. http://www.ahdionline.org/Careers/CareerResources/ProfessionalLiabilityInsurance/tabid/280/Default.aspx In all my years of being an MT I have never purchased this kind of insurance policy.  Frankly the above seems like fearmongering to get people to buy into this racket. ...

BA And Liability
Sep 04, 2013

I am going to try and post a link here and hope it works. This site gives a pretty simply explanation about HITECH and why the BA liability issue is coming up. It is not about misspelling words, transcribing wrong doses or any narrative in your document (E&O insurance)--it is about privacy of patient information (liability insurance) which most people can get through their homeowner's insurance agent. Good luck. ...

What Exactly Is Liability Going To Cover An MT For? Sm
Sep 03, 2013

I've been hearing a lot about needing to possibly now have liability insurance but what are we being insured against? Liability for what? A mistake in the report? I've always been under the impression that the doctors are supposed to be reading their reports before signing and if they sign it with a mistake, that is THEIR responsibility. ...

Replacing Name With "Patient"
Oct 21, 2009

Is it an industry standard to not use patients' names in the documents even if the dictator dictates it that way, but replace it with "patient"?  Wondering if this is per policy of facility you work at or the industry standard.  Any help would be much appreciated.  Thanks. ...

Insurance Question. If I Sign Up For Insurance Sm
Apr 15, 2010

and family member wishes to join later, can I enroll at any time or must it be during "official" enrollment period?    Thank you.  ...

Landmark Insurance - Insurance Cards Yet?
Jan 13, 2011

Has anybody received their insurance cards yet? ...

Landmark Insurance - What Is Happening With Our Insurance?
Jan 24, 2011

What do other LMers think of what is happening with our insurance?  I am the head of our household and am worried.  What do we do when COBRA runs out? ...

ICD-10 Codes Replacing ICD-9 Codes
Jul 14, 2012

Good morning all, I am a long-time MT considering medical coding as a new career as I love the medical language profession and do not want to leave, however, keeping a long-time MT job that makes money I can live on is becoming almost nonexist. By sheer luck, I met a manager of a small clinic that offered me a medical coding entry level job $16/hour with medical insurance paid for in full for a family. Only thing I have to do is pass the exam and become certified. She had to become ce ...

Nuance Insurance Or Obama's "marketplace" Insurance
Oct 17, 2013

Hmmmmmm, should I go with Nuance insurance or Obama's "marketplace" insurance - that is the question. I'll be broke either way. ...

TT Insurance...
Dec 30, 2009

Just curious if anyone currently working at TT has received their new insurance info in the mail?  Yes, I've contacted HR but I never get a response. Thx ...

FYI Regarding Insurance
May 17, 2011

I don't know if yall know this, but I found out during the process of appealing an insurance claim that MedQuist is self-insured.  They set our rates and our benefits and pay all our claims, United Healthcare just administers the fund!  Kind of explains why things got so sh***y so fast, it's because MedQuist is calling the shots ...

MQ Insurance
Jul 12, 2011

Just wondering, MQ says that there insurance is second to none.  So, how good is their insurance and how expensive?  TIA Looking for love in all the wrong places, apparently. ...

So If You Are Ex JLG Now Do You Just Not Have Any Insurance Or What
Oct 02, 2011

Do we have to wait 90 days just like when hired on at a new job? I don't understand how this is fair considering I didn't ask for a change.  ...

Insurance-fed Up
Feb 16, 2012

I have had to use this insurance several times for MRIs.  This insurance pays for NOTHING.  I sure hope with the switch in suits and the new name change we can get a cheaper deductible when the benefits package comes up again in June.  This is just horrible!  This is eating up my paycheck fast. ...

LTD, STD Insurance Up
Mar 13, 2012

Did anyone else's insurance go up on LTD and STD insurance rate on the last paycheck.  These insurance companies are nickel, diming and $100 their way thru our pay. ...