A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Update on outside job interview posted last week - Backwards Typist

Posted: Feb 01, 2010

I have the job if I want it. The law office was very nice, people nice, but I was overdressed! They all wear casual clothes and they're all young'uns.

The job sounds very interesting; contacting judges, doctors, other lawyers to set up depositions and appointments, transcribing the depositions, etc., very hectic and never a dull moment, I was told. Pay is pretty good, too. Had to do a little negotiating there, and they offered a little higher than they usually pay in this position, but still not what I'm making now. Great bennies. Everything I have now plus profit-sharing...and I know this firm. They do make the bucks. I didn't get so see the where I would work or even how its done. That's one drawback. I like to know where I'm going to be situated (a corner would be good).

The cons: First question asked was if I had a very reliable car. Hubby said I should have told them to pay better and I'd buy a mercedes. LOL Hours are 8 to 5 daily (I'm an early riser and by 4 in the afternoon, I'm bushed). I don't know if I would have much training. They didn't even get into that and I forgot to ask, but I can call and ask. The attorney I would be specifically working for is someone I can't stand. Had a run-in with him 30-some years ago. I bet if he would see me and remember, I'd be out the door real quick.

They are giving me a week to make up my mind. If I knew the ole gezzer wouldn't be there 3/4 of the time, I'd jump on this job, but if he's going to be breathing down my neck all the time, forget it.

I'm weighing my options pro vs. con before i make my final decision.

Outside Job - julie

[ In Reply To ..]
Where was this position located?

outside job - icmt

[ In Reply To ..]
Glad to hear that you went on the interview. Since you had contemplated not going, are you glad you did it? Now you can make an informed decision as to whether or not you want the position. It's better to be over-dressed than under-dressed, hey? But since you were on the interview, they probably didn't look at you as being over-dressed - just professional. If you would have been as casual as them, they may have thought you weren't serious about the interview or just too sloppy. That's a tough one that you had a bad experience with the person you'd be working for, especially since you remember it from so many years ago. Anyways, thanks for the update and good luck in making your decision.

Yes I'm glad I went. There was another con I didn't list - Backwards Typist

[ In Reply To ..]
I was told it was a very stressful job and that's definitely something I don't need. I guess it would be since you would be trying to coordinate meeting dates between 3 other principals in a case.

Everyone is different, but the deal-breaker for me would be - having to work for someone I detested.

[ In Reply To ..]
Life is too short for that. It's very doubtful the guy has changed in 30 years. Could be he's even worse. There are other jobs out there, as good or better than the one you interviewed on, which could very well have someone you ENJOY working for.

I do have something else up my sleeve right now - Backwards Typist

[ In Reply To ..]
Don't want to jinx myself by letting the cat out of the bag yet. If it works, I'll let ya know. ;-)

There are a couple of things that, for me, would be cons - Happy MT Robin

[ In Reply To ..]
1. The fact that they're all young'uns. You didn't say how young, but I work with college-age kids at my PT job at a hotel and the amount of baby sitting that is required makes me crazy....... and I only have to deal with them for 30 minutes or so at the beginning and ends of my shift since I do the graveyard shift.

2. The question about whether or not you have a reliable car. That says to me that you would be asked/required to do a lot of courier-type work taking stuff to be filed to the courthouse, deliveries, etc. If that's part of the job description up front, and if mileage/car allowance is part of the pay, that might not be too bad, but I'm not sure I'd want to do it.

3. This is the most important one. Working for someone I detested? Nope. No way. Couldn't do it. I worked WITH someone I detested for 3.5 years and I was suicidal at the end of it, as she made my life a living hell. Having someone like that actually have authority over me and my job situation? Forget it. No amount of money is worth that kind of stress.

Good luck on whatever you end up deciding to do.

I hear ya. - Backwards Typist

[ In Reply To ..]
The attitude of the receptionist wasn't too friendly, but the manager was really nice.

No problem with the courthouse. The office was located right across the street. I think they were just worried about getting to work every day. They did stipulate and emphasize it was 8-5 DAILY, no ifs, ands, or buts.

I would be more apt to try the job is it was any other attorney or the son in that office, but not THE one. Of course, DH stated that usually if the father is a you-know-what, the son would probably be worse.

As a footnote, DH didn't want me to even go for the interview. He doesn't want to fend for himself all those hours with our pooch. LOL

Similar Messages:

Job Interview- UPDATE
Mar 07, 2014

Got it!!  4 weeks of training full time and and then three days a week after that.  I'll still keep MT-ing as much as I can (3 kids- one just out of college, one starting next year, and the third starts the year after that).. I'm sooo nervous, but in a good way.. Those first four weeks are going to be tough, but I'm really looking forward to learning new things and acquring some new skills.    Thank you, thank you, thank you to everybody who offered advice a ...

