A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Breast-feeding while dictating - oh me oh my

Posted: Jan 13, 2012

Doc slurring words, baby grunting and making a fuss, doc switching breasts, etc, etc, sounded like breast sex with baby for 10 minutes of dictation.  Lovely, absolutely lovely, no wonder no one else wanted to do it.  How many years of education do these docs have under their belts??!!?? 

What's your problem - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
with breast feeding? And what does education and breast feeding have to do with each other?

And as a breast feeding mother I find "breast sex" to be completely ignorant and insulting. It shows what kind of perverted mind you have.

Reply to what's your problem - kitty

[ In Reply To ..]
I think the poster meant with all the education these people have, it seems they would have enough sense not to try to dictate a medical report while breast feeding their child. That should be a quiet,special time for mom and baby. Also, they want these jobs back ASAP and near perfect but give no thought to the fact that there is someone on the other end trying to hear/understand them. I have one who sounds like she is always standing in the middle of a daycare center when she dictates...she is very distracted and it is near impossible to hear her well which cuts into my production pay. They dictate while they drive, go to the bathroom, play with kids, eat etc. and it is very aggravating. I think that is all the previous poster was saying.

she could have said it in a better way? seriously breast sex? - get real people

[ In Reply To ..]
that is degrading breastfeeding. Who gives anyone the right to criticize what the doctor does. She is probably crunching for time and killed 2 birds with one stone. At least she is feeding her baby and not making her wait while she dictates and letting it go hungry. You people amaze me about what you complain about. Be thankful you have a job and are getting paid.
Amen. - no msg.
[ In Reply To ..]
x
I can kind of understand. I have transcribed - for one that does this
[ In Reply To ..]
and now I know what it is but didn't at first. This one dictates really long charts, and the whole way through you can hear suckling, grunting, then finally at the end I hear a baby whimper and figured out what was going down. I nursed 2 out of 3 of my children, so I don't have a problem with breastfeeding, but I do wish she could do this at a different time. I'm glad doctors eat, but I wish also they would do this before/after dictating charts. It is quite annoying as the recorders pick it up really good. Kind of along the same lines of chewing, eating hard candy, etc.
The person who has the right to criticize is the person - wannie
[ In Reply To ..]
trying to make some sense of out what is being dictated. I have absolutely no problem with breastfeeding. I do, however, feel that is something very special and private between mother and child. I was not able to breast feed my own children and missed that special bonding. I agree that the "breast sex" comment was not appropriate, but I do agree that her job and her family life/obligations/choices should be kept separate from her job just the same as mine should. Doctors put their pants/clothes on the very same way I do and should be held to the same high standards that the MTs are. I am thankful I have a job. I am thankful I'm getting paid. I do wish that the person dictating would stop and take the time to realize that the person on the other end needs to be able to understand what is being said without all the distracting background noise. I know that sometimes the background noise can't be helped, but most of it could if the person dictating were a little more considerate. Okay, I've had my say. Now I feel better.
Excellent post by wannie - and....
[ In Reply To ..]
Absolutely correct.
Prefer this rather than some other options. - Suzy Q
[ In Reply To ..]
I really would prefer to have doctor doing this over some other obnoxious things which I have heard -- such as eating sounds, blowing his nose, burping loudly or arguing with his wife while dictating. I really have heard all the above and it is very disgusting.

I would much prefer to have woman doc breast-feeding any day than some of above.
Reply to anon - kitty
[ In Reply To ..]
Yes, "breast sex" was a bit much, I agree. I just meant I can understand her frustration with trying to hear and understand a doc who is so distracted. I have been through some very difficult times these past 2 years and believe me, I am very thankful to have a job. I worked 2&3 jobs for years raising 2 ill children alone....know all about killing 2 birds with 1 stone. Really was not "complaining", just stating simple facts such as how we all know there are some very bad dictators and it can get frustrating at times. While her choice of words could have been better, I just felt like she was blowing off some steam, having a rough day as we all do at times. Being aggravated and blowing off steam does not always mean someone is just complaining, not grateful.

yes, could have done without the colorful phrase - typical

[ In Reply To ..]
I just can't get over the stuff people will say. Is it me?

