A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

This board postings - Mouse

Posted: Dec 01, 2009

I have been reading all of the posts especially the ones about grammar.  Maybe I have not finished transcription school or even paid my dues as a seasoned "elder" (I hate that phrase--not being in my 20s myself), but I was one of the 70,000 that was laid off on black Monday back in January 2009.  I was looking for a career that would (I thought) not be hurt by the economy as severely.  I very much appreciate any advice my "more experienced" friends can give.  Even with my more-than-many years of working, I still make mistakes that I am not aware of that I had been making.  In this industry it is VITAL to be as perfect as you can be.  We ALL should be willing to take criticism!

I made VERY good money in sales, but my company discontinued my position nationwide.  Poof! No job and living in Las Vegas with a 14% unemployment rate--not so good.   People there have a hard choice to make--a loaf of bread or a new floor or as with my husband, a new chair/mattress/table.  By the way, the load of bread wins.  My husband was able to last till July (on full commission) when his paycheck for the whole month was $120.  Suffice it to say, we lost everything, said UNCLE and moved to Denver (with a 6% unemployment rate) to stay with our daughter till I get out of school and he secures a position somewhere.  We are not in our 20s so finding jobs is very difficult. 

So, you people out there who are upset when our "more experienced" friends try to help us, move on.  The old addage says:  IF YOU DON'T LIKE THE HEAT, GET OUT OF THE KITCHEN.  Why go on and on and on and on.  If you don't like the criticism, don't respond! Nobody is forcing you to stay on this posting board!  Our friends are here giving us their time to help us with tips to secure a position in this field.  Yes, we all make grammatical mistakes, but our industry REQUIRES  as close to perfection in the written word as possible.  The positions of cashiers, door greeters, sales, stockers, etc. do not require correct grammer/spelling/etc.  Go out and be happy in what you do!  If you don't like someone telling you that you misspelled a word or your sentence does not make sense, grow a thicker skin.  Guess what----LIFE IS NOT FAIR!  Move on!

well said, thanks - n/m

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Now Mouse is a smart Newbie - Elder

[ In Reply To ..]
That's right ladies, LIFE IS NOT FAIR. Sometimes it is not nice and it is not positive. Wouldn't you much rather have someone give you the honest truth (that is not really so nice) than to come here looking through those rose-colored glasses expecting a "dream job," and have us "elders" make you think that is possible? You do not want to be criticized about what is going to be expected of you? You don't want to know about the pitfalls?

Mouse sounds like the sort of person who understands the reality of what we are talking about. She could take someone criticizing her grammer, her spelling, her expectations, and actually learn something from it. She understands that loyal service is not always rewarded and that MT companies are not looking for 4.0 GPAs. The best of us in this business are getting dumped on. Years of service means nothing. PERFECT work means nothing. Our dedication and loyalty mean nothing when you can get the work done for half the cost in a third world country. That is a not so nice reality that will slap you right across the face with no warning. You have to grow up and accept the things you cannot change. WANT to know the reality of what you are getting into and for goodness sake stop whining about it because that is not someone the "elders" will want to help. You can't walk in our shoes but you can listen to what we are telling you - or not, your choice.

The term "Elders" - Seems to bother most

[ In Reply To ..]
I think it is kind of funny that everyone keeps referring back to the term "elders" as if it gets under their skin a bit. I suppose it fits if we are dubbed "newbie̢۪s", so goes the term "elders". LOL

Elders and Newbies really has nothing to do with age. - NM

[ In Reply To ..]
x
Yeah - I know that
[ In Reply To ..]
Thanks

When you think about the other option, elder is fine - L

[ In Reply To ..]
term with me, otherwise would be kicking up those daisies. Not only do "elders" get to work when and if they like, they also get "freebies" such as discounts on meals, the movies, property taxes, so many things, more money from social security, oh the list goes on. Proud to be elder and get all those extras and now don̢۪t have to kiss any more frogs to do my work.