Job Interview Update-
Apr 25, 2014

I did not get the job I interviewed for a couple of weeks ago.  I did tell them I was doing continuing education and studying study ICD-10.  The interviewer told me they received over 120 applications and interviewed 15 people.  Guess I should be happy I got an interview.  I will keep trying, but am very disappointed.  She did say they would have more openings.  I asked her if there were any concerns regarding my application and she did tell me the no ...

Update On Patient First Interview
Jan 08, 2015

I posted the other day that I had scheduled an interview with Patient First.  I had the interview yesterday and, as I've read on these boards, I have nothing bad to say about them!  I was a little taken aback when I heard I'd have to travel to Virginia for training, but for someone like me who has been working at home for 8+ years, it's a blessing!!  I'm looking forward to meeting everyone who will be at training at the end of this month! ...

Wasnt WMX Supposed To Have An Update Last Week?
Jul 12, 2011

Interview Next Week.
Apr 30, 2015

This is for a medical assistant, and all aspects of duties in the office, including transcribing and/or scribing.  One of the questions on the application was, "Are you willing to become x-ray certified?"  Does anyone know what that would entail? ...

An Interview Later In The Week With Accentus
Jun 26, 2013

I have an interview later in the week with Accentus; I was wondering if anyone has ever worked for them and if they still do; any info about this company would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. ...

I Have My First Coding Job Interview Next Week
Oct 25, 2013

I just finished my program and just passed the RHIT exam.  I have no coding experience, but have medical billing experience from years ago.  I decided to apply to my local hospital for a coding job that does not specifically state experience is required but preferred.  I got an email back that the management team wants to interview me next week.  It's safe to say that the "management team" is more than one person and I am soooooo nervous already!  I haven't had ...

Phone Interview This Week. I Am In The South So
Nov 16, 2009

How is the phone interview?  What should I be made aware of.  Is this when I will be made an offer? ...

I Have An Interview Next Week With Accentus/Transolutions
Oct 27, 2011

Does anyone have any thoughts about them?  I put out 6 resumes and so far 2 companies responded, Accentus and Nuance.  Right now I'm most interested in hearing from anyone with insight about Accentus - starting pay, experiences etc.  Thanks in advance!  ...

Update On Update Three Reports A Day
Aug 10, 2012

Hi everyone I just wanted to stop by really quick and let you all know that finally, FINALLY I am off QA. I was given two accounts today in addition to the one they had initially given me. I can now type w/o counting my reports and waiting for feedback first. It remains to be seen of course, whether or not there will be as much work as I was told but so far, this company has been true to their word. Still, four days on a very restrictive QA protocol was quite scary. I am a LOT grayer now ...

HAPPY MT WEEK - Have A Great Week
May 17, 2010

To all you wonderful MTs working and slaving your lives away, Happy MT Week.  I appreciate you.  I appreciate your kindness when I have a rant or a rave, when I'm at my wits end with the constant changing around of clients, client profiles and the never ending dings being thrown at me. I appreciate knowing that I am not alone in this struggle. It is because of all of you, and only you MTs on this board that I manage to stay in this game.  We are treated as less than second class citiz ...

Anyone Planning On Actually Participating In MT Week Next Week?
May 14, 2014

. ...

Payday This Week (Thanksgiving Week)
Nov 24, 2014

Does anyone know when pay will be distributed this week? A big deal seemed to be made about getting payroll in quickly, so Im wondering if pay will be released before Thursday or if its just going to be Friday as usual. ...

At 99.4% This Week, Congratulated That I Improved Over Last Week.
Feb 13, 2015

Good grief. I did not change the way I edit. It so depends on how many commas they think you should have. Yes, I made an unusual (for me) mistake last week, but the rest of passing an audit is dumb luck of whether you get a realistic auditor or Ms English wannabe. Everybody must be under pressure because of the cesspool as I see a lot of mistakes when I look up past reports to help with these mush mouths and accents. The time czar wants schedule changes, but I see no problems with turna ...

Does Your PTO Rate Now Vary Week To Week?
Feb 20, 2015

Does it now vary from week to week?  I used to always know exactly what my PTO was and could calculate it but just noticed that it varied from one paycheck a couple of months back to this past week.  How is this now figured?  So confusing ...

Not Sure If This Has Been Posted Here Or Not,
Dec 23, 2009

I thought this was a really cute and interesting way to raise money for breast cancer awareness.  Providence St. Vincent Medical Center in Portland, Oregon made this video to help raise funds and it looks like they had such a fun time doing it.  And they even included all different departments of the hospital.  It brightened up my morning a little and made me smile, and I wanted to share with you.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEdVfyt-mLw   ...

