A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

no set schedules? - VC

Posted: Jun 08, 2013

Are there any companies anymore that do not require you to set in stone your hours that you want to work?  The company I work for now has a 12-hour timeframe that you can do your 8 hours in, but its one of those things that when you start, if you get up or get a phone call or have to do anything whatsoever, the time is counted off of your productive time, and you have to add it back on the back end so you end up working throughout the whole 12 hours to get your 8.

What if I don't want to put in a full 8 hours today?  I work from home so I can have that freedom.  Are there any companies that allow this now?  I have been an MT for 22 years and all of a sudden, I see this almost forced issue of making your hours take longer than 8.

It used to be that when you wanted to work, you did, as long as there was work and when you didn't want to work, you didn't.  I dislike the way this is now.

Any help?

try running a company - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
with MTs who only want to work when they want. Clients just LOVE that kind of consistency.

I did - VC

[ In Reply To ..]
I did run a company. I had to give it up because a national beat my prices, but I didn't require set schedules. I just had the girls (18 of them) call in and tell me how much work they wanted for the day. We had 24 hour turn arounds and we did just fine. We got everything done the client wanted and we had a good company.

That client did LOVE our consistency. They just didn't LOVE the cost. But tell me this, why are people working from home if not for flexibility?????? Wouldn't it make MORE sense and cost a LOT less to drive in and work for an 8 hour shift and be done with it?

I have tried to get a job at our closest hospitals. These people die in their chairs. They LOVE their jobs and wouldn't work from home for anything. After my 22 years, I am beginning to see the sense in that. Just wish I could find one now.

Schedules are the new norm for employees. - Pffft.

[ In Reply To ..]
What you describe WAS one of the perks of working from home. Now that's long gone. All the time you read on here about even ICs being forced to work a set schedule, which to me is whacked, but you gotta do what you gotta do to put food on the table and pay the rent.

You can thank the corporate bean counters for this new way of doing things. Can't even blame the MTSOs...they are just meeting demands set forth by the insurance companies and hospital CEOs.
:(
sad - vc
[ In Reply To ..]
That as American citizens we have set idly by and let this kind of thing happen to us. Our homes are now the sweatshops that used to exist. Now they can cause us to cower in fear because of our pay. It just isn't right and it's really a sad statement.
set hours - against the labor laws for IC's. - pp
[ In Reply To ..]
Transcend is now being sued in a class action for doing just the same thing. you DO have a recourse.
Transcend - Been around
[ In Reply To ..]
Personally, I hope the MTs sue the socks off Transcend--and win!
I never had a schedule as an IC - only 24 hr turnaround (sm) - Angie
[ In Reply To ..]
So I'd stay up as late as needed to get the days work done, often until 4:00 AM. Clients were always happy. However, when you have to give up your business to an MTSO who pays slave wages, your incentive to meet TAT is about nil.

The MTSOs will need to learn through lawsuits that they can't have the best of both worlds. They can't save the overhead of having in-house staff AND dictate a set schedule for their ICs.
so how is it - VC
[ In Reply To ..]
So let me ask you this, do you just come in in the morning or whenever and request a certain amount of work or do they tell you how much they want you to do and you just do that throughout the day without any communication with them about when you will be doing it as long as you meet the turnaround times?
This is working as a "real" IC, not what an MTSO calls an "IC". (sm) - Angie
[ In Reply To ..]
There was no discussion about volume unless a new doctor was added or one went on vacation. I picked up in the AM, worked until it was finished and dropped of at night (or used courier).

