A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

TIRED OF NO RAISES, VERY LITTLE PAY - Carol

Posted: Nov 30, 2009

Visit:  http://www.opeiu.org/ContactUs/tabid/100/Default.aspx We deserve to be protected:  "Your right to form a union is protected by long-standing U.S. labor laws. While most employers use all kinds of excuses why unions aren’t needed and put up challenges to block organizing efforts, workers succeed every day in building powerful employee organizations.

OPEIU can provide you and your co-workers with the tools and support needed to organize a union where you work. You can click on the links below to help you get started or contact OPEIU at 1-800-346-7348."

LET'S TAKE A STAND AND JOIN TOGETHER!  If we strike without a union, our jobs will surely go overseas.

I just signed up - Nina

[ In Reply To ..]
I visited the website, I signed up to want to join. We sure could use a helping hand, a voice in congress.

Hate to be negative but - gourdpainter

[ In Reply To ..]
As a big time union supporter, I hate to throw cold water on the idea but it is way too late for a union to help.
1) In the first place you won't get enough MTs to agree to stand up for organizing a union, especially now that there is no shortage of MTs. Notice I did not say "qualified" Mts.
2) Companies are now allowed to replace sriking workers so guess what? If you have a decent job prepare to lose it. My opinion is they want rid of the higher cost MTs anyway.
3) This would just reinforce the "there aren't enough American MTs" so all the more reason to offshore to cheaper labor.

You already have a voice in Congress through your Senators and Representatives. Again, you aren't going to get enough people to join in the good fight to make a bit of difference. The only hope for you MTs is to put the pressure on your congressmen/women to get the MT Department back under the direct control of the hospital with them employing the MTs, even working at home. I have talked at great length with my Congressman about this and he totally understands and agrees that outsourcing the MT Department is not saving health care dollars, it is adding to the cost. Think about it, you have CEOs, sub-CEOs, QA, team leaders, account managers and the list goes on, all added and for the most part unnecessary expenses. He, himself, is a physician. With the 2010 election coming up you can bet they will be willing to listen now as never before because those who are in office are afraid of losing their jobs and the other party is looking for anything to attack the current in power group. CALL your Congress people today and follow up with a letter! Even though I am retired, I now have every reason to join the fight....it's called a lawsuit.

I agree with GP......nm - does not matter

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Destabilization in the ME could very well happen. - SM

[ In Reply To ..]
We don't hear much about what is happening in Pakistan but there is unrest. Pakistan and India are arch enemies (border war in Kashmir and India's alliance with the West). Should the nuclear weapons end up in the hands of the rebels (al quaeda and the Taliban along with the rogue Pakistani army), India will be at war and I believe the targets will be businesses with interests in the US. This may not happen for years but it may happen next week. Should it happen, I believe outsourcing there will be a massive problem and that may bring our work back in part anyway. It is not something I hope for but it is a very real possibility.

good analysis, it's all about politics...nm - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

There was a commercial on TV about 30 years - Janet

[ In Reply To ..]
ago that said look for the union label for clothes. Now your clothes are almost all, if not all, made offshore. Why do you think a union would do us any good when it never did them?

agree with gourdpainter, better end result. sm - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
Been saying it and praying it for 20 years...control needs to get back into the hospital itself. Easier to do, especially now - pretty much all are set up for remote.

There's the work, and us. This middleman thing is not working. I cannot see adding yet another entity in there calling the shots, and don't rightly care who's side they are on...let the bargaining begin! and for every plus, there will be a minus, and still the fight goes on.

Just the hospital and us - Imagine all the jobs available...imagine a very abrupt end to offshore practices, living w/o health insurance, being talked down to, and having to ask where your check is.

sweet...

I just signed up too - Hiya

[ In Reply To ..]
I did a little research online and they seem to be a legit outfit. We complain, complain, complain but let's see what some action would do. I realize that it would be monumentally difficult to organize people scattered all over the country, but a little hope and a dream never hurt anyone. I would volunteer some of my time to help. Of course, I agree with gourdpainter to contact politicians - always a great avenue also, but American MTs have to try something different, I say.

Me too! - USAMT

[ In Reply To ..]
I also contacted OPEIU. Thanks for the website. This country has to start making major changes for the good of the US worker....we have all had enough of the bad!

