A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

I dislike learning transcription software - me

Posted: Feb 04, 2015

Information gets thrown at you through training, and it doesn't all absorb right away, and you don't know what you're doing for a while. i hate that feeling of not being confident working with the software.

I've had jobs where all you had to do was look at a list, match it to the patient, and type. (or jobs where very little learning of sofware was involved.). I wish I had a job like that again. Added to the annoyance are the IM programs, punching webclocks, special e-mail programs. etc., I wish I didn't have to take this job, yet I am lucky to have a job. Sigh.

This is the toughest job and position I have ever been in - catch 22

[ In Reply To ..]
I hear you on your last comment. Lucky to have a job. Unfortunately that plays against us (or maybe just me).

I'm pretty computer savvy, but like you when you first start a program I feel lost. That is how I felt about 5 years ago when I learned the program I am working on. Then I became a whiz and flew through it (ranging anywhere from 1400-1600 lines a day), then they changed things around. Finally got good with it, then the system decided to throw paragraphs at the bottom of the document, start putting certain words in upper cases for no reason, started putting in sentences that were never dictated, not putting in things that were dictated. Sometimes I have to hunt and peck for a section and while I am in the middle of moving it where it belongs it keeps jumping back to where it was and does not below. I thought VR/SR was supposed to be editing small things like grammar and punctuation. Now it takes me twice as long and I'm still no where near what I used to be able to do (I'm now between 600-800 lines and I can't seem to get more, which I know I can do because I did it in the past before all these changes).

I'm trying to improve my skills to get a better paying job, yet have no time to better my skills because I have to work all the time and I'm still not able to make ends meet, but with no other income coming in just feel stuck, yet lucky to have a job.

Similar Messages:

Learning New Types Of Transcription
Jul 09, 2014

Do any of the transcription companies offer unpaid internships that help you move on to new types of transcription?  I've typed radiology for 20+ years.  I also have typed neurobehavioral psychology and pain management psychology.  But acute care I've not done (except radiology inside a hospital for 8 years).  Any info would be gratefully accepted. ...

Pathology Transcription - Difference Besides Learning The Format?
Mar 26, 2012

I have 18 years experience in acute care transcription in just about everything except "pathology transcription."  I have done a lot of ops of all kinds, oncology, neurology, cardiology, infectious disease, etc.  Is Pathology transcription that different?  I've done tumor staging, chemo protocols, just about any type of EEG, TEE, cath, radiology, etc.  The reason I'm asking is I saw a job for a "Pathology transcriptionist" and I really believe I'm qualified with my knowledge, ...

What Transcription Software Should I Get?
Apr 10, 2013

I think a common question that brings people to MT forums is "What transcription software should I get?" I recently spent some time trying various software products and here are my experiences. They are just my impressions, but I thought it might help someone else wondering the same question. Transcription Software Impressions. YMMV   Digiscribe - Exhibited erratic pedal operation as if more than one pedal is being pressed at one time. Express Scribe - Loads a lot of addition ...

Transcription Software
Feb 06, 2015

I currently am using FTW to listen to dictation.  Would anyone know of software that you can set the speed and it will keep it there until you want it to change.  I have to keep changing the speed over and over again.   Thanks ...

Philips Transcription Software Help
Mar 31, 2010

I am about to start transcribing for a doctor who uses a hand held Philips 9360 digital recorder.  Can anyone give me some information on what kind of software I need to purchase to transcribe from this?  I've been online trying to find out but there is so much information, and I am not sure what I need to be looking for.  Hope this makes sense!  Thanks in advance. ...

Allscripts EHR Software And Transcription
May 21, 2012

Allscripts EHR software - my acct clinic/hospital is implementing this software - does anyone know how this software will affect my transcription ? ...

Any Suggestions For Transcription Software?
May 16, 2013

Does anyone out there know of a reliable transcription software program that can be downloaded from the internet? Over the years I have used Express Scribe, but after recently downloading to my new computer (Win 8), I have been unable to get any sound. Nothing. Multiple support requests result in the same answer over and over - but still no sound. Really need a reliable (free or low cost) program that works with a foot pedal. Any suggestions? ...

Top Medical Transcription Software
Aug 15, 2014

Does anyone know the best medical transcription software on the market right now? ...

Medical Transcription Typing Software
Nov 01, 2010

Hello - I just found out that Stedman's Smartype has been discontinued by Stedmans plus they will offer no tech support. What are other people using as a similar program? I have really like Smartype by am open to other suggestions. Thanks. BanjoGrammie ...

Transcription Software-Gear Player
Jan 17, 2011

I am curious to know what everyone is using for their transcription software. Is anyone using Gear Player? Is it the best or is WavPedal or something else? It looks like to me from what I have seen on the web that Gear Player is a good one. ...

Transcription Software Olympus DS7000
Jul 24, 2013

Have AS3000 Olympus equipment now. Boss got Olympus DS7000. It produces duplicate files one in voice and another in .XML format. If I get the 7000 transcription software for my end will it still produce duplicate files? Any help appreciated. ...

