A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Can't believe docs sign off on VR - outtaheresoon

Posted: Jan 14, 2012

Had to go to an old report to copy/paste meds.  Read over report to be sure I had other items correctly transcribed (doc dictating at FAST pace)... he signed off on this old report with the glaring error of "pick line" in place!!  It just worries me what else is glossed over in the name of 'time and profit'.. ): 

Scary! I left a blank, sounded like canine sm - Alias alas

[ In Reply To ..]
replacement heart valve was used. Heard of bovine and pigs, but didn't think they used dog (or tooth?) material. Sure enough, when I looked back, the blank had been filled in with CANINE. And this was from the editor in the hospital. Carrying verbatim a bit far, I'm thinking.

Similar Messages:

He Has A Negative *Jean* Sign. (Not G Sign.) Sm
Apr 14, 2011

He has intact bilateral radioulnar and median nerve sensation.  He has some weakness in grip on the left as compared to the right.  He is 4+/5 on the left, 5/5 on the right.  He has 4+/5 small finger abduction bilaterally.  He has a negative *Jean* sign.   ...

ORTHO HELP: Negative [s/l Fair] Sign, Negative Fabere Sign?
Jun 02, 2012

OK.....   It's an orthopedic chart note. Patient has a chief complaint of  hip pain. Dictated: He has a negative [s/l fair, fairs, varus?] sign, a negative fabere sign. It doesn't sound like fadir; I'm not hearing that "d." I already had to leave two medication blanks and hate to leave another one for an orthopedic sign that I feel like I should know! Thank you in advance for your help and ideas!   ...

Looking Up Docs
Jan 19, 2010

MQ told us at one point to use that ponderous webmd.com website to find docs. In my state I use the state medical assn website to find docs. TODAY the office manager for my local docs told me about the NPI website for all states.  Any doctor in practice has to have a # to be billed.  This is THE PLACE to go to find any docs you need to check on.   https://nppes.cms.hhs.gov/NPPES/NPIRegistrySearch.do?subAction=reset&searchType=ind ...

Not Just Docs
Apr 22, 2010

This is on my Facebook page:  "then all your doing is in vein!"  Lord help us, they are everywhere~~ FTR Facebook? ...

Don't You Wonder Why Some Docs Even
Feb 25, 2014

I  mean if they aren't going to enunciate a darn thing and they are so determined to get the whole thing done in 30 seconds and they don't care that there are blanks, why do they even bother?  Please doctor, point and click was invented for you.  I urge you to investigate it. ...

How Some Docs Feel About EMR.........
Apr 03, 2010

Had an appt with my doctor; she was slowly typing as we talked.  I asked her how she liked typing her own records.  She said she hates it but has no choice as it is required now.  Apparently some companies are telling the hospitals that EMR is required by law.  That isn't exactly true, and the companies (such as MQ) do a lot of fibbing and twisting of the truth.  While it will be required that medical records be electronic....HOW they get there is where they are fib ...

From What I Seen When Looking Up Past Docs In DQM
May 14, 2011

People are not doing a full listen/correction. There are some pretty blatant errors, and these errors are being repeated by subsequently dictating physicians who are obviously using other documents for information (as it should be). Blatant errors such as allergy to medications that don't even exit, blatant lab errors that are counter to some of the diagnoses. I shamefully admit to not doing a full listen when I first started voice recognition was back in the beginning, but quickly noted ...

Is It Too Much To Ask For The Docs To SPEAK UP
Nov 03, 2012

How can we edit/transcribe if the volume is highest on the computer, ear phone amplifiers are on, and we STILL CANNOT HEAR!  If it comes straight typing and ASR cannot pick it up, why in heaven's earth does the doctor think I CAN HEAR. I cannot!  Are these docs being passive aggressive... Oh they don't realize?!  That is just MEAN, CRUEL.  Forget that I have to make a living wage, but think about just plain RESPECT.   This vent brought to you by me getting too ...

VR - Docs Almost Say A Word
Nov 04, 2012

On VR, many times a day I hear part of a word like "s" which might be "it is" but if I add that, I might get a Nuance error.  But if I don't add it, it would be an error.  Depends on the QA person.  You really can't tell when listening to it.  This is multiple times a day!! Management should make a decision and tell us that it's not important - that we should concentrate on the important parts of the report.  I add multiple blanks to each report where I d ...

