A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Corrected Incorrectly? - anon

Posted: Jan 17, 2011

So I have a pretty good editor, I don't dislike him at all. Every once in a while though, he will correct something that I didn't do wrong, either by missing something else in the report, or just marking something red that I had already typed in my original report becuase it was left next to another blank, etc. This has only happened about 3 times in 4 months, but it concerns me because it is very important to me that I look good and maintain high quality standards so that I can get where I want to be in the future. I am not sure what to do. I always email my editor when this happens but usually don't get a reply. I don't want to email the manager because I am afraid it will look bad/petty on my part, or like I am "telling" on my editor. Any advice?

Yuck. This sort of situation usually doesn't have - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
a perfectly satisfactory solution. Your QA guy isn't going to change.

I think in your place I'd get myself out of a defensive posture at the receiving end of this stuff--and keep myself out. Any reaction should always be positive. Your position needs to be the high ground that comes with being known by your managers/supervisors for genuinely excellent work. Then this stuff won't hurt you.

Be seen as the kind of person who fixes problems instead of the kind who's involved in them. Instead of contacting for negative issues, mainly contact when you are able to help (offer to share your template for an impossible dictator, the name of a new referring physician nobody can figure out, etc.) Managers love people who make their work easier and don't love the others.

In the meantime, is there any way you can change anything to dodge some of these QA marks? I had a QA once who would only allow 2 commas in any sentence and a dictator who liked to drop long defining clauses and phrases into the middles of a pair of sentences joined with a conjunction. QA would always pull out 1 offending comma, almost always one of the ones defining an adjective phrase, leaving the remaining comma separating one of the subjects from one of the verbs. There was no explaining to him why this was incorrect, and even less of explaining why the original version was correct, so I just started always joining the sentences with a semicolon: Voila! only 2 commas, so he'd leave them alone. (Yeah, he WAS dumb--a med school grad who couldn't pass the medical licensing exams, and we all knew why).

Good luck.

Where I work, any corrections made by QA - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
show up as to what was changed and corrected when viewed in the QA mode. Therefore, if anying I typed was changed, it would show the original transcription and the correced transcription. I found this out once because I had to look at a previous report for a correction and I saw here "CPAP" had been changed to "cPAP." I knew I did type it that way--it is in my autocorrect. When I questioned QA, they looked and could tell the the dictator had changed it from the original. Yours is probably set up the same way.

Similar Messages:

Incorrectly Pronounced Medications
Apr 20, 2015

How many of you leave blanks when medications are not pronounced correctly? Or fill in because you are sure of what medication it is supposed to be? I've seen QC and QA fill in the medication when it was badly mispronounced. Example: Methylprednisone for methylprednisolone (there is no methylprednisone).   ...

Had The Following Corrected In FIESA....
Jan 25, 2015

An ESL dictator said, "patient no more on anticoagulation."   I put, "patient no LONGER on anticoagulation." It was changed to "more" like the dictator did say, but of course that is incorrect English usage.  No matter--it was marked as a "verbiage error."  I should have known.  How can the VR get trained if we correct even obvious errors like this?   This is really humiliating to have to actually transcribe like this. ...

QA Corrected One Of My Reports
Feb 13, 2015

The doctor was so bad and the dictation was super scratchy.  I thought for sure it was: "blood pressure 140/62" after listening to it after QA it turned out to be: "blood pressure 144/62" QA corrected it as:  "blood pressure 1144/62" ARE YOU KIDDING ME???  I know my number was wrong, my mistake, but at least my number wasn't 1000 mmHg off!  This back and forth thing is getting so old... ...

Words Having To Be Corrected Over And Over
Feb 26, 2015

Has anyone else who works for imedx noticed that no matter how many times words are edited they always have to be corrected in every report? Two that come to mind are milligrams and micrograms. ...

Incorrect PTO Pay Problem Being Corrected...
Jan 17, 2013

Wanted everyone to know they sent a communication acknowledging the problem, how it happened and that those short-changed will get their money on next week's check.  While this should have not happened in the beginning at least we know they didn't plan to rip us off permanently.   ...

Corrected Errors On Draft
Jan 29, 2013

Do any of you feel that errors you've corrected on the edit drafts disappear?  Have you gotten marked off for errors that you are sure you corrected? Several reports over the past few weeks have came back with points marked off for errors that I'm 99.9% sure I caught and fixed before uploading.  This makes me feel like I'm losing my mind.  ...

Help! On Audit My Daily Was Corrected To Q.day. Acct Is Verbatim Sm
Jun 28, 2013

and doc is saying drug to be given q.Tuesday .  I want to put each or every Tuesday.  Would it be q.Tuesday??? I am second guessing everything I do anymore!!  TAI  ...

Once And For All ... It Is Degenerative Disk Or Disc Disease? I Keep Getting Corrected Both Ways :)
May 12, 2010

Disk versus disc ...

Pet Peeve. Docs Who Use "in Lieu Of" Incorrectly
Jun 09, 2011

Does anyone else run across this?  I work on a verbatim account and a few of the doctors say "in lieu of" when they clearly mean "in light of."  I've flagged these before, but QA has always left them as is.  It gets on my nerves. ...