Dislike On Posts
Mar 16, 2014

I am just curious as to why some choose to Dislike a post when it is another just voicing an opinion, venting or just asking a question.  To me this is a place to communicate with other transcriptionists since most of us work at home and others in our lives really don't understand what we are talking about.  I realize everyone is entitled to their opinion and many read the posts.   Maybe I should not pay attention to the dislikes, but a lot of times I find ...

I Dislike The Teamwork Timecards!
Oct 15, 2009

I am sure I will get it soon, but for right now I am looking through my time card because we have to approve them soon and I am like "What in the world is going on?"  I assume it is right though.  ...

I Wish There Was A Like/dislike Button On These Forums! Nm
Apr 01, 2011

. ...

TOP 10 REASONS TO DISLIKE NUANCE
May 20, 2014

1.  Low pay. 2.  Fiesa with no rhyme or reason for scores. 3. Too many managers/mini managers with rambling corporate speak emails. 4. Rambling client specifics on different accounts all subject to interpretation. 5.  Client specifics not uniform. 6.  Spark.  People you are told to contact are unavailable.  Lists should be alphabetized.   7.  Incompetent support staff. 8.  Bad VR which does not learn through correction.  Same mistakes over ...

Foot Pedal/transcription Software For Free? I Tried Express But It Said I Need To Buy It Now. Nm
Apr 20, 2015

x ...

Wish Job Seeker's Board Had Dislike Button. Nm
Sep 26, 2012

nm ...

Transcription Software - Any Preference Of Express Scribe Or Gear Player?
Nov 19, 2009

Does anyone have any preference of Express Scribe or Gear player?  Is one better than the other? ...

Transcription Software So That Doctor Can Dictate Into A Digital Recorder From His Office
Apr 20, 2010

Does anybody know of a good software program or system where the doctor can dictate into a digital recorder from his office, upload it to my computer and that I could transcribe using a footpedal (that I already have) and then upload it and send it back to the doctor?  The doctor would like to start using a digital system ASAP, so any information would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you! ...

Free VR Software That I Could Use As A "middleman" To Do Some Of My Transcription For Me?
May 11, 2012

Has anyone tried using VR software to get a rough draft of your transcription that you can then go in and proof to audio personally?  It sound like it would be a great help, but not sure of the logistics - putting the mic up to the speaker, etc...has anyone tried this successfully or am I just wishful thinking?  ...

What I Dislike Most About Working On A "platform"
Jan 22, 2012

That moment when you are a few sentences into the next dictation and you realize you made an error on the last report and there is no way to go back :( ...

Is VR Really Learning?
May 19, 2011

Seriously...  I cannot for the life of me figure out what the doc was saying at one point, but VR inserted that the patient had a "menstrual valley illness"...  Glad I never had that!    ...

VR Learning
Aug 05, 2011

In a training on EditScript today, we were told in editing a report to change the whole word that is wrong, not just change on letter, for example, if it puts sever and the word is supposed to be severe, to change the whole word, not just add the e.  The trainer said that the system learns better that way.  So my question is, and I would have asked her if I had thought of it at the time, does VR learn when we use word expansions.  Is it learning from the keystrokes we use or from ...

Learning To
May 12, 2012

Please read my message on main board about learning to tweet.  I think we could make a difference with social media. ...

Learning A New Field
Mar 03, 2010

What would be the best way to get into another field? I have been doing neurology now for about 6 years and I am very interested in getting into something else, and really this is the only field I know because I havent had practice with anything else.  Im just getting kind of bored with the neurology lingo.  If I were to apply for a job that is hiring in a different field, would they consider me a "newby"? Has anyone ever been hired for a field they have no ex ...

I Hate Learning This Way
Apr 01, 2010

I wish somebody would figure out a way to train new hires other than setting them down with only a few hours training and letting them type their entire shift without a word from anyone, only to have QA come in the next morning and correct all the reports. I hate learning this way, I do something wrong, spell something about the facility wrong, all night long only to learn the next day that it is wrong. It is such a waste of my and my QAs time to do it this way, it sucks. And heaven forbid you h ...

Learning Coding
Jan 30, 2012

Is there any coder out there who has 'self-taught' themselves and successfully passed the CCS and working?  I'm an MT whose so ready to change to coding, but keep putting it off schooling due to being financially strapped (as MT'ing just barely pays the simple bills.....nothing more).  I also think being an MT will put me at an advantage in learning coding than someone 'off the street'/no knowledge of any facet of the medical field.  Any thoughts? ...

Learning E/m Coding And....(sm)
Jun 17, 2012

I have been trying to find a downloadable/printable version of the "E and M documentatinoadn coding worksheet in aqua and gray."  Hoping someone can help me! ...

I'm Excited About Learning Something New
Sep 11, 2012

I'm getting everything together to start on a new path. I've been impressed with so many of you who have taken on a new career even though you, like me, are well out of your 30s and 40s. I am inspired by people I've met on here who are changing their lives. I've seen you say that it scares you, but you're doing it anyway. I really have to respect that. Congratulations to all of us! ...

Learning New Specialty
Nov 14, 2012

Hey I am possibly going to interview with a Cancer Institute and I have no experience in this area. I am a 7 year medical transcriptionist and had a 7 year job in a small pediatric clinic for 4 doctors. What should I do to prepare if I work here and what things should I study and bring with me to work if I get the job? ...