A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Help..someone with information on Focus! - Disgusted

Posted: Dec 03, 2009

Could someone give me the dirt on Focus?  Hours, work, supervisors, QA, workload>  Thanks in advance!...

Plenty - Archives

[ In Reply To ..]
I wanted to know the same thing. There is plenty in the archives.

I can say this - onemore

[ In Reply To ..]
I am in the process of starting with them. Although it has been a lengthy process, they seem so far to be well organized and I have received some useful information on sites, etc. As for the pay, it is VR editing, so any way you look at it, the pay is horrible, but is a job to get me by for now. They only hire as employees, which means if you are out of work and they do not supplement, you at least can claim unemployment. I was given an option of full-time or part-time and when I stated part-time, I was given specific hours to work within, 2-10 or something like that. They do have direct deposit and benefits. Hope this helps.

Please explain: You work PT, that means 5 hours/day... - how?

[ In Reply To ..]
and they give you a time frame from 2:00 p.m. - 10:00 p.m. to turn your reports in?

I was told - onemore

[ In Reply To ..]
I don't remember the exact times, but was asked if I wanted full-time or part-time and I told them part-time and then they said that the hours that are needed for that specific account was between 2-10 and asked what hours between that time I wanted to cover. I did just find out though that they off-shore for overnight work. Ugh! I didn't realize this.
focus - newish
[ In Reply To ..]
I'm not so certain I've made a good move....never enough work for me...there is a lot of transitioning and new accounts coming on board but I don't know how much longer I can hang in...
thanks for explaining.nm - how?
[ In Reply To ..]
nm

In your post, you stated that as an employee - MT4ever

[ In Reply To ..]
you can get unemployment if there is no work available (I assume for long periods of time)? I don't understand how this could work. Would you mind explaining?

Thanks

Focus Informatics - MTstill

[ In Reply To ..]
I am also thinking about starting with Focus. They tell me there is a ton of work and I won't run out. This does not seem to be what I am reading here though. Is anyone working for Focus now and making good money with plenty of work?

They don't run out of work because Dictaphone owns them - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Do you work for them? - MT

[ In Reply To ..]
In a post above, newish said there is not enough work. That is why I am wondering what it is like from someone who works for them.
FOCUS RUN OUT OF WORK - Alice
[ In Reply To ..]
Whoever told you that they never run out of work was sadly mistaken or maybe referring to an account that is an exception to whatever else is there.

This approach reminds me of a car salesman who told me that a certain model was "the best car" on the lot. Though sales "puffing" is not illegal, it certainly is misleading and can be downright incorrect, to put it mildly.

I worked on the EditScript platform. I tried all kinds of shifts and still ran out of work. Whenever they decided (or sold a client an offshore deal on an account), they didn't tell us until the last minute or we would log on and find that the account was gone to India. I left after this happened to me 7 times.

Whenever an account would go offshore or volume was low or nonexistent for some other reason, they were very slow in getting me more work.

I begged for a new account. There were ads on the Internet by Focus, recruiting more MTs, for supposedly "NEW" accounts. However, I didn't have enough work.

I worked mainly on EditScript. When a major section of my work went to India or "the client" decided to use a point-and-click system, doing away with the need for the MTs, I asked to be switched over to one of the "NEW" dictaphone accounts that they were advertising, but was told that I could not switch from EditScript to Dictaphone. It was simply not allowed. I wish I had known then what I know now about the "filing for partial unemployment benefits" option.

BTW, yes, you can file for partial unemployment benefits if your work volume has been depleted through no fault of your own, even if you are still working for the company. Laws may vary from state-to-state, but I was told by the Labor Board of Massachusetts, where FI offices are located, that this option was available.

Currently, I have a friend who still works at Focus and she has been waiting for weeks for a new account assignment, as she runs out of work pretty much every day!!

What I found was it was great for part-time pin money, but not a reliable source for enough work to actually rely on to pay bills. Also, I learned to not expect to find work whenever I would log in; therefore, when work was available, I was pleasantly surprised..