I kinda like it - gourdpainter

[ In Reply To ..]
It shows that I have achieved some sort of seasoning in my old age, hopefully along with tolerance, understanding and not needing to expound on my intelligence by belittling others!

Widdle Fwiend. - Sounds wike

[ In Reply To ..]
Wow, sounds like you all are best buds now that you have a "shiny new star" in you pocket. haha. No big deal, I just think it is funny that your post just lit up like a Christmas tree, all shiny and full of vigor, but still said nothing different. You are Amazing.......ly arrogant that is.

Widdle Fwiend - Sounds Like - ???? What is this?

[ In Reply To ..]
First of all, who is this post addressing, the OP? What does it mean? Is this some kind of elementary school code only you understand? What exactly is it that you have a problem with that you would call someone arrogant after this post? I don't get it.

You havent' even graduated yet? - But your ban wagon jumping?

[ In Reply To ..]
I am not seasoned by any means but WOW, your awful new to be her criticizing the newbie̢۪s and glorifying the elders (although I am sure they are reveling in it) If you post the question: "I am looking for a cheap copy of the BOS v3, is there any "advise" you can give me" and the only replies you get are 20 of them stating: "Um, excuse me but I believe that I would first start with knowing how to spell "ADVICE". You really need to proofread"! You think that is not going to get under your skin. First off, is it necessary that you spell "advice" correctly in order to get a cheap copy of the BOS v3? NOPE so it is rude and useless. They will be on your side as long as you keep praising and agreeing but your turn will surely come. You will innocently slip up and forget a few commas in a post and then we will see how annoying it gets. Good luck to ya

"Elders" makes it sound like a cult - and no surprise that...

[ In Reply To ..]
... another thread drivels into nastiness. So much of that on these boards.

I can't speak for everyone but - gourdpainter

[ In Reply To ..]
This "elder" doesn't revel in anything. I simply try to give the best and most helpful adviCe I have to offer and you "newbies" can take it or leave it Rather than judging all of us "elders" with one yardstick some of you might do well to consider the adviCe given by those who have traveled the road. Our experience might make the road you're about to travel a wee bit less rocky. Again speaking only for myself, I can't speak for what others say and do. My intended helpful information posted on this board led to a certain MTSO filing a lawsuit against me for what I and others posted even though I posted my own PERSONAL experience with them. Did you ever hear of such a thing? I never had and still am reeling from the shock of it and I had been in the business almost 50 years, having always been a good and faithful employee. This alone ought to tell people something about the MT business in general. Then reading the new HIPPA regulations going in effect in February ought to scare the daylights out of anyone thinking of doing this work from home. But for the fact I am already retired, I'd be getting out come February 10 anyway.

What kind of regulations in February should scare - us not to work from home

[ In Reply To ..]
I know nothing about this. Please give a little light.
New HIPPA regulations February - gourdpainter
[ In Reply To ..]
I think everyone may want to research these coming changes a bit. I'm certainly no HIPPA expert but I have read discussions as to whether an individual MT may be penalized and fined for such things as sending a cc to an incorrect physician, some say even if the wrong physician is dictated. I would suggest googling for the information. From what I have read I know I would not care to have any more responsibility dumped on me with the little support most MTs are getting from their employer aside from the already low pay.
But that does not just apply to a home situation as you can - send wrong cc from a work place
[ In Reply To ..]
So is that it?
No that isn't all - gourdpainter
[ In Reply To ..]
As I said I don't want to interpret. There is a lot on the internet about it, some of it written by lawyers. Apparently the new regs haven't been clearly interpreted yet.
Hippahahahah - Me
[ In Reply To ..]
I thought it was HIPAA? :)

Well, I'm one of the elders - gourdpainter

[ In Reply To ..]
If MTs can't come to a place like this and relax then what is the purpose. Those who feel the need to correct grammar and spelling are arrogant beyond words in my most humble opinion. We all make mistakes. The time to be concerned with perfection is on the job. Whether we like to admit it or not we all make mistakes and that includes on the job. If MTSOs are here scrutinizing the posts by people in their "off" time, then they have no business doing any such thing. Judge applicants on what they do on the job, not off the job. Just my opinion of course.

