A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Wanting to transition to at-home transcription - KiminIowa

Posted: Mar 12, 2012

Hi, I currently work full-time at a University Hospital in Iowa in the Department of OB/GYN and have been transcribing in this department for 8 years.  I transcribe for the residents and since their notes are so detailed I have experience in typing about other medical conditions besides just gynecology/ob related.  I have an hour commute one way and I am seriously thinking of quitting this job and trying at-home transcription so I can be closer to my daughter during the day.  She would still spend most of the day at my mom's so I could still get some work done but when we have a second baby sometime in 2013 I was thinking of trying it out part-time while on maternity leave.  I currently make around $20/hour where I'm at.  Since I have experience mainly in just OB/GYN and a little bit here and there in Oncology, Derm and Urogyn would I be hireable?  Would I be able to make as much money as I do at my current job (or close to it?).  I'm really concerned that with VR technology there won't be the demand for MTs as there had been in the past. 

oh dear - sorry

[ In Reply To ..]
I would love to tell you yes, but without Acute Care experience, you will not do well. Also, I doubt you will come close to $20 an hour considering almost all places hire at 4 cpl for speech recognition, and have very little straight typing. The work is horrible and you just cannot make money anymore.

I would stay put! Seriously.

Ditto! (nm) - MTx18years

[ In Reply To ..]
x

Ditto 2 - Backwoods Typist

[ In Reply To ..]
I would also tell you to stay put. I have tried working at home part-time. You cannot make money anymore. Most places, as stated in a previous post, hire at 3-4 cpl for VR and about 7-9 cpl for straight typing, but there is very little of that anymore. Also without acute care experience, its doubtful that you would be successful. Im not trying to discourage you because this is ultimately your decision. I feel your pain on the travel issue as I currently travel 45 minutes at least one way to work.

I currently work for an acute-care hospital that recently went to a clinic style and am paid by the hour. You would be better served staying where you are, especially if you have benefits. Good luck to you.

I concur - Swappie

[ In Reply To ..]
I agree with the above posters. I am working very hard to make $10 an hour doing this now. Am looking to get OUT STAT!

The work-at-home bit is a scam, and a trap. - DONT FALL FOR IT! STAY PUT!

[ In Reply To ..]

why not try it out first as an IC? - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Work a few nights a week getting some acute care experience and see how you like it. It will also give you an idea of how much you may can possibly make full time working at home.

Meanwhile, keep your other job in case it doesn't work out. If it doesn't work out, you can just stop being an IC and continue your full time job. You never know until you personally try it yourself. I'm a single mom working for an MTSO full time and I'm doing great. Not $20 an hour, but well enough to pay the bills and do ok.

Heck, just saving the gas it costs you to travel an hour each way might be worth it.

Some people here will try to discourage you, but you need to personally find out for yourself what you can do. Just because you have done mainly OB/GYN doesn't mean you can't do acute care.

There will be a learning curve, but you should do fine. I say give it a try first part time as an IC and see how you like it :)

Great idea! - McFeist

[ In Reply To ..]
This way you could evaluate for yourself how things are in the at-home MT world. People seem to have such differing experiences. The cons of working at home for me are the work flow issues. I am lucky in that I do straight transcription (no VR). However, this past year and a half our work has slowed down considerably, and we no longer have enough work for full-time lines, unless I want to work 12 hours to get it. I even took a VR course to see how I liked it with the thought of maybe finding another MT job, and it was awful. I do not want to edit VR docs, so I am now in the process of leaving the field. I would not recommend getting into at-home MT to anyone who would be counting on it for their sole income. Too many variables affecting the ability to earn a steady paycheck. I make between $14 and $16 an hour but no longer full-time since it takes too long to get the amount of lines for full-time.