What Did These Docs DO In Med School?
Jun 01, 2014

Night after night I pretty much do the same doctors (not that I am complaining about that), but sometimes I get frustrated because I am floored at how these doctors can get through medical school and NOT KNOW how to pronounce medical terms and medications!!! This doctor pronounces tubal ligation as "Tubical ligation" and she is always mispronouncing names of medications! There are many, many other med terms  she flubs! I fear for the patients so I try and match up whatever ailment they ...

Docs You Hope You Never Have To Go To...
Jan 12, 2015

I have had a dictator who always downgrades whatever pain score someone gives.  For example, he says things like, "The patient says his pain level is 7/10, but I think it is really only a 3."  I have really never heard him agree with a patient's pain score, and I thought the point of pain scores was to find out how the patient was feeling, not how you thought s/he should be feeling.  It's kind of funny, but I would not want him for my physician.  Just wondering if o ...

Wondering How Much Do The Docs Really Know???
May 04, 2015

About VR?  Yesterday, I went with my fiance to his post-op followup appointment.  As the nurse was taking us to the exam room, she told us the doctor would be right with us, he was dictating his clinic notes from the morning.  We had to walk by his office, and his door was wide open.  He was sitting at his desk dictating into his phone, which was lying on his desk, had the speaker phone on, going a mile a minute, slurring, skipping words/entire phrases, all while eating somet ...

I'm Not Sure What College These Docs Went To
Jun 08, 2015

But I noticed when my son graduated from college, it was a mid range college in no way an ivy league school, that he spoke very intelligent, used correct grammar, and actually formed correct sentences. I made mention to him, that in listening to his friends talk, I was VERY impressed and happy they actually learned something in school..He said, "I don't see why, that's what they teach us in college, this isn't high school anymore mom." I'm just not hearing it out of these d ...

Pt Has Negative Froment's Sign And Negative S/l Jean Sign.
Sep 14, 2010

x ...

For FTR Docs Straight To Client
Apr 15, 2010

I wonder if we couldn't put "Dictator Effect" as an alternative to "poor audio."  It seems more accurate.  Furthermore, it's a phrase that has come along with our QA feedback to qualify it. And that's TRULY what it is --- no question about it, 99% of the time, when I can't "get" something. Right now I have a new "primary" added to replace the one I lost.  This is a good account, as they go.  The doctors I've had so far speak pretty clearly -- some o ...

Why Do Docs Not Know What PERIOD Means?!
Aug 26, 2011

Doing a report right now: "the patient comes in PERIOD with complaints of blah, blah, blah, PERIOD and states that PERIOD she was blah, blah, PERIOD, blah. She was sent to see Dr. WhoCares PERIOD for blah, blah.....No joke. Drives me crazy. ...

If You Keep Sending Problem Docs Through QA
Jul 11, 2012

So sick of these repeat bad dictators..If we keep sending them through QA then they never realize what a pain in the tail they are..I honestly think a lot, not all, if they realized how bad they sound would straighten up..Especially the English speaking "slurrers".. Im sending them the blanks,  Guarantee no one ever say he doc, can you just slow down to somewhere near the speed of light for a change then your reports would come back more accurate and in a timely manner instead of them being ...

SUING ESL DOCS FOR BAD HABITS
Aug 23, 2012

AAMT, the industry, everyone says to be perfect and get everything correct.  HIPAA this, and HIPAA that.  If we are held to that standard, how about the doctor? If your company wants the $$ so bad, and we don't get help from them, and the hospital does not care about us, or bad habits from docs, why don't we just sue in small claims court the bad doctors, and also the hospitals/accounts for allowing DANGEROUS text mistakenly be typed.  I think enough MTs suing, knowing t ...

A New Medication One Of My Docs Just Invented
Aug 29, 2012

It's pronounced Venlafaxine, but it's spelled V-A-N-P-E-N-L-A-F-I-X.  And I get audited for quality.  At some point, the whole world became an insane asylum LOL.  ...

