A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

To poster promoting instant TAT. - sm

Posted: Jan 25, 2011

I was just reading an article on 98,000 annual deaths, and those were due to medical harm, like hospital-acquired infections, careless surgeries, and incorrect medication orders.  In that article there is only one mention that has to do with healthcare information technology, and it wasn't MT or VR.  It was about electronic prescription orders to prevent medication errors due to sloppy handwriting and harmful drug interactions.  Not once is it mentioned about deliquent charting or not getting information in a timely manner.  Everything that they cite has to do with DOCTOR error, not HIT error.

Another poster below pointed out that when it comes down to instant need for information regarding lfe or death, most physicians call for this.  They don't wait for the doctor to dictate a note, wait for the note to be transcribed or edited, and then wait for the note to hit the chart.  There are too many steps in that process where even instant TAT wouldn't help.   The charting information is generally documentation on what was discussed in phone calls when emergencies arise.

Our job as MTs and editors is mainly for the billing purposes.  Administrators want instant TAT on all jobs because it makes billing easier, NOT because of patient safety.  We would like to think that our jobs holds that kind of power, but it doesn't.  That's exactly why hospital administrators feel we are expendable.

I work for small MTSO and asked about this. Was told that at - times, care is held up waiting SM

[ In Reply To ..]
for print documentation, as in the case of needing H&P 5 min ago b/c pt is going to surgery. Or for a follow up visit where pt was seen day before. But also was told that these reports are also for insurance purposes.

Exactly, something like this would be a stat, but... - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
to ask for every single dictated report to be 0 TAT or instant TAT is ridiculous. IMO, when a facility administrator wants or an MTSO offers 1-hour TAT or less for quicker billing purposes, that's what is dangerous. Unless the facility is using some sort of electronic charting system, paperwork is piled up waiting for charting and the critical stat reports are held up with the quick billing reports. It defeats the purpose.

MTSOs love it because they can bill more for shorter TAT and then they overhire to cover it. When there isn't enough work to go around, they save on full-time benefits. So, they're getting paid more per low-TAT report, paying us the same amount, AND saving by not having to pay us benefits.

I agree, just want to share what my small MTSO told me. - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x

P.S. forgot to add - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I would be furious if my appendix burst or I waited in pain for a C-section because my doctor was waiting for a printed H&P when he could have very easily called the doctor who did the H&P to find out if I was cleared for surgery or not.
I said 0 TAT was an ideal, not that this impossible - standard was being called for.
[ In Reply To ..]
It is definitely being worked toward, however. Medical records and patient care are not about IT, IT is about patient care.

As for the notion that having no readable list of medications available would have nothing to do with the many tens of thousands of patient deaths each year from medication errors--huh?

Or the notion that clinicians would always be able to just call each other for information instead of reading the chart. Even presuming one knew he was about to make a fatal error he hadn't thought about (good trick) and decided to, heck, to place a call to one of the others on the case (to shoot the breeze since he didn't actually have a question?), why would the other physician automatically be available to take it?

This stuff is not just important, it's most important while a patient is being cared for and decisions made, not afterward.
I've worked in a lot of medical offices where this is done. - Just Me
[ In Reply To ..]
Plenty of times we had to notify the doctor that Dr. So-n-so was on the phone. He would either take the call or call them right back. Even when a patient in different offices this has happened while the doctor was in the room with me at the time. It's not that unusual.
I used to work for a paging service and this was done ALL THE TIME. - Hayseed
[ In Reply To ..]
Morning, noon, middle of the night, even if the doctor who had the answer to a question was on vacation...if there was important/urgent enough, a page/call was placed. No waiting for dictation. It's almost silly when you really think about it.

I've had my bosses tell me this too, "Get that report out right now because the patient is waiting for surgery...or life flight...or whatever."

It's all bullhockey. They are in jeopardy of not meeting their contracted TAT and are about to lose money. It's all about the Benjamins.
You guys're missing the point. Hospitals are dangerous. - Oh, me.
[ In Reply To ..]
Let's try again:

2004: "An average of 195,000 people in the USA died due to potentially preventable, in-hospital medical errors in each of the years 2000, 2001 and 2002, according to a new study of 37 million patient records that was released today by HealthGrades, the healthcare quality company."

2009: "Preventable medical mistakes and infections are responsible for about 200,000 deaths in the U.S. each year, according to an investigation by the Hearst media corporation. The report comes 10 years after the Institute of Medicine's "To Err Is Human" analysis, which found that 44,000 to 98,000 people were dying annually due to these errors and called for the medical community and government to cut that number in half by 2004."

Please note: These are only estimates as many states do not require records be kept and the guilty prefer to keep their secrets. They are estimates only of DEATHS in HOSPITALS. Whatever the correct numbers are, lower or higher, the actual number of patients badly hurt by medical error is dreadfully higher.

