A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Unions - NN

Posted: Sep 01, 2012

Is there any unions out there that would be willing to work with us?  Just a thought...

You know you are not the 1st one with this thought, right? - Have at it, start looking. Good luck. nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x

our jobs are obsolete... it does not matter anymore - like a telephone operator... gone

[ In Reply To ..]
What is left to unionize?

that's correct - downtime

[ In Reply To ..]
exactly like phone operators. The only solution is to try to get out. I've kind of gotten obsessive about getting out lately.

No, that's NOT correct. - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
What it is is a ridiculous statement that is exactly what the sleazy MTSOs would like MTs to believe. Their substandard speech-wreck technology is FAR from the point where the job of an acute care MT is obsolete.

Yes--Our wages have been slashed but that is - because we have the misfortune to be

[ In Reply To ..]
dealing with sleazy MTSOs who slash wages NOT because our jobs are "obsolete" but simply because, with a scattered, unorganized, predominantly female work force, they have found that they CAN. MTSOs have found the path of least resistance and a dandy way to pad their own profits while stepping on the necks of their revenue-producing employees. To compare an acute care MT with a telephone operator is so profoundly silly that one almost wonders if the above was posted by an MTSO management stooge or their clerical help. A seasoned acute care MT takes years of MT experience, not to mention an expert fund of knowledge and well-rounded background brought to the table. With all due respect, generally speaking, anybody can be trained as a telephone operator in a matter of weeks. And as any acute care MT who works with voice-wreck can attest, the technology is FAR from perfected to the point where acute care jobs are obsolete. When a single voice-wreck report can be released without major editing, your post might carry some weight.

not talking about speech wreck - downtime

[ In Reply To ..]
Speech wreck won't put us out of a job, but EPIC will. That technology, and the money-saving aspect of it, has gotten to the point that our services will no longer be needed.

Maybe United Healthcare Workers? - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Congresswoman Betty Sutton's bill - sn

[ In Reply To ..]
She is running ads in Ohio to contact about her office about her bill to prohibit medical records/information from being processed outside the U.S.

SEIU represents MTs at the U. of Washington - ..but no way would I join those crooks.

[ In Reply To ..]
Might as well send your dues directly to the DNC.

U of W - Inquiring minds

[ In Reply To ..]
What happened to their MTs when they converted to Epic?

Better question is how many MTs want to work with a union - Not me

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm not a fan of unions in any way shape or form and I refuse to pay my hard earned money to them in the form of dues. I think unions are part of the reason that big corporations off shore - they've been forced into paying for things that they flat out cannot afford and because the unions won't negotiate, they have gone elsewhere for their labor market.

I'm a huge fan of unions - wheres_my_job

[ In Reply To ..]
It's easy to forget how much job safety, working conditions and time off were products of union organizing and strikes. Like no one had to battle to get a reasonable workday, etc.

Let's keep the history straight - so we can accurately see what will work in the future to protect workers.

Not a fan of unions, but... - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
The fact is, unions have done some real good in certain industries - like busting up the sweatshops that existed in the clothing industry during the early 1900s, and negotiating for better salaries and working conditions in numerous other industries.

Have there been union excesses? Obviously. Has there been corruption? Obviously. Have there been strong-arm tactics that put companies out of business? Of course. And it's too bad that union members have tolerated such things because they could have stopped it if they had wished to do so.

I see things in our industry now very much like the sweatshops in the clothing industry that existed a hundred years ago. For that reason, I would consider participation in a union but there are some that have such a foul reputation that I would never consider joining them.

And SEIU falls squarely in the "never in a million years" category.

not me either, but I'd be happy with - just getting a paid lunch break.

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Similar Messages:

To All You NO UNIONS...
Sep 12, 2012

Collective bargaining is the ONLY power we as a group of MTs would ever have.  We are an isolated group of mostly women and representation as a group with demands would be the only way this job would be a viable living wage.  And to the argument that only a certain percentage can be offshored..THAT would be one of the demands.  along with:  Salary worth our expertise Reasonable auditing and accuracy demands On-line support for QA for difficult dictators and/or new hospita ...

To The Poster Below Who Said Unions Can't Stop
Aug 26, 2010

I agree with that wholeheartedly.  But unions CAN force fair compensation for the skill and experience with the new technology.  I have never understood the concept that MTs should be paid half of what they normally get paid for straight typing when doing VR editing.  When doctors learned how to use da Vinci, endoscopic procedures, etc., did they get paid less because their new equipment helped them to be more proficient.  Do doctors get paid less for EMR because a lot of ti ...

MTs And Unions, And Past Mistakes:
Nov 23, 2010

Regarding all the talk about unions below:        I once had a very good job, and was a very "Happy MT".  I worked inhouse.  I made great money.  I got vacations, 401K, paid sick days, good healthcare, etc.       So one day, while I was happily typing away on my Correcting Selectric, at my great little desk, at my great little job, a union organizer came to visit the department.  The hospital was actually considering ha ...

At-home Professions, Working, Unions And Everything Else.
May 28, 2010

hey all, I am half way done with at-home professions. (I am starting the 4th part real soon) And now I am having real serious doubts as to whether I am going in the right direction. I am not really worried about how I will handle the problems of working at home. (loneliness wont bother me, I have a pet lizard to keep me company.)  Is there anyone here who has done the at-home professions course and hooked a job?  Is there some kind of union or association for MT's? I know at ho ...