With all due respect - FellowElder

[ In Reply To ..]
One man's rude is another's brusque, and may at times be justified. If someone comes on here and posts: "I was thinking that I culd be a medical typer. i done reel good in schol and want some advise. i have small childs at home and I wuld like to make the 30$ an hour that i heard some one makes last year." OR: "I keep testng and need advise y there not cawling me back even tho i had a 4.7 gpa with a master degree in MT".

Yes, there are boards that are fun. Grammar/spelling police are unnecessary on the gab board, the politics board, the faith board, etc. But if someone posts asking why they're not getting hired or whether they should enter this field in a post that is riddled with both grammatical and spelling errors, it does them no service to pretend that they have the skills necessary to spend a small fortunate on the training for it or to pin one's family survival on a job that they may lack the aptitude to do, no matter what the the back of the matchbook promised.

Sometimes the best thing in my opinion is - gourdpainter

[ In Reply To ..]
to say nothing. Yes, I see posts such as those you mention and I don't answer them. They will not get a job in the MT field or any other field that requires proper use of grammar, spelling, punctuation, etc.

Nothing irritates me quite as much as seeing gramatical errors in newsprint, in books and so forth. I don't think schools are paying enough attention to teaching the basics in this day and age. On these boards I simply take it with a grain of salt and nothing I, or you either for that matter, post in reply is going to change or help a thing. People who post with such horrible grammar obviously don't know any better and in my opinion these boards should be for friendly exchanges, even if sometimes heated, on issues. It should be able to be done informally. I don't know about you but I can easily spot those posters who have an occasional lapse in grammar or spelling. As for myself, I never proof a thing I post. The day I have to do so is when I will be typing for something that acutally PAYS me to be accurate.
Suppose you make an error in your comment....sm - ...
[ In Reply To ..]
and a poster really corrects you in a very mean way, making herself in her reply several mistakes.

What do you do? Nothing? Ignore it?
What?
I've had it happen - gourdpainter
[ In Reply To ..]
I just consider the source and ignore it.

Check Yo Self - Crazy world we live in

[ In Reply To ..]
"to spend a small fortunate"? You have just proven that you have no right, or no more skills than anyone else who posts something with errors. It is called being human, there is no such thing as perfect. Don't throw stones, you know?
Check Yo Self ? - before you
[ In Reply To ..]
Wreck Yo Self.

Reminds me of that Rock of Love Bus gal, Beverly, who got drunk and said that to Bret Michaels. The clip made The Soup that week.

Yep, I watched it.

Grammar/spelling police are not acceptable on ANY of our boards. NM - Moderator

[ In Reply To ..]
Question: What happens to grammar/spelling police women?...nm - pol
[ In Reply To ..]
nm
I want to rephrase my question, then, maybe, I will get ...sm - pol
[ In Reply To ..]
an answer from the moderator:

I do not understand why posters get banned if they correct a grammar or spelling mistake (NOT TYPOS) in a very nice and polite manner, because they want to avoid that this poster makes the same error maybe in 1 of her reports?

I think the poster would be thankful, I would.

Can I please have an answer?

I have seen some errors and I wanted to correct them very politely, but then I thought, 'what the heck, no, then I get banned!'

I think this policy is weird and we are treated like children.

We could just correct the word, only, and no comment whatsoever.

Can I, please, get an answer, or will I get banned now?
Response - SM - Moderator
[ In Reply To ..]
There will be no policing (correcting) of grammar, spelling, punctuation, medical terms, etc. on any board except the Word Help board. For those who want assistance on a term or phrase, they should post on the Word Help board. Outside of that particular board (and for the issue the poster is asking for help with), posters do not come here to for such issues.

