A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Legal benefits - MT

Posted: May 27, 2012

Do any of you have the legal benefits that MModal offers?  I think it's like $7 a pay period.

Yes, I do SM - mb

[ In Reply To ..]
It came in pretty handy when my house got foreclosed on 2 years ago and the legal plan paid for my bankruptcy. :(

Similar Messages:

Is It Legal
Mar 19, 2010

So I was having lunch with an ex-transcriptionist (got out when the getting was good) and I told her about the docking of 0.03 as of May 1 if we hit 5% QA submission.  She brought up a good point.  Is this even Legal????  If this is done then I am assuming MANY out there will be working BELOW minimum wage.  This can't be done can it?  Doesn't the Q have to pay you at LEAST minimum wage?  I try to maintain 1800+ lines a day and if I lose 0.03 and do the mat ...

Is It Legal To
Jul 26, 2010

work 6 days a week, even though it adds up to 40 hours a week?  Our supervisor is trying to force us to work 2 hours every Friday night.  This means only one full day off.  I have had to get another part-time job on call Friday and Saturday (under the table) to supplement the lost income with MQ and so can't work her mandated hours.  Is it even legal to demand that?  ...

How Is It Legal?
Dec 23, 2013

Is it really legal for Nuance to make us work a holiday, then we don't get paid for it because there are no reports, and then they expect us to work overtime another day to make up for the holiday we worked on that we were never paid for?! Did I get that right?  Has anyone here called the Labor Department?  I'm curious. I will not work overtime after missing Christmas with my family (for zero pay), in order to accomdate their poor scheduling.  I'm upset that ...

Is This Legal?
Aug 20, 2014

I missed 3 days and 3 hours of work due to computer crashing. It took all this time to purchase a new computer, get windows 8 out and windows 7 in, fix whatever for windows update to work and now I'm told I have to use PTO or MUP this week. Seriously? Well, I can't work 14 hours a day so I guess I get screwed out of my measly PTO. How is this legal? Why not just pay me for what I do this week???? ...

Is This Legal???
Apr 01, 2015

I am not able to keep track of my percentage to QC. How would I know if I am nearing the 10%? ...

Pay Per Page/legal
Nov 28, 2009

how does this sound for legal transcription work? this is my first time being offered (and quoted) this type of work and pay.  any ideas?  i did test for them and the verbatim legal test file was quite easy and well over 1-1/2 pages in a short amount of time.   <<<15 pages = $18.00 a page.  All pages count.  Usually less than 25 lines on a page>> any advice appreciated! ...

Is This A Legal Matter?
Dec 26, 2009

I was hired full-time by a small company 3 months ago, offered 15.00 hr, just recently demoted because of a complaint of quality (which was very questionable), told they would pay me 5 cpl (woohoo) for production.  Now they are not supplying me with any work, let alone full-time work!  Dont they have an obligation to fire me, lay me off or supply me with work?  How can they do this?  I cant get unemployment if I'm employed, but my employer isnt supplying me with any work ...

Here's The Legal Scoop
Mar 04, 2010

Good news and bad news.  I just got off the phone with Mr. Young.  He specializes in cases like mine, but only from an unemployment point-of-view, not class-action suits.  He also charges $3500 to take on an individual unemployment case (sheesh might as well take my first-born).  I briefly rehashed with him the fact that uf we don't comply with their new rules, they will drop our salaries by half or more, and that this has been an ongoing problem with them for years, cha ...

Is It Legal For A Company To...
Jun 29, 2010

...require MTs to work 40 hours a week as a full-time employee for less than minimum wage?  I am considering filing a class action lawsuit, but I'm getting my facts straight first. ...

Legal Action
Jun 10, 2010

I really can't believe this....well I can. I quit Medquist three weeks ago. I promptly received my labels to return my equipment which included a letter saying I needed to return the equipment within 14 days.....5 DAYS LATER...I get a letter via UPS, which I had to sign for, saying I MUST return the equipment within 7 days or legal action will be put upon me!!! Really??? First of all, I've been trying unsuccessfully to find a box and packing to protect the computer in transit, but furt ...

Legal Transcription Course
Jan 24, 2011

I have been an MT for 3-1/2 years and am interested in legal transcription. I have found online courses through meditec and Penn Foster and am leaning towards meditec who also offers an online paralegal course. Does anybody have any experience with either meditec or Penn Foster regarding the legal transcription and/or paralegal course? Any other ideas how I could get into legal transcription? You may also email me if you prefer. I am grateful for any information and/or advice. If you know ...

Has Anyone Ever Done Legal Transcription?
Jun 10, 2011

Has anyone ever done legal transcription? If so, was it hard to learn compared to medical? ...

Legal Exploitation
Jul 19, 2011

Isn't it disgusting to know that so many MTs are victims of legal exploitaton.  Need I say more? ...

How Can It Be Legal For CCM To Add PTO On Timecard
Sep 10, 2012

I am scheduled for 35 hours a week.  If I only got 28 hours last week becuase of the holiday (no work) and the day after (no work), and not being able to make up all of that time, how is it legal that the CCM just takes my PTO and adds that to my timesheet to cover that 7 hours?  I thought we can be released with no pay.  I mean, geez... I did not request the holiday off, I signed on for my shift and only got a couple hours.  That is not my fault they overstaffed the holiday. ...

