A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

? about spelling/correcting - mmmcoffee

Posted: Feb 21, 2010

Anyone ever had this happen?

You spell something and you know it's right, plain and simple - however, the doctor corrects you on it, but its still wrong!! Do you spell it "wrong" -just for him only- to make him happy so he doesnt think you're not doing your job right or do you keep on spelling it "right", which he says is "wrong"?

first of all, make 200% sure that your version is right, - what is it about?

[ In Reply To ..]
THEN draw his/her attention to it, by telling him/her that you did a lot of research and your result is different.

Maybe he/she is right? Tell him that you are confused and you want to clear up this matter. I would not continue to type it his/her way if you can prove that you are right.

But often there are cases where both versions are accepted as correct, then you have to type it as HE/SHE wants it, because this is then client's preference, even if the BOS states that your version is also correct.

Anyway, be "submissive" in your approach. lol.

Tell me what it is!

Spelling - MT

[ In Reply To ..]
If you are working for an agency, you can't go to the dictator. You could send it to QA, but if I am 100% certain that I am correct and that there is no alternative spelling, I just spell it the way I know is right and ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS look it up even if I "know" I'm right. A GOOD medical dictionary (Dorland's or Stedman's) is my source for this sort of thing, at least in terms of actual medical terminology. For drugs, I use Saunders. Forget a Google search. That brings up all sorts of interesting, creative things.

P stated DOCTOR, not dictator, so obviously direct w/ doctor - ??

[ In Reply To ..]
and NO middleman.

Stedman's books (electronic) are the BEST. Is there an electronic Dorland's? I doubt, too old.

Google is great if one knows what to look for and HOW to select.

I quote from your post:

"I just spell it the way I know is right and ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS look it up even if I "know" I'm right."

Duh?

Isn't this a contradiction?

Or are you saying that you look up EVERYTHING, every single word, term, or med?
I Am Saying... - MT
[ In Reply To ..]
I do believe there is an electronic Dorland's.

I am saying that I always look things up before I question what was dictated.
? spelling - spitfire
[ In Reply To ..]
Hi,have you tried using pogofrog.com?? It's supposed to be for docs and other medical personnel. I've had really good luck in cking spelling of all kinds of medical terms including instruments, tests, etc. I have also used Dorland's online which is more of a condensed version, but still good. Pogofrog.com though has always been very good.

OP said: THE DOCTOR CORRECTS YOU ON IT.. - need new glasses?

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Doctors often cannot string together - a coherent sentence.

[ In Reply To ..]
They are also constantly telling us how to punctuate (most of the time incorrectly).

If a doctor spells out something in a report and I don't immediately know the word, I look it up. If the doctor spelled it wrong, I type it the right way. If it is a term I know the correct spelling of already, I ignore the doctor's spelling and type it the correct way.

Our job is to be as accurate as possible. Why would you want to put out an incorrect document just because the doctor said so? Rhetorical question.

Pretty simple to me.

again: Sometimes 2 versions are accepted as correct - see inside

[ In Reply To ..]
then she has to type the version that the DOCTOR wants, since HE/she is the CLIENT.

AMEN !

wow !

You are so very right, during 25 years or so, happens ALL THE TIME....sm - Cyndiee

[ In Reply To ..]
I have actually had doctors tell me in the hospitals or clinics "you know what I mean, if I am wrong, you are my dictionary" or something such. One doctor who was American but horrid with grammar and punctuation called me his "editor" because he knew I had an English lit background in school before I switched over, and he "depended on me to make him look smart, he knew the medical facts, I had to make him sound great." Seriously, type the correct form/spelling, no doctor would want a report to go out with horrible, embarrasing grammar, spelling, and medication errors, etc. And my MTSOs since I have been at home have agreed. JMHO

not all doctors are dumb! - duh!

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

why don't you post the "black sheep" here. let us decide... - ?

[ In Reply To ..]
or are you just being proactive, in case of....?

