A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

ICs, do you stick to your schedules? - krbr

Posted: Jul 21, 2011

I'm just curious how well other ICs stick to their schedules, do you ask for time off or just let management know you won't be there, do you work extra when management asks??? Sometimes I feel like I behave as if I am an employee, but without any of the benefits. I'd like to know what the norm is out there. Thanks!

I pretty much stick to it - mtmom

[ In Reply To ..]
However, my schedule is kinda vague in the fact that I work "evenings". Sometimes that means I start at 7pm, sometimes 9pm, but I will still always produce the same no matter what. As for time off, I tell them I need to take time off. As an IC, I have the right to take time off as I choose, but they have the right to replace me as they wish as well. My job is good at letting me take time, but I don't do it much at all. I've not ever been asked to work extra, but I would work extra if asked if it was convenient for me.

I have no schedule - hmmm

[ In Reply To ..]
I work when I want and don't work when I don't want. If I plan to be off for several days, then I let the MTSO know (an actual vacation or for if I move). Otherwise, I have no contact with the service. I know when the work is available and if I want to earn a paycheck, I have to work when it's there. If I don't do it, there are other MTs who will take the work and it won't be there for me later. That is a strong motivation for me to work. I usually work split shifts: work an hour, take a break, work 2 hours, go to the pool, wake up at 4 a.m. with insomnia and work.

I also have a small private account that I handle the same way. We only have contact when I submit my invoice and he pays it.

I would stick to my schedule, but it was the schedule that I provided. - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I haven't been an IC for 5 years or so. I needed the benefits after a divorce, so I went to employee status. When I was an IC though, I would tell them the schedule I planned to work for the upcoming week and how many minutes of work I would want each day. They would provide the allotted minutes, and more if I ran out and still wanted work on a particular day, and then I would have a set turn-around time to get it back to them (usually 12-24 hours depending on work type). If I was taking a day off or a vacation, I just let them know when I sent them my schedule for the upcoming week.

So basically, I would tell them what days I was going to work, but didn't have to commit to any time, just a certain agreed-upon turnaround time. I adhered to the "scheduled" days I had provided, but didn't have to stick to any actual scheduled hours for those days.

My experience with IC has been a complete joke. sm - Bella

[ In Reply To ..]
I am currently an IC and have always been an IC due to needing part-time when I was raising my babies, etc., and needing a flexible schedule. What a joke. By all rights, I AM an employee. I am here every day, I have a line count I have to meet and do meet every day, and now I have been told what time to start, which is late in the evening and absolutely does not work for me.

I work hard, diligently and professionally -- always have, always will.

I am going to stop this IC nonsense once and for all and become an employee. I have no problem with a schedule and line commitment. Heck, I do that anyway. What would be nice is to receive a little perk every now and then for my commitment, professionalism and hard work.

IC? Never, ever again. What a joke. From my 10 years' experience, it only works in the employer's favor. Most of these companies that offer IC should be reported, but I guess work is work and any check is better than no check. Sometimes I feel like an immigrant getting paid to pick berries. Work harder and faster for what? Pennies, no benefits, no rewards, just work harder and faster, forget weekends and planned afternoons, work, work, work. Work until the work is done, no matter how long it takes.

Okay, I'll shut my pie hole now and get back to work.

So how do you become an employee? - krbr

[ In Reply To ..]
I agree, I have a schedule set by the company and line counts to meet. I wouldn't mind if I was getting the benefits of an employee, but I am sick of acting like one and having nothing to show for it.

Right there with you...sm - Bella

[ In Reply To ..]
As soon as the kids go back to school, I am going to apply aggressively at companies that offer employee status only. My first priority would be finding a schedule I can adhere to, but almost any schedule would be a breath of fresh air when compared to this "work until the work is done" mentality.

I remember back in the 1980s when I had a nice secretarial job and got a paid vacation, actually got paid to sit on the beach.....what a wonderful feeling!
For what it's worth, though, the employee thing is more of the same - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
You may officially have a schedule, but read the many posts here about people that have to essentially throw the schedule out the window and work seemingly around-the-clock, all with the threat to pull the employee benefits out from under people if they don't make their line commitments, whether or not the dictation is there.

Allegedly there are companies where this not the case, where they still pay 12 cpl, offer 15 days PTO the first year, and offer 9-5 M-F schedules. However, since no company names have ever been put forth to confirm this, I put it in the same category as Bigfoot.

I AGREE - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
I have been an IC for 6 years and am in the process of moving into an employee position. I have no benefits and by the time I pay my own taxes I am making less than I would with an MTSO.

It isn't worth it any more. Like you said we have to have set schedules and min line counts that mirror that of an employee, why on earth do it?

