A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Stating solid shifts for IC boldly in the ad. Seriously? - MT

Posted: May 25, 2013

Saw 2 ads posted here alone this week, perhaps there were more. Is it me or is this blantant disregard for IRS rules for IC. These ads state specific shifts and state for IC. Aren't these chancy moves on the part of the MTSO to actually put it in print publicly? Can't they get in trouble just for that? I am wondering if things have changed in rules for IC by the IRS or if I am losing my mind. Just touching base here for a reality check. 

PS: I am not saying it isn't a 24/7 business, I am not questioning the need for coverage. I am just wondering if rules for IC have changed according to tax laws and they can set a schedule now. That is all.

Thanks for helping me check my reality, b/c right now I am wondering if my mind has been lost in the muddle of all of this...

reality check - again

[ In Reply To ..]
Having a set schedule is not the ONLY rule of control set by the IRS. I see post after post on this board shouting disbelief at the thought that an IC should not be required to work a set schedule. People need to educate themselves instead of crying the sky is falling.

The IRS has more than one criteria for determining who has control and whether a worker is an employee or an IC. It is NOT based solely on whether a worker must work a set schedule. Welcome to 2013.

Not to sound stupid, then they can set a schedule for ICs? - MT

[ In Reply To ..]
From your post you say it is ok? Not second guessing you just trying to understand fact of the matters.

This is what it says on the IRS 20 Factor Test - MT2

[ In Reply To ..]
"Flexibility of schedule: People whose hours or days of week are dictated by a company are apt to qualify as employees."
This is an extremely helpful link. Everyone should look at it - MT
[ In Reply To ..]
Read all the way through. It even gives a sample of an IC contract.
Thanks for all your responses. This made it very clear. :D
Set schedule for ICs - Anon
[ In Reply To ..]
They CANNOT Set a schedule for an IC. If they do, you are an EMPLOYEE. Also, they cannot tell you a specific way the work is to be done; if the client requires you to look up patient information in paperwork, verify referring doctors, put addresses and phone numbers into reports, verify amount of contrast used, etc etc this also qualifies you as an EMPLOYEE! In other words, if they CONTROL how the work is to be done, you are not an IC. Go on the IRS.GOV website and read all the requirements necessary to be classified as an IC. Most of these companies are not following this guideline so they don't have to pay state and fed taxes, worker's comp, Social security, paid vacations, etc. They win..and we lose in the long run! I won a case against a company who classified me as an IC when in reality, I was not.! Not sure if she is still in business..if she is, she shouldn't be. I'm pretty sure she will be required to pay all necessary back taxes for all her "ICS" wrongly classified. Oh well..
THEY do not set schedule. THEY say when they need MT, - MT decides yes or no. nm
[ In Reply To ..]
x
What did you get out of lawsuit? Were sista MTs glad glad U - closed down MTSO and lost their jobs? nm
[ In Reply To ..]
x

According to the IRS it is all about control. If the... - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
MTSO requires a set schedule you are an employee because the MTSO is controlling when you can do your work. Because these MTSOs have largely gone unnoticed by the IRS, they have become more brazen about their illegal hiring practices.

IMO, MTSO is simply stating when IC is needed. Up to - IC to say yes or no to working SM

[ In Reply To ..]
for that MTSO. I see it as IC saying "Yes, I can work between XX and XX. If IC doesnt want to be avaiable during those hours, dont take the job. Easy Peasy.

I researched through speaking... - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
with my local DOL and the IRS and was told the exact same thing. An MTSO can say "We need an IC between the hours of XX and XX" and as an IC you can say yes, you are available then, or no, doesn't work for you and they find someone else. You then make a contract where you BOTH agree that the "schedule" is what works for you.

The only difference in IC is they can't require you work overtime, or change your schedule or do anything else that is not in the contract. You also are not required to "call in sick" as with being an IC it is your CHOICE to work those hours, BUT not sticking to the contract on your part could cause them to terminate the contract and find someone else.

Being an IC does not mean that you come and go as you like IF the MTSO has a certain time frame in which they need the work done.

We all know it is still shady business on the MTSOs part and here is the part that I was informed was wrong. An IC position should be somewhat of a TEMPORARY position, to complete a job for someone, not an ongoing year by year basis. That is the part that you should report to the IRS and the DOL. If they are "permanently" hiring a person, then they need to hire that person as an employee. If they need an account caught up, then that would classify as IC.