Similar Messages:

Annual Raises Or Merit Raises?
Dec 03, 2014

Does any MTSO do this?  I mean, either an annual cost of living raise or a merit raise based on a regular annual review.  Or both. If none of the above, are you able to just ask your boss for a raise when you feel it's appropriate?  Does it work? ...

Tired Of Stress, Tired Of Crying, I HATE MY JOB!!!!!!! Nm
May 19, 2010

nm ...

Raises????
Jun 28, 2013

I have been working for a compnay since 12/2007.  In that period of time I have worked multiple accounts, learned multiple new software systems and have always gone above and beyond - working over/extra to ensure we stay in our TAT.  In the 5-1/2 years I have been working for them, I have not had a single line rate increase.  Is this the normal?  ...

QC Raises?
Jul 02, 2013

Anybody who is a QC ever ask for a raise? I got promoted to a QC from an MLS within Nuance. They estimated my rate by averaging my lines per hour, then adding $2 to it as my rate for being a QC. I've been at that rate only 7 months, but see lots of posts here about people being offered jobs in QC at $13 an hour and that is more than I make. Should I ask about a raise? Has anybody ever had luck asking for one? ...

Pay Raises
Mar 25, 2015

I have a question for all you MTs out there.  I have been with the same company for 8 years now and am still making the same cpl as I was when I was hired.  Is this the norm?  I would think a raise should be in order at some point.  I am very reliable, always make production or over production, very accurate.  Just kinda feeling unloved!  LOL! ...

Companies And Raises?
Feb 18, 2010

After being at a company 2 1/2 years, does anyone thing it is acceptable to email and ask the company for a raise? ...

Raises (don't Laugh, I'm Serious).
Jan 06, 2011

Has anybody asked their company for a raise within the last year and gotten one ?  Just curious.  ...

No Raises In MT Wages
May 10, 2011

Is anyone else fed up with the fact that the wages for MTs never go up?  It has been the same low rate for years!  ...

Independent Contracting And Raises
Oct 26, 2009

I am finally leaving the broken world of transcription vending to become an independent contractor once again.  I am so very fortunate enough to have benefits through my husband's employer, so it's the pay I am really missing.  Is it unreasonable to put a raise in the contract?  The hospital basically told me they are not contracting for as much $ as they used to (yet another slap in the face of my career), and kind of hinted that raises are a joke.  When I follow ...

WEBMEDX Hands Out Raises!!!!
Sep 11, 2010

See (lol), anyone can come up with a Shock and Awe type of title/campaign to get peoples attention to read their post. I mean really, Spyware?!?? Give me a break Pete. It was just about as silly and borderline slanderous as your post! Monitoring keystrokes goes back to the inception of computers being used in transcription. THESE REPORTS WERE DESIGNED TO HELP...END STORY Look,companies hire and they lay off, its never pretty. I am sure that the layoff was unavoidable as MTSO's are not into ...

Does Amphion Give Raises? Nm
Oct 03, 2010

nm ...

How Much Does Proscript Pay And Do They Give Raises? NM
Sep 10, 2013

Thank you. ...

Nuance Does Not Give Raises.
Oct 01, 2014

Maybe you are new and think they will.  Maybe you are old and think they will.  They won't.  Maybe they don't use this tactic anymore, but when I was there it was "Give Yourself A Raise." That meant produce more.  They don't give raises.  Don't waste your time E-mailing anybody.  Get mad.  Sure.  Even quit, find yourself a better career.  But don't hold your breath.  There will be no raises.  They don't need you ...

Here's A Quick, Interesting Read That Raises My
Jan 20, 2012

that maybe 2012 will be the year that the elephant in the room, OFFSHORING AMERICAN JOBS, and the perks which companies get for doing so, will finally get a spotlight thrown upon it:   ...

130 Percent Profit But Cannot Give Raises.
May 29, 2015

I listened to the meeting. At least I get paid my hourly rate.  ...

Just Wondrin' When MedQ Took Away Incentive, And Promised Raises
Apr 06, 2010

Memo promised all those high producers who were making the incentive grade would be compensated in the form of a raise...anbody here get one?  ...

