A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

My W2 form just sent me into a major funk! - MT Wordz

Posted: Jan 26, 2011

Cry    Now, I already knew I didn't do well financially this year.  It was evident every time I had to "borrow" money from my retirement account to pay the bills each month.  But, I just received my W2 form, and discovered I did even worse than I thought I did!  Working an average of 6 full days a week, 10-12 hours a day, with only 3 days of time off all year, and no sick days, I made just over $20,000.  This with over 30 years of extremely well-rounded medical transcription experience.   I've tried to apply for food stamps before, but found that I don't qualify until every last cent of my IRA is gone.  I'm already raiding my IRA, but am trying really, really hard not to!  I realize that in India this would be a great salary.  But this is California, people!  Illegal farm workers picking lettus in Salinas make more money (and have more government help available to them) than we do.  I listened with great hope and intensity to the State of the Union speech last night, hoping that maybe, just maybe, something would be said that would give me hope in this godforsaken career.  But no, although I thought many of the things that were promised were commendable, in the end, I felt like Dorothy in the Wizard of Oz, after the Lion got his courage, the Tin Man got his heart, and the Scarecrow got his brain, where she then said, "I don't think there's anything in that little black bag for ME."  

awh...same boat, here. You said it so well, though. :**[ - I know...I know.

[ In Reply To ..]
x

So sorry, but you need a new job! - LK

[ In Reply To ..]
I do feel your pain, and I also made less this year than in past years. But making 20K working 6 days a week, 10-12 hours a day, means your company is paying you peanuts! Surely there is something better for you out there? Why not go for it?

Been lookin', but so far haven't found anything that - wouldnt be even worse. -nm

[ In Reply To ..]

MT Wordz, I'm sorry for your last year - Another MT

[ In Reply To ..]
But, hey, you're at the beginning of a whole new chance to do well now. I'd be in the same position as you if I tried right now to get a job outside of this industry. What do I have to sell as valuable as what I offer here? Nothing. The only route out would have to be through retraining then building up in a new field.

The best I can suggest is what I'm doing, that right now you build on what you have to offer already. Hon, WHY are you going broke instead of making money? The field isn't dead yet and others--in this country--are still supporting themselves okay. Why not you? $20K working long hours? Something's very, very wrong with that picture. Dropping wages should just mean you're unhappy with your income but far from broke.

I'm so not trying to be mean, truly. I just know you could do so much better with the genuine marketable skills you have if you took the right steps. WHAT would they be? What are others doing so they still make a living? What are the changes needed that would be so much easier than complete retraining, and enormously more lucrative than an untrained job? Your skills are still a valuable tremendous asset.

If I'm wrong in thinking you could do as well as anyone else at this, I apologize for encouraging you to stay and hope you do move on quickly into a much better year by retraining for something you can be good at and putting this behind you.

BTW, the State of the Union address featured a 55-year-old woman who's gone back to community college from her failing furniture industry job to train for a job in the fuels/energy industry. Giving advice is so much easier than implementing it oneself. I've only thought of going back to school for the past decade, but this woman is almost my age, a real inspiration. If only she lived next door... Best wishes for 2011.

You can't qualify for Food Stamps until your IRA is gone????? - Backwards Typist

[ In Reply To ..]
That's absolutely ridiculous!!!! The government wants us to save for retirement, not spend our retirement on daily living. The food stamp program shouldn't even consider an IRA as income! I'm livid over this.

I would start calling/emailing my reps about this.

Can you get help from the food pantries or Angel Ministries?

BTW, to make you feel better, I made less than you working 7 days a week, so just keep plugging away or, if you're young enough, look for a new career.

Food Stamps are a Joke! - Schipperke

[ In Reply To ..]
To qualify for food stamps you can have no more than $2,000. in liquid assets. An IRA is considered "liquid". If you qualify they will then give you a whole $95. in food stamps. While they send food overseas to feed everyone else!

Sorry to hear this but why are you just now learning what - you made last year. I know what I make SM

[ In Reply To ..]
week to week. I have a personal quota that I expect to meet each day, week, month. I know if I am on track and if I am not, I step it up a bit. If I am over, if I want I can ease off a bit. Maybe next year keep closer track as you continue your job search.