This has been in force for a long time. Yes, posters will be banned temporarily (possibly permanently if you cannot abide) for such.

thank you for confirming this...nm - pol
[ In Reply To ..]
nm
(!) Re: Police - elaine
[ In Reply To ..]
Within the last week, several posters have specifically asked for an answer to the question of grammar/spelling police, and none was given.

Now you bury this answer several layers deep in someone else's post?

It's not so hard to tell the difference between someone being helpful and someone being "hateful". Give us a break.

Similar Messages:

One Transcription On The Job Postings Board
Jun 04, 2014

That has got to be a typo or someone used canned text cut and pasted into an ad that they forgot to edit. I'd hate to work for a manager that sloppy and disorganized or just plain careless about how they compose a hiring post.   Does not look good at all.   ...

MQ Job Postings
Nov 23, 2011

I noticed that MQ keeps advertising for the same positions every few weeks or so.  What's up with that?  Can't they hold on to any help?  Anyone have any insight on that?  TIA ...

QA Job Postings, IC
Jul 01, 2013

It sure seems that the companies that advertise for QA help who are paying "by the line" are requesting that you have rediculous requirements!  Line rate and IC.....why dont they just include in their ads that they expect the world but are not willing to pay anything for it..... its the same meaning..... ...

No Job Postings Since Last Tuesday?
Oct 27, 2009

Is it just my view or have there not been any new job postings in a week. Seems odd to me since there is alway a few a day. The well must have completely dried up. LOL ...

In-house Postings
Aug 06, 2010

I wonder why companies post on internet job sites for in-house employees?  Why don't they just advertise locally in their community paper, etc. ...

5 THINGS AN MT DOES NOT WANT TO SEE IN JOB POSTINGS
Apr 21, 2014

1.  Companies that brag on themselves. "XYZ Transcription, a an industry leader, has been in business since the first Christmas and therefore is the best. We therefore deserve only the best MTs that love playing on our team regardless of how much they want to play for the only team that matters to them, I.E, their family; adhering to turn-around times under penalty of death; and really don't give a hoot about anything but the MT Companies. We are growing and growing and growing and are ...

Seems Like The Job Postings Today
May 20, 2014

needing MTs immediately.  What's up with that??  Kind of nice to see that maybe some of these MTSO are paying the price for loss of workers.  Would make me a bit suspicious as to why they are left in this position.  Too bad that could not be a negotiating tool for better pay but I doubt it is.    ...

Does Anyone EVER Hear From Job Postings That You Reply To?
Dec 01, 2011

I have responded to several job postings and have not heard back from ANY of them?  I have many years experience and in most cases over qualified for the work.  I am willing to work evenings and weekends.  What is wrong with this picture?  ...

Mmodal's FB Monitor Must Work OT To Keep All The Neg Postings
Apr 10, 2013

Because their feed looks like a LuvFest for all things Mmodal. I mean at least some exMTs must have voiced their opinion about working experience with Mmodal..but their FB is nauseatingly POSITIVE with a capital FAKE. ...

Has Anyone Heard From Landmark Or Premier On Their Current Postings?
Apr 25, 2011

Has anyone heard back after applying to either of these today?  I have over 20 years of solid psych experience, applied to both, but have heard nothing.  What am I doing wrong? ...

Current Job Postings Still Mention Quarterly Bonus
Dec 30, 2014

only some accounts move to this new exciting pay grid junk? ...

Fine, We Will Just Post On The Main Board Or Company Board Then... Nm
Oct 12, 2014

MODERATOR: I See A New Board Offshore, Did You Consider A VR Board?
Oct 13, 2009

nm ...

Capitalization - Is It.. Board Certified Or Board Certified ?
Mar 08, 2011

is it.. Board Certified or board certified ? ...

New Board!
Oct 13, 2009

Sad we have to have a board to address this!  I don't think anything is going to change no matter how much we complain.  Making money is every MTSOS bottom line.....  Transcription services are just following everyone else to India, etc.  ...

