A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Seriously, how did I ever manage 25 years in this business if I can't pass an English grammar/m - mrs.krabs

Posted: Aug 03, 2010

I think some of these companies are pushing their luck.  They either like you or they don't.  Some of these tests are too easy.  Some of them led me to believe I was applying for an internship after medical school.  I admit I had to look up some of the answers because I didn't train to become a pediatric medical transcriptionist.  Since when do we have MT specialty certficates?  I have transcribed just about everything they can do to you in a university hospital and acute-care hospital setting.  I think these companies need to be more specific, especially if they want their grammar done according to BOS standards or the grammar I learned in college in the 80s.  Whatever!  I'll keep on plugging along until I find something.  I'd hang it up, but I have kids who need braces and all the other stuff that goes along with having kids.

DISCLAIMER:  Please excuse any typos.  I'm typing without my glasses.

pediatric - transcription

[ In Reply To ..]
In pediatric specialties, when you hear "abdomen" you type "tummy," and "nausea" becomes "icky feeling," and the "toes" are, of course, little piggies. At least that's what they taught us when I majored in Pediatric Transcription at Harvard. (You stand a better chance with these companies if your MT training was at one of the Ivy League places.) Seriously-- Good luck with further searching-- you may have actually dodged a bullet on that one, though. Does "pediatric transcription certification" require some kind of fee to become certified? Grr...

It was that wonderful ad offering $1000 bonus that you'd never get! - mrs.krabs

[ In Reply To ..]
I won't mention company name, but we all know who they are. I know they don't have a good reputation, but I need a job. The application was ridiculously long. Medical questions specific to Peds and lab values for Peds. If you are supposed to know the answers, why are they making you take a Ped Cert class and exam? Aha! I just had an epiphany! You probably had to pay for that class and exam out of your own pocket or servitude! They are in it for the money! Nevertheless, I researched the answers online (no, I didn't use Wikipedia! HaHa!) Then, there were all the questions about computer techy stuff, and do you want to gross $950 every pay period? Um, no I don't. That's supposed to be a good income? That was probably the clincher for them. We'll just lower her test scores and send out the automatic e-mail to notify her that she didn't pass our test. Well, all said, it is their loss. I thought it would be interesting to learn more about Peds (I like to do research). Thought I knew just about everything with 3 kids in and out of doctors' offices and ER's! I guess I will plug along to the next job application and pray that God will lead me to the place where I belong.

Ped account - RLee

[ In Reply To ..]
We all know the company is Transcend. This ad has been on the Job Seeker's Board more than once over the past several months along with weekly ads for different accounts. Pertainnig to the ped account - with multiple listings over months that tells me they cannot keep MTs on this account for whatever reason as well as maybe not a lot of MTs can even pass this particular test. Apparently you are not the only one in this boat when testing for this spectacular ped account. Good luck to you and look at it as a blessing in disguise.

Similar Messages:

Laid Off After 20+ Years In This Business!
Apr 03, 2014

Sad and happy......gives me a way out, but kind of grieving.  Silver lining is I now have more time to concentrate on applying for other jobs.  Down side is being totally self supporting and no income! ...

In The Past 20 Years I've Been In This Business, I Have Lost
Sep 02, 2012

a total of four jobs due to offshoring, worked for peanuts for a number of different nationals, and finally decided to get out of the business all together and at the beginning of this summer after my last lay off, I took a job at a local doctor's office basically as a receptionist/scheduler/transcriptionist.  I get acclimated to the job, like everyone I work with, and start feeling really comfortable and then last week, a woman shows up for an appt with one of the senior doctors/partn ...

Pass Record Tool (PASS-R)
Feb 17, 2010

What exactly is pass record tool? This is the only definition/reference I can find for dictated PASSR (spelled by dictator) and not sure it is even medical.  We are suppose to expand abbreviations unless unsure of definition and I hate to send blanks to QA if I can avoid it. ...

DQ Manage
May 26, 2012

Is anyone having trouble with DQ Manage?  It is so slow bringing anything up and it then tells me I do not have access and kicks me out and I have to sign on again. ...

I Need Software That Will Allow Me To Manage Wav Files. Sm
Nov 03, 2009

I am looking to purchase a software program and licenses where I can manage my transcription.  I do not want anything that is going to cost me so much per line or so much per MB.  Can anyone recommend something reasonable.  ...

DQscribe/manage/MQcentral
May 12, 2010

I can't log in to DQscribe or Manage or MQ Central.  I can get in to TeamWork though.  ...

How In The World Do You Guys Manage Here?
May 09, 2014

Specs for each account that seem completely random, pulled out of someone's  ****, and it's always some small problem constantly.   I spend more time checking specs than I do typing.  I'll never get off QA at this rate.  I would probably like the account if I could get past all this picky this, that and the other.  Date of service or appointment is wrong,  then you don't get a template pulled in and have to type it all by hand???   ...