Similar Messages:

NJA -- Just Kind Of Puts A Funk On The Whole Day.
Sep 29, 2010

Maybe I should just sign off and take a much-needed mental health day.  ...

MAJOR, MAJOR PROBLEMS This Morning With
Sep 11, 2010

Cannot get the voice to download all the way causing me to not finish report completely. ...

* Imedx And Major, Major Changes In 2 Weeks, Probably
Feb 14, 2015

Okay, let's sum it up: 1. Imedx hid information on losing more than one account for months, this is a fact. 2. Number one above is confirmed by Imedx having an acct going to EPIC, and a few days later 3 accounts that we "do not have access to anymore" as stated by manager. 3. Number two above did not say we lost, or Nuance took back, etc., just "no access." 4. In other words, work shifted to cheaper folks, we get that. 5. Lack of any emails in 2 weeks regarding what is going on is abso ...

IC Tax Form?
Feb 01, 2012

Is there a tax form that you are supposed to receive if you are an IC? From the company you IC for? Any help is greatly appreciated thank you in advance.  ...

W-9 Form
Jan 08, 2014

I worked as an IC transcriptionist in 2013 for approximately 4 months.   The company sent a W-9 form and is requesting it be signed and sent back.  I did not make a total of $600.00 when I was working for them, which I've understood from others that if you make less than $600.00 you don't need to send in a W-9 form.  Can someone clarify on this? Thanks so much.   ...

Use Plural Form?
Feb 28, 2010

Family history is positive with mother and father having *history* of diabetes. This is how the doctor dictates it.  Should it be *histories* ??  I have the freedom correct things like this if I see fit.  Thanks! ...

To Those Who Were Looking Into How To Form A Union For MTs
Oct 20, 2012

What did you find out? Did you make any headway? P.S. Please no negative posts. ...

Plural Form
Oct 25, 2012

Plural form of retina. Is it retinae? Or retinas? I find both when I google it, but nothing in my word book or dictionary stating the plural form. Thank you! ...

FORM A UNION
Nov 20, 2012

We need to form a union and be done with all this complaining and stop taking their! ...

No W2 Form Today!
Jan 31, 2014

I just got the mail and it's not here.  Anybody else not get their W2 form by today?  I thought it was the law to send out paper copies by the 31st.  Grrr!  I guess that means I have to buy an insanely expensive ink jet refill for my printer.  More expenses, less pay.  ...

Do We Still Use Numeric Form Of 1-9 Instead Of Spelling Out Out, Two, Etc.? NM
Nov 24, 2010

x ...

S/l Hive Form Lesions
Aug 05, 2011

s/l hive-form lesions, or is it high-form lesions? ...

Is Anyone Still Waiting To Get Their Tax Form From Zylomed?/nm
Feb 01, 2012

x ...

IRS Form SS-8 Worker Status
Jun 02, 2012

If you believe your current or past work status is/was improperly categorized by a firm or person (independent contractor versus employee) you can complete IRS Form SS-8 (Determination of Worker Status for Purposes of Federal Employment Taxes and Income Tax Withholding).  There is no fee for requesting a Form SS-8 determination letter.    IRS:  "Employers who misclassify workers as independent contractors can end up with substantial tax bills.  Additionally, t ...

QTS Posts Job As 'no Audio And In PDF Form.'
Jul 13, 2012

What is PDF form? Doesn't sound good. ...

Orthovisc Verb Form?
Nov 19, 2012

The doctor said "orthovisced her right knee". Should it be lowercase like steri-stripped? This is a verbatim account. I'm not finding "orthovisced" as a proper term, but he is talking about Orthovisc. TIA ...

I Just Sent My Enrollment Form For Andrews. Sm
May 22, 2013

Thankfully (but sadly) a death in the family has given me the finances and the free time to concentrate on it and work only part time.  Here's hoping I am as motivated as I think I am.  ;)   For anyone who has done Andrews, with something like terminology and anatomy, did your MT experience (I have 15 years) and superior research skills allow you to complete that module faster than expected? Doesn't matter in the long run because I want it right more than I want it fas ...