Yes, it's you. - PassingThru

[ In Reply To ..]
She was just venting. That's what people do when they're frustrated.

If you "just can't get over" what someone posted on a forum, then it IS you.

typical - anna

[ In Reply To ..]
No, it's not you. I am disgusted, too. There are two kinds of people in this world--those who are civil and those who are not.

oh me oh my - Old Pro

[ In Reply To ..]
"Breast sex?' Come on, get a grip.

Yeah, get a real good grip, squeeze boobs real hard and maybe she - can put the milk in a bottle instead.

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

LOL - Beentheredonethat

[ In Reply To ..]
Thanks for the laugh!

DISRESPECTFUL DICTATORS - ANON

[ In Reply To ..]
Went through the same thing. Doc dictated while nursing and did not even have the respect to stop dictating when her baby was screaming, just tried to talk over it. To beat it all, I got punished by QA for this.

I have one doctor who nurses while dictating. I absolutely love - me

[ In Reply To ..]
to do her just so I can hear the baby. It brings back memories of when my boys were babies.

To my mind, doing the paperwork is part - of patient care,

[ In Reply To ..]
even though for some of them it is a part they hate. Would anyone think it was cute or funny if a doctor on rounds came in feeding a baby (breast or otherwise), used the toilet, farted or burped or coughed loudly, ate their lunch or had sex while on rounds or examining a patient? I know I when I run across this kind of abusive, unprofessional behavior (fortunately not too often)I am hoping very hard that this doctor gets sued hard enough to have MD removed from his or her name permanently.

AMEN, Sister! - BusyBee

[ In Reply To ..]
You are SPOT on!

ignore them omom - mimi mt

[ In Reply To ..]
Don't get upset by the people yelling at you. They have probably had ignorant people crab at them in a restaurant or something for breast feeding and are sensitive. I myself have a doc who "Pumps" during dictating. It took me a bit to figure out the noise, and then I had to laugh, because I thought I was back on the farm.:) I teased my daughter about this and she thought it was funny, so some of the mommies do have a sense of humor:)

"Ignorant?" - LOL

[ In Reply To ..]
Here we go with your ridiculous assertion that everyone who doesn't want to see someone's boob plopped out in a restaurant is "ignorant."

When the breastfeeding mothers learn to do it in public DISCREETLY (YES, it can be done! WITH NO BREAST EXPOSED), they will find the entire world on their side. As long as they INSIST on unnecessarily exposing themselves in public, there will be people who DO NOT support that activity. NOT because they're against breastfeeding but because they object to the MANNER in which these women are doing it. And those folks are not "ignorant" by any stretch. But evidently you are.

I have had doctors dictate while they are under a hair dryer, and sm - Colorado MT

[ In Reply To ..]
while her daughter was attempting to play the piano, etc., so I am sympathetic to the various background noises one has to endure when trying to transcribe dictation, but the breast sex comment was totally inappropriate. Never in my 50-some years on this planet have I ever heard (well, read in this case) someone refer to breast feeding in that manner, and if I'm lucky I won't have to see/hear it again.

Let's all - GET A

[ In Reply To ..]
LIFE!!!!!!!!

Here it is for you again - and all

[ In Reply To ..]
so easily offended - sounds like you know exactly what "breast sex" is and probably have had it with your own baby(ies.)
Hopefully - you now realize that it is an inappropriate task while dictating medical records since it clearly is difficult to dictate an accurate legal record when having breast sex. A task better left to when not dictating and when in bed with your sex partner.

when it hits a nerve there is usually a reason ;)

Adios!

Similar Messages:

The Left Breast Remains Swollen Compared To The Right Breast With Some S/l Po Durage Changes Of The
Dec 19, 2009

xx ...