But MT can never assume her job is permanent. Job for MT - should always be considered SM

[ In Reply To ..]
temporary, IMO. We all know we can wake up one day with no work, thus our jobs should be considered temporary. I never knew of any MTSO hiring an MT on a permanent basis. Continued work depends entirely on the acct, not the MTSO.
Doesn't make sense - ?
[ In Reply To ..]
With that perspective then just about ALL jobs should be temporary. An MTSO is not anticipating losing an account when they hire MTs, but yes, "stuff happens".

With what you are saying, then doctor's could lose patients, stores could lose customers, attorneys could lose clients, etc. We all know that a business can be here today, gone tomorrow, but that DEFINITELY does not make it a "temporary" situation with people they need to work for them.
We are talking IC, not store employee. - nm
[ In Reply To ..]
x

Every audio file you transcribe could be your last. - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
One day your client (or MTSO) can have loads of work and other days none. Don't think for one minute when there is no work you won't be told that you are an IC and even though your contract states you agreed to certain hours that they won't come back then and say, but you're not an employee, so we need not supply you work during those times.

ICs most definitely come and go as they please. I don't call the plumber and tell them when they are going to come fix my bathtub. I call them and they tell me when they are coming and a lot of the time it is a four to five hour block of time. No real appointment necessarily.

As an IC, you own your own business. The MTSO is your client.

The MTSO is your employer when they contribute to your tax burden. Only then can they dictate your hours or your schedule.

Furthermore, with MT, the volumes fluctuate, so MTSOs needing MTs are better off contracting with ICs due to that volume fluctuation.

If an MTSO needs a set shift covered, then they need employees, not contractors.

so being hired as an IC, can we almost assume - scoutMT

[ In Reply To ..]
these will be not be permanent; in other words, after a certain amount of time you will be let go, just to satisfy this aspect of being an IC - so they are not accused of hiring 'permanent' ICs. Is this why they are perpetually looking for MTs?

I apologize ahead of time: My browser does not show the right side of my posts so I am typing blind. I made the page smaller but to no avail...
No. Not that IC will be let go to satisfy IRS. Just MT as a whole - can be gone for MT the next day. SM
[ In Reply To ..]
Just the nature of the beast. If facility gets lower price, will pull accts is an example. So, no MTSO will not fire MT to keep IRS happy. But accts can disappear at any time making MT very much NOT permanent.

LIke telling plumber you will only be home during XX to XX. - He decides if he can be at your

[ In Reply To ..]
house to do the work or not. It is not like you are making him your employee.

Exactly what is the benefit to the MT of working...sm - MT

[ In Reply To ..]
as an IC if required to adhere to a specific schedule? Answer: None. A company that needs a specific schedule filled should be hiring employees not ICs. These MTSOs are TAX EVADERS.

Benefit for me of being IC is not being told by IRS I can only work so - many hours. If I want to work more SM

[ In Reply To ..]
than 40 hours, I can without having IRS all up in my bizniss. I can make more on production than what any would pay me per hour so working more is to my advantage.

Fair enough. Do you fit the profile for a legal MT? Are you paid... - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Paid enough more per line over what an employee is paid to compensate for taxes and benefits? It sounds like you have flexibility in your schedule if you are working much in excess of 40 hours a week for one client.
I also have PT employee job, which really helps with - the taxes. Bennies thru DH work. nm
[ In Reply To ..]
x

Great post! I could not have said it better myself! - True IC here... nm

[ In Reply To ..]
xx

Too bad that post was not true. - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x

and the point is? - ICs CAN work a schedule

[ In Reply To ..]
If a company needs coverage for x, y, z then they say so. That in and of itself does not violate the IRS rules. Talk to any IRS agent and they'll tell you the rules are guidelines, not something poured in cement. If you take into consideration all the other ways MTSOs break the rules by telling you how the job is to be done, software to use, etc, then you have a better case of complaining than you do because they said they needed you 9-5.

Similar Messages:

What Shifts Offered/what Shifts Do You Work?
Feb 23, 2014

I will switch to employee in a few weeks. Do they offer you certain shifts or do you pick your hours? Does everyone work weekends? How many hours per week is considered part time? Do they pay more for later shifts? Any other info ? Thanks ahead of time. ...

Yes, Please Let Me Sit Here For 5 Solid Minutes While You Take A Break To Eat
Oct 09, 2014

x ...

