A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

One Transcription on the job postings board - They want a drug screen??? sm

Posted: Jun 04, 2014

That has got to be a typo or someone used canned text cut and pasted into an ad that they forgot to edit.

I'd hate to work for a manager that sloppy and disorganized or just plain careless about how they compose a hiring post.   Does not look good at all.  

Drug screen - Another MT

[ In Reply To ..]
The company I work for does drug screens and background checks before hiring. I can't tell you how many transcriptionists I could not hire because they failed the drug test.

What's wrong with wanting our MTs to not be high while working?

Just because you work from home you don't think you need to have a background check or drug screen?

If so, then you could not work for my company.

I have no problem with background check. I am wondering why now - all of a sudden MTSOs SM

[ In Reply To ..]
want drug screens run. Things have been going along fine, so what's the big deal about requiring drug screens now?

And I wouldn't be paying for it. The company wants me, they can pay for it. I have nothing to hide but I don't see why I have to pay to prove my own innocence. My work speaks for itself, there's no drug use to affect my quality.

There's probably hundreds of MTs using casual recreational drugs during the day and I don't think any of them have killed a patient yet.

What makes you think they are high while working. Many use pot like - many use wine. A way of SM

[ In Reply To ..]
relaxing, often just on the weekends, when not working at all. Or even if it is a couple of hits after work, how is that any different than those that get plastered after work, except those I know that pot for relaxation, never get plastered.

Personally, I don't like getting drunk and I don't like being what many would consider high. But I will have a couple of hits of pot or a glass of wine, just to unwind.

Agreed... - Pro-marijuana

[ In Reply To ..]
I am a very successful MT of 15+ years, and I have smoked marijuana the entire time. NO, I don't do it while I work. There's no way I would. I think being an IC, not employed, drug testing is overstepping boundaries. I think without marijuana, I would be strung out on pills with what we have to deal with on a daily basis. ;) The work turned in will tell it all. That's what the MTSO should "pay" attention to.

I had to pass a criminal/credit/reference/background check - for both MTSOs I worked for

[ In Reply To ..]
And I don't mind one bit. I have nothing to hide, plus you may get a copy of the background check done on you and you can look through it and catch any discrepancies. I found one for my credit check, one listed my DOB wrong and another listed my last name wrong (took my maiden name and married name and mashed them together like a completely new name). So it pays to have it done. Plus you can prove that you are good to go in other aspects of your life, liking getting your CCL or protecting yourself from identity theft (hopefully).

I just had a urine drug screen done for my new job I'm starting next week and I don't mind one bit that I had to do it. I don't do drugs of any kind so test away. I've got nothing to hide and I'm clean. What's the big deal?

The job market is hard enough as it is so having a clean screen gives me an advantage over someone on pot, meth, heroin, or even RX meds that are being abused.

nothing to hide - bring it on!

[ In Reply To ..]
I agree. I have nothing to hide so it wouldn't bother me one bit!

If I were an employer I would much rather hire someone who isn't abusing drugs over someone who is. I don't think it's unreasonable for an employer to expect people to be working clear-headed and not high. Drugs can impair your judgement and ability to think clearly. Not ideal in the workplace!
A positive drug screen doesn't mean anyone was - high while they were working.
[ In Reply To ..]
It just means they were high sometime in the last week or so. Imagine if alcohol showed up for weeks after you drank it. We would all test positive for DUIs.
Do you think that all who have a glass of wine with dinner - are drunk while working? nm
[ In Reply To ..]
x

I'll take a drug test - if it means I can work

[ In Reply To ..]

The first MTSO I worked for...SM - Old Anon

[ In Reply To ..]
20 years ago required a drug test. This is nothing new. Also knowing there will be one will probably discourage some people from even applying and wasting the companies time.

Old Anon - remember taking physical exam for in-house jobs? - they ran pregnancy tests on your urine. NM

[ In Reply To ..]
/
Don't remember that...SM - Old Anon
[ In Reply To ..]
I've had a few in-house jobs, small MTSOs, one big hospital, and one small hospital. Never had a full physical, only a TB test, listen to my chest, and blood pressure.