Currently I'm an IC for an MTSO that wanted me to have a set schedule, which I cannot do. I offered them a window of hours I could get my time in and this was acceptable to them. They need to know what hours you will be putting in and what days worked so they don't risk losing the account due not maintaining TAT.
How it is - MT
[ In Reply To ..]
For me, I have never guaranteed hours or had a minimum line count requirement. I get work when they send it to me and I turn it back in within the turnaround time. If I know I'm going to be gone for a day or two and won't be around, I let them know and they don't send work. Once I type what they have given me and I turn it back in, they send more. Some doctors that I work for only do dictation a couple of times a week and they send it when it's finished and then I return it within the TAT. I work as an IC for five different companies right now and every single one of them work that way. Some have 24-hour TAT and some have 48-hour TAT.
that is a fallacy - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
Set hours are not against labor laws for independent conractors. The Transcend lawsuit has nothing to do with this issue.
to this is a fallacy - pal
[ In Reply To ..]
You DO NOT know what you are talking about. The ONLY way that companies can get around paying benefits such as insurance, work comp, social security, etc is paying as independent contractors so with that being the case, they cannot have it both ways....EITHER you are an employee and can set hours, days, etc or you are an "independent contractor" who CANNOT have set hours, etc. About Transcend...I DO know what I am talking about....This is just the case. Transcend tried to "make" IC's work many hours, try to set their hours and then when there was no work...NOT pay them...Again, you cannot have it both ways....YOU need to read up on labor laws honey.

Set hours - MT

[ In Reply To ..]
Yes, there are plenty of companies who just require turnaround times and that's it, but in order to do that, you have to stay away from all the nationals. Look for a smaller MTSO. I refuse to work a schedule and have never done so....still don't. I apply for jobs literally, a couple a week, that do not require schedules, and trust me...I watch for that in the ads.

Really - VC

[ In Reply To ..]
I can't find them on here or the other site. Would you be willing to email me with some names? I am in need of just such a place....BADLY

No schedule - MT

[ In Reply To ..]
You just have to watch the ads carefully. For instance, the first job listing on this site is for Documed. It says right in the ad that it is a 24 hour TAT. The second job listing is for Keystrokes and it says flexible hours. There is an ad for world wide dictation that says minimum of an hour and a half a day...which sounds to me like you have to type that, but not necessarily in any given timeframe. There is also a job listing a little further down for general transcription that has a 2-day TAT. On another site, Clear Choice Transcription is hiring and they have a 4 to 6 hour turnaround time. I work for five small companies and not one of the companies I work for require a schedule...either 24 or 48 hour turnaround. They are out there...just read between the lines in the ads.
Yeah, however - VC
[ In Reply To ..]
Most of those companies still require you to tell them when you are going to be working and, how many hours you will commit to. I have applied to some of those before and its the same old story. Just because they have 24 hour TAT, doesn't mean that you don't have to set a schedule with them. It just means that any work that is received by the company MUST be back to the client within 24 hours, so that's a bit of a mistake in reading their ad. Another point, most of the ones that WILL give you an open schedule require you to be an IC. I know I'm asking for the moon here, but I would want at least statutory employee, so I don't have to hold out taxes. I'm not great at that.
Set hours - MT
[ In Reply To ..]
Any company I have ever applied at that says 24-hour TAT has always been "no set schedule." If you are looking for employee status, then I would say no, there are no "come and go as you please" jobs. I've always seen employees have set hours, just like they would in an office setting.
Anymore, no - VC
[ In Reply To ..]
That's all there used to be, but again, it has changed so much, its really not the best field to be in anymore. I used to have a bit of pride doing this job. Now. not so much. Oh well, I wish I could afford to just quit. That's what I would most like, but of course that won't happen until they dig a hole for me.
IC - MT
[ In Reply To ..]
I've never held out taxes. I just bring my 1099s to my tax guy during tax time and do my thing from there. With all the deductions that I'm able to take from being self-employed, I never have to pay in. I also find that being an IC allows you to work for more than one company, which in turn allows you to make more money. You aren't sitting around with NJA and you almost always have work. When you aren't required to work a set schedule, but have a TAT, you can work for more than place and always have work that you can do at your own pace. Also, if you are self-employed, you can deduct 100% of any health insurance premiums that you pay out of pocket.
yeah - VC
[ In Reply To ..]
I never run out of work where I am. In fact, they are always in danger of not getting the work done because there are not enough folks working, so I can work all the overtime I want. Having enough work has never been a problem on the jobs that I have worked on. I have truly never seen that. I don't have a tax guy, and can't afford one, I figure my own taxes but I loathe it. We don't itemize so that's of no benefit to me, not enough deductions for us to do that. My problem is my life away from the computer. I'm ALWAYS at my computer and can't make enough when I'm here. I don't want to give my life for this work, just to make enough to eek by, which is what I'm doing now and having to put in 12 hours to do it and only being paid for 8. Its because of the "productive time" which doesn't allow for looking things up, going to the bathroom, or anything else, and I have to get up and move due to a back problem for at least 5 minutes each hour. I have eliminated all interruptions. I work at night this way nobody interrupts me. Of course, I have no family life and can't go anywhere because the weekends are taken up, and still not enough money, even with shift differentials and weekend pay too.
sorry - SM
[ In Reply To ..]
but it really sounds like it's time for you to get out of MT. If you can't make work work for you, then it has such a negative impact on everything else in your life. If you're making so little income, then finding a job out of the house that allows you to make that income or more sounds like a viable option for you. Good luck. I hope your situation changes and you can find life enjoyable again.
Not true....sm - mt2
[ In Reply To ..]
Two years ago, I worked for a medium size company doing straight typing on a pay scale. Made pretty good $$.