What Board?
Nov 17, 2009

I was looking at a board last night, don't remember which one, but it was here.  There was a link to another job board, not MT Jobs.  I need to now what it was.  If anybody knows, please let me know.  Thanks. ...

Key Board
Jan 29, 2012

Has anyone found a decent keyboard to use with the new computer.  I hate this one.  I cannot feel the keys, because they are as flat as a pancake (if not flatter).  I want to go out and buy one, but don't know what would be compatible....another Del keyboard?  Please help. ...

I'm Not Sure If This Is The Right Board, But It Is
Jan 14, 2013

It is so very frustrating!  I type for a wound care clinic, and, of course, a great deal of the patients there are diabetic, as am I.  About a year ago I learned from my diabetic teacher that a local supermarket chain pharmacy offers all diabetic supplies and meds for free, whether you are insured or not.   At least once every couple of weeks I type a note in which the doctor says the patient hasn't been able to afford his/her diabetes medication or insulin, and they seem to ...

Well You Would Think That MTs On This Board
Jan 18, 2014

would appreciate updates of warnings, but I guess not. I will not post here again to warn anyone of anything. Sick of being trolled! ...

I Think TTS Should Have Own Board. Nm
Jun 30, 2014

nm ...

What's Up With This Ad On Another Board For OB
Jan 29, 2015

You see it periodically, OB, radiology, and something else but it's pretty clear the work will be OB.  The test consists of 3 files (getting this from the ad) and you should finish it in less than 2 hours.  3 files?  How long are the files?  So, my real question is (the other two were thiinking out loud), does this ad get run periodically to clear out the backlog or is it really a legit job and why does it come up so often?  It's not the exact same ad everytime ...

HOW DO YOU SEARCH ON THIS BOARD NOW
Oct 16, 2009

How do you search now on this new board?   ...

VR Board- Moderator
Oct 19, 2009

I was able to get to the VR board only once and cannot get back. When I go that particular board nothing comes up now whereas it did at first. ...

How To Do A Search On This Board??
Oct 22, 2009

Hi, I'm still trying to get accustomed to this interface.  I can't find the search feature...? Is it staring me right in the face? Thanks! ...

New MTs Board -- ALL READ
Oct 25, 2009

This particular board, the New MTs board, is devoted to assisting the newcomers to this profession.  It is here as a help, an assistance, a way to advise and mentor newbies.  It is NOT a place to slam, discourage, handslap or pick fights between newbies and experienced MTs.  We are not going to have an ongoing war or scuffles between the experienced MTs and the newbies or vice versa in regard to who should or should not be in this industry, who does a better job, who knows more, ...

Negative Board
Jan 01, 2010

This is a very negative board.  I see misery loves company.  If you hate your life and your job, what are you doing here?  Oh, maybe thats why you are here.  Nothing to do but P and Moan? MTStars?  Doesnt look like it.    This board needs more positive people. ...

Look Out For More New MT's Coming On Board.
Jan 29, 2010

Obama announced a new tax break for every new employee hired will get a 5,000 tax break and up to 500,000 total for each company who hires new employees.  My congressman is going to hear from tomrrow when I call his office.  You all know how MQ loves to hire new employees and I sure hope they do not plan on getting rid of us old ones and if they do?  I see ANOTHER lawsuit coming called age discrimination.  ...

Transcend Board
Feb 03, 2010

This might be a crazy question, but isn't Transcend big enough/has enough traffic on the Company Board that it would rate it's own board, like Medquist? ...

Sometimes This Board Will Not Let Me Post Anywhere.
Feb 20, 2010

No matter how carefully I type the "code" to prove I'm a real person or whatever, it just keeps asking me to type it again and again, and won't accept it.  ...

This Board Is Dead
Mar 06, 2010

And one can only hope that VR will suffer a similar fate very, very soon!  And in a not so nice way.  Along with the MTSOs that have tried to foist this CRAP on us.  JMHO, of course! ...