A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

To the poster below who said unions can't stop - technology changes

Posted: Aug 26, 2010

I agree with that wholeheartedly.  But unions CAN force fair compensation for the skill and experience with the new technology.  I have never understood the concept that MTs should be paid half of what they normally get paid for straight typing when doing VR editing. 

When doctors learned how to use da Vinci, endoscopic procedures, etc., did they get paid less because their new equipment helped them to be more proficient.  Do doctors get paid less for EMR because a lot of times they don't have to dictate anymore in ER or radiology records?  Why does the MT have to suffer with half the normal salary for new equipment that WE didn't even request. 

It is so blatantly obvious that the new VR platforms like DocQscribe, M-Modal, BeyondTxt, and others have the capability to set their voice recognition to reject reports at a certain correction percentage.  If they want to pay us half for VR, then the correction percentage should be VERY high so that we don't have to correct a lot in the report.  They set these things at 75% or 80% so that we have to correct a great deal of the report and it takes almost as much time, if not more.  They could set it lower, but they don't because then it gets kicked to transcription mode and they have to pay more.  They leave the garbage to us while trying to sell us the "you can make double!!" spiel.

Or they could weight the VR lines also.  If we do have to correct more, give us more than half in the report.  If we only have to make 1 or do corrections, leave it as it is. 

They do NONE of this, and a union could correct this.  Unfortunately, I see very few people who want to band together to force changes.  Sad.

The industry has MTs so beaten-down, theyre afraid of - unions, and even their own shadows. Sad. n/m

[ In Reply To ..]

Agree that we could gain by working together - Reluctant Cynic

[ In Reply To ..]
for a common goal if only we could stand together on even one issue, but the working people of this country have been decisively divided and conquered over the last 30 years, and we're well trained to attack each other instead of our common problems.

E pluribus unum -- a forgotten rusted tool abandoned out in the weeds somewhere.

As Ive said before, getting women to unite on anything - is more difficult than herding cats.

[ In Reply To ..]
n/m

GREAT POST! I think you make some great points! - melmt

[ In Reply To ..]

Think of what could be accomplished if MTs would band together, quit spending so much time attacking each other's opinions on these boards, and seriously discuss and consider pros and cons of an MT union ... I don't know much about unions but would love to learn more and hear other MT opinions.

This is a huge issue - difficult to solve except with time - LK

[ In Reply To ..]
Let me first say I come from a somewhat different perspective, having spent my first career in corporate management, including sitting on the management side of the table in union negotiations and being responsible for analyzing and setting compensation for positions at all levels as an HR Director.

The VR/MT pay dilemma is fairly unique, in that it is based on a theory rather than fact that MTs "should" be able to produce a certain percentage more on VR. To put it bluntly, this theory was shoved down the throat of the MTs that were put on VR, and most have found it didn't pan out. Basically, you have been handed a 15-50% pay decrease and told you need to deal with it, and that if only you will work "smarter," everything will be OK. If this happened in any other business setting, the employees would have a choice - either accept the pay cut or vote with your feet and find a different job. The same is true here. Nobody is going to come in and save the situation or demand that "fair" wages be paid, whatever the heck that is. The only thing that will change wages is if enough MTs leave these ridiculously low-paying positions, because then the MTSOs would be forced to raise pay to lure qualified MTs back. The MTSOs hold all the cards right now, particularly with a full-blown recession going on. It's just not that simple to walk away and find something else either in MT or outside of it. But that's the only way wages will start to go up again. If you stay and take the low pay, they will continue to pay it.

How I dealt with it personally was to refuse to do VR. I have never done it, and I never will with VR as it stands now because I know I won't make enough money. I will quit MT before I work for that little money. But I know not everyone has that luxury, and it's a tough spot to be in.

But I think it's important to remember that market forces drive pay rates, and if qualified people are available who will accept very low wages, the companies will pay them very low wages. When they can't get qualified people, wages will have to rise. Unions can't save the MT industry. Hate to say it, but I'm not sure anything can save the MT industry. You can either sink with it or find some way to swim. There may come a point where enough good people leave that the wages will start to rise again. We'll see.

I agree with refusing to do VR. We didnt get what - they promised us with it, so why do it?

[ In Reply To ..]
Personally, I would want MORE money for VR than for straight transcription, just to compensate for the boredom-and-tedium factor VR presents.

Maybe the time has come to not only reject VR, but to start educating newbie and wannabe MTs in school, or considering school, about what they're getting into.

