A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Thanks for the spelling lesson, Doc - Apparently I am an idiot

Posted: Nov 28, 2013

I'm not sure what got into Dr. Knucklehead's brain tonight, but he's spelling words like pannus, Trileptal, anasarca (which he spelled wrong).  It's bad enough he's doing it as often as he is because he's completely messing up the voice recognition for his drafts, but he has spelled pannus every freaking time he has said it. The patient has cellulitis below her pannus, so the word is coming up a lot in this report.  

I have one more hour to go and then a 3 day weekend, thanks to my Sun thru Thurs schedule.  I may be drinking at the end of my day at 6:30 this morning.  

Loved your I might be drinking at the end - of my day

[ In Reply To ..]
That was cute.

I am not surprised - tm

[ In Reply To ..]
He may have been seeing "penis" transcribed on reports he's gotten previously when he meant "pannus." I've seen that error being made and so he's probably just trying to ensure it is transcribed correctly. That explains the "pannus" at least being spelled :)

Okay, I can see your point - But man that would be a bad MT

[ In Reply To ..]
I can totally see your point free from the haze over my eyes from wanting to beat him with his own arm. That would make me nuts if I saw an MT transcribe penis instead of pannus on this female patient. That just makes us all look bad.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!!

True story here - MTmtMT

[ In Reply To ..]
When I was in-house doing radiology, we had a VERY seasoned MT who transcribed a report and typed "anal" instead of "renal" throughout (it was a CT of the abdomen and pelvis).

The radiologist raised all sorts of noise over those errors (there were multiple instances of "anal" throughout the entire thing, not just one but every single time he said renal), and after that I swear the man thought all of us in the department had the IQ of a doorknob after that incident. Luckily, he was very conscientious and read all of his reports before electronically signing off on them and caught it before it went anywhere.

Although I laughed to myself at the ridiculous nature of her mistake, I really did feel bad for the doctor. He was ESL but an excellent dictator. I guess her mind just wasn't on her work that day to make such a silly error, especially with years of experience.

Now I can't imagine how that radiologist must react when he sees what VR generates for his dictation, lol!

Baloney amputation - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
That was the norm for a transcription service my facility used to use. I actually called them once to complain and their idiot manager told me that he didn't think anyone could know what words the doctor meant. He insisted that I was being unreasonable and that I was lying about being an MT. If I were an MT, he said, I would know you couldn't tell what the words were -- nobody can. Turned out he had some kind of job rehab program going, where he trained women off the street or just out of jail to do MT.

The last company we had was better, but not much. I see MTs here saying they work or worked for them and my blood pressure rises. I wonder if they think that we just didn't deserve better -- the work was awful. About half the reports had something wrong with them.

I am not kidding ... I have seen baloney amputation so often I think that is how it is written. I see the same word misuse errors I see here, like advise for advice, there for their. I see resperatory, respatory, renul, and despirate, disperate, and rehabitation, rehabilatation.

My favorite are the phonetically spelled instruments. Grrr. You would think they'd look them up.

Um.... What? - nomessage
[ In Reply To ..]
??
Everybody sing: "You say "baloney," and I say, "below-knee..." - with apologies to George Gershwin (nm)
[ In Reply To ..]

When that happens - SM

[ In Reply To ..]
I have a few really decent dictators who will randomly start spelling the most basic of words, and I've started assuming that somebody must have really blundered on a previous report so they assume NO ONE working on the account can spell.

It's really annoying and just prevents me from getting a rhythm going as I sit there while they spell out mundane words.

I interviewed with a department head once - IAMT

[ In Reply To ..]
and one of the doctors/dictators sat in on the interview. At one point in the interview he turned to me and asked me to spell a couple words. He then said nearly EVERY MT was transcribing fecal when he said thecal, etc., and he was now spelling a lot of words because of that and wished he could stop spending the time doing that.

From that day forward, I kinda understood why some of the dictators spelled out fairly simple medical terms and didn't take it personally. Slows ya down some, but having the experience (which we are no longer paid for) to put a term in the context of the report and provide a quality report seems to have gone to the wayside.

When doctors start spelling ... - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Especially if they start doing it suddenly, it is usually because they are getting garbage from some MT. It might not be from your company, but another, or even from some reviewer at a facility who is changing things, or from another hospital where the doctor also practices.

I have known some who spell because they have an incompetent office MT and think all MTs are like that.

Similar Messages:

A Lesson For Those Who Are Considering Being An MT...
May 09, 2010

For almost a year and a half I have been going to a technical school for medical transcription and medical coding and billing. Being an MT was what I wanted to do for a living. I chose the coding and billing because I felt it certainly wouldn't hurt to have depending on where I wound up working. I have made excellent grades and did well in the various classes I have taken. Overall, it was a very good learning experience. In a few weeks I'll be finished. It made sense to begin looking ...

History Lesson - What Are We
Oct 13, 2012

Article attached. We are waiting for permission to take massive action?  Not advocating violence, but please leave your damn jobs.  We deserve better.  There would be no MTSOs without MTs.  Don't you get it? They already stole our jobs, sent them overseas, created software to replace us, and we are fighting over scraps at slave wages.  Those who are happy being MTs, good, but $8-10 an hour doesn't cut it in my world.  That's not a living ...

EMR - Looks Like An Introductory Lesson
Feb 16, 2013

http://dspace.mit.edu/bitstream/handle/1721.1/42784/38572292.pdf?sequence=1 ...

Learned My Lesson
Mar 02, 2015

I will NO LONGER be working OT.  Got audited on 2 jobs that were less  than 1 minute in length on an unfamiliar account and scored 99.5%.  Do they look for short jobs?  It seems like it to me.  That way, they can fail you.  Hard to stay motivated and focused when you get dinged for such petty things.  In no way did my mistake cause the patient any harm.  Honest to pete.  Have heard rumors that the auditors are off shore.  Really?  After I lo ...