Dear Mmodal Learn How To Manage People
Apr 20, 2014

You don't need to notify me of EVERY freaking comma I missed or if I left off a letter in a word. Seriously you are not MOTIVATING me to do better, you are pissing me off. I missed it, honestly, that is it, I AM NOT a moron. Why don't you try playing with this ASR crap all day long and see how well you do..The human mind is not wired to work with this program. The fact that, that is all I missed, you ought to be pretty darned happy. Gawd I HATE this place. ...

After Years And Years Of Being IC, Obtained Employee Status At A Co. Sm
Nov 26, 2012

Thought that after not having enough work for a couple years now and always chasing work, I'd now have a "real job" as an employee and wouldn't have to worry about a steady paycheck and paying the bills anymore. The reason I thought this was because at the interview and in their professional company emails, they use all the "real job" words:  Shift, scheduled hours, overtime, PTO, benefits, etc.  I felt relieved to finally have a "job." What a big bunch of BS! I was "hired" ...

3 Years. Question: How Many More Years Do You Plan To Be An MT/editor?
Dec 20, 2013

There is much speculation about the field of transcription - how many of us actually plan to be here 5 years, 10 years, 20 years from now. I realize that the field is going to change, which will contribute to your answer. Will there be enough transcriptionists/editors to fill the need in 5 years and in 10 years? Will the industry be forced out of offshoring because of taxes? Will there be a need even for editors if VR gets better? These are all unanswered questions, but my question is, what ...

ASR And The English Language
Jul 22, 2011

Okay.....  anyone else having trouble with ASR translating the English language tonight?  For the most part I have pretty good dictators, but for some reason ASR is having trouble recognizing the English language tonight...  I (or anyone for that matter) should not have this much editing on clearly speaking English dictators!!!!!  BUT, on the flip side of that rant....  ASR did actually recognize gabepentin and Ativan in the same document...  I feel like Alice in W ...

Might Be An English Word, Not Sure
Apr 11, 2012

She has had only occasional ____________ s/l progrome of swelling for which she takes Celebrex, which usually aborts the symptoms.  Any help appreciated, TIA ...

English Speaking, I Think NOT!
Jul 03, 2013

Just got done transcribing garbage...there is no way that was any kind of English I recognized. Awful Asian dialect! ...

As Far As The English Speaking, Think Not
Jul 04, 2013

Let me tell you what happened to me the other day. I am traveling next week to Houston. I called a hotel there to make reservations. I said my name and then since it is sort of a long one, said let me spell that for you. Well no matter how much spelling I did, breaking it down into slow, 3 letters at a time, the person NEVER got it on the other end. I spelled the last name probably a total of 6 times total. In order to get confirmation through my email, it is my last name and then first and you ...

SR/VR - The Demise Of The English Language
Nov 10, 2012

Once facilities start using VR/SR or having a physician use Dragon/canned reports, they should realize that as long as a report is "medically correct" (i.e., the correct spelling of a medical word) that is as good as the report should be.  Does anybody really think Dr. Jones is going to make a complete coherent sentence as he is dictating; or, Dr. Shaleplcakeeoa (made up name) is going to make a sentence that makes sense in English versus his own interpretation of the English language?  ...

What If Doctor Doesn't Speak English??
Mar 09, 2010

I'm trying to get an answer from my CCM regarding foreign doctor's dictation and this 5% QA submission. I type for two separate teaching hospitals and are constantly getting new foreign doctors, 3/4s of which cannot even speak English. I won't matter if I got copies of every single report they dictate, there would be no way not to send these reports to QA....are we getting any kind of special consideration towards our QA submissions for these doctors? My CCM I don't think has ...

Commonly Misused English Words
Jun 26, 2010

These two links can be quite handy for new MTs and old MTs alike. They have a list of commonly misused English words. Thought I'd share! http://hubpages.com/_hubmis/hub/Commonly-Misused-English-Words http://www.wsu.edu/~brians/errors/errors.html#errors ...

I Am So Sick Of Foreigners Who Can't Speak English!
Feb 14, 2011

They expect us to understand their Vietnamese, Chinese, Arabic, Indian, Filipino, Hispanic accents when they can't even put a simple English sentence together!  The hospitalists are the worst.  I think they hire them right off the boat from their overseas countries and put them to work in the hospitals-- probably as cheap as they can get them, and then put them on VR.  My MTSO increased their line requirements for this year and with over 30 years' experience, I struggle ...