Maybe the time has also come to put some real effort into exposing the sham most of these schools are. How can it be legal to put up ads promising $60K a year earnings for MTs and take the students' money for "preparation" for a "career" that practically doesn't exist?

VR needs to be exposed for the sham that IT is, as well. It's one thing if you're using it to tell your carphone to dial your wife. It's a whole 'nother ballgame when that technological joke is transcribing a person's medical record.

Current and prospective MTs need to start rejecting the trash wages they're offering us, too. MTs in school should be encouraged NOT to put all of their eggs into the MT "basket", but instead, to concurrently study another field as a backup. "Just in case."

MTSOs need to have their leash shortened and jerked a little, too. Their choice of MTs should come from just one source: America. NO offshore. And preferably no VR, but if it's going to be used, then US MTs should be very well-compensated for dealing with that mess on a daily basis.

It should also be mandatory that if an MTSO is going to have a financial stake in an MT school, then there should be a direct percentage of MTs hired from that school, in order for them to legally be able to collect money from tuition.

With the aging of the country's workforce, it's time that age and experience discrimination in the workplace be eliminated. Times, finances, and demographics being what they are, most people are going to be working much further into old age than previously. And many more won't be able to retire at all. Experienced, long-term employees should NOT be "weeded out" in order to save money, as MTSOs and other businesses are currently doing. Payscale should directly reflect a worker's experience in their profession, as well as longevity with any one company.

It only makes sense. It's fair. And it's about time for these companies to be forced to do right by their employees, and to for ONCE, start to do what is fair and what is right.

Even the owners of these corporations were once employees sometime during their lives and, times being what they are - they could very well be so again if their corporation fails. If I were in their shoes, not only would I have wanted fair treatment and an honest day's pay for an honest day's work when I was an employee, I would sure as heck not NOT want to be worrying about getting fair treatment as an employee in the future, should my business go under. Seems to me, the best way to make sure your business doesn't go under, would be to encourage your experienced workers to STAY, not to leave for lack of pay.

Reply to poster who replied to unions can't replace technology - you missed the point

[ In Reply To ..]
Re-read my post. There is no VR editing going on, the MT's have been replaced as in gonzo, out the door. The union can't stop that if technology has made it so that there is no longer a need for an MT to do the work. Unfortunately Radiology, is one of the hardest modalities hit by VR because it is easily recognized by VR technology. If you get the right platform and the docs who are willing to make it work, it works! I have worked places where I edited it, and I have worked places where the doc's were more than willing to edit it themselves.

My other question for you is, have you ever worked in a union setting as an MT? I would venture a guess that you have not; because those settings are few and far between and when you find them they are organization specific; not an all across the US, hospital, clinic, at-home, IC status. The MT community as a whole has too many variables to try to make a union work for us. When a union enters into negotiations for a contract the points they negotiate are very specific based on their demands. It would be impossible to try to impose the same specifics on every MT contract across the U.S. It would be great if it would work, but there is no way to be able to that.

Unions in general have LOCALS - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Each LOCAL or group of locals has its own contract. Contract negotiations are specific to that local depending on when each contract expires. CWA (Communication Workers of America) for example covers many locals throughout the country, each with its own specific contract. For MTs, union contracts would be specific to the individual MTSO or hospital. No union covers membership contract negotiation nationwide.

Also.... - SM - Aspiring coder

[ In Reply To ..]
For the MTs working on site for hospitals and clinics, wouldn't the entire facility have to agree to a union, not just the MTs? Things are pretty good where I work, I'd actually hate to rock the boat. I've worked at 2 hospitals before where unions unsuccessfully tried to organize the employees. Union reps would be on the sidewalk outside the hospital morning, noon and night trying to recruit people. Personally, I didn't care for it. Naturally I wouldn't be against better wages and benefits for MTs, I just don't know how it could work and how you would ever get the MTSOs to come on board. All they would have to do would be to send the work offshore where it would be done for less money and by people who don't care about benefits. All the clients would go along because everyone is trying to save money these days. I really would like to hear a plan about how to make an MT union work.

Unions have locals and? - not gettin it

[ In Reply To ..]
Sorry I am not trying to argue with anyone but I was a union rep. in a medical center. You seem to think a "local" would be able to represent every "business" in that specific area. You find variables within MTSO's all over the country, it is called business and they are free to pay, require, limit whatever they want to do. If an employee does not like the way they do business they are free to leave and go elsewhere. How do you think a local could possible have control over every hospital, clinic, MTSO and IC in an area, when each one has their own business practices? It would be great if it was as easy as you want to make it seem. Negotiations always vary from situation to situation within a facility or a network of facilities and to try to represent ALL MT's is never going to be possible. It would be great to see it able to work but even locals vary throughout the country on wages, benefits, etc. Again I say, we work too many different situations, home, on-site, IC it can't be consolidated into every MT will get X amount of compensation.