I Learned A Lesson Recently....
Aug 23, 2013

I'm one of the first people to tell someone else to be careful of the bridges you burn when leaving one company for another.  It's advice that I have tried hard to live by and was working out fairly well until just recently. I have another job with another company now and loving it.  Leaving Nuance and finding out that there still are companies out there that give a hoot has made me feel good. Anyway....I didn't actually burn any bridges with my past employers but I wa ...

Spelling Versus Not Spelling
Feb 11, 2011

I never thought I'd say this, but a dictator can do too much spelling.  There is one at my company who spells out every single medication.  While this is normally helpful, this doctor's pronounciation leaves a little to be desired.  It would be much simpler for him to just say the name of the medication.  ...

Spelling Bee
Apr 22, 2010

I have just recently noticed a LOT of spelling going on.  Just now doc spelled Imuran and Toprol.  Yesterday it was simple things like "lingual."  It is on different accounts and by different doctors.  ...

S/l Zashia But Spelling For Sure?
Nov 16, 2009

Sounds so clear "Zashia" but the spelling is incorrect.  Does anyone have the correct spelling for this drug?  Thanks!!! ...

Cineangiocardiograms? Spelling?
Nov 19, 2009

Can anyone tell me if this spelling is correct?  Cannot find...sounds like "sin-E-angiocardiogram".  Thanks! ...

Which Is The Correct Spelling?
Nov 25, 2009

hemachromatosis or hemochromatosis ...

? About Spelling/correcting
Feb 21, 2010

Anyone ever had this happen? You spell something and you know it's right, plain and simple - however, the doctor corrects you on it, but its still wrong!! Do you spell it "wrong" -just for him only- to make him happy so he doesnt think you're not doing your job right or do you keep on spelling it "right", which he says is "wrong"?   ...

Word And Spelling Help Please
Feb 25, 2010

I have checked about 6 online dictionaries and googled it and can not find spelling for s/l tympanonomoscopy.  Any ENT people out there who can confirm the spelling of this?  He is saying tym-pan-o-ma-scopy.  This is a toddler with possible otitis media (as most of you probably guessed). ...

Segway Spelling Please
Mar 14, 2010

This is coming up misspelled when I spell check it... does anyone know the correct spelling of segway meaning transition?  Thanks! ...

Spelling Of A Work
Aug 04, 2010

Is the spelling of the following word correct?  neurobiochemical ...

Cyst Spelling
Jun 16, 2011

In my Stedman's Plastic Surgery Words book, it is spelled tricholemmal, but the physician and other references spell it trichilemmal.  Does anyone know the correct spelling?  Thanks!  ...

Word Spelling
Mar 29, 2011

Help!!  Is it written nonsurgically or non-surgically? ...

Looking For Spelling Of Med. S/l Flow X
Jul 12, 2011

Spelling Of Qvar
Aug 08, 2011

I got feedback that the drug Qvar should be all capitalized. I have never seen it this way before. Is this correct? ...

Spelling Of Medication
Sep 16, 2011

Med sounds like Inclenon.  I can't seem to find this anywhere.  Any suggestions?  Thanks. ...

Correct Spelling?
Apr 20, 2013

Is it plantarflexion or plantar flexion? ...

Correct Spelling.
May 10, 2013

In reference to a catheterization report, the provider stated what sounded like Roto Ablation, the MTE typed roto ablation, in researching I have found both, but I have edited it as rotablation. Is roto ablation correct term to use? ...

Why Is ASR Spelling Out All Numbers
May 19, 2014

Last time I was notified numbers were allowed at the beginning of sentences anyway. Really getting to be a PIA.. ...

Doctor Spelling Everything Out
May 05, 2015

Why does a long time doctor, good dictator, suddenly start spelling everything out?  Doesn't MModal screen to prevent bad transcriptionionists from being hired?  ...

FB Spelling Error For A QA Person!
Jun 29, 2010

I had a FB friend suggestion and I decided to go and check it out:   Employer:  _ _ _ _-_ _ _ (2009) Qaulity Assurance Editor At least now I know I won't apply for the opening this company has posted...if the QA people can't spell, what does that say about the company? Lesson in this is:  ALWAYS check your grammar and spelling no matter where you are posting.  You never know who is looking and for what purpose. ...

Need Spelling For S/l KO Case Inhibitor??
Jun 28, 2010

. ...

Help With Spelling Of Sesio Osteochondroma
May 28, 2010

s/l sesio osteochondroma ...

1, Possibly 2 Medications, And Spelling Help Please?
Aug 04, 2010

Not sure of the spelling for either.  Also, not sure if these are 2 separate medications or if they should be separated by a comma.  Any help is appreciated. Also, if you are familiar, please indicate whether they are brand or generic meds.    amiodipine danazopril oral ...

Poll: Spelling Pet Peeves
Sep 24, 2010

These drive me nuts when I see them! "I could care less" ... WRONG!  It is "I could not/couldn't care less" --  In other words, there is no more "caring" left!  LOL Rediculous ... WRONG!   It is "ridiculous." Pleural when "plural" is needed! You're vs your.   You're stands for "you are"!  Your is a possessive! Ok.  Your turn!   ...

Do We Still Use Numeric Form Of 1-9 Instead Of Spelling Out Out, Two, Etc.? NM
Nov 24, 2010

x ...

Vitamin Alginal?...doc Spelling
Jan 14, 2011

Doctor spelled this vitamin, very clear speaker. ...