They can't dictate terms like that to you, otherwise you are an EMPLOYEE. Report them - mtmom

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

My IC agreements - ICMt2

[ In Reply To ..]
I work as an IC for one company, set my own schedule as was agreed upon with them when they replied to my resume submission. There are times they call for a stat and I don't mind getting on if I'm not on. I mostly work the same schedule every day so they know when I'm on and when I'm not.

My other job is as an employee and I name those hours too.

As an IC, I try to let that service know well in advance of needing some time off so they can get my work covered. I could be an employee with them if I wanted but I make more money as a contractor.

May I ask why you agreed to contractor status if you wanted to be an employee?

To be honest, I didn't know any better - krbr

[ In Reply To ..]
I had been working for maybe a year as a contractor with my own hours, but the pay was horrible. This company came along and the pay was much better, so I based my decision solely on the money.

I don't have a schedule. - Quit last IC job as they tried to implement schedu

[ In Reply To ..]
I work as an IC specifically because I need some flexibility in my day. My last IC job instituted schedules for all ICs and I quit. If I wanted to work a schedule, I would become an employee and get the benefits that go along with that. Never understood the benefit of being an IC if you are being forced to work a schedule. Why not just work as an employee?

Similar Messages:

New Survey- They Can Stick It
Jul 13, 2010

Every time MQ sends out a survey they use it to justify a pay cut or cesspool or other "great" ideas.  They twist the results of the survey to fit their agenda and then say- see the MTs agree that ASR is better or they are sick of running out of work.  JMHO but I am not filling it out so they can use my answers to make my job worse than it already is. ...

Should I Stick With This Company?
Jan 04, 2011

Sorry this is kind of long, but I am looking for advice on whether I should look for a new job or hang on to the one I have.  I am a newbie and have only been working for about 6 months.  I was hired as a "statutory employee" at 0.0625/line with spaces.  Since they pay some of my taxes, I'm not sure what my actual line rate would be.   I work  M-F.  No nights or weekends required.  I have no minimum line requirement, rarely run out of work.  I c ...

Amber Stick?
Mar 02, 2013

Used in orthopedics, amber stick?? ...

QA/FIESA....MTs Need Someone To Stick Up For Us
Dec 22, 2014

When on conference call about new compensation program, specifically asked if QA was going to get pickier and was told oh definitely no, they will not.  Well, I have found that not to be true.  One correction was a period..another a period, another a left out word (where the doctor changed their mind constantly they didnt even know what they wanted to say, so I felt it was a judgment call) it wasnt even a medical word or a word that changed the meaning, even if it is .25 points off tha ...

S/l Nah-stick Encephalopathy
Apr 13, 2015

TIA ...

Do You Intend To Stick Around For ICD10 ?
May 17, 2010

For those of you who are currently coders, do you intend to stick around for ICD10?  Are any of you planning on getting out of the field?  Do you know what your employer has in mind as far as training staff for the ICD10?  Just curious.  I just talked to an HIM director who said she is worried as more than half of her staff has indicated they intend to leave!  Should make for a lot of jobs for new coders.   ...

Criminy! I Wish They'd Pick One And Stick With It!
Jan 19, 2011

Since I can't get the same answer out of my QA, my CCM and others, I guess I'll poll the audience.  We DO NOT put the zeros on medications, like 4.0 mg should be typed 4 mg, right?  Do we put the zeros on...welll...pretty much anything else, like creatinine 2.0, temperature 98.0?  And no, I'm not new.  I've been told many different things over the past 10 years that now I'm just messed up, confused and too tired to think straight.  ...

Guess I'll Have To Stick With Corporate
Aug 18, 2011

I give up.  I've submitted so many resumes and applications that my head is spinning.  I can't help it that my experience is more than two years ago.  The doctor died and the practice split up!  I live in a small town where outsourcing is unheard of and the MTs work at a place until they die.  I passed my typing test and editing test with All-Type, had my interview, discussed contract terms, and the woman said she would send the contract out.  But she ...

Stapedotomy Disk On A Stick?
Feb 10, 2012

Ever heard of a disk on a stick for a stapedotomy? ...

Stick A Finger In My Eye And Both Ears
Jul 10, 2012

I'm on my 29th report for the day and I have not had one decent dictator yet.  It's been solid insanity.  The whole day has been filled with: 1.  ESLs.  They are saying the right words, but they're not pronouncing them anywhere close to correct. 2.  What the heck?  Everyone is yawning and talking.  Please stop talking, go ahead and yawn (if you can't find the pause feature!) and then continue with your hard to unde ...

Chloraseptic Prep Stick?
Feb 20, 2014

Has anyone heard of chloraseptic prep stick for knee surgery. ...