No way would I quit a $20 an hour job - to work at home

[ In Reply To ..]
No way!! I know people will say we are being negative, but stay put!!! You don't find $20/hour jobs anymore. We are production slave wages. I used to make $22/hour at home, now down to barely $13 and I have been doing this 28 years with experience in everything but pathology. You might try doing weekend work at home, but MT at home is definitely not what is once was. HTH
I agree. I used to make $22 onsite, quit to work @ - home, & now only make $6.50/hr.
[ In Reply To ..]
It was the second-biggest mistake I ever made in my life.

And the #1 biggest mistake? (Drum roll, please):

Choosing MT instead of Court Reporting back in 1975! Dumb, dumb, DUMB!!!
:(
They are telling the truth working directly for a hospital pays - much better. Eventually maybe
[ In Reply To ..]
your hospital will afford you the opportunity to work from home, as many hospitals and clinics are going that route now, but to quite you job and go through a company is a bad idea.

If you are making $20 an hour that is money that you will get regardless of if you have a bad production day or not, a difficult dictator that slows you down. But when working on production, thats not the case. You dont have that hourly wage cushion to rely on.

you have a great job - keep it! - slave wages

[ In Reply To ..]
Going home to work has been a huge mistake for me. I don't even approach $20. I'd kill for a job like yours.

at-home transcription - questionable

[ In Reply To ..]
Agree with most above. Remember, if you decide to work as an IC, when the clinic or doctor decides to go to EMR or VR without any notice, you will have a job one day and have no job the next. And you will not get unemployment; you will just no longer have an income. It's happened to me where one day the doctor was dictating, bu then never did again because he had EMR available to him and apparently decided to go with that with no notice whatsoever. That is the sad reality of this job these days. You might think of trying to get into some other job outside of MT closer to home before thinking of working from home as an MT.

stay at the hospital - fastfingers

[ In Reply To ..]
I don't live too far from UIHC...if I had a job there with all the benefits, there's no way I'd leave it to work from home, commute or not. Yes, you'll save money from not having to commute, but can you really type for 4-5 cents per line...and then hope you get good sound quality and a decent boss? Just saying the grass isn't always greener on the other side....

Stay where you are, I would love to make $20 an hour! - Anon

[ In Reply To ..]
I cannot even get $20 an hour working for a hospital in this backwards Southern state I live in! I have been transcribing for 18 years and still cannot get beyond $13 an hour. You've got a good thing, don't give it up!

You're right about the Southern states; I skip applying - for any employer located in the South.

[ In Reply To ..]

Similar Messages:

Legal Transcription - Transition Into Something Different
Jan 23, 2013

I have all these years of MT experience, but ready to transition into something different, specifically, legal transcribing. Most places (usually law firms) prefer that one have some experience either with legal transcription oreither be a paralegal or law student intern.  Is there a way I can somehow seamlessly transition into legal transcribing without all of that? ...

Transition From Transcription To Billing/Coding
Nov 14, 2011

I am a medical transcriptionist that has been typing radiology the last 11 years. My job is going to be phased out by voice recognition soon. I'm thinking of going back to school for medical billing/coding. Has anyone else made this transition? Do you like or hate it? ...

Medical Scribe - New Transition From Transcription
May 14, 2013

Seems to be the new transition from transcription. ...

Viva Transcription-I Filled Out Info For MT Recruiters And Got A Call From Viva Wanting To Buy MT Co
Jan 06, 2010

nm ...

How Can I Get An At-home Transcription Job?
Jun 23, 2012

How can I get an at-home job as a medical transcriptionist? I have been applying constantly at online positions and they all require "experience" already. Please help! ...

Home Transcription Ad...ha
Jul 08, 2012

Love my job as an at-home MT and love working from home, but that set aside, I think we can all agree that if you're looking to make good money, this is likely not the profession to pursue anymore.  So I saw this ad in one of my magazines, August issue:Train at home to Work at Home . . . Be a Medical Transcriptionist . . . Earn up to $40,000 a year. . . Also, there's a picture of a lady at her computer smiling really big with her 4 or 5-year-old daughter in her lap.  Hahahaha ...