ESL Speaking In English And Native Language???
Jun 10, 2014

For the last several weeks I have been sending reports for a particular MD to QA with lots of blanks.  No problems with other MDs or PAs, just that one.  Found out a couple of days ago that I'm not the only one sending lots of blanks back for the same MD.  Finally got a couple of my QAs back and there was a notation that the facility is working with this MD to take English classes because the blanks have been words/phrases from the native language.  Seriously?!?!  I ...

Indian Dictators - They Can Barely Speak English
Jul 21, 2012

About half of the dictators from my new account are Indian, most of them mumblers, so I'm going crazy.  They can barely speak English.  Wondering why there are so many Indian dictators here?  ...

Spelling/grammatical Mistakes: English First Language
Feb 23, 2013

I have noticed, when interviewing for certain companies, some obvious spelling and grammatical mistakes in the emails I receive from them. While these companies strive for perfection in accuracy (which includes spelling words right and marking possession with an apostrophe, mind you), sometimes it looks like their emails have been written by ESL employees. It's weird that after speaking with some of these people, their writing skills don't match their speaking skills. Maybe I'm j ...

I Hate Being Required To Transcribe Rotten English
May 30, 2014

"Strictly verbatim" makes me sick, especially when we now have - what? - maybe 60 to 70% ESL dictators on many accounts.  I can't begin to tell you how rotten some of my dictators are, but you can only change it if it's so bad that it's incomprehensible.  Otherwise, leave the stench alone. It's actually wearing me down mentally and emotionally.   ...

I Worked For M*Modal A Couple Of Years Ago Or So And I Worked For Medquist Several Years Ago.
Aug 08, 2014

Lately, I've been getting legal notices mailed to my home from I believe the east coast somewhere informing me of a class action lawsuit against M*Modal and inviting me to joint if I have a claim.  I don't think I have a claim, but then again with all the shady practices in this business, I'm not so sure.  I'm just curious what the heck is going on. Anyone care to give me the lowdown? ...

Medication S/l Med Pass? See More
Aug 13, 2010

Patient is on vitamin D, aspirin, (Med Pass), omeprozole, MiraLax, sertaline, simvastatin, Spiriva, Symbicort....   This is a patient with pancytopenia..if that helps... ...

I Was A WMX QA And Can't Pass A Test??
Sep 14, 2010

I've taken all of these tests one after another and some I pass, some I don't. I have the experience and did QA for 5 years, so I have no idea why I'm not passing them. I'm growing tired and weary. Anyone else having problems testing? ...

Does Anybody Else Think That MQ Just Does Want Us To Not Pass Audits?
Oct 27, 2010

Does it seem like no matter what you do it is not good enough? Here lately it seems like they only audit the worst dictator. The only reports they have audited for me lately have been ESLs lately. Maybe that is their way of trying to get rid of me. Maybe they want to thin the herd and just send it all to India. I just hope to find something soon outside of MT. I have been looking.   ...

Someone Posted Below That You Now Have To Pass The RMT To Even Take The CMT?
Sep 20, 2011

Is this really true?  I was already on the fence about it....I despise ADHI but at the same time realize having CMT could possibly help find a job and sometimes (rarely) get a CMT diff.  Not to mention the test cost $300 whether you pass or not.  So now you have to pay to pass the RMT?  This can't be true.  I mean, if you can pass the CMT you should be able to pass the RMT w/o having to PAY for it.  ...

Can A New Grad Pass The CCS, CPC? I Just Did
Jan 08, 2012

Someone just asked, so I'll answer.  Yes, it is very possible.  I graduated 1 1/2 years ago from Andrews School but then waited to take the exams (personal reasons). I just started back on track to get the credentials.  I passed the CPC this fall and passed the CCS this week.   Even with the long delay between the end of school and my credentialing exams, I passed both on the first try. I have NOT worked a single day as a coder.  I am ...

Just Something I Want To Pass Along That Could Be Helpful
Sep 24, 2012

I, I think like a lot of the MTs on here are getting fed up with Express Scribe and the fact that you have to go to the Pro Version and downgrade to the free.  Stupidly on Thursday, I removed my copy of ES to install the version that the company I was going to work for uses.  Well, now, I cannot even configure the footpedal unless I purchase the product or one of their footpedals (my footpedal is an IN-USB-1 which has worked on Express Scribe in the past), but now, it is not even on th ...

Just Some Information To Pass Along
Oct 17, 2014

I recently purchased a new computer with Windows 8.1 on it.  My old computer had Word 2003 and Steadmans 2006 installed on it.  I could not get the Steadmans 2006 to load on the new computer so as a result, I went for the 15-day trial of Spellex, since Stedman's doesn't offer anything like that.   I called Spellex today (and BTW, they are based in Tampa, FL), and said that I would not be able to purchase the program until next Friday and I only had 2 days left of my ...