Solid Information On What Is Going On With Landmark Transcription
Aug 17, 2010

Does anyone have any solid information on what is going on with Landmark?  I know they are doing layoffs, a friend of mine was laid off, but my account seems to be fully functional, no change in work status.  Someone said they they are closing and I was wondering if I should bail out or stick around.  ...

Doctor Is Stating
May 23, 2011

"dermaclens" or "dermaclenz" ????  I can find a Derma-Clens when I google but it is used by vets.  Any suggestions?  TIA.  ...

Why Are They Job Posting Stating Up To 12 Cpl
Apr 18, 2015

I just saw a job ad for Nuance stating "You can earn up to .12788 cents per line."   Really?!  Not on the Bayscribe/Integra platforms!!!!   They knocked us down to .105 as the MOST we can make.  Is this part of their making it fair across the platforms BS?  I'm pissed.  When they switch us to a Nuance platform, will our pay go up to that?!  Grr ...

Got An E-mail Stating I Could Test Up To MME
Mar 21, 2013

I believe it is just another way to cut my pay further. ...

Mitchem Consulting Posting An Ad Stating That It Is
Feb 06, 2012

an IC position for a whole whopping 6 cpl.  Oh gonna grab that one...NOT! ...

Oh Goodie, I Got An Email Stating I Have A Mentor For ASR.
Apr 11, 2012

ie, the shadow mentoring. They say their methods have been effective in increasing ASR production. We will see... The one good thing is they will get to see exactly how much I have to correct their ASR! It might be more educational for them than me. :) I use all the short cuts provided, but I do listen to every single word. ...

Article Stating To Keep Medical Transcription In
Dec 29, 2012

http://www.ahdpg.com/blog/a-call-out-to-u-s-hospitals-to-help-put-americans-back-to-work/ ...

To QA: I Got A Comment Back Stating To Place The QA Marker
Jan 04, 2010

I always thought I had been doing that, but I got this message more than once, so I'd like to see if any QA here can clarify this.  CCM has no idea what she means ????  I always understood to place the QA marker right where I hear the blank and that is what I thought I was doing.  Any suggestions or comments as to what could be happening?  I don't want to make the QA's job any more difficult than it already is.....  TIA..... ...

Mumbling ER Doctor. Stating Allergy To S/L Sarandian. Sm
Apr 09, 2010

I'm not finding anything resembling this, even after listening multiple times, slowing down, speeding up. Any ideas?  Thanks. ...

New E-mail Today From Payroll Stating New PTO Rate
Jul 23, 2010

Did anybody get an e-mail like this today?  Just about 4 PM when I was starting my shift, I got a letter from payroll saying I would now be getting $7.50 an hour when I take PTO, when before I was told by payroll, it would be $9.50 an hour. This is the rate you have when you take a module or are in an MT conference. Anyways, ever since I started with Spheris, I got $9.50 an hour and have continued at this pay even after Medquist took over.  They said it is based on production since De ...

Got E Mail From My CCM Stating That Someone Called Trying To Get Access To MT's Computer
Jan 25, 2013

Very strange. Why would anyone want access to our work computer and how would they get our phone number and know we work for Mmodal.  Every day it gets stranger and stranger ...

Is It Legal To Ask A Person To Sign An Agreement Stating They Sm
Apr 04, 2013

will not comment about a company, including their payroll practices, here or on any social media? I know why the stipulation is there, since the company has not paid on time EVER and they were trashed here because of it, but if someone comes on the board and asks about the company, I would feel it within my rights to warn that person that if you need a reliable pay day, this is not the place. I have until Saturday to decide if I sign this document. I'm thinking about walking away anyway. ...

In The Mail Today I Got A Letter Stating I Was Eligible For A Pell Grant.
Apr 21, 2010

I had to look up what it was because I had never heard of it.  Turns out they are given to poor folks.   I don't know what made them send it to me but it does have my name on it so I know it is for me.   They must know I work at Transcend.  It is only good for vocational training, cannot be for more than one year and must focus on skills necessary for securing entry level employment.  I don't know what direction to go in from here.  I ...

I Woke Up This Morning To An Email Stating I Lost My Job Due To Lack Of Work
Jan 24, 2012

Don't know what to think, she said due to the mandatory EMR they have lost many of their accounts with no notice so they have to go to a skeleton crew and I'm out.  Don't even know if I will get the last three paychecks she owes me either.  Does anybody know of any companies that are hiring? ...