Last 2 companies I worked for required drug screen. - No big deal. NM

[ In Reply To ..]
x

I thought drug screens have been part of hiring process - since like the 1980s

[ In Reply To ..]
no big deal, just expect it with any new employer.

it has, employer perogative. Some do, some don't. - anon2 NM

[ In Reply To ..]
/

Similar Messages:

This Board Postings
Dec 01, 2009

I have been reading all of the posts especially the ones about grammar.  Maybe I have not finished transcription school or even paid my dues as a seasoned "elder" (I hate that phrase--not being in my 20s myself), but I was one of the 70,000 that was laid off on black Monday back in January 2009.  I was looking for a career that would (I thought) not be hurt by the economy as severely.  I very much appreciate any advice my "more experienced" friends can give.  Even with m ...

Gen Transcription On The Job Seeker's Board
Apr 07, 2013

Is my math wrong? .50 an audio minute = $30 an hour.  As mentioned in the ad, an hour of focus group transription "only takes you 4 hours to transcribe".  So they are offering $7.50 an hour?! ...

MQ Job Postings
Nov 23, 2011

I noticed that MQ keeps advertising for the same positions every few weeks or so.  What's up with that?  Can't they hold on to any help?  Anyone have any insight on that?  TIA ...

QA Job Postings, IC
Jul 01, 2013

It sure seems that the companies that advertise for QA help who are paying "by the line" are requesting that you have rediculous requirements!  Line rate and IC.....why dont they just include in their ads that they expect the world but are not willing to pay anything for it..... its the same meaning..... ...

No Job Postings Since Last Tuesday?
Oct 27, 2009

Is it just my view or have there not been any new job postings in a week. Seems odd to me since there is alway a few a day. The well must have completely dried up. LOL ...

In-house Postings
Aug 06, 2010

I wonder why companies post on internet job sites for in-house employees?  Why don't they just advertise locally in their community paper, etc. ...

5 THINGS AN MT DOES NOT WANT TO SEE IN JOB POSTINGS
Apr 21, 2014

1.  Companies that brag on themselves. "XYZ Transcription, a an industry leader, has been in business since the first Christmas and therefore is the best. We therefore deserve only the best MTs that love playing on our team regardless of how much they want to play for the only team that matters to them, I.E, their family; adhering to turn-around times under penalty of death; and really don't give a hoot about anything but the MT Companies. We are growing and growing and growing and are ...

Seems Like The Job Postings Today
May 20, 2014

needing MTs immediately.  What's up with that??  Kind of nice to see that maybe some of these MTSO are paying the price for loss of workers.  Would make me a bit suspicious as to why they are left in this position.  Too bad that could not be a negotiating tool for better pay but I doubt it is.    ...

Is MW Transcription Services On The Job Seekers Board A SCAM. Does Anyone Know Someone
May 22, 2011

Does anyone actually work for MW Transcription Services?   When you go to her website, all you find is her hawking her book and multiple ads for schools (including the matchbooks that guarantee $60,000 year).  Her “SERVICES” and “RATES” tabs are empty.  How does a company get any business without having any of that type of information on their website?  In fact, the only tabs that have any information are the ones that offer her ebook for sale and her ...

Anyone With Info On WordZXpressed Transcription Services, Not Much On This Board
Nov 09, 2011

. ...

Does Anyone EVER Hear From Job Postings That You Reply To?
Dec 01, 2011

I have responded to several job postings and have not heard back from ANY of them?  I have many years experience and in most cases over qualified for the work.  I am willing to work evenings and weekends.  What is wrong with this picture?  ...

Why Does The Post On The Job Seeker's Board For Advanced Transcription Keep Disappearing?
Jan 09, 2011

It has been there twice this evening and both times it has disappeared.  Does anyone have any recent information about this company?  It is the one out of New Jersey.   TIA ...