I think it is a shame what some companies tell MTs just to get them to accept a job!!! It should be illegal, IMHO.
Alice, question about partial unemployment - MT
[ In Reply To ..]
It seems to me if you did file for partial unemployment while still working for a company, they would not look too kindly on that, and you would be "let go".
Likely, - Alice
[ In Reply To ..]
I think you are right. However, I'm thinking that it couldn't be possibly that easy for them, and there must be something that an employee could do in response to that.

In a hypothetical situation, since I no longer work there, if it were to happen to me, I would fight it. After being "let go" in response to filing for partial unemployment, it seems that I would then be eligible to claim full unemployment, that they created a hostile working environment and fired me simply because I filed for partial unemployment benefits, no matter what kind of "reasons" that they had drummed up in the process. Then, I'd have to add the details about how they expect employees to sit and wait for work and not get paid, while they are actively hiring new employees, etc.

focus - newish
[ In Reply To ..]
I run out every night. I also am left with the stuff no one wants to do since in my position we route to ourselves. New account on board, "lots of work, overtime" promised, but so far, still run out of work.
Curious - Strange
[ In Reply To ..]
I sent Focus an e-mail and they were really nice writing back. I normally work evenings for my company so I will have plenty of work because everybody wants days. I thought it strange that Focus said they did not have night positions available.
Reply - Alice
[ In Reply To ..]
I never worked days at Focus; there was NEVER any work available to me on days. I regularly ran out of work on 2nd and 3rd shift. Oftentimes, the lack of work was for the entire shift, while I was required to monitor the queue. I did it then, but I wouldn't do it again.

It seems that the only way to find out if this job will work for you, and if there will be enough work, is to try it. It may work out great for you, especially if you do not need the money to pay basic bills, like food and shelter, electricity, etc.

I'm just saying that my personal experience was that the account managers were not totally honest with me regarding the workflow. When the volume was low, they would act like they had no idea what was going on. Later, on several of my accounts, I found out that they knew ahead of time that the accounts were being slowly offshored to India, but they kept it a secret until the last minute.

Recently, I read on this forum that the work goes to India on third shift (?).
Focus is based in India - American MT
[ In Reply To ..]
So the majority of their work is done by the ILPs. The overflow work is done by the US MTs. That's why so many people run out of work. I can't remember who owns whom in the Focus/Nuance/Dictaphone triangle, but their headquarters are in Bangalor (I'm pretty sure). They have offices in the US where they say they are "headquartered" but those are the "cover" offices.

Similar Messages:

Current Information On Focus Infomatics
Aug 11, 2010

Just wanted current information on Focus infomatics.  I think we all know the transcription business is overall heading in a horrible direction with the outsourcing and getting paid less for SR, so that is understood.  I just want to make there is work, how the platform is, Escription, and how the technical assistance is, as I have to supply own computer.  Thanks for the information.  If anyone could tell me if it is like MQ, worse, better, that would help a lot.  Thanks. ...

Hypertype Information - Any Information
Feb 19, 2011

Any information on Hypertype?  Good, bad, and ugly, pay scale, platform?  TIA.  I have passed the test which I took a little more than a week ago.  They want to set up a phone interview but I want to know upfront what current ICs think.  Are they flexible.  Do you have a schedule.  Saw through the archives that the pay is low but how low is low?  TIA. ...

Focus....HELP
Oct 14, 2009

Please let me know if there is anyone out there pleased with focus? I need to find a real job, not one that has no work! HELP!! ...

To Focus FT MTs
Feb 25, 2010

If you currently work FT with Focus could you share approximately or average of your gross montly income from Focus is. I am wondering if it is worthwhile to apply. I currently work as an IC and average $2000-2400 a month, which is fine but I have no benefits. I would like to have a FT job that provides insurance and PTO time but do not want to lose a chunk of my current income. Are you able to make what I currently do being FT? Thanks in advance for your input.  You can priv ...

