A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

IC schedules - new to this

Posted: Sep 08, 2010

I am new to independent contractor status, so I just have a few questions, so bear with me.  I will be contracted with a company to do the work, who is contracted with the the business that needs the work done.  I was told of the work schedule.  I was told by a legal person that ICs set their own schedules; days/hours to work.  So which is it?  Can the transcription company that I would contract with tell me the hours I need to work or can I tell them which hours/days I can work?  And how do holidays play into it?  I wouldn't get time and a half for a holiday, would I? 

IC status - Happy MT Robin

[ In Reply To ..]
the trade off for being an IC is that you do not get holiday pay or benefits of any sort. The good part is you get to set your own schedule.

It's sort of a gray area. The employer CANNOT tell you that you have to work from 3 pm to 11 pm every night. They can, however, phrase it as the work is available from 3 pm to 11 pm, but that is walking a very thin line.

Some of the criteria for being a contractor as opposed to an employee in any industry is does the employer specifically tell you how to do your job, does the employer supervise how you do your job, does the employer provide the tools/equipment you need to do the job. Again, it's a very gray area.

Most people will tell you that as an IC you do not abide by a schedule the MTSO sets. If the MTSO says you must work such and such a time, then they are treating you as an employee and must classify and pay you as such.

I work as an IC. They ask us to commit a month at a time to a schedule, not in terms of times that we are going to work, but how many lines we are going to commit to typing on any given day. It is completely up to me how many lines I tell them I am going to work and their only request at that point is that I keep that commitment so they know how to manage the work flow. I also do the lines at various times throughout the day depending on my other work schedules.

Have you signed anything with the company yet? Read very carefully the contract that they have you sign, and you should indeed be signing a contract. In a perfect world, that contract is one that would be provided by you with your terms, but I went with the contract my company provided as I didn't have any problems with the terms that it contained.

Bottom line is if they are telling you that you have to commit to a very specific schedule then you are not a contractor, you are an employee and they must classify and pay you as such.

All ICs I know sign a contract, which my experience says what - what hrs you will work. What about that?NM

[ In Reply To ..]
d

As long as YOU are the one designating those hours, - Happy MT Robin

[ In Reply To ..]
no one will have anything to say about that. The point is that the MTSO CANNOT dictate those hours to you if they want to classify you as an IC.

That's what I have to say about that. So does the IRS.

But many sign even if specific hours. So they have to follow - that schedule, since they signed? nm

[ In Reply To ..]
?
[ In Reply To ..]
Thanks everyone. The person I talked to did mention specific hours. I haven't received the contract yet to see if that is mentioned there. What if it is? What would I do if they tell me I have to work specific hours?
Honestly? I'd bring that point up and renegotiate - Happy MT Robin
[ In Reply To ..]
If they insist on a specific schedule, then I would insist that they classify me as an employee. Why work a set schedule if you're not at least going to have the hassle of paying your taxes taken care of?

That's just me, though.

Now my break's over and I have to go back to work. You may talk to your attorney friend as well and see what suggestions you get from that corner.

Good luck, whatever you decide to do.
2 choices. Either accept or dont accept. A decision only - you can make. nm
[ In Reply To ..]
me
If you agree to it as a contractor, then yes, you must abide by it. - Happy MT Robin
[ In Reply To ..]
It doesn't make the MTSO any less wrong in how they are classifying you, but if you agree to it, then you have to stick to your agreement, imo. Again, the regulations are not clear at all - it's the IRS, why would they want to make things clear - so it's a very thin line that is walked in terms of schedules, etc.

I know they do it, but they shouldn't - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
As an IC you should not have set hours to work. That is too much control by the employer for them to classify you as IC. ICs usually have to sign a contract committing to a certain amount of work each day, but the hours should not be set for you. Again, companies do it, and if the line rate is higher than you could get as an employee it might be worth it for you. For me personally, if I'm going to have someone set my hours I'm sure as heck going to get my payroll taxes taken out!

Payroll taxes taken out of IC and employee pay. - nm

[ In Reply To ..]

