A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

in lieu of - one foot out the door

Posted: Jan 27, 2011

I don't think the doctors know what this means.  They think it sounds important, so they say it when they really mean "in view of".  It means "instead of", right?  so a sentence like "In lieu of her poor nutrition, will place a feeding tube." is really incorrect right? but I'm supposed to put it anyway apparently or get tagged by QA.  What do you do in this case? and no, it's not a verbatim account

Have to follow QA or account specifics... - X

[ In Reply To ..]
You can't change the dictator's style...even if they sound like morons at times. :)

But you are right - starstruck

[ In Reply To ..]
"In lieu of" absolutely means "instead of" as in "In lieu of money, SS paid its employees with vodka." I type a verbatim account, and I do change this simply because it's wrong. It changes the meaning of the sentence.

agree - love your example!

[ In Reply To ..]
I change it, too. It's not correct, and docs get tongue-tied just like anyone else.

I would like to think that an MT would not get dinged for that!

Verbatim or not, you still type what they say. - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
We are not in the business of changing the dictation because we don't like the way they word things--unless it is totally incorrect then you flag it unless it is as simple as changing the verb tense, pronoun, etc.

Similar Messages:

Pet Peeve. Docs Who Use "in Lieu Of" Incorrectly
Jun 09, 2011

Does anyone else run across this?  I work on a verbatim account and a few of the doctors say "in lieu of" when they clearly mean "in light of."  I've flagged these before, but QA has always left them as is.  It gets on my nerves. ...