A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Explanation of shifts - Anna Rose

Posted: Jul 23, 2011

I have always worked during the day and am wondering what hours are considered second and third shift. Also, if you work for someone in a different time zone, are your working hours in that time zone or your own time zone? Please explain. Thank you very much.

Shifts - Anna Rose

[ In Reply To ..]
I see that there have been 31 views, but no responses so far. I know it's a stupid question, but I really would like to know the answer. I hesitate to apply for jobs listed as only 2nd and 3rd shift without knowing this information. Please respond. Thank you.

Reply - Just trying to help

[ In Reply To ..]

Maybe you have not gotten a reply because there is not a cut-and-dry time for shifts when it comes to Medical Transcription jobs.  You have to either call or Email the particular company to find out what they consider first, second, or third shift. 

With people working for the same company in different time zones, first shift can start anywhere from 5 A.M. to 9 A.M. (your time) – then just add 8 hours for second, and 8 hours for third. 

Generally, in-house work had the shifts because you went to work in the same time zone, so it went something like this:

First – 7 A.M. to 3 P.M.

Second – 3 P.M. to 11 P.M.

Third (graveyard) – 11 P.M. to 7 A.M. 

For medical transcription, it is whenever they need someone to cover so there are enough MTs working for TAT.  A lot of on-line applications now ask what hours you are available or want to work.  If you limit yourself to a certain timeframe, they may pass you over for someone more flexible or who fits their needs exactly. 

First Shift (Day Shift) could coincide with the available of office and executive staff.  So, if the big wigs at the company that is located on the East Coast arrive for first shift at 7 A.M., but you live on the West Coast, you could be starting your shift at 4 A.M. to coincide with their time schedule. 

A lot of companies are either listing the exact hours they need covered, or are now calling them A.M., Day, or Morning Shift / P.M. or Afternoon Shift / Overnight Shift.

If the hours you want to work are strictly limited to certain hours then you probably should get in contact with the company you want to apply to in order to find out if their shifts coincide with your availability. 

Sorry this was not more helpful. 

shifts - emptyMT

[ In Reply To ..]
The other poster gave a good interpretation but in simpler terms:

First shift aka "day" shift is usually 7:00-3:00 or 8:00-4:00.

Second 3:00-11:00 or 4:00-12:00

Third 11:00-7:00 or 12:00-8:00

MOST of the time, the time zone of the employer is the time zone you have to adhere to.

So if you want first shift and are East coast, don't hook up with a West coast service. :)

Shifts - Anna Rose

[ In Reply To ..]
Thanks so much for the responses. I'm now clearer about what to expect when a job posting states 1st, 2nd or 3rd shift. Since I'm in the Pacific Time Zone, sounds like I'd do well to work for someone in the Eastern Time Zone....those 3 hours make a huge difference!! Thanks again!

agree with emptyMT, except I have always worked the account time zone and that's not - always the MTSO zone. NM

[ In Reply To ..]
x

Similar Messages:

What Shifts Offered/what Shifts Do You Work?
Feb 23, 2014

I will switch to employee in a few weeks. Do they offer you certain shifts or do you pick your hours? Does everyone work weekends? How many hours per week is considered part time? Do they pay more for later shifts? Any other info ? Thanks ahead of time. ...

Pay Stub Explanation
Jul 19, 2011

Would someone please tell me what this means on our pay stubs under HOURS AND EARNINGS: TR QA lines wk I know it has to do with lines transcribed but where does this amount come from? Thanks ...

Explanation Of Coding/Billing
Jul 11, 2011

I am looking at options/alternatives.  Currently an MT with 15+ years.  Can someone tell me what a coding job and/or billing job exactly is (job description)?  What is required of a coder/biller?  Is it a WAH job?    Thanks!  ...

I Am Aggravated Beyond Explanation. Got A Major
Feb 20, 2015

on a report that I know I did not make and it knocked me below 99%. Of course, I can't prove it. It is SO irritating. Okay, through with my rant now. ...

My Manager Is Leaving - No Explanation Why. No Message
Mar 10, 2010

No message. ...

Anyone With TT Get An Explanation Of Why I-Chart Line Counts Are Down? Or Am I...
Feb 10, 2011

the only one having that problem? ...

Anyone In North Who Lost Their Huge Account Last Week With No Explanation?
Apr 19, 2010

nm ...

Shifts
Feb 13, 2011

Does Medquist give you a shift time and expect you to be at your computer working during that shift? What are the shift times, for ex is first shift 7 a.m. to 4 p.m.? Thanx for any help you can give me. ...

Why Only 2nd And 3rd Shifts Available
Feb 26, 2011

There are companies, which I know have outsourced a majority of work to India, that are seeking US MTs but only for 2nd and/or 3rd shifts.  Curious as to why seeing as how when it is 8:00 a.m. here (central) it is 7:00 p.m. in India and the rationale in sending all of our work to India is because companies supposedly couldn't find adequate coverage for 2nd and 3rd shifts here in the states, yet that is exactly what they are hiring for...no 1st shifts available, or very few, in the stat ...

TT And Bonus. It Is Only For 2nd And 3rd Shifts.
Oct 31, 2010

You can't tell me that all this is because of auditing and all those let go were on 2nd and 3rd shifts.  Bonus money, but no increases.  Plus what accounts and what programs with horrible dictators.  I am sure that it is, again, you have to walk on water.  ...

Change Of Shifts
Dec 21, 2010

Has anyone else had the call from CCM asking you to switch shifts or to move to graveyards?  What have you done?  I work a late split shift already Tuesday through Saturday and got a call about why I missed work (NJA).  I don't think I can work a third shift and don't know how far they will push this.  They said they will float me to other BOBs in order to keep me busy when they run out of work in mine.  The only problem with that is that it will bring my wage ...