Every MTSO is different of course but as an IC - sm - ICMT

[ In Reply To ..]
you work the days you want and the hours you want. HOWEVER, they can say, hey we need you to get your work done in a 12 hour window on T-Sat....if you agree then you agree, if not then doubtful they will be hiring you. There are jobs out there where you work whenever you want hour wise as long as you get work done in TAT (I have one of those). I work pretty much 7 days a week though as my doctors (Assigned in my case) dictate generally M-F but sometimes one will sneak in some work on Saturday or Sunday, and of course all work dictated on Friday has to be in by 8am on Monday morning. So you cannot pull, hey I don't feel like working today, that morning, like any job they want, need, and would like notice as they require reliability, they'd be sunk without it. You can tell them I will only work M-F from 8-5, no weekends, if they agree, great. As for holiday, no you don't get paid any different, certainly not time and a half which is for employees, not IC. You might get some sort of incentive pay possibly, again depends on the MTSO, but I would not hold my breath on any extra pay.

[ In Reply To ..]
Thanks for the input everyone. Very much appreciated!

New to This, my first question is whether I'm really an IC. - Pragmatist

[ In Reply To ..]
Some ICs are really employees, but a real IC is a freestanding business with all the responsibilities that entails. For genuine ICs, among other things there are a whole lot of new issues, or newly important ones, being generated as a result of HIPAA and subsequent regulations. Have you taken a HIPAA class yet, or learned what you need on your own?

Your contractor should be able to provide very specific answers to all IC questions since most IC MTs are amateurs and need guidance to be compliant with all regulations. Your contractor may want to not spend a lot of time on this--or may not be doing good risk management in the first place, which could lead to serious problems. Their mistakes, for instance, landing on your head. Legal fees required simply to excuse one from a lawsuit or defend innocence against charges could put many of us in debt for potentially the rest of our lives.

Issues include such things as does my equipment meet legal standards, including encription, etc. Even if it's provided by a contractor, their negligence on this part would not excuse an IC, who has his own responsibility under the law.

First off, though, I would want to know simply if I was named as an Additional Insured on my contractor's liability coverages and what is covered and not covered. Or whether I needed to obtain my own. Used to be most ICs were, but this may have changed and is important to know. I liked being an AI when that was possible so one set of attorneys defends both parties whose interests are typically the same.

It's been years since I was an IC, and never as an MT, so I just don't know many of the things I would need to go into business for myself, and your question also suggests that's where you are. Homework is definitely in order. Unless your contractor is very impressive about educating you, I wouldn't rely on them for anything.

Not meaning to be scary, because good housekeeping here as at home will keep the roof from falling in (almost always--falling airplanes not covered on insurance policies or protected from by good roof maintenance), but that housekeeping does need to be done. And one thing that hasn't and never will change: Document EVERYTHING!

Enjoy your job... :)

MD does final sign-off on document. Any mistakes - him, not MT. nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x
Sorry, NM, but totally and dangerously incorrect. - Pragmatist
[ In Reply To ..]
We are all responsible for our own product. A physician's negligence does not excuse our own. Our negligence does not excuse the physician's. For instance, it's well accepted that we are to check for the correct patient name. If a physician enters a wrong name and we fail to catch it, both parties are negligent under various laws and both responsible. States do vary in how they handle contributory negligence, the fed has its own standard, and a mistake like mistaken ID falls under both state and federal law.

IC work - Lordis

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm an IC and I work whenever I want. Normally days but if I'm tired I work at night and have done this for about 10 years and have never received any type of holiday pay, sick pay etc.

Similar Messages:

MT Schedules
Jan 27, 2011

I thought usual MT shifts involved one weekend work day a week.  Is this normal?  I was offered both weekend nights and obviously they are "allowed" to do what they want, but seems a little unfair.  I don't expect any nasty responses of like take what you can get sort of thing, I am just trying to get a consensus of schedules and if I should bring this up, considering there won't be any work on the weekends... thanks ya'll ...