Any Focus HR?
Mar 19, 2010

I worked for them previously and would love to to again.  Any contacts on this board? ...

FOCUS QA
Apr 30, 2010

I have been working at Focus now for 2 weeks.  I think everyone is nice.  All my QAs have seemed fair except today one QA (and only this one) counts off for blanks.  Well the team lead said you are not penalized for blanks when I hired on.  She said you won't be dinged for blanks.  Well so far I haven't had a QA to ding me for a blank, but today, as I said, one went to town on my reports and dinged for every single one I sent in.  My team lead isn't o ...

W-2 From Focus Yet? 
Jan 26, 2011

Has anyone gotten their W-2 from Focus yet?  ...

How Do You Focus When
Mar 22, 2011

There is such LOUD Indian-type music blaring in the background?  That is all I can hear.  The doctor is mumbling away and all I hear is Ooooohhhhhh, la le laaa, la le laaaaaa, la le laaaahha ha, ohoohohohOOOOOO, lo leeee luuu, loooo le luuuu.   HELP! ...

Focus
Dec 02, 2014

Recently I had the benefit of hearing someone speak on where our focus lies.  It wasn't a talk about employment at all, but I started thinking about it today as I read through the posts on this board. The jest of the talk was that if you focus on the negative you'll be grouchy, have more pain, be less productive, and generally be miserable.  If your focus is on the positive, though, suddenly you're happy in spite of miserable circumstances. I was hoping with this forum ...

Know About Focus Infomatics?
Nov 13, 2009

What do you fine folks know about Focus Infomatics (sp)?  What kind of platform?  Thanks everyone in advance.  ...

Any Focus/Infomatics QC Out There
Nov 21, 2009

Anyone out there who is working as a QC for Focus Infomatics and making a decent living?  I'm newish to this position and am struggling to make a buck.  I need some comfirmation I made a good move.  So far, not so good and I'm hoping I get into a better groove quick enough to move and make some decent money.  Any success stories very much appreciated! ...

Focus Info
Dec 03, 2009

What does Focus Infomatics require for line count for FT and PT? How long do they allow you to come up to that? ...

Eyes Don't Want To Focus
Dec 04, 2009

My eyes do not want to focus today.  I have to actually think and make them focus on my computer screen.  I had to put my glasses on already today.  Does anyone else have this problem ever?  Is this an occupational hazard or is there something wrong with me?  I do work a FT job and a PT job totalling over 60 hours a week, maybe my eyes are just extremely tired.  ...

FOCUS PAY SCALE
Feb 11, 2010

I posted this question below but fear it will be buried. To those of you just hired at Focus, how's the pay scale? I currently make 8.5 straight/4.5 editing. Is it comparable to, higher than or lower than that? I'd never ask anyone to divulge their pay scale but I'm trying to get a feel for if it's better than where I'm at.  TIA to anyone willing to give me a ballpark hint here! ...

Focus- Can Anyone Tell Me If There Is Any Work To Go Around?
Feb 21, 2010

I want to apply because they said there are new accounts etc. Then, I checked the archives and as early as December, people were claiming to running out of work every day because a lot of the work goes to India. They also were told that there would be new accounts but somehow they vanished and they ended up with no work. I really want to find a good stable home with a lot of work but I am nervous now to apply. It seems a constant theme for companies to advertise NEW ACCOUNTS, HERE WE GROW AGAIN ...

Focus Informatics.....sm
Mar 11, 2010

They did get back to me and have gotten the ball rolling on my hiring now, so, hoping soon to get started with them.  I just got a little worried when I had sent in some personal info and then didnt hear anything, but we're getting it done now.  I'm lookin forward to it and hoping all will go well.    ...

Focus Info.
Mar 29, 2010

Is there anyone here that currently works for Focus? I'm having a lot of trouble getting started. I'm being QA'd to death. One minute they tell me to do something and another they tell me the opposite. I'm getting frustrated and I'm sick of doing ESL work. Some are fine, don't get me wrong. But, if the speaker mumbles, slurs and just generally does not speak clearly, please do not lecture me about not understanding him. I just need fellow sufferers/workers to vent t ...