First step- Define an MT - Next step define compensation

[ In Reply To ..]
The MT profession AS IT IS TODAY is not "union-able." An MT does not equal MT in all situations.

So you have newbies who want "fair" compensation; you have rad MTs who want it too; then there's MTs who call themselves MTs but wouldn't know a reference material if it hit them in the head; then there's MTs with 30+ years experience; MTs who just do clinic; MTs who just do ops; MTs who do it all; MTs who are multilingual; MTs who refuse to do ESL; get my drift?

And what is "fair" is totally open to debate.

Then you have what the market will bear.
Transcription is and always has been a cost center to hospitals. That alone means it's in the "eliminate it as much as we can" category.

A union won't help with any of that.

People want to scream no CMT for me, but the reality is, at least it would begin showing the industry that you can pass a standard test as opposed to those who think they can and never could.

Just my 2c which I'll keep for myself and NOT donate to a union thankyouverymuch.

Your "2 cents" is about all youll be getting per line - not too far in the future. - R.Raccoon

[ In Reply To ..]

Except - savvy MT

[ In Reply To ..]
I learned a long, long time ago to make sure I was very employable. I still get greater than 10 cpl working for an MTSO. I won't work for 7 cpl. I won't do VR for 3 or 4 cpl. Instead, I've made sure I've got a good grasp on database creation and maintenance and am able to begin marketing myself as the point person for EMR to local offices at an hourly rate.

I need no union to teach me how to get my worth. And I'm not bragging, just responding to your 2c worth of comments.
Amen to that. - LK
[ In Reply To ..]
The secret to success is and always has been to watch out for yourself and not depend on others. You are the only one that truly has your best interest at heart. Unions are not the answer, they too have their best interest in mind, and that best interest involves taking plenty of your hard-earned money in union dues. They are in business to keep themselves in business, and for no other reason.

Savvy MT, I'm totally with you. We as individuals have to position ourselves to get what we're worth. I've taken the same approach - I also won't work for 7 cpl or do VR. If and when the time comes that there is no other option, I will move on to something else.

By the way, I think your idea of marketing yourself to local offices is great. We have skills that will still be needed even when MT as we know it now has gone down the tubes, as long as we are willing to adapt.
I wont work for less than 9cpl, or do VR, either. - Still doesnt help when you get NJA all week!
[ In Reply To ..]
Or when you're working on crap software. There are only 24 hours in a day. And many of us have reached a point where they need more than that just to earn a day's pay.

Sometimes, 9 or 10cpl can actually equal out to 2cpl. I can market myself til the cows come home, and it's not going to change the fact that MTs are being put on sale, cheated on pay, cheated on lines, told there are NJA when in reality, most of the jobs have gone offshore, etc.

I'll "market" myself when, and if, someone even worth all that effort ever materializes.

But I'm not gonna hold my breath on that one.
Youve been lucky. So far, anyway........ - n/m
[ In Reply To ..]
I disagree - savvyMT
[ In Reply To ..]
I don't leave things up to luck. I've worked with companies who had NJA or who did this or that and I left. I moved on. I *MADE* my luck. I think that's the whole point. If you're in a situation that sucks, find one that doesn't. As long as you have the skills to back it up, you should be able to find an MT gig that suits you fine.
If working almost 24/7 hasnt brought any "luck" our - way yet, then I gues we"re just out of it.
[ In Reply To ..]
Luck, that is.....

Similar Messages:

Unions
Sep 01, 2012

Is there any unions out there that would be willing to work with us?  Just a thought... ...

To All You NO UNIONS...
Sep 12, 2012

Collective bargaining is the ONLY power we as a group of MTs would ever have.  We are an isolated group of mostly women and representation as a group with demands would be the only way this job would be a viable living wage.  And to the argument that only a certain percentage can be offshored..THAT would be one of the demands.  along with:  Salary worth our expertise Reasonable auditing and accuracy demands On-line support for QA for difficult dictators and/or new hospita ...