No Set Schedules?
Jun 08, 2013

Are there any companies anymore that do not require you to set in stone your hours that you want to work?  The company I work for now has a 12-hour timeframe that you can do your 8 hours in, but its one of those things that when you start, if you get up or get a phone call or have to do anything whatsoever, the time is counted off of your productive time, and you have to add it back on the back end so you end up working throughout the whole 12 hours to get your 8. What if I don't want ...

HERE WE GO AGAIN WITH THE SCHEDULES
Jun 09, 2014

Seems like  the QC and TSM are not on the same page - is this the old North region (now whatever) where the QC seems to communicate more than the TSM? As far as I'm concerned, they can all go jump in the Lake (and that's putting it nicely).  ...

SCHEDULES
May 02, 2015

I was curious does everybody who work for MModal work a weekend day? ...

Keystrokes Schedules
Jan 04, 2010

I was wondering if anybody could tell me how flexible they are in scheduling.  I was offered a position that isn't the shift I want to work, but I need the job so I'm considering it.  I'm hoping to be able to change shifts once hired and have been told that wouldn't be a problem.  However, I know first-hand that some MTSOs will say one thing to get you on board but then not do it afterwards.  So, I'm wondering if I should I take t ...

Transcend Schedules
Jun 05, 2011

How well do they work with you on shifts?  Also saw day shifts available in ad, but are they hard to get?  ...

ICs, Do You Stick To Your Schedules?
Jul 21, 2011

I'm just curious how well other ICs stick to their schedules, do you ask for time off or just let management know you won't be there, do you work extra when management asks??? Sometimes I feel like I behave as if I am an employee, but without any of the benefits. I'd like to know what the norm is out there. Thanks! ...

Monitoring Schedules
May 26, 2013

Got a phone call yesterday from TL questioning my being short on my time card.  I had sent in OOW email etc and followed protocol as on that prior Saturday had run out of work which is typical for Saturdays with who I type for, but am still being questioned and was told to take PTO Time to make my 40 hours week.  Said that they were going over making sure everyone was working their assigned schedule.  ...

How Can We Comply To Our Schedules....
Sep 08, 2014

I haven't worked my schedule in over 2 weeks due to being out of work!  It does not seem to be getting any better!   ...

Does Ambulatory Have Set Schedules? -
Jan 27, 2015

I left last summer and at that time they did not.  Curious if they do now.  Thanks. ...

M MODAL Schedules
Feb 13, 2015

I have been offered a position at mmodal. But I have to sign the agreement before I negotiate a schedule. What are current mmodal employees thoughts on this? ...

Do MQ MTs Have Set Schedules? Are There Choice Of Hours?
Apr 26, 2010

aaaaaaaaaa ...

Cannot Approve PTO And Change Schedules
Jun 23, 2010

My CCM says that corporate said she could not approve PTO or make any changes to schedules until after July 4.  Whats with that, anybody know. ...

WMX/Nuance Question About Schedules
Jun 26, 2011

I assume for now they will leave our schedules as they are, but does anyone know if they have requirements like - 6 months before you can change shifts/hours, etc.  Also, does anyone know what their PT requirements are, 20 hours maybe 2 10 hour shifts (hope, hope).   ...

Nuance- Everyone Having To Change Schedules...
Nov 21, 2011

So, what's everybody think about the new policy of having to change our schedules to either Sun-Th or Tues-Sat?  I'm fuming, especially with them doing it right before the holidays, and I don't understand why they didn't just ask for volunteers first.  I'm looking elsewhere.  They've put us through way too much since Nuance taking over, and I've stuck it out until now.  But, I don't know if there's very many companies out there tha ...

Accentus - Flexibility With Schedules
Feb 21, 2012

Hi.  I was wondering if there are any Accentus employees here that could tell me a little about working for them..specifically, their 15 hour weekend position, 3rd shift positions and if they are employee status positions.  I was also wondering if it a set schedule because I had read that there is more flexibility with schedules with Accentus, etc.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks! ...