Focus Or Transcend?
Apr 14, 2010

Any information would be appreciated.  Let it rip . . .     ...

Anyone Know Anything About Focus Infomatics?
May 04, 2010

I received an e-mail today from a recruiter at Focus Infomatics.  I applied there last year and didn't meet their experience criteria but the e-mail asked me to send them an updated resume to see if I do now (and I do).  I currently work for MQ and quite frankly, I could take it or leave it.  I've not been impressed by MQ but I don't see a reason to leave a job I'm not fond of for another job I may like even less.  Any info about them would be greatly ...

Focus Infomatics...sm
Jun 14, 2010

I see only one fairly recent post on Focus Infomatics and the responder just said "Indian owned company, I believe."  Does anyone out there know for sure?  Does anyone out there work for this company and, if yes, would you recommend them?  IThanks! ...

Focus/Nuance
Aug 01, 2010

Am going to test with them and had to read their preemployment skills assessment book - are they good to work for?  Are they extremely picky, I see a point system listed for errors...Punitive QA or helpful QA?  Flexible?  Pay decent? ...

Focus Question
Aug 09, 2010

I am testing for Focus and I was wondering if a QC Editor is the same as a VR Editor.  I have worked on Dictaphone ExEditor and I enjoy VR.  I just wanted to be sure this wasn't where you were editing stuff already typed by an MT, but where you were editing the text created by speech recognition.  Thanks! ...

Time Up Focus
Aug 16, 2010

i gave Focus Info(maniacs) recruiter a 5-hr window for interview today because of time zone. Sad she couldn't even do that. ...

Anyone Currently Working For Focus? I Need A New Job SM
Sep 02, 2010

because of low work.  I really like Escription so would like to find something with that platform.  Wondering about Focus.... ...

SOOO Fed Up With FOCUS
Sep 23, 2010

I am soo fed up with this company.  I am an experienced MT and have been on their "crappy" training rate for three months.  I get "dinged" in lab values if I add commas and the platelet count is 348,000  have to change everything to semicolons then if patelet count is just 38 commas are fine.  I have done QA and NEVER dinged anyone for stuff like this.  Of course, this wonderful company as well wants VERBATIM  -- heaven forbid you add "a or the" to have something ma ...

ADIEU Focus
Sep 27, 2010

"Where do I begin, to tell the story of how a company screwed me over" and Royally!!!  I started with them mid-June after losing my current job due to unfortuanate and tragic circumstances.  I have been an MT for over 30 years, however, I have never felt so nitpicked or micromanaged in my life (excuse the typos  -- not physically feeling well right now).  There were LARGE discrepancies in my pay  -- at first, they claimed it was "training pay" and had to "add extra incom ...

Is ANYBODY Getting Any Work At Focus, Or Is It Just Me? Sm
Nov 12, 2010

I work on an account that means the same as flag, one of the acute care sections, and I am just getting less and less work.  My emails about it have gone ignored.  I think some phone calls may be in order this weekend.  ...

So Done With Focus (Nuance)
Jan 17, 2011

I am a QC with Focus and I have to say, I am so sick of this company.  I have tried and tried to love them.  I have been with them for a long time and I stuck it out.  I tried.  No more.  My team lead is rude, unprofessional, constantly contradicting herself and just outright mean.  I am tired of editing India's work.  I work my rear off to get my line count (what I need to make) but over the last couple of months, that has been cut in half due to no work. ...

Focus Foward?
Sep 23, 2011

Has anyone had any experience with this company? Are they legit? http://www.fftranscription.com/home.html   ...

Focus/nuance Editors Out There?
Oct 13, 2009

Anyone out there work as an editor for focus infomatics/nuance?  Are you able to make decent money editing?  Thanks for any info. ...