New To At-home Transcription
Jan 16, 2014

I am considering doing medical transcription from home. I have never had this sort of job before and need some advice. Does anyone know of a good "starter" company that would offer part-time work?  Is finding a good company just a matter of research and word-of-mouth? I do have 20+ yrs experience. Any advice appreciated!! Thanks! ...

Anyone Out There Doing Anything Else From Home- Besides Transcription???
Oct 29, 2014

Just wondering if anyone is doing something other than transcription from home. Thanks! ...

MT Transcription Area In Your Home, Where Is It?
Jan 25, 2010

Where are you set up?  I am moving my desk and office stuff around, I find if I do that I actually work better (I know that sound strange, but I find that it's true!)  My mother used to move her furniture around every once in a while... LOL Not that it made a huge amount of difference honestly, but it made her happy and it did liven things up a bit. So, my question is, where is your MT station set up in your home?  I thought about moving out by the kitchen and out of my offi ...

If I Was Let Go Of A Home Medical Transcription Job...?
Mar 06, 2010

In previous posts I mentioned that I was let go of a home medical transcription job because I didn't produce the "perfect" amount of work that was needed right away... Anyways, as I mentioned previously, I got this home medical transcription job only a month after I graduated from Rasmussen College and was let go just last month. The story was, when she first hired me she said it would take me 6 months to get perfect at my job, then after the first month she told me she needed me to be per ...

Laptop To Do At-home Transcription
Apr 18, 2010

I have a laptop computer which I love. Am I really restricted to stay in my "office" or will I be able to move around my home in order to do at-home transcription. ...

Funeral Home Transcription?
Sep 11, 2010

Hi all, I wondered if anyone had heard of or done funeral home transcription.   My husband had an interview today at a funeral home and the director told him they had transcriptionist who transcribe the embalmer's reports.  I had never heard of this, but thought this would be something sort of interesting.  Have any of you heard of this before?  ...

Left At Home Transcription....
Jul 02, 2011

I have been doing transcription for about 15 years now. After leaving MedQuist due to their bad management, I have been hopping around for several years not able to find the right match for me. Everything that sounds great at the beginning turns out to be the opposite. Either the pay is cut in half for their horrible speech recognition or it pays well and the program that they use just isn't very productive. I realized I had no choice but go back into the hospitals when my last position ...

At Home Transcription Jobs
Aug 11, 2012

I am a medical transcriptionist with 26 years experience.  The company I currently work for (for the past 8 years) is phasing out long-distance teleworkers.  There are so many companies out there.  Can someone give me advice on which ones are the best to work for?  Your help is much appreciated.   ...

Transcription At Home Changed My Life
Jan 19, 2013

In the year 2000 I started making 34,000 then by 2005 I was making over 55,000/year. I bought a house, thought eveything was good. Suddenly in in 2008 I made 37,452 and by 2009 I lost my house, my job and had to live on my 401K money that I had to take out early to survive on, plus unemployment of course. This year 2013 I made 18,000 dollars. I lost my standing in life, I feel depressed alot, I can't take my grandchildren out anymore like I used to, maybe once a year is all I can afford. ...

Working From Home Medical Transcription
May 21, 2014

I have put together a list of work-at-home companies, some transcription but I tried to not include companies you would already see on this site, and some not.  I cannot vouch for any of these companies but I did get them from 2 different sites that were said to be reliable (i.e., not schemes).  Please reply by email if you would like me to email you my list.   ...

Medical Transcription Working From Home
Jan 21, 2015

i am currrently in school how hard is it to get a job from home in transcription or coding? ...

Would You Still Recommend At-home Medical Transcription, In 2011
Nov 05, 2011

I was trained as a Medical Transcriptionist at a two-year college from 1990 to 1992.  I worked at a hospital for a couple of years doing radiology, non-invasive cardiology, and neurology transcription, then I got married and moved.  Soon thereafter, I started work at a mental health clinic as a Medical Transcriptionist with 12 other transcriptionists.  This was in late 1993 and I am still there as of right now.  The 12 transcriptionists have either left or been laid off over ...