Wal-Mart Commercial - "a Raise In Pay Raises Us All." Hey MModal Listen Up!
May 04, 2015

If Im meeting my LPH minumum plus, why do I still require make-up pay?? Wow!  My CPL sucks..just saying! ...

So Tired
Dec 09, 2009

I have sent tons of resumes, NOT ONE reply, NOT ONE call...I have 14 years of experience and I need a job ASAP.  Used to be easy to find a job in this field.  I am so tired and disheartened by these companies who place ads, but do not take the time to even respond via auto reply or ANYTHING.... ...

Same Tired Old Job Ads
Jul 14, 2010

I wonder if we'll ever again see a job posting that looks attractive and isn't posted by one of the big mouthed bass that has taken over the industry. ...

Another One....i'm Tired
Nov 16, 2010

If it appeared degenerative or (sounds like synovenectin) she would like a mini open ...

NJA : I'm So *%^&* Tired Of Having To Sit In This
Mar 14, 2011

Cleaning up elephant-poo would be more exciting and rewarding than this. Likely far more lucrative, too. ...

Too Tired To Think
Aug 24, 2011

Pt has a thumb laceration with nerve repair.  Doc dictates:  His Tinel's sign is past the DIP now. I've never heard mention about the Tinel's sign being past the DIP.  Is this correct?  THANKS A MILLION!!!!!!!! ...

Tired Of It Yet?
Oct 07, 2011

Almost everything I read on this board expresses a common thread of disgust with the Q.  If you really hate that the work is going to India, if you really hate that MedQuist is a greedy heartless monster, and if you really despise what is happening to our medical records because of this company, why keep helping it out by staying and helping them make more money by paying slave wages?  I see these words and phrases:  unethical, greedy, corrupt, lower and lower wages, wor ...

Are We Tired Enough Of ISR?
Jun 26, 2012

Are you as tired as I am of making dumb little corrections in the ISR system? This morning, I am spending all my time âuncapitalizingâ regular words in the middle of sentences. Where does it come up with the underline in the middle of laboratory values (1._4). It adds a colon after dates and this morning the abbreviation, MD, is after some of the headings. There are no paragraphs. I delete numbers in a list because they are never right and it is easier than going back and changing the ...

So Very, Very Tired Of This
Apr 08, 2013

I do not like working this late.  But, this is generally when the work is available and I understand that it is my best chance of getting work.  Not very many people on my account on a Monday night.  I see 23 reports, op notes, that are easy lines, require an insert, and right when I am about to begin to be able to download them, all of them are gone.  This happens all the freakin time.  Somebody had to pull and assign them for them to disappear in a chunk like that.&nbs ...

I'm So Tired Of Seeing Ads Looking For Help -
Apr 14, 2014

at the following places - TTS, SoftScript, Nuance, FutureNet, StenTel, Keystrokes, TransTech...and so forth and so on.  These companies need to sit back and ask themselves - hmmmmm why can't we keep MTs employed, why doesn't anyone want to work for us, why do we always have ads posted on the job boards....... ...

Tired Of This
Aug 16, 2014

I've been feeling the desire to hang up transcription for good..tired of the nitpicking..the no raise in pay..the feeling of being anonymous..etc...put application in at the hospital.  Yes, I have loved being at home for a really long time now but getting to where I just hate this. Is there life after transcription?  Suggestions appreciated! ...

So Tired Of It All
May 05, 2015

I'm so tired of doctors putting in the wrong patient name, sounding like they're talking through a garden hose, and mumbling. ...

Testing And Tired :(
Nov 29, 2009

It is getting very hard to even find the energy to test anymore. I have tested till I am blue in the face and dont understand why it is so hard to get a job in this profession. I graduated top of my class with a 3.98 and you would think I would have had a job by now. I did not think it would be this hard to land a good job but wow this really is a hard profession to get started in. I seem to do well on the test and dictations but they always send me emails telling me they have already filled th ...

I Am So Tired Of The Trash!!
Dec 09, 2009

One of my backup accounts is nothing but garbage.  Almost completely ESL.  They can BARELY speak English as it is, but they also choose to whisper and talk as if they have a mouth full of marbles.  I have the volume completely turned up and I can still barely hear them.  My reports are going through today looking like they've been shredded with a machine gun with all the QA markers. I just don't have the energy or patience today to try and figure out what the h3ll ...