Nuance Flexible Schedules?
Apr 24, 2012

I am due to join this company due to merger.  Can someone please tell me if they offer any kind of flexible schedule?  Thank you in advance. ...

Question Regarding Keystrokes Schedules.
Aug 01, 2012

I was contacted by KS regarding some openings.  One schedule is Mon, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday.   I'd rather have Saturdays off and work sundays.   IF I took this job, how often can you request a Saturday off, working one of your days off in its place?  ...

Why Are We Threatened About Changing Our Schedules When There (sm)
May 18, 2013

is no work, and now that work has picked up there will be mandatory schedule changes????  I really resent being punished for the company's work-flow issues.  It's bad enough that they throw a ridiculous amount of accts with different profiles at us and at the same time expect perfect work but charge us to use QA and constant reminders that corporate is looking at our line counts.  My stomach is contantly in knots while I'm working so why would I ...

Anyone Heard Anything About Christmas Schedules?
Dec 01, 2013

holidays, so 1 person doesnt have to work all day.  We worked out T'Day schedule but not a word is heard about Christmas.  And dont they usually do their diabolical plans into action right before Christmas/end of the year?  Just wondering if anyone else has heard anything about PTO/scheduling for the Christmas holiday. ...

Its No Big Deal To Move Your Schedules Again!
Jun 06, 2015

If the bulk of our work is nights and weekends, why arent our lovely HDSAs and TSAs working the same damn hours?  I dont care about their families or if they have to work two jobs and cant keep changing their hours (oh wait, they get a living wage and dont work 2 jobs).  I have changed my hours 3 times in the past 8 months.  What happened to all the new hires?  What, gave them 9-5 also?     Dont they know they are chasing their own damn tails?  Moving our hou ...

What Companies Are More Flexible With Their Hours/schedules
Aug 04, 2010

I read a post on one of the boards yesterday by someone who was asking what companies are more flexible with their hours/schedules, etc.  Wanted to read responses and cannot find the original post to save my soul!!  Anybody know what board it is on? Thanks ...

Webmedx Changing Schedules Before 90 Days
Sep 14, 2011

I know you are supposed to work a shift for ? months before you can change, but...  I have been offered a FT in house position and would like to switch my PT hours to go around those.  Do you think there is any chance?  Should I even ask or is it set in stone?  Has anyone been allowed to do this?  Does it depend on the account manager?   I don't really want to quit WMX, really, really want to stay part time but I don't want to turn down a FT in house ...

Any Companies Offer Flexible Schedules?
Dec 28, 2011

Just wondering if there are any companies out there that offer flexible schedules.  I am currently a substitute teacher, so I don't have a set schedule for work.  I have about 5 years of transcriptions experience and would like to pick up about 15-25 hours of transcribing per week, but I don't want a set schedule.  Any ideas?  Thanks! ...

Companies With Employee Status That Offer Flexible Schedules?
Aug 05, 2012

I know this has probably been asked so many times on this board, but I am currently working for a company as an employee, full time, and I'd really like to move on. I've been there 6 years and the only thing that is holding me back right now is the fact that I need to have a flexible schedule and I don't really want IC status.  Right now, I work 2 hours in the morning and 6-7 hours in the evenings. However, if one of my kids has a dance class or karate in the evening and I&# ...

What A Crock...We Are Told To Adjust Our Schedules For This Massive Onslaught Of Work..Sm
Mar 30, 2013

and, of course, there is no work to speak of at all.  This is pure BS.  Something is surely fishy and we are being lied to daily.  I regret every day I entered this field, but then, when I did, I was able to support myself.  Not anymore, but that's the same old song and dance. ...

TTS - Can "flex" Our Schedules
May 21, 2012

I was just hired 3 weeks ago for a new account that wtarts out with straight typing and will go to VR. I practically get no work on this account since I think they overhired. Alos they gave me a backup account that now almost every day I run out of work almost ebery day on the backup account. Every week there is at least 1 whole day where I have every no work on either account or only 1 hour's worth of work. Supposedly they are looking into giving me a third account. Meantime, their mi ...