Ever Have Those Shifts When Every Report You
Jun 15, 2011

get is horrible.  80% of my reports this morning have been ESL's who I swear were dictating in their sleep.  Slurred speech, impossible to understand.  Blanks galore today.  The kinda shift that makes you wonder if youeven  know what you are doing.  Oh well, only a little over an hour left and then I think I will go back to bed for a little bit to reset my brain.....it is fried (not to mention my nerves!). ...

WMX And 12 Hour Shifts
Feb 16, 2011

I saw someone post they were no longer offering 12 hours to get your 8 hours work done in.  Are they taking it away from the ones already on that schedule?  Gulp!!! ...

Hours In Shifts
Mar 15, 2011

Have a question on shifts. Many of the jobs on the boards say 2nd or 3rd shift. In the MT world does that mean 3 to 11 p.m. and 11 to 7 a.m. or is it 4 p.m. to 12 and 12 to 8 a.m.? I have not had a position for a straight shift before, but split my shift at my last job to get in my 8 hours. TIA. :)   ...

WMX And Changing Shifts
Sep 04, 2011

If you find you aren't happy with the shift you hired on for, do you have to wait 90 days to ask for a change?  Do you just ask your  manager or is there a request form you need to submit?  TIA. ...

Nuance Shifts
Feb 26, 2012

Hi..I was wondering if there is anyone here who works 3rd shift at Nuance.  I have worked there for about a year and was always told the US team couldn't work past 10 EST, but lately I have seen a lot of ads from them hiring for 3rd shift.  Does anyone work that shift and, if so, is there always enough work?  Thanks. ...

Define MT Shifts
Jul 22, 2012

I am a recent MT grad and am wondering if someone can define what 1st, 2nd,and 3rd shifts are for me please! Thank you   ...

What's Up With 7cpl And 2nd And 3rd Shifts?!
Jan 03, 2015

I have noticed all these companies now are paying about 7cpl or 7.5 cpl and 3/3.5 for VR. I remember 12 years ago when I first started 7cpl was starting pay for right out of school. I eventually went up to almost 9cpl before transition to Nuance. Of course the pay went down after that and now once again. Back then 9-10cpl was seen and with MTs who had been doing it a while. Are these ads I see for 7cpl just for no experience? I see TTS does that. What if you have a lot of experience. I was makin ...

Experience With Split Shifts?
May 09, 2011

If you work split shifts, does it feel like you're working all day? Or do you find it works for you? TIA ...

Sorry-meant To Say Nuance Says They Do Have Day Shifts...
May 20, 2012

Sorry, meant to say, Nuance says they have day shifts available... ...

Is There Somewhere To Find Out If There Are Other Available Shifts Or Accounts?
Jan 17, 2013

I hate my account and hate the shift. I'd like 7 a.m. to 1-3 p.m. shift. Thanks. ...

Line Minimums And Shifts
Sep 23, 2014

Hi, Does anyone know of any companies who still have 150 or 200 lph minimums?  Also, does anyone know of any companies who offer 12 hour windows with employee status..besides N..been there, done that.  Thanks! ...

Does Anyone Out There Work 10-Hour Shifts?
Jan 02, 2015

Do you like working 10-hour shifts?  Do you get brain dead after 8 hours?  Do your wrists hurt worse?  How long did it take to get used to?    Thanks for your input! ...

What Hours Consist Of 2nd And 3rd Shifts? Nm
Jan 02, 2015

X ...

How Do You Unclaim Shifts On Swap Board?
May 02, 2010

I left a message in post to another post about the Swap (swamp) Board.  I had wayyy too many hours showing I had scheduled to work.  I normally only work 24 hours week (48 hours pay period or maybe 54 at the most).  Mine said 66.50 hours scheduled to work.  I don't recall asking to pick up that many hours here and there.   My CCM said I needed to go in and reclaim the shifts????   She took off where I had approved my timesheet.  But I cannot find ...

Stating Solid Shifts For IC Boldly In The Ad. Seriously?
May 25, 2013

Saw 2 ads posted here alone this week, perhaps there were more. Is it me or is this blantant disregard for IRS rules for IC. These ads state specific shifts and state for IC. Aren't these chancy moves on the part of the MTSO to actually put it in print publicly? Can't they get in trouble just for that? I am wondering if things have changed in rules for IC by the IRS or if I am losing my mind. Just touching base here for a reality check.  PS: I am not saying it isn't a 24/7 b ...

They Wont Fire You If You Refuse To Change Shifts
Sep 11, 2013

That they will consider that you RESIGNED if you refuse to change. They are covering their slimy butts six ways to Sunday. ...

How The Hospital Department Covers Weekend Shifts/hours
Jan 24, 2014

I am curious if anyone is an at-home transcriptionist who works for a hospital and how the department covers weekend shifts/hours. Also curious what kind of hours you are required to work during the week and how many people are on the transcription team.  Or if you'd just share what your company does for scheduling and what the hours are.  I am looking for some ideas for our team.   Small hospital.  Weekend coverage only includes priority jobs (H&Ps). Thanks! ...

"True And Positioning" Shifts Were Made Using Comparison With The CT Simulation
Dec 03, 2010

A 4D CT scan involving a helical CT scan followed by 10 further CT scans throughout the respiratory cycle were obtained at 1.25 axial slices.   "True and positioning" shifts were made using comparison with the CT simulation at the time of treatment planning.  ...

Am I The Only One In A Pod Who Got An Email Re "minor Schedule Shifts"?
Dec 23, 2014