MTs And Unions, And Past Mistakes:
Nov 23, 2010

Regarding all the talk about unions below:        I once had a very good job, and was a very "Happy MT".  I worked inhouse.  I made great money.  I got vacations, 401K, paid sick days, good healthcare, etc.       So one day, while I was happily typing away on my Correcting Selectric, at my great little desk, at my great little job, a union organizer came to visit the department.  The hospital was actually considering ha ...

At-home Professions, Working, Unions And Everything Else.
May 28, 2010

hey all, I am half way done with at-home professions. (I am starting the 4th part real soon) And now I am having real serious doubts as to whether I am going in the right direction. I am not really worried about how I will handle the problems of working at home. (loneliness wont bother me, I have a pet lizard to keep me company.)  Is there anyone here who has done the at-home professions course and hooked a job?  Is there some kind of union or association for MT's? I know at ho ...

To EHR Poster Below
Feb 24, 2012

I read the link.  The electronic medical record STILL is not the problem (my account with Q right now has EHR and I TRANSCRIBE the reports).  The problem according to the article is that the Clinicians are inputting the data -- be it typing it in or point and click or speech rec --- but that information STILL has to be put into that record somehow.  They are choosing to do it themselves and not pay transcriptionists, but the Electronic Medical Record only means that it is totally ...

To Poster Below About Amy, Sm
Mar 02, 2013

She just contacted my sister-in-law 2 days ago about a problem my sister-in-law complained about.  I left there in May but she (my sister-in-law) still works there unfortunately!  But Amy is definitely not gone. ...

Agree With Poster Below That With All The New And
Dec 20, 2011

technology poor sound quality of dictation should be a thing of the past; however, that is now my #1 problem.  I have put a notation in the QA notes several times lately of the poor audio quality.  I think dictating on a speaker phone or cell phone (I don't care where --- office, home, bathroom, ballgames, convertibles, motorcycles, airplanes, or outer space) should be MT-outlawed and if a dictator does it, the report should be trashed and he should have to dictate it over (y ...

To The Poster Below Regarding Audits
Jan 09, 2012

I am NOT going to read all those posts, but I just wanted to let you know that you are lucky you only get audited once a month.  I get audited DAILY, at least once a day.  Today I got audited twice, one 100% the other 99.75%.  If I can remember correctly, I got dinged for typing something like "Aorta was tortuous" instead of "The aorta was tortuous".  It was for an account that has a multitude of dictators - I swear there is a new one every day and no two on a consistent basi ...

Disagree With Poster Below
Dec 02, 2013

who said it makes no difference to MM's bottom line if they put us on 100% QA because it usually is not permanent.  Even if it is just for a month or two and they are lowering our salaries by half or more, multiply that by the number of hours worked and by the number of MTs on 100% QA.  They can lower their costs by many thousands per month - at least enough to throw themselves a huge party. ...

About Call Graph For The Poster Below
Nov 22, 2009

With the name of Rajiv Poddar would you think it was a USA company?  Just seeing that name in your post made me not want to read any further.  That should have been a clue that it was from India and nothing else made sense about the wages either.  ...

In Response To The 12% Pay Cut Poster Below, I Work For The Same
Aug 15, 2010

company and my pay was cut 23% at one time. You say good management-this company has a rep for this kind of stuff.  Do you think it is good management when accounts run out of work daily because they are only overflow (almost all accounts with this company are overflow) and are overstaffed to stay in TAT-I had 5 accounts and still didn't have enough work?  Do you like pulling teeth to get work and/or answers because there is only 1 (ONE) person dishing out work who has the persona ...

Looking For Poster Named FINGERS (sm)
Dec 17, 2010

I would like to contact you by email please.  ...

To Poster Promoting Instant TAT.
Jan 25, 2011

I was just reading an article on 98,000 annual deaths, and those were due to medical harm, like hospital-acquired infections, careless surgeries, and incorrect medication orders.  In that article there is only one mention that has to do with healthcare information technology, and it wasn't MT or VR.  It was about electronic prescription orders to prevent medication errors due to sloppy handwriting and harmful drug interactions.  Not once is it mentioned about deliquent charti ...

I Must Say I Am Very Glad To The Poster Who Agreed With Me
May 09, 2012

There are nothing but a bunch of highly hateful and bitter MTs on here.  Wow!!  I think you all need therapy! ...

To The Poster Who Suggested Whole Foods
Nov 29, 2012

THANK YOU VERY MUCH. I have had enough of the lack of work ethic in the transcription industry from the doctors and their myriad ways of making our life miserable and unprofitable. I will be moving to an area that has a Whole Foods, and even though they are outrageously priced, I believe in their mission statement more than the joke this industry has turned into. I can't wait to hang up my earphones. I appreciate your suggestion, and I am heeding it. ...