(Explaining a bad phone call joke: The vast majority of these deaths are ACCIDENTAL, caused by people who probably didn't realize there was something to call about in the first place. In other words, typically no calls placed, no calls answered.)
Think about this when reading your last sentence again. - Just Me
[ In Reply To ..]
It isn't the MR document or lack thereof that is causing this. If those people who are physically with the patient didn't realize there was something to call about in the first place, they wouldn't have caught it on a medical record either.

Also, most of these deaths in hospitals due to medical errors are due to the errors of doctors, not the medical records not being turned around in 0 time. If you're trying to imply that deaths are caused by errors in medical records, it has nothing to do with how quickly the records get to the chart. If that's the case, having ALL records there in 0 TAT is just going to contribute to that.
YOU missed the point of this thread, which is fast - TAT, not hospital danger in general. nm
[ In Reply To ..]
x
All I can say is I have no trouble reconciling my need to - make money and my concern for good patient care. N
[ In Reply To ..]
x
Okaaay, but still not relevant to this thread. - nm
[ In Reply To ..]
x
:) It may have taken on its own life, but I sort of - thought it was directed to me.
[ In Reply To ..]
I did say 0 TAT would be ideal, although unachievable with today's technology, mercifully for us. However, no matter what, TAT is about patient care. (And also about billing, but I don't worry about that. At all.)

Joint Commission - ICManiac

[ In Reply To ..]
JC comes in to do audits of hopsital on a regular basis to give hospitals accreditation. Only hospitals with JC accreditation are eligible for certain funding (namely, governmental). If accreditation is lost, so is funding.

One part of a JC audit is to track the TAT of documentation (reports, MARs, prescriptions, etc.). TAT is one part of the JC audit and does not carry that much weight in the overall score; however, administrators don't want that part of their audit to pull down the score when there are so many other thing to have to worry about. JC sets up standards for when the document should be on the chart. They state that having the document on the chart in and of itself is not the critical element, but rather a way to gauge the level of care patients are receiving.

So when MTs feel MTSOs are over promising fast TATs to clients and using an overseas workforce to meet those unrealistic promises, keep in mind that right here at home the JC is holding those clients to a standard that directly impacts funding.

Joint Commission has never specified 0 or instant TAT. - see inside for their recs

[ In Reply To ..]
MTSOs are again spinning information to benefit the MTSO and certain facility requests for instant TAT. If a facility is requesting instant TAT so that their audit score is not pulled down, especially since the TAT in the audit score does not carry that much weight in the overall score (your words),I would be very suspicious about that facility trying to cover up things in their audits that would bring the overall score down.

The Joint Commission does not comprehensively address transcription practices or specify the timeliness and TATs of transcribed documents.

According to their own Standard P.C.2.120: "History and Physical Completion, for example, requires a hospital to âdefine in writing the time frame(s) for conducting the initial assessment(s)â and requires a history and physical examination âto be completed within no more than 24 hours of inpatient admissionâ1 but falls short of recommending the use of dictation and transcription services or specifying the timeframes under which the result should be made available. Standard IM.6.10 goes on to stipulate that âthe hospital has a complete and accurate medical record for patients assessed, cared for, treated, or servedâ and requires a âpolicy on the timely entry of information, again without specifying the mechanism by which the records are to be produced."

talk about a spin - ICManiac

[ In Reply To ..]
I can only relate my own personal experience when I was involved in 2 JC audits. I met the auditors, shook their hands, made refreshments available, pulled the charts, refiled the charts and read the audit document.

They certainly do score on timeliness of documentation. Of course, your experience may vary.
I'm not spinning it. It's JCAHO (now TJC) information, not mine. (sm) - see inside for recs
[ In Reply To ..]
I didn't say that they don't score on timeliness of documentation. In fact, it states 24 hours in the information I posted. Anything beyond the 24 hours would have been scored against.

What I was saying was that 0 TAT or instant TAT would not be a qualification for a bad score in documentation auditing, so I don't see how Joint Commission would play a factor in the facility requesting instant TAT.

Similar Messages:

Just An MT And Not Promoting Computer Sales Here But...
Feb 03, 2011

I use a laptop all the time for work and mine is now about 5-6 old and at the "end of its natural life."  I just went online to www.geeks.com and purchased a refurbished laptop with XPPro and basic computer for $250.  I called, explained what I did and what I needed and having had this computer worked on and freezing when I try to work, its time for a puter "funeral."  Another thing too, with "refurbished" most if not all are like brand new  -- Thanksgiving weekend, S/O bough ...