Shortened Form For Subcutaneous
Aug 10, 2013

Good morning.  I am a court reporter who does many medical depositions and a discussion ensued amongst us whether subcutaneous is shortened to subq, sub-Q, subcu.  Is there a preference amongst medical transcriptionists on how to write it?  Thank you. ...

Is TTS Connected To Nuance In Any Form?
Jan 15, 2015

You never know which companies Nuance or M-Modal will eat up next, but seem slike I had heard TTS does overflow or somehow is connected with Nuance.  Anyone know the truth on this one? ...

Imedx 1099 Form
Jan 31, 2015

I worked for Imedx for 5-6 months last year as an IC.  I still have not received my 1099.  I have proof that I worked for them because of my bank statements.  Has anyone else not received their 1099?  I am going to call their corporate office Monday. ...

Has Anyone Ever Filled Out A Form 4562 For Taxes
Apr 01, 2012

I bought a computer that I used for work (100% work, nothing else).  I know I file 4562, section 179, but I am having the hardest time trying to figure out where I am supposed to put the information.  It's just the computer and nothing else.  I read that I do not have to depreciate this, it falls under eligible property.  Just confused where to put the info. I'm filling out the forms by hand.  I absolutely hate hate hate Turbo tax and two years ago H&R blo ...

Has Anyone Ever Called The IRS Directly To Get Help Filling Out A Form
Apr 03, 2012

This is now my third day trying to fill out form 4562.  Since it's just a computer I bought you would think it would be easy.  No, I have to fill out a worksheet, read some pub, enter the figure from line 29 (which I'm only on line 7, but I can't complete line 29 because I haven't completed line first part of the form).  Line 1 I enter the real property, line 4 I enter the real property put in place (which evidently my understanding are two different things, ot ...

Pleural Form Of Dorsalis Pedis? Nm
Sep 21, 2012

pleural form of dorsalis pedis?  nm ...

Where Can I Find The Family Leave Form??
Nov 20, 2013

x ...

What's The Proper Form Of Salutation In A Letter To
Mar 09, 2014

His full title is   Joe Doe,  VP of Student Success, but he's actually a provost? So how would you respectfully and properly (sucking up) address this person in a letter?  Dear Provost Doe?   Dear Mr. Doe?     ...

Medicare 1500 Form Question
Aug 27, 2014

Can anybody PLEASE tell me the correct way to put a patient's last name on the 1500 form for a Medicare patient when the last name has three parts separted by spaces, i.e. AA BB CCC, FirstName, MI, which is the exact way the name is on the patient's Medicare card. Medicare denied the claim. Then we put the last name as AABBCCC, but it was denied again. I had a similar problem a few months ago when a patient had a suffix after the last name and was able to call Medicare and was given sp ...

Major Help Please!
Jul 20, 2010

The word is "hyerekplexia" or is it "hyperkeplexia" ???????  My Stedman's keeps sayingit is hyperekplexia and the doctor keeps correcting me with hyperkeplexia. And on the off chance that I am correct, do I just change it to what he wants and let it go?    ...

Major Changes - What Next
Dec 09, 2013

Hi All. Hope you are healthy and doing well in general. I'm new to posting on this site, though have been following it for years, receiving some invaluable information and tips. Thank you for that. Recently, however, I've been faced with upcoming termination in a few months due to my current employer's decision to outsource to Amphion. I know very little about this company, though from what I am learning it sounds like MTs are earning anywhere from 8-14 dollars per hour. Can anyon ...

Would You Put Quotes Around The Specific Name Of A Form The Patient Filled Out?
Nov 16, 2009

If the doctor is having the patient fill out a specific form and they name that specific form would it have quotes around it? ...

Helping With An Orthopedic Acct.. S/l Choneal Form
Mar 31, 2010

mild tenderness of the dorsal midfoot medially. He is maximally tender over the medial choneal form as well as the tenonavicular articulation.   talonavicular I think the second word is. ...