Legal Question
Mar 22, 2013

Can a potential hiree call up my current employer and ask what I make per line? Isn't it illegal to give out that info? Does anyone know? Thanks ...

IS THERE ANY LEGAL ACTION WE CAN TAKE
Apr 03, 2013

For constantly getting no jobs on your shift anymore?  This is ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS!  It has been since December and is just getting constantly worse!  My shift is supposed to be 5 hours and I very rarely get more than 2.5 hours of work, tonight just 2 hours!  My supervisor says she has too many MTs in our group, SO WHY AREN'T WE MOVING PEOPLE AROUND!?  There must be something legally that can be done about this!  It is totally unfair!  I have worked for ...

NJA - Legal Action
Aug 05, 2013

Has anyone spoken to a lawyer about NJA and not being paid for that time, or being forced to use our PTO, even though it's not our request to have a day off? Just wondering, because I'm thinking of speaking to a lawyer, can't imagine this is legal. ...

Can Someone Explain To Me How It's Legal For Them
Aug 23, 2013

to REQUIRE us to make up hours when they don't have work available during our scheduled shifts?  How can they take away the option of taking off without pay when they haven't provided any work during our shift?  That's like requiring us to be on 24/7 call for free to try to get our hours in when work is low.  HOW IS THAT LEGAL? ...

Legal MM Stuff
May 06, 2014

Hi all, Sorry if this has been discussed, but I don't come around here much anymore because I left about 2 years ago. However, I keep getting legal mumbo-jumbo paperwork regarding their bankruptcy. Do I need to do anything? I really can't quite decipher all this stuff, but I want to make sure I don't get summoned or something---unless they have a million dollars for me. Are you all just tossing it? Thanks! ...

Legal Transcription
Jul 16, 2014

I applied today for what I assume is an in-house legal transcription position unless I get lucky and get to work at home. This job is a 41 minute drive one way for me. I've never done legal transcription. The job description states pay is based on experience. It's strange because the ad states medical transcriptionist/paralegal. I'm confused about what exactly they are wanting since it is a law office. I think maybe they will consider any transcriptionist or so it sounds. Anyway, ...

Does Anyone Know If It's Legal For Them To Require
Oct 09, 2014

us to download software that allows them full-time access to our personal computers, allows them to upload our info, track our history, etc.?  If it has nothing to do with our daily MT work, then is it even legal to require us to install their spyware permanently on our own personal property??  I've never heard of a company doing this.  ...

Legal Stuff For MTs--employees And ICs
Apr 26, 2010

I've read several of the posts regarding MTSOs requiring MTs to complete HITECH training on their own time, work over 40 hours without reporting it, or forcing ICs to adhere to a schedule, etc.  Although not an attorney, I'm very close to an employment attorney, and here is a summary of the laws.  Please check out the FLSA (Fair Labor Standards Act) under www.dol.gov and check out your own state specifically.    EMPLOYEE STATUS:  1.  It is ...

IC Status Legal Definition
May 25, 2010

Can someone provide me with a link to a legal definition of an independent contractor?  I had taken a temporary job with a woman who had a small MTSO and was without a contract.  She effectively bamboozled me but I did file a W9 with her.  Any help will be appreciated.  Feel free to email me with sensitive information if necessary.  Thanks. ...

IC Job Asking To Work Certain Hours, Legal?
Jan 05, 2011

Hello all!  I work full time for an IC company, meaning that they assign me certain accounts and doctors but I do my own taxes.  We have this certain account which is a radiology account and on a different system than we use for all our other work, the PACS system for the radiology account.  There are two of us assigned to this account and separate setup with one backup person.  We are asked to work certain hours for this account as an IC, the morning person from 8- ...

Sten-Tel - Legal Transcription ?
Apr 18, 2011

Does anyone work for Sten Tel doing legal transcription? I am starting with them this week and was just wondering if it was a good place to work for?  I am an IC and they said I could work as much as I want.  Is there always work? Do they give raises of any kind?  I am doing my training session with them on Thursday and am just a little nervous. Any information would be appreciated. Thanks!  ...

Is This Legal For A Company Who Hires IC's? Sm
May 07, 2011

We are REQUIRED to fill out a monthly schedule (on Bayscribe) telling how many lines we plan to do each day. I have talked to others who have missed working on a day they said they were going to on the schedule, and the management has confronted them about that. We are IC's. That isn't legal, is it? ...

Mandatory Overtime,,is That Legal??
Jan 31, 2012

I have chronic pain and can barely stand 8 hours let alone a 1 hour mandatory OT... ...

Legal Questions Regarding Last Paycheck/W2
Feb 09, 2012

Hey all, I have a question. I was just notified last night that I no longer have a job today due EMR taking over (she has known for a week but never told us until the last minute). So she owes me $1200 (payday tomorrow) but she is saying that she is withholding my entire $1200 check until she receives her $100 foot pedal back. Just wondering if this is legal? Everything I have searched online says that it is NOT. She is in Missouri and I am in Michigan. Also, I have an email from her sen ...

Is It Legal To Deduct From Your Paycheck?
Apr 10, 2012

My company just stated they will deduct $5 per report for every report you skip/cherry pick.  There's been a lot of that going  on.   Can they legally do this???   ...

What To Charge For Legal Transcription?
Jun 30, 2012

Is legal transcription generally priced the same, less than, or more than medical transcription?  Also, what is the approximate price difference, if any, in your neck of the woods? Thanks. ...