BEWARE: WordMed.Biz Is Promoting Career Step
Jul 26, 2013

Don't waste your time testing for WordMed.Biz unless you just want to get some practice in and you have time to waste.  Just know that no matter how well you do on their test, you will be told you did not pass and you will be encouraged to pursue additional training with Career Step.  I know that I passed their test because I was able to answer practically every question just by inserting the answers from my macro dictionary. I also know for a fact that my answers were correct be ...

To EHR Poster Below
Feb 24, 2012

I read the link.  The electronic medical record STILL is not the problem (my account with Q right now has EHR and I TRANSCRIBE the reports).  The problem according to the article is that the Clinicians are inputting the data -- be it typing it in or point and click or speech rec --- but that information STILL has to be put into that record somehow.  They are choosing to do it themselves and not pay transcriptionists, but the Electronic Medical Record only means that it is totally ...

To Poster Below About Amy, Sm
Mar 02, 2013

She just contacted my sister-in-law 2 days ago about a problem my sister-in-law complained about.  I left there in May but she (my sister-in-law) still works there unfortunately!  But Amy is definitely not gone. ...

Agree With Poster Below That With All The New And
Dec 20, 2011

technology poor sound quality of dictation should be a thing of the past; however, that is now my #1 problem.  I have put a notation in the QA notes several times lately of the poor audio quality.  I think dictating on a speaker phone or cell phone (I don't care where --- office, home, bathroom, ballgames, convertibles, motorcycles, airplanes, or outer space) should be MT-outlawed and if a dictator does it, the report should be trashed and he should have to dictate it over (y ...

To The Poster Below Regarding Audits
Jan 09, 2012

I am NOT going to read all those posts, but I just wanted to let you know that you are lucky you only get audited once a month.  I get audited DAILY, at least once a day.  Today I got audited twice, one 100% the other 99.75%.  If I can remember correctly, I got dinged for typing something like "Aorta was tortuous" instead of "The aorta was tortuous".  It was for an account that has a multitude of dictators - I swear there is a new one every day and no two on a consistent basi ...

Disagree With Poster Below
Dec 02, 2013

who said it makes no difference to MM's bottom line if they put us on 100% QA because it usually is not permanent.  Even if it is just for a month or two and they are lowering our salaries by half or more, multiply that by the number of hours worked and by the number of MTs on 100% QA.  They can lower their costs by many thousands per month - at least enough to throw themselves a huge party. ...

About Call Graph For The Poster Below
Nov 22, 2009

With the name of Rajiv Poddar would you think it was a USA company?  Just seeing that name in your post made me not want to read any further.  That should have been a clue that it was from India and nothing else made sense about the wages either.  ...

In Response To The 12% Pay Cut Poster Below, I Work For The Same
Aug 15, 2010

company and my pay was cut 23% at one time. You say good management-this company has a rep for this kind of stuff.  Do you think it is good management when accounts run out of work daily because they are only overflow (almost all accounts with this company are overflow) and are overstaffed to stay in TAT-I had 5 accounts and still didn't have enough work?  Do you like pulling teeth to get work and/or answers because there is only 1 (ONE) person dishing out work who has the persona ...

To The Poster Below Who Said Unions Can't Stop
Aug 26, 2010

I agree with that wholeheartedly.  But unions CAN force fair compensation for the skill and experience with the new technology.  I have never understood the concept that MTs should be paid half of what they normally get paid for straight typing when doing VR editing.  When doctors learned how to use da Vinci, endoscopic procedures, etc., did they get paid less because their new equipment helped them to be more proficient.  Do doctors get paid less for EMR because a lot of ti ...

Looking For Poster Named FINGERS (sm)
Dec 17, 2010

I would like to contact you by email please.  ...

I Must Say I Am Very Glad To The Poster Who Agreed With Me
May 09, 2012

There are nothing but a bunch of highly hateful and bitter MTs on here.  Wow!!  I think you all need therapy! ...

To The Poster Who Suggested Whole Foods
Nov 29, 2012

THANK YOU VERY MUCH. I have had enough of the lack of work ethic in the transcription industry from the doctors and their myriad ways of making our life miserable and unprofitable. I will be moving to an area that has a Whole Foods, and even though they are outrageously priced, I believe in their mission statement more than the joke this industry has turned into. I can't wait to hang up my earphones. I appreciate your suggestion, and I am heeding it. ...

What Happened To Poster Busy MT'ing?
Jan 09, 2013

I remember she worked at Medquist and was on here a lot offering advice through all the changes. She shared how she worked through the first pay cuts in 2005 or around that time by working just three and a half days a week (lots of hours) and earning the highest production bonus possible. I believe she was also in school getting her MD? She was very informative, and wondered if anyone has heard from her, if she's here, still working at M-Modal or if she got her degree? ...