We never had to clock in or out. There was a "full time" line requirement and once you hit it, you were done unless you wanted to work longer. I worked 6 hours a day usually and still made twice what I make now.

I am still in contact with a few of the MTs there - they ran out of work for a couple of days and finally, their largest (and pretty much the only account they have left) admitted they went to Epic. They might have 30% of the work load left to type - for now - so probably not worth applying there.

GOOGLE! Look for MT IC jobs - I just found one...sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I did a Google search for MT IC jobs and have stumbled upon what appears to be a great company (I haven't officially began working, but from all the info I've received, seems legit!). The job you are wanting is out there, you just gotta look.

Are you an IC or employee - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
And just because you work from home, it doesn't mean there's no structure.

Set schedule - MsMT

[ In Reply To ..]
I've been an MT for about 30 years and for the last 10 years had been working for an MTSO as an IC. There was no set schedule there, but we each had to agree to do a certain minimum of lines a day/week, whatever we agreed to when signing up. Now I've just been hired for a company who only offers employee status that has set schedules of 8.5 hours a day, and I'm worried if my arms/hands can take it. I have a rather delicate musculoskeletal system and have always needed to spread my typing out over about 12 hours in a day to avoid pain and possible CTS. Do you think my new company would be open to this and be flexible for me? I'd like to work from 3:00 p.m. to about 2-3:00 a.m. rather than their set 3:00-11:30 schedule. I don't know yet if my work is going to be mostly straight typing or VR editing, but if it's mostly typing, I don't think I can take a strict 8-hour schedule. I can't see why extending my schedule a few hours late at night to early morning/after midnight would compromise them with their clients. Thanks for any feedback.

one answer - noname

[ In Reply To ..]
Silent Type

ST - VC

[ In Reply To ..]
I am an employee where I am at now. The companies generally do give the 12 hour window for folks to do their time in. My problem is, my life doesn't fit in just the other 12 hours, and like you, I have problems now with my hands. I want to work a couple of hours, stop and do something else for a while, come back and work a couple hours, etc. I also have a hip and leg problem and sitting very long causes extreme pain for me and then the pills I have to take for that cause me to sleep. Yesterday I worked from 7:00 p.m. to 2:30 a.m. and by the "production" rules, I didn't have 5 hours in, and that was in 7-1/2 actual hours. So what's up with that? I took two 15 minute breaks.

Now it isn't just that this work doesn't fit with my life, it is that this work has come to a point where it is RULING my life. I can't go here or there because I have to work. I have to give up enjoyment, evening with my family and now, I am having to work 7 days a week to be sure to get my 40 hours in. How would you like to do that? Never a day off? Doesn't seem quite right to me.

I am going to try some of these IC companies. I talked to lawyer friend at church today, he's a tax lawyer and he is going to help me set things up to have it done just pretty much automatically. So maybe that will work for me, but we'll see. And just so the one poster knows, I WOULD DEARLY LOVE TO GET OUT OF THIS BUSINESS. I HAVE HATED IT SINCE I STARTED IT, but when I started, NOTHING could make the money I could make doing this, and no job was so compatible with my life. Now it is totally opposite, and only one thing has held true through it all. I STILL HATE IT!