What Happened To Poster Busy MT'ing?
Jan 09, 2013

I remember she worked at Medquist and was on here a lot offering advice through all the changes. She shared how she worked through the first pay cuts in 2005 or around that time by working just three and a half days a week (lots of hours) and earning the highest production bonus possible. I believe she was also in school getting her MD? She was very informative, and wondered if anyone has heard from her, if she's here, still working at M-Modal or if she got her degree? ...

The Poster Below Stated Princess Meeting.
Jun 03, 2013

ALL-HANDS MEETING STATED:  Performance management will be done for greatness of work to raise the bar on every MT/ME. ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!  This morning's email of trying to get us to be near 100% is bullcrap!  MM won.  I just hope and pray by moving this bar up that the company will fall.  After giving this company more than 2 decades of my service, I HOPE TO QUIT!  I am pulling money out of the 401K and finishing my schooling.  This company is great ...

Let's Please Stop It!
Nov 28, 2009

The conference calls are over,  the paperwork will soon be sent in, and rumors have been put to rest, at least I think they have been.  I am encouraged because D seems to be more at the helm than I thought she was going to be.  She answered a question yesterday which made things more clear about the rate cut.  I said a long time ago that 10 or 11 cpl was not going to fly forever.  You charge only what the market can bear, and in this economy it cannot handle those rates. ...

When Are They Going To Stop Messing With
Feb 10, 2010

MQ has made big changes to my primary account.  Now things are all messed up and because of it, we have to re-enter redundant information in the ADT screen.  For example, it says ADT Attending and ADT Admitting with the doc's names.  Those aren't carrying over to the report now, for some reason, so we have to re-enter those docs names in the additional ADT field under attending and admitting.  Also, all of the reference repository stuff is gone.  It now says th ...

Stop Yawning At Me!!!!
Nov 09, 2010

She started out the dictation yawning and apologized for it the first time but then went on to do it 3 or 4 more times.  It's a good thing I'm near the end of my night because now I'm yawning like crazy. ...

Hey MTSO, Just Stop ...
Feb 14, 2011

assigning me the garbage work just because you "think" I can do it.  Had to vent, really sick of it!  Between the ESLs and the stuff where people say things that do not make sense I am really getting fed up!  Sorry, had to vent.  I know you read this and I know you know who is this. ...

If You Are Let Go At WMX, Does Your Insurance Stop
Feb 23, 2011

nm ...

The Abuse Won't Stop
Jul 03, 2012

No one is going to do it for us.  There is wage theft, minimum wage, changing of timecards, disrespect for our knowledge, ridiculous working conditions, bad management, and no communication.  MTs have been left completely out of the conversation, and they are the MT in MTSO.  How bizarre is that? I think everyone should just walk away from their keyboards.  We won't know what the result of an action like that will be until we take it, and hold a positive intent on beha ...

Re: Comedy Stop
Jul 05, 2012

I really hope this doesn't get redirected. I meant to put it on the Main Board. I want to send out a request for more VR and dictation funnies. MTStars has gotten so depressing lately, and I could really use some laughs. ...

For Those Saying We Should Stop Training VR. If We Did, How
Oct 04, 2012

x ...

When Will It Stop Snowing?
Dec 31, 2012

. ...

Start-Stop
Apr 24, 2013

Does anyone use Start-Stop?  If so, do you like it? Cathy ...

Did You Ever Stop To Think How Much Better You Could Dictate
Dec 15, 2013

than some of these idiots who you have to muddle through on day after day after day ad nauseum?  I am transcribing this dictator tonight who has had one patient with "infantigo" and on her "review of symptoms" she dictates "Eyes" as a subheading by itself then does HEENT later on in the review. I would be so organized if I were doing this, I would have a standard sheet for every patient with ROS and PE, then just fill in the blanks and note any abnormalties.  It would be so easy for us ...

Nuance - Stop
May 04, 2014

I have never posted or replied to anything on MTstars.com, about any company in my 30 years in this field and have worked for a few BIG companies in the past (who were never this bad, not even Medquist) and with my own experiences I can say Nuance should be rated as a 10 as the worst company to work for (10 as worst).  If you are considering Nuance, do not waste your time or most importantly, your self-respect.   ...

Stop Yawning
Feb 27, 2015

I didn't go to dental or even hygenist school. I have no idea what your saying and ASR is having a field day. ...