I Posted This Below Also.
Jan 23, 2013

Just to try to help any exasperated MTs out that are hesitant to leave the house for the work field.  My stepson has a REAL at-home job and he loves it.  He works for a company called New Corp, you can Google that.  He works a real 40-hour per week schedule, although you can opt for part-time if you need to supplement MT income.  He answers calls and troubleshoots for Direct TV.  He also gets the full Direct TV package for free as a benefit of the job.  When he answ ...

To Moderator: I'm The One Who Posted The
Dec 12, 2009

question below about how to remove a word from spell check.  Just wondering why it was moved to the technical board....I need to know specifically how to do this in Docuscribe, which is a MQ program.  I guess I should have been more specific.  :) ...

Okay, It Has Been Months Since Anything Was Posted, So I Have To Ask (sm)
Jan 18, 2010

Is there anyone out there currently employed with Cardioscribes?  I realize that there is some India association but at this point I am so desperate for a job I would take any kind of association with it if they were to offer.  If you are employed with Cardioscribes would you either please email me or just give me some insight on the company before I apply?  Platform, pay, benefits, schedule, strictness of the schedules, etc., the usual and anything that you can think of.  ...

To The MT Who Posted About Serviss
May 10, 2010

I worked for this woman as did at least two others I know of.  I am so sorry you gotted tricked by her.  She has been doing this sort of thing for a long time.  For the longest any post that was posted about her would get deleted, therefore you could not really find out what was going on with her.  She has a hablt of using people then making excuses like telling you she is moving, and she is going through a divorce, etc...  She owed me and two others money for quite some ...

I Posted My Resume.......
Sep 29, 2010

.......and I keep getting emails asking what my specialties are. I posted all that and it's also in my resume. Makes me wonder if anyone actually reads a resume. ...

The Psych Ad Is Posted Again
Oct 31, 2010

Looks like the psych position is open....? ...

Just Posted My Ad On MT Stars
Apr 27, 2011

Just posted my job wanted ad on this board.  Am just wondering if the people that posted their ad got responses rather than answering all the ads. ...

Someone Posted Below That You Now Have To Pass The RMT To Even Take The CMT?
Sep 20, 2011

Is this really true?  I was already on the fence about it....I despise ADHI but at the same time realize having CMT could possibly help find a job and sometimes (rarely) get a CMT diff.  Not to mention the test cost $300 whether you pass or not.  So now you have to pay to pass the RMT?  This can't be true.  I mean, if you can pass the CMT you should be able to pass the RMT w/o having to PAY for it.  ...

I Posted Last Night About New Job
Jul 19, 2012

First of all, I apologize for coming across as "gloating."  I really didn't mean to do that.  I have been working sporadically since February, for a few of the companies that have been mentionned on the company board, and i have posted my experiences with them, U-Scribe being one, Inscribe being one and Mediscribes being another to name a few examples.   I am technically "homeless, having lived in a motel since I relocated, but thanks to friends and family, I h ...

I Posted Not Long Ago About Even With All My
Sep 20, 2012

personal issues, I am going back to school.  Well, I had a job interview for an inhouse position that is perfect for me and I think I got the job!!!  I am just so excited!!  The bennies are awesome to say the least.  I never thought I would be able to work inhouse again since I live in such a rural community.  I just stayed persistent and I pray I got it!  I need it so much! ...

Seen Posted Here Before That It Is Illegal To Pay Someone PTO
Apr 23, 2013

are paid on production.  Does anybody here know anything about this?  We have shown them they cant make us lie on timesheets, they have to pay at least minimum wage.  Now can we show them they have to calculate our PTO in a more fair fashion?  ...

Posted By CuriousMT
Dec 06, 2013

on the Nuance board.  It is funny, yet fairly accurate. Dear Aunt Rose Comma Thank You for the Speech Recognition Software Exclamation Point. BY Eric K. Auld Dear Aunt Rose comma thank you for the speech recognition software exclamation point. This is my first time using it comma but I think I’ve got the hang of it. How’s Uncle Bernie. No. Wait. Backspace. BACKSPACE. Question mark. Huhhhh. Enter. How are you question mark. I’m all right. Had another big sale at the office ...

Job Posted On MTDY
Mar 26, 2014

it is the 2nd or 3rd posting from the top. Initials of the company is YL. can anyone check it out and let me know what you think tnx. ...

Another Ad Posted By FutureNet
Apr 14, 2014

FN has again posted an ad for editors/speech rec people to work on M-Modal.  It appears that people are leaving due to this platform.  FN does not appear to have acquired new accounts.  See post below about the M-Modal platform and this company.  This used to be a good company to work for.  It's the platform that is just terrible and impossible to make a living wage when using it.  Your mileage may vary.  ...