Escription Corrections Don't Seem To Stick
Nov 17, 2014

I work on v 9, 10 and 11 and I have noticed that when I make corrections on some VR reports the corrections do not seem to stick by the time they get to QC.  I have seen mistakes that I distinctly remember correcting while I am editing and then they show up as not corrected on the QC reviews.  Thankfully it hasn't happened on post-audit but it is pretty upsetting.  I had my TSM check a couple of them and sure enough, the mistakes were there when sent by me, so either I have become a hor ...

Can't Verify Nitro Stick For Bleeding.
Feb 08, 2010

NM ...

What IC Company Allows You To Not Stick To A Rigid Schedule?
Jul 21, 2014

I am looking for a PT IC position that I truly can work when I have the opportunity and not set a rigid schedule.  I can somewhat adhere to hours, but sometimes cannot.  Are there any companies out there that allow this?  Thanks! ...

IC Schedules
Sep 08, 2010

I am new to independent contractor status, so I just have a few questions, so bear with me.  I will be contracted with a company to do the work, who is contracted with the the business that needs the work done.  I was told of the work schedule.  I was told by a legal person that ICs set their own schedules; days/hours to work.  So which is it?  Can the transcription company that I would contract with tell me the hours I need to work or can I tell them which hours/days I ...

MT Schedules
Jan 27, 2011

I thought usual MT shifts involved one weekend work day a week.  Is this normal?  I was offered both weekend nights and obviously they are "allowed" to do what they want, but seems a little unfair.  I don't expect any nasty responses of like take what you can get sort of thing, I am just trying to get a consensus of schedules and if I should bring this up, considering there won't be any work on the weekends... thanks ya'll ...

No Set Schedules?
Jun 08, 2013

Are there any companies anymore that do not require you to set in stone your hours that you want to work?  The company I work for now has a 12-hour timeframe that you can do your 8 hours in, but its one of those things that when you start, if you get up or get a phone call or have to do anything whatsoever, the time is counted off of your productive time, and you have to add it back on the back end so you end up working throughout the whole 12 hours to get your 8. What if I don't want ...

HERE WE GO AGAIN WITH THE SCHEDULES
Jun 09, 2014

Seems like  the QC and TSM are not on the same page - is this the old North region (now whatever) where the QC seems to communicate more than the TSM? As far as I'm concerned, they can all go jump in the Lake (and that's putting it nicely).  ...

SCHEDULES
May 02, 2015

I was curious does everybody who work for MModal work a weekend day? ...

Ortho. Negative *schwa-stick* Sign?
Jan 20, 2010

nm ...

M*Modal Collaborative Intelligence=Stick Figures
Feb 16, 2012

That sounds about as intelligent as they get... ...

I'm Curious To Know How Long People Plan To Stick With OTI
Jan 29, 2013

How much longer will you be able to last if this "slow down" continues?  And will you stay with them if they sell out to another company? ...

S/L VSE Protocol For Accidental Needle Stick Of A Nurse?
Jan 24, 2014

Not sure if they are saying VSE, PSE or BSE?  It's a protocol if a nurse or healthcare worker accidentially sticks themselves with a needle and I tried googling, but I can't find anything definitive.    TIA ...

Keystrokes Schedules
Jan 04, 2010

I was wondering if anybody could tell me how flexible they are in scheduling.  I was offered a position that isn't the shift I want to work, but I need the job so I'm considering it.  I'm hoping to be able to change shifts once hired and have been told that wouldn't be a problem.  However, I know first-hand that some MTSOs will say one thing to get you on board but then not do it afterwards.  So, I'm wondering if I should I take t ...

Transcend Schedules
Jun 05, 2011

How well do they work with you on shifts?  Also saw day shifts available in ad, but are they hard to get?  ...

Monitoring Schedules
May 26, 2013

Got a phone call yesterday from TL questioning my being short on my time card.  I had sent in OOW email etc and followed protocol as on that prior Saturday had run out of work which is typical for Saturdays with who I type for, but am still being questioned and was told to take PTO Time to make my 40 hours week.  Said that they were going over making sure everyone was working their assigned schedule.  ...

How Can We Comply To Our Schedules....
Sep 08, 2014

I haven't worked my schedule in over 2 weeks due to being out of work!  It does not seem to be getting any better!   ...

Does Ambulatory Have Set Schedules? -
Jan 27, 2015

I left last summer and at that time they did not.  Curious if they do now.  Thanks. ...

M MODAL Schedules
Feb 13, 2015

I have been offered a position at mmodal. But I have to sign the agreement before I negotiate a schedule. What are current mmodal employees thoughts on this? ...

Do MQ MTs Have Set Schedules? Are There Choice Of Hours?
Apr 26, 2010

aaaaaaaaaa ...