The Poster Below Stated Princess Meeting.
Jun 03, 2013

ALL-HANDS MEETING STATED:  Performance management will be done for greatness of work to raise the bar on every MT/ME. ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!  This morning's email of trying to get us to be near 100% is bullcrap!  MM won.  I just hope and pray by moving this bar up that the company will fall.  After giving this company more than 2 decades of my service, I HOPE TO QUIT!  I am pulling money out of the 401K and finishing my schooling.  This company is great ...

Poster On Job Seeker's Board Is "just Shocked" Because --
Mar 20, 2010

--they're not receiving responses from "peeps" (are you kidding me?) who want to work for 6-7 cents a line as an IC.    LOL.  I should hope not. ...

ATTN: To The Poster Who Keeps "reporting" Messages -- SM
May 12, 2011

You reported messages all morning and are still at it.  There is nothing wrong with the messages you are reporting.  I can tell from your statements that you think your comments are going to the person who made the post.  Well, they aren't!  LOL   They come only to me.  You can take your snide, hateful self to another board if you don't like what is being posted here. Moderator   ...

Dear Poster Below, "I Feel Your Pain - Same Here,"
Oct 06, 2013

Your boat analogy is right on in every way. For those of us who have been in this business for a good while, it's hard to witness firsthand the continual degradation of what once was a viable and respected profession. And it gets me, because what we bring to the table hasn't changed. We're still highly educated people with a vast knowledge base and skills that should be recognized as being worth something. No one off the street would be able to do what we do. We're entru ...

Dear "Read The Archives" Poster
Jan 13, 2014

For those of us that have been on here a while, we know how to use the Search function and utilize it to scan the archives for prior info on a company we are researching. If we can't find the answer to what we are looking for, we will THEN post a question about the company that wasn't previously answered in our search. Here you come with your irritating reply to "search the archives." Alas, a newbie comes along to this site who doesn't understand yet how the site works to try t ...

Regarding Poster Who Said "And You Contribute To The Spiraling Wages."
Nov 09, 2014

I realize you don't understand why some of us go with companies offering extremely low wages.  Let me try to enlighten you (at least in my case). 1.  I am 68 and physically disabled and cannot work outside my home.  I am on SS, but there is no way I can live on that alone. 2.  I have two specialties in MT tht I can work on comfortably and Mercedes has the both. 3.  To transfer from one company to another and not have to be trained on the accounts/platform (BayScr ...

What Did Poster Below Mean By "lockout"? Sm
Mar 30, 2010

what was the email regarding "lockout of schedule"?  thanks! ...

Help With Instant Text
Oct 14, 2009

Anyone have any good websites for Instant text tutorial or questions?  I did read through productivity talk and did find what I needed.  I have not used this software in years.  I use autotext, but I would like to use the line counting software that comes wtih IT.  I am trying to figure out a short cut to copying text, right clicking on IT , clipboard statistics, and logging each note. Any thoughts on how to do this with keystrokes and NOT the mouse? I am using Scribe Editor ...

Instant Text And VR
Sep 18, 2010

Just wondered about what you all think is the best expander to use with VR. I used to use Shorthand up to a couple of years ago and now work with Instant Text. It seems to me that Shorthand is very very popular with the VR crowd. Does anyone use Instant Text successfully with VR? The version of IT I have (V  Pro) does not have the recording functions and the ability to use shortcuts (like Alt+ and Control+) like Shorthand does. Nor is there there an ability to record commands or key combina ...

Instant Text V
Feb 08, 2011

I was wondering if anybody working on the DQS system is able to use Instant Text V  and if so, how did you convert it over ?  Thank you for any help. Donna ...

Does Anybody Use Instant Text?
Apr 06, 2011

Does anybody use Instant Text?  I just started using it and CANNOT figure out how to get "-year-old" to expand without a space in front of the first hyphen.  I am ready to scream!  Please help!  ...

Instant Text V Pro Help
May 08, 2011

I am having issues with linking Instant Text V Pro with eScription.  The greenlight is on saying that it is linked, but I am not able to get any of my keystrokes to work.  If anyone is familiar on how to do this please let me know.  I would really appreciate it.  Thanks!! ...

Help! Anyone Using Instant Text, Etc...
May 16, 2012

This was transferred to the tech forum last night but isn't a tech question: How are MTs naming their short forms now, for example for shortform "ncat" (normocephalic atraumatic) do you use "ncat" or do you use "ncatx"? Thanks. ...

Instant Text 7 Pro
May 12, 2013

Is there a limit to how many entries you can put in this program?  TIA ...

Instant Text
Feb 07, 2015

Has anyone used Instant Text with EMdat/Inscribe? Does it work okay with it? ...

Instant Text Pro 7
Apr 12, 2015

I would like to know if anyone on here uses the Bayscribe platform in IE and uses the Instant Text word expander..  I have Instant Text V and it does not connect, so I am wondering if anyone that has the upgraded version can connect.  Thank you! ...