Similar Messages:

Correcting Spelling - Which Is More Time Efficient?
Nov 22, 2010

Fixing errors on the fly or letting them stay until you spellcheck the entire document?  If it's a they're/there/their type of error, obviously you have to fix it ASAP, but for the ones where your fingers just make a major flub that gets red lined, which do you find to be a better use of time?  I can't stand seeing all those red lines, so I almost always backspace and make the correction right away, but I'm wondering if that isn't more of a time waster than n ...

Spelling Versus Not Spelling
Feb 11, 2011

I never thought I'd say this, but a dictator can do too much spelling.  There is one at my company who spells out every single medication.  While this is normally helpful, this doctor's pronounciation leaves a little to be desired.  It would be much simpler for him to just say the name of the medication.  ...

If Everybody Has Been Correcting The
Mar 11, 2015

garbled mess ASR puts to Eliquis, for example, for a couple of years now & it still hasn't "learned" the term, I have doubts it's set to learn at all.... seriously.... ...

Correcting Grammar
Feb 05, 2010

Do you correct the dictator's grammer? My 12 year old niece just recently corrected my mom when my mom said she was laying in bed.  Taylor went on to explain the difference between laying and lying.  I learned that in school but certainly had forgotten that rule. When the dictator says "The patient is laying in bed", do you correct it to lying?  Just curious.  I've had no complaints and I hate sending out dictation with grammatical errors.  ...

Correcting VR Question.
Jan 08, 2013

Does anybody happen to know if there's a best way to correct VR to hopefully have it actually "learn"?  For example, is it better to completely delete and reinsert the "respiratory" part in an error like "respiratory clear breath sounds" by using my expansion for the capped RESPIRATORY: heading, or would it supposedly learn better if I used case change and added the colon?  In other words, are corrections to existing text better or deletions/insertions instead? I don't ...

Correcting The Dictators
Jul 11, 2013

Just a small rant here.  WHY in the world do companies tell US, the MT to change this or that when the DOCTOR says it?  An example....VR work, hospital policy is dates in numeric, so doctor dictates June 22, VR types June 22, but we have to change this to 06/22.  Hospital says don't say patient names, but doctor dictates Mr. Smith, VR types Mr. Smith and WE have to change to "the patient".   I mean, wouldn't it be MUCH more simple to just TELL the doctors to say it ...

When Correcting The V-wreck
May 22, 2014

I can't help but think of my days and months of training and if I consistently put out work like I am correcting, I would have been fired in a New York minute!!!  Please don't post the normal you can get out, it's your fault for staying, blah, blah, blah.  I just wish someone would listen as to what a mess this is and the chances of mistakes getting through because there are so many corrections and words that are not even medical or consistent with the report.  Just ...

I Am So Sick Of Correcting > 50% Of MM ASR For 4 Cents.
Feb 17, 2013

. ...

I Feel Like I Am Correcting ILP Work.
May 12, 2015

MM ASR output looks just like ILP work. We really should be getting paid at least 2x to correct this junk. If they are indeed running ILP work through to "train" the program, send it to the ILP! ...

Correcting Typos - Opinions/survey - Sm
Feb 11, 2011

Just curious - do you all correct any typos AS you type or wait to do it/them at the end of the report?  I do mine as I type; just curious if others have a better way. Also, each day have a different word that won't "TYPE" out right that day - today is  STONE....this is coming out SEONT...dyslexic today.  But each day it's a different word that just won't behave.  Always interesting to see what my fingers will pick each day.  Anyone else have this h ...

Please, MME, Use Your Brain When Correcting/filling In Blanks.
Dec 18, 2012

There has to be a fine line between vertabatim and what is transcribed. :- Blanks are sometimes left for a reason, and anyone with the knowledge they should have to do QA should know when the value and/or unit of measurement is impossible. The measurement unit the doctor dictated, probably by mistake, was impossible. If that value was so, that duct would have been half the height of the patient. Although, the doctor was ESL, so he may not have known the difference anyway. At least I know ...