Similar Messages:

IC Schedules
Sep 08, 2010

I am new to independent contractor status, so I just have a few questions, so bear with me.  I will be contracted with a company to do the work, who is contracted with the the business that needs the work done.  I was told of the work schedule.  I was told by a legal person that ICs set their own schedules; days/hours to work.  So which is it?  Can the transcription company that I would contract with tell me the hours I need to work or can I tell them which hours/days I ...

MT Schedules
Jan 27, 2011

I thought usual MT shifts involved one weekend work day a week.  Is this normal?  I was offered both weekend nights and obviously they are "allowed" to do what they want, but seems a little unfair.  I don't expect any nasty responses of like take what you can get sort of thing, I am just trying to get a consensus of schedules and if I should bring this up, considering there won't be any work on the weekends... thanks ya'll ...

HERE WE GO AGAIN WITH THE SCHEDULES
Jun 09, 2014

Seems like  the QC and TSM are not on the same page - is this the old North region (now whatever) where the QC seems to communicate more than the TSM? As far as I'm concerned, they can all go jump in the Lake (and that's putting it nicely).  ...

SCHEDULES
May 02, 2015

I was curious does everybody who work for MModal work a weekend day? ...

Keystrokes Schedules
Jan 04, 2010

I was wondering if anybody could tell me how flexible they are in scheduling.  I was offered a position that isn't the shift I want to work, but I need the job so I'm considering it.  I'm hoping to be able to change shifts once hired and have been told that wouldn't be a problem.  However, I know first-hand that some MTSOs will say one thing to get you on board but then not do it afterwards.  So, I'm wondering if I should I take t ...

Transcend Schedules
Jun 05, 2011

How well do they work with you on shifts?  Also saw day shifts available in ad, but are they hard to get?  ...

ICs, Do You Stick To Your Schedules?
Jul 21, 2011

I'm just curious how well other ICs stick to their schedules, do you ask for time off or just let management know you won't be there, do you work extra when management asks??? Sometimes I feel like I behave as if I am an employee, but without any of the benefits. I'd like to know what the norm is out there. Thanks! ...

Monitoring Schedules
May 26, 2013

Got a phone call yesterday from TL questioning my being short on my time card.  I had sent in OOW email etc and followed protocol as on that prior Saturday had run out of work which is typical for Saturdays with who I type for, but am still being questioned and was told to take PTO Time to make my 40 hours week.  Said that they were going over making sure everyone was working their assigned schedule.  ...

How Can We Comply To Our Schedules....
Sep 08, 2014

I haven't worked my schedule in over 2 weeks due to being out of work!  It does not seem to be getting any better!   ...

Does Ambulatory Have Set Schedules? -
Jan 27, 2015

I left last summer and at that time they did not.  Curious if they do now.  Thanks. ...

M MODAL Schedules
Feb 13, 2015

I have been offered a position at mmodal. But I have to sign the agreement before I negotiate a schedule. What are current mmodal employees thoughts on this? ...

Do MQ MTs Have Set Schedules? Are There Choice Of Hours?
Apr 26, 2010

aaaaaaaaaa ...

Cannot Approve PTO And Change Schedules
Jun 23, 2010

My CCM says that corporate said she could not approve PTO or make any changes to schedules until after July 4.  Whats with that, anybody know. ...

WMX/Nuance Question About Schedules
Jun 26, 2011

I assume for now they will leave our schedules as they are, but does anyone know if they have requirements like - 6 months before you can change shifts/hours, etc.  Also, does anyone know what their PT requirements are, 20 hours maybe 2 10 hour shifts (hope, hope).   ...

Nuance- Everyone Having To Change Schedules...
Nov 21, 2011

So, what's everybody think about the new policy of having to change our schedules to either Sun-Th or Tues-Sat?  I'm fuming, especially with them doing it right before the holidays, and I don't understand why they didn't just ask for volunteers first.  I'm looking elsewhere.  They've put us through way too much since Nuance taking over, and I've stuck it out until now.  But, I don't know if there's very many companies out there tha ...

Accentus - Flexibility With Schedules
Feb 21, 2012

Hi.  I was wondering if there are any Accentus employees here that could tell me a little about working for them..specifically, their 15 hour weekend position, 3rd shift positions and if they are employee status positions.  I was also wondering if it a set schedule because I had read that there is more flexibility with schedules with Accentus, etc.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks! ...