Tube Feeding
Dec 13, 2009

She tolerated her tube feedings which, at discharge, were s/l Hib at 1.5, one can every six hours. ...

Feeding Tube Help
Jan 04, 2010

I have a dictator who is stating the following:   Patient may not do well with a s/l On tube or GJ tube.  Could this On tube be reference to a NG tube?    Any help is much appreciated. ...

Type Of Tube Feeding
Oct 24, 2009

He is on PEG tube feeds with s/l piwood at 50 mL an hour with one pack of Juven given twice a day. ...

S/l Cobage 2 (re: Bottle Feeding)
Jun 06, 2012

sentence is : breastfeeding with the transition to exclusive bottle and no longer dependent on the cobage 2.   ? S/L  cobage 2 ?  covage? cabag?   tia ...

Feeding Tube - 40-French? I Only Remember Typing 20-French. SM
Nov 12, 2010

A 20 or 40-French feeding tube was connected to the oral end of the guidewire, which was pulled back and the feeding tube pulled behind it.   TIA ...

Not Dictating Mg With Dose...what To Do?
Nov 25, 2009

The doctor is not including the word mg with doses of medication. Do I just transcribe what I hear or insert it? IE- simvastatin 10, vitamin E 400 b.i.d., metformin 850 b.i.d., ibuprofen 400 p.r.n ...

Dictating Out Of Order
Dec 07, 2009

This is driving me crazy!  My main account has several docs that dictate their review of systems and PE out of body system order, like instead of the neck head down, they dictate the abdomen or extremities first.  ...

Okay, I Have A New Resident Dictating A
Jul 02, 2010

3-day hopsital stay discharge summary.  It is 30 minutes long.  This going to be fun.  ...

YAWNING AND DICTATING
Jul 13, 2010

I very seldom vent or complain, but it has just got to me today.  This surgeon does such good dictation, EXCEPT when he yawns and continues to dictate.  How in the world does he think we can understand him when he does this.  It is not a little yawn either.  It almost makes me shutter when he does it.  I am sorry, I just had to finally vent after listening to him for 10 years. ...

Gah! Hang Up When You're Done Dictating!!!
Oct 01, 2010

He does this all the time...turns a 1.5-2 min dictation into a 15 minute dictation.  I fast forward through it, but I still have to "listen" to the whole file before I can turn in the dictation.  This is on top of being a horrible dictator; he whispers, shuffles papers, etc, and has extremely long pauses between words.  Gah!!!! Okay, just had to get that out of my system.  Thanks! ...

One Or 1 When Dictating Medication
Nov 06, 2010

I have always thought the numbers less than 10 should be in numeral form if referring to medication.  So I thought 1 tablet of Vicodin a day would be the appropraite way to type it or 2 tablets of Vicodin a day.  However, I am not sure.  Any ideas? ...

Resident Dictating
Mar 16, 2011

I've got a resident dictating and is on the PE.  "Blood pressure 110/80 and ___________ was 65 and regular." I know that the blank would be heart rate, but the res says something like "balance" or "bowels"....is there a new term or an old one that has escaped me? TIA ...

Gum Chewing While Dictating
May 21, 2011

I'm going freaking nuts!  I am trying to transcribe a resident's dictation (bad enough), but she's smacking and chewing gum throughout the whole thing.  It's so loud that I can hardly make out what she's saying.  I don't very often rant and rave, but ... I DON'T GET PAID TO HEAR SOMEONE CHEW GUM!!!!   ...

RNs Dictating - GRrrrrr!
Apr 10, 2012

Okay, if you're going to have an RN, FNP, or PA dictate for you, at least make sure they know the terminology!    I just suffered through at 10 minute discharge summary on a patient post CVA, and this lady was reading the CT scan and MRI reports of the brain into the record with clearly no idea at all of what she was reading or what it meant or how to pronounce the parts of the brain.  Thank goodness I've been around long enough to be able to get and idea and fill in so ...