Long Winded Docs?
Jan 03, 2013

I have an account I work in where the work is mostly the same doctor for the whole shift.  Seems lately my hours coincide with Dr. Never-shuts-up!!!  It's not uncommon for him to dictate 10 + minutes for gastroenteritis!  Yesterday he did an 11 + minute note TWICE on the same patient.  What do you all do when all you want to do is SMACK the doctor, lol?  ...

How To Get My Speed Up When I Get Different Docs And Specialties Every Day
Apr 23, 2013

I do transcription for a hospital conglomerate, and we have thousands of doctors. I find that ever since we started a new program last year, I no longer get a lot of the same docs like I used to, but I get different dictators, different work types and different specialties all day every day. It's very frustrating because I find that I'm learning new specialties all day but, because there's apparently nothing I can do about it, I have to just live with it and work on getting m ...

Why Don't These Docs Go To A Quiet Space?
Jul 23, 2013

It would not be a bid deal for MModal to TELL these doctors how to dictate..I am sure they are clueless as to what comes over the phone lines. A bunch of cackling hens in the background of an already mumbling dictator is just ridiculous. Why do they not just tell them that phones pick up what is in the background? And while your at it, teach them how to end a dictation, cause the dialtones are killing my ears!!! ...

So I Am Sick Of Docs I Cant Understand
Sep 29, 2013

They now cut our PTO and are threatening us if we don't have all our hours in because THEY are out of work..Oh yea and at least 150 lph and 99.6% is it now accuracy..When I can't understand a doc now, I will not go in past reports, I will leave markers..I will go for a second listen once the report is done but the old Above and Beyond crap is gone!! ...

General Word Hel P Questions About ESL Docs
May 07, 2010

New to ESL doctors... wow fun. doctor is saying microcytic or macrocytic anemia.  When you have a word that has one letter difference, do you always send to QA?  I am doing my best to look up which is what, but I am not going to guess. I just hate that my QA maybe thinks that I have no idea what he is saying, because we aren't supposed to write S/L in our box of notes to QA... the QA thing is very new to me and I am having a hard time getting all kinds of corrections that in my ...

Looking Up Docs...MAJOR PROB Last Night......
Sep 13, 2010

I've only worked on the new 6.1 for 3 nights now (don't like it, I could go on and on), but this takes the cake. Strong ESL doc.  The doc in the report he refers to I can't understand, but I can tell it starts with an "L" or at least I think so... So CTR N and I type an "L"... It gives me a list of doc names that start with La.....and then that's it!  Tells me the search is too big and to enter more initials!So I enter La.........Le.............this is taking fore ...

Doncha Just Hate Docs Not Dictating What They Said
Sep 20, 2010

This is becoming a routine now.  When your doing a dictation and the dictor says "go back to the body of the report where I talked about --- and change it to...".  And he never did mentioned anything about what he wants you to change.  Egads man...this doc is doing it more and more than I have fingers to count on.   Okay, just had to vent that. ...

Proof Docs Don't Review Before Signing
Sep 26, 2011

Just typed a letter to a peer review committee regarding a discrepancy in an operative report and a discharge summary.  The doctor gave the explanation that it was simply a typographical error either from his mumbling or unclear dictation, and that the dx listed in the discharge summary did not make sense and he would not dictate that. Yes, he actually admitted it could have been from his mumbling.  But, why didn't he catch that incorrect diagnosis when he signed the discharge sum ...

Who Does UCLA Use? Top-notch Docs And Facility
Jan 01, 2015

A lot of these doctors were on the Michael Jackson trial and what company do they use?  Do they not set the pace and only use the best?  So then who is the best and what do they pay?  Inquiring mind would like to know, or wonder if that is a secret too. ...

Platforms That Don't Allow You To Open Word Docs...
Mar 21, 2015

I've heard that some MTs use Word Pad for their notes, which can be opened in platforms that you can't open Word docs with.  I just got a new PC with Win 7 and whenever I save a WordPad doc, even specifying RT format, it saves it as a Word document.  Do we have to use Notepad for notes to open while working or is there a way to use WordPad to save in other than .docx format?  I changed settings in WordPad but it still saved it as docx.   ...

Abd. Exam, Negative "Boyd's" Sign Or "void" Sign??
Jul 31, 2010