Nuance Flexible Schedules?
Apr 24, 2012

I am due to join this company due to merger.  Can someone please tell me if they offer any kind of flexible schedule?  Thank you in advance. ...

Question Regarding Keystrokes Schedules.
Aug 01, 2012

I was contacted by KS regarding some openings.  One schedule is Mon, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday.   I'd rather have Saturdays off and work sundays.   IF I took this job, how often can you request a Saturday off, working one of your days off in its place?  ...

Why Are We Threatened About Changing Our Schedules When There (sm)
May 18, 2013

is no work, and now that work has picked up there will be mandatory schedule changes????  I really resent being punished for the company's work-flow issues.  It's bad enough that they throw a ridiculous amount of accts with different profiles at us and at the same time expect perfect work but charge us to use QA and constant reminders that corporate is looking at our line counts.  My stomach is contantly in knots while I'm working so why would I ...

Anyone Heard Anything About Christmas Schedules?
Dec 01, 2013

holidays, so 1 person doesnt have to work all day.  We worked out T'Day schedule but not a word is heard about Christmas.  And dont they usually do their diabolical plans into action right before Christmas/end of the year?  Just wondering if anyone else has heard anything about PTO/scheduling for the Christmas holiday. ...

Its No Big Deal To Move Your Schedules Again!
Jun 06, 2015

If the bulk of our work is nights and weekends, why arent our lovely HDSAs and TSAs working the same damn hours?  I dont care about their families or if they have to work two jobs and cant keep changing their hours (oh wait, they get a living wage and dont work 2 jobs).  I have changed my hours 3 times in the past 8 months.  What happened to all the new hires?  What, gave them 9-5 also?     Dont they know they are chasing their own damn tails?  Moving our hou ...

What Companies Are More Flexible With Their Hours/schedules
Aug 04, 2010

I read a post on one of the boards yesterday by someone who was asking what companies are more flexible with their hours/schedules, etc.  Wanted to read responses and cannot find the original post to save my soul!!  Anybody know what board it is on? Thanks ...

Webmedx Changing Schedules Before 90 Days
Sep 14, 2011

I know you are supposed to work a shift for ? months before you can change, but...  I have been offered a FT in house position and would like to switch my PT hours to go around those.  Do you think there is any chance?  Should I even ask or is it set in stone?  Has anyone been allowed to do this?  Does it depend on the account manager?   I don't really want to quit WMX, really, really want to stay part time but I don't want to turn down a FT in house ...

Any Companies Offer Flexible Schedules?
Dec 28, 2011

Just wondering if there are any companies out there that offer flexible schedules.  I am currently a substitute teacher, so I don't have a set schedule for work.  I have about 5 years of transcriptions experience and would like to pick up about 15-25 hours of transcribing per week, but I don't want a set schedule.  Any ideas?  Thanks! ...

Companies With Employee Status That Offer Flexible Schedules?
Aug 05, 2012

I know this has probably been asked so many times on this board, but I am currently working for a company as an employee, full time, and I'd really like to move on. I've been there 6 years and the only thing that is holding me back right now is the fact that I need to have a flexible schedule and I don't really want IC status.  Right now, I work 2 hours in the morning and 6-7 hours in the evenings. However, if one of my kids has a dance class or karate in the evening and I&# ...

What A Crock...We Are Told To Adjust Our Schedules For This Massive Onslaught Of Work..Sm
Mar 30, 2013

and, of course, there is no work to speak of at all.  This is pure BS.  Something is surely fishy and we are being lied to daily.  I regret every day I entered this field, but then, when I did, I was able to support myself.  Not anymore, but that's the same old song and dance. ...

TTS - Can "flex" Our Schedules
May 21, 2012

I was just hired 3 weeks ago for a new account that wtarts out with straight typing and will go to VR. I practically get no work on this account since I think they overhired. Alos they gave me a backup account that now almost every day I run out of work almost ebery day on the backup account. Every week there is at least 1 whole day where I have every no work on either account or only 1 hour's worth of work. Supposedly they are looking into giving me a third account. Meantime, their mi ...