EATING WHILE DICTATING!!!!!!!!!!!!
May 03, 2012

SO SICK OF DICTATORS EATING HARD CANDY, CHEWING GUM AND EATING CRUNCHY FOOD WHILE DICTATING!!!!!!!!!! NERVE WRACKING AND TIME CONSUMING WHILE WAITING FOR THEM TO MOVE THEIR FOOD AROUND AND SWALLOW!!!  NOT TO MENTION THE RATTLING OF CHIP BAGS....HOW UNPROFESSIONAL CAN YOU GET?????????? ...

So The Doc Just Sneezed While She Was Dictating
Aug 13, 2012

The doc sneezes twice and I muttered to myself "God bless you."  Apparently someone in the office did, too, because then the doc said "thank you."  The timing was perfect and it made me laugh.   ...

Every Time One Of These Dictating
Apr 01, 2013

doofuses puts in the wrong work type, the report should be sent back to them to fix.  How hard is to just put in the correct type?  I guess that's too simple. ...

Dictating Lab Values
Jul 06, 2013

dictating lab values: albumin 2.7, low. s/l "HU" ratio low at 0.6. ?? Thank you!! ...

Eating While Dictating
Apr 18, 2014

Note to all doctors who eat while dictating... STOP IT! Okay, you jerks swore to do no harm. You violate that oath every single time you pick up a phone and dictate. Eating while dictating is just one of the many things you do. How would you like it if someone came up to you and started chewing their food right in your ears? Oh, you wouldn't? Gee, could have fooled me! What's that you say? No one would show a doctor that kind of disrespect? You are nothing but an over-educated, self in ...

Re-dictating By The MT Using Dragon Etc
Jun 24, 2014

Anyone have thoughts on using program such as Dragon to "re-dictate" reports to save some transcription time and hopefully save further wear and tear?  Not an expensive program start-up but willing to spend some time to set up a more basic program to work.  My shoulder is nearly frozen, again.  Us old-schoolers are wearing out.  Thanks! ...

GI Dictating On Pancreatitis...
May 28, 2015

Dictating ultrasound findings and S/L  "slavic" stones or "slatic" stones???   #&%& mumblemouths!    ...

Doc Is Dictating S/l Boc Ta Lict Hernia
Nov 09, 2009

Doc is dictating s/l boc ta lict hernia...any ideas?  ...

Another One Chomping And Swallowing In My Ear While Dictating
Feb 18, 2010

I've had enough.  I'm outta here!  Going for a walk... ...

I Have A PA That Is Dictating Metacarpals When He Talking About
May 02, 2010

xx ...

He Is Dictating Lab Values, Pc02, Po2, Ph
Aug 02, 2010

he is dictating lab values, pc02, po2, ph, and something that sounds like BASE EXCESS, ...

Had A Doc Today Who Said It Was His 1st Time Dictating...sm
Aug 18, 2010

and if there was any problem with the dictation to please feel free to call him on his cell phone......and he was clear to boot.  At the end of the report he said, "thank you for your patience while I work on figuring out this dictation system."  ...

Doc Ranting About Insurance While Dictating
Oct 16, 2010

a doc dictating on a teenager with new-onset seizures, numbness, slurred speech had ranted a little and made it clear he was angry in his report when an insurance company would not cover a brain MRI on this person.   Family were worried enough to get one anyway and it found a glioma that the CT didn't pick up.  I pay 750 a month for health insurance, I think I would make quite the stink if this happened to me.  ...

Really?! Do You HAVE To Listen To The Radio While Dictating?
Nov 11, 2010

Honestly, this Dr. is always listening to the radio when he is doing his reports and it is up LOUD. So of course, since I do VRE, I have to delete TONS of song lyrics from every report he does. Can he seriously not live without his terrible 80's soft rock for 10 minutes?!   ...

Dictating NP Different From Attending Physician
May 27, 2011

How and where do you designate the dictating nurse practitioner's (NP) name when she is not the attending physician (psych discharge summary)? ...