Correcting Redundant Grammar And Dinged By QA
Aug 09, 2013

Okay, I just started working here and I've been trying to keep my reports perfect.  When a doctor says "past medical history," I've been just typing "medical history" because isn't past and history together being redundant?  I'm still on 100% QA and all my feedback has the "past" put back in.  I'm not on a verbatim account, so shouldn't me correcting this be okay?   ...

How Many Spend Considerable Time Correcting Demographic Errors?
Mar 21, 2013

I can't believe the number of errors entering the wrong demographics, apparently by the clients, that we have to research and clean up for zero pay! ...

Spelling Bee
Apr 22, 2010

I have just recently noticed a LOT of spelling going on.  Just now doc spelled Imuran and Toprol.  Yesterday it was simple things like "lingual."  It is on different accounts and by different doctors.  ...

S/l Zashia But Spelling For Sure?
Nov 16, 2009

Sounds so clear "Zashia" but the spelling is incorrect.  Does anyone have the correct spelling for this drug?  Thanks!!! ...

Cineangiocardiograms? Spelling?
Nov 19, 2009

Can anyone tell me if this spelling is correct?  Cannot find...sounds like "sin-E-angiocardiogram".  Thanks! ...

Which Is The Correct Spelling?
Nov 25, 2009

hemachromatosis or hemochromatosis ...

Word And Spelling Help Please
Feb 25, 2010

I have checked about 6 online dictionaries and googled it and can not find spelling for s/l tympanonomoscopy.  Any ENT people out there who can confirm the spelling of this?  He is saying tym-pan-o-ma-scopy.  This is a toddler with possible otitis media (as most of you probably guessed). ...

Segway Spelling Please
Mar 14, 2010

This is coming up misspelled when I spell check it... does anyone know the correct spelling of segway meaning transition?  Thanks! ...

Spelling Of A Work
Aug 04, 2010

Is the spelling of the following word correct?  neurobiochemical ...

Cyst Spelling
Jun 16, 2011

In my Stedman's Plastic Surgery Words book, it is spelled tricholemmal, but the physician and other references spell it trichilemmal.  Does anyone know the correct spelling?  Thanks!  ...

Word Spelling
Mar 29, 2011

Help!!  Is it written nonsurgically or non-surgically? ...

Looking For Spelling Of Med. S/l Flow X
Jul 12, 2011

Spelling Of Qvar
Aug 08, 2011

I got feedback that the drug Qvar should be all capitalized. I have never seen it this way before. Is this correct? ...

Spelling Of Medication
Sep 16, 2011

Med sounds like Inclenon.  I can't seem to find this anywhere.  Any suggestions?  Thanks. ...

Correct Spelling?
Apr 20, 2013

Is it plantarflexion or plantar flexion? ...

Correct Spelling.
May 10, 2013

In reference to a catheterization report, the provider stated what sounded like Roto Ablation, the MTE typed roto ablation, in researching I have found both, but I have edited it as rotablation. Is roto ablation correct term to use? ...

Thanks For The Spelling Lesson, Doc
Nov 28, 2013

I'm not sure what got into Dr. Knucklehead's brain tonight, but he's spelling words like pannus, Trileptal, anasarca (which he spelled wrong).  It's bad enough he's doing it as often as he is because he's completely messing up the voice recognition for his drafts, but he has spelled pannus every freaking time he has said it. The patient has cellulitis below her pannus, so the word is coming up a lot in this report.   I have one more hour to go and then a ...

Why Is ASR Spelling Out All Numbers
May 19, 2014

Last time I was notified numbers were allowed at the beginning of sentences anyway. Really getting to be a PIA.. ...

Doctor Spelling Everything Out
May 05, 2015

Why does a long time doctor, good dictator, suddenly start spelling everything out?  Doesn't MModal screen to prevent bad transcriptionionists from being hired?  ...