Looking To Start Typing Medical Transcription At Home
Jun 21, 2013

I am looking to start doing medical transcription at home. I have 8 years experience in a family physician's office. How do I get started? What is a fair wage?  ...

Is At Home Professions A Good School For Medical Transcription?
Jan 25, 2011

Is At Home Professions a good school for medical transcription?  I read that it is not AHDI certified.  What does that mean? ...

Family Practice MT Needed For P.R.N. Work - Crystals Home Transcription
Sep 23, 2010

Has anyone applied and heard back from this company today? ...

Wanting Out
Dec 29, 2009

I've been a MT for 10 years.  Not long compared to a lot of people on here, but unfortunately for me it has become a nigtmare instead of the job I once loved.  The last couple years with the change to SR has cost me approximately $10.00 per hour.  I am the only income in my home raising 3 children, on the verge of losing the house...   Same old sad story all over the country I suppose.   I'm looking for some advice on other jobs that can be ...

Wanting To Become An MT
May 18, 2015

Hello MT'S out there HELP HELP HELP! Im wanting to become like you, an Mt and preferrably to work from home. I'm trying to find out about about schools/training: accredited, financial aid, online. I'd be interested to know how, who, and what to go about it. If I'm able to go by financial aid, i want to pick the right school/training. I would hate to just pick a school and find out its not the right one and would be wasing the financial aid money. I google and i� ...

Wanting Info On FTP
Jan 24, 2010

I have seen some companies hiring that use an FTP program.  Can anyone give me some more info on them?  I know it is a file transfer program, but exactly how does it work and is it easy to learn?  Can you get free programs to load?  What is the best one?  Thanks! ...

Those Of You Wanting To Retrain For Something Else ...
Apr 25, 2010

I'm in the RNP program. Here are 3 quick (2 yrs) degrees that are also paying pretty well.  Just FYI. CMTM http://finance.yahoo.com/news/10-Jobs-With-Great-Return-on-usnews-4256113474.html?x=0   Radiation therapist --Most common degree: Associate's --Median pay: $72,910 More than half of cancer patients are treated with radiation therapy, which involves high doses of radiation aimed at killing cancer cells, and, according to the National Cancer Institute. (Radiati ...

Wanting To Know How Would I Get Started
Jan 25, 2011

I am looking for a job as a medical transcriptionist.  I like to work through my home.  I am attended college at Kaplan University, so I have not got my degree yet, but I believe I could do the work.  I am wanting to know how would I get started. ...

What's With These Companies Wanting ICs But
Jul 11, 2011

telling you what hours they want you to work? Just saw the latest job posting. I could never work for a company like that. I mean sure you can ask me if I can do it but to tell me. If that company cannot afford to hire employees then you shouldn't be accepting hospital accounts. I am glad I work for a company that says, "We can't tell you what hours to work as an IC." It makes you feel respected. Isn't that illegal anyway? Can someone tell me? ...

Wanting To Get My Own Clients
Jan 08, 2012

I am wanting to start getting my own clients again (haven't done that since I picked up and delivered, printed, etc.!!!) but know nothing about the dictation portion of it.  How do you get an FTP site?  Where do you go to get the dictation set up and be able to transcribe it?  What other things do I need to do for that?  Help!  Thank you all :) ...

Wanting To Leave
Aug 04, 2012

What types of jobs can still be done from home and make a reasonable wage?  I've been a MT for 15 years, making less money now than I did my first months, and just really wanting to leave.  I would like to find something that can still be done from home, if anyone has any legitimate ideas... ...

Here's A Suggestion For Those Wanting To Know
Jan 08, 2013

Cheap, cheap, cheap. You should pay your peeps. You could tell the clients NTS cannot keep up with work because people are jumping ship like rats from a hot fire. Perhaps management (upper, way upper I mean) could explain instead of the TLs having to do it, that they needed so much money to take to the bank they had to cut the pay of all their employees, now they have green, not as speedy, uninitiated MTs doing the work. Most of the good ones have fled the scene. And here's another rant: ...