Shifts
Feb 13, 2011

Does Medquist give you a shift time and expect you to be at your computer working during that shift? What are the shift times, for ex is first shift 7 a.m. to 4 p.m.? Thanx for any help you can give me. ...

Why Only 2nd And 3rd Shifts Available
Feb 26, 2011

There are companies, which I know have outsourced a majority of work to India, that are seeking US MTs but only for 2nd and/or 3rd shifts.  Curious as to why seeing as how when it is 8:00 a.m. here (central) it is 7:00 p.m. in India and the rationale in sending all of our work to India is because companies supposedly couldn't find adequate coverage for 2nd and 3rd shifts here in the states, yet that is exactly what they are hiring for...no 1st shifts available, or very few, in the stat ...

TT And Bonus. It Is Only For 2nd And 3rd Shifts.
Oct 31, 2010

You can't tell me that all this is because of auditing and all those let go were on 2nd and 3rd shifts.  Bonus money, but no increases.  Plus what accounts and what programs with horrible dictators.  I am sure that it is, again, you have to walk on water.  ...

Change Of Shifts
Dec 21, 2010

Has anyone else had the call from CCM asking you to switch shifts or to move to graveyards?  What have you done?  I work a late split shift already Tuesday through Saturday and got a call about why I missed work (NJA).  I don't think I can work a third shift and don't know how far they will push this.  They said they will float me to other BOBs in order to keep me busy when they run out of work in mine.  The only problem with that is that it will bring my wage ...

Ever Have Those Shifts When Every Report You
Jun 15, 2011

get is horrible.  80% of my reports this morning have been ESL's who I swear were dictating in their sleep.  Slurred speech, impossible to understand.  Blanks galore today.  The kinda shift that makes you wonder if youeven  know what you are doing.  Oh well, only a little over an hour left and then I think I will go back to bed for a little bit to reset my brain.....it is fried (not to mention my nerves!). ...

WMX And 12 Hour Shifts
Feb 16, 2011

I saw someone post they were no longer offering 12 hours to get your 8 hours work done in.  Are they taking it away from the ones already on that schedule?  Gulp!!! ...

Hours In Shifts
Mar 15, 2011

Have a question on shifts. Many of the jobs on the boards say 2nd or 3rd shift. In the MT world does that mean 3 to 11 p.m. and 11 to 7 a.m. or is it 4 p.m. to 12 and 12 to 8 a.m.? I have not had a position for a straight shift before, but split my shift at my last job to get in my 8 hours. TIA. :)   ...

Explanation Of Shifts
Jul 23, 2011

I have always worked during the day and am wondering what hours are considered second and third shift. Also, if you work for someone in a different time zone, are your working hours in that time zone or your own time zone? Please explain. Thank you very much. ...

WMX And Changing Shifts
Sep 04, 2011

If you find you aren't happy with the shift you hired on for, do you have to wait 90 days to ask for a change?  Do you just ask your  manager or is there a request form you need to submit?  TIA. ...

Nuance Shifts
Feb 26, 2012

Hi..I was wondering if there is anyone here who works 3rd shift at Nuance.  I have worked there for about a year and was always told the US team couldn't work past 10 EST, but lately I have seen a lot of ads from them hiring for 3rd shift.  Does anyone work that shift and, if so, is there always enough work?  Thanks. ...

Define MT Shifts
Jul 22, 2012

I am a recent MT grad and am wondering if someone can define what 1st, 2nd,and 3rd shifts are for me please! Thank you   ...

What's Up With 7cpl And 2nd And 3rd Shifts?!
Jan 03, 2015

I have noticed all these companies now are paying about 7cpl or 7.5 cpl and 3/3.5 for VR. I remember 12 years ago when I first started 7cpl was starting pay for right out of school. I eventually went up to almost 9cpl before transition to Nuance. Of course the pay went down after that and now once again. Back then 9-10cpl was seen and with MTs who had been doing it a while. Are these ads I see for 7cpl just for no experience? I see TTS does that. What if you have a lot of experience. I was makin ...

Experience With Split Shifts?
May 09, 2011

If you work split shifts, does it feel like you're working all day? Or do you find it works for you? TIA ...

Sorry-meant To Say Nuance Says They Do Have Day Shifts...
May 20, 2012

Sorry, meant to say, Nuance says they have day shifts available... ...