Any Info On Fast Transcription That Is On The Job Seekers Board? NmNm
Mar 19, 2014

Xx ...

Mmodal's FB Monitor Must Work OT To Keep All The Neg Postings
Apr 10, 2013

Because their feed looks like a LuvFest for all things Mmodal. I mean at least some exMTs must have voiced their opinion about working experience with Mmodal..but their FB is nauseatingly POSITIVE with a capital FAKE. ...

Has Anyone Heard From Landmark Or Premier On Their Current Postings?
Apr 25, 2011

Has anyone heard back after applying to either of these today?  I have over 20 years of solid psych experience, applied to both, but have heard nothing.  What am I doing wrong? ...

Current Job Postings Still Mention Quarterly Bonus
Dec 30, 2014

only some accounts move to this new exciting pay grid junk? ...

Fine, We Will Just Post On The Main Board Or Company Board Then... Nm
Oct 12, 2014

How Bout A New Board Here - "Success After Transcription"..
May 03, 2011

I'm halfway serious.  Some sort of board with practical, helpful/hopeful insight by those who've left transcription and have found employment in other areas, and not necessarily coding/billing or nursing.  Of course, I know we're all pretty much on our own but since this website has been so useful and helpful (to me at least) in making contact with other transcribers, would like to still believe there are other possibilities for us if this p ...

MODERATOR: I See A New Board Offshore, Did You Consider A VR Board?
Oct 13, 2009

nm ...

Capitalization - Is It.. Board Certified Or Board Certified ?
Mar 08, 2011

is it.. Board Certified or board certified ? ...

New Board!
Oct 13, 2009

Sad we have to have a board to address this!  I don't think anything is going to change no matter how much we complain.  Making money is every MTSOS bottom line.....  Transcription services are just following everyone else to India, etc.  ...

What Board?
Nov 17, 2009

I was looking at a board last night, don't remember which one, but it was here.  There was a link to another job board, not MT Jobs.  I need to now what it was.  If anybody knows, please let me know.  Thanks. ...

Key Board
Jan 29, 2012

Has anyone found a decent keyboard to use with the new computer.  I hate this one.  I cannot feel the keys, because they are as flat as a pancake (if not flatter).  I want to go out and buy one, but don't know what would be compatible....another Del keyboard?  Please help. ...

I'm Not Sure If This Is The Right Board, But It Is
Jan 14, 2013

It is so very frustrating!  I type for a wound care clinic, and, of course, a great deal of the patients there are diabetic, as am I.  About a year ago I learned from my diabetic teacher that a local supermarket chain pharmacy offers all diabetic supplies and meds for free, whether you are insured or not.   At least once every couple of weeks I type a note in which the doctor says the patient hasn't been able to afford his/her diabetes medication or insulin, and they seem to ...

Well You Would Think That MTs On This Board
Jan 18, 2014

would appreciate updates of warnings, but I guess not. I will not post here again to warn anyone of anything. Sick of being trolled! ...

I Think TTS Should Have Own Board. Nm
Jun 30, 2014

nm ...

What's Up With This Ad On Another Board For OB
Jan 29, 2015

You see it periodically, OB, radiology, and something else but it's pretty clear the work will be OB.  The test consists of 3 files (getting this from the ad) and you should finish it in less than 2 hours.  3 files?  How long are the files?  So, my real question is (the other two were thiinking out loud), does this ad get run periodically to clear out the backlog or is it really a legit job and why does it come up so often?  It's not the exact same ad everytime ...

HOW DO YOU SEARCH ON THIS BOARD NOW
Oct 16, 2009

How do you search now on this new board?   ...

VR Board- Moderator
Oct 19, 2009

I was able to get to the VR board only once and cannot get back. When I go that particular board nothing comes up now whereas it did at first. ...

How To Do A Search On This Board??
Oct 22, 2009

Hi, I'm still trying to get accustomed to this interface.  I can't find the search feature...? Is it staring me right in the face? Thanks! ...