A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Any suggestions for transcription software? - Susan

Posted: May 16, 2013

Does anyone out there know of a reliable transcription software program that can be downloaded from the internet? Over the years I have used Express Scribe, but after recently downloading to my new computer (Win 8), I have been unable to get any sound. Nothing. Multiple support requests result in the same answer over and over - but still no sound. Really need a reliable (free or low cost) program that works with a foot pedal. Any suggestions?

I like this one, but I don't use it regularly for transcription. - Just the odd testing file, etc.

[ In Reply To ..]

http://www.fortherecord.com/products/therecordplayer/

http://community.fortherecord.com/index.php?/page/playerdownload

Thank you - Susan

[ In Reply To ..]
I'll take a look at this - yes, this is just for the occasional use for me, too. Appreciate the input!

You're welcome. I just noticed you said Windows 8 in original post. - sm

[ In Reply To ..]

Someone else asked about that recently, and I found this:  

http://community.fortherecord.com/index.php?/topic/2236-new-version-of-player-therecord-player-562/

By the way, since it took me a little while to find it, the keyboard commands for increasing/decreasing volume, speed, etc. (which can be reset to your own combos) are under the little rectangular icon with the lines through it at the far left in the top row of 5 icons: "Open TheRecord Player Properties," Shortcuts tab  

FYI, apparently it's also good at playing some file types, like .dss, that other players have issues with.  

AHA! - Susan
[ In Reply To ..]
Thank you again!!

Similar Messages:

DQS Software Suggestions / Speech
Oct 18, 2011

Have sent several long letters to present and former MQ management and CCM suggesting that MTs (which I still call myself) have input in the software corrections and improvements regarding Speech.  I know there are some MTs who went into IT, but where is there input.  It may have been there initially, however over the past year it seems like we are having a lag in the software correction process in that it is not being updated in terms of correcting capability.  I have many sugges ...

Suggestions For Antiviral Software
Jul 25, 2012

My McAfee subscription is running out soon and I don't really want to pay 70 bucks to renew it, especially since it was 44 last year.  Any suggestions on good software?  AVG or Kaspersky?  Any recommendations on what you like, less than 50 bucks.  I have done the freeware before and did not really feel secure.  Thanks. ...

Suggestions For A Good Antivirus Software?
Jul 15, 2011

I have just spent the better part of my evening waging war against a very pesky and persistent virus called backdoor.cycbot.  After several scans in safe mode, I think I finally got it, but now a bunch of my desktop icons are gone and on my start menu, when you click on the program name, there's nothing, just the word "empty."  Long story short, I had manually find all my programs through Windows Explorer and creat a shortcut on my desktop for each and every one of them and I stil ...

Line Count Software Suggestions
Feb 24, 2015

Can anyone recommend line counting software? ...

Having Trouble Using Stedmans Smartype With Windows 7/Suggestions For Other Software That Does The S
Aug 16, 2011

I tried loading my Stedmans Smartype on my new Windows 7 computer. It won't read it even with the addition of Windows 7 Pro which is supposed to read 32 bit programs. Any suggestions for new or different software to use? Or just suggestions for using the program with Windows 7 would be great. Thanks! ...

Suggestions On The Best COMFORTABLE Headset For Transcription?
Aug 10, 2010

I'm looking for suggestions on the best COMFORTABLE headset for transcription?  It seems like I go through 2 pair a year.  I even bought more expensive ones last time thinking that would help.  Nope, the right ear went out.  Very frustrating.  Thanks in advance. ...

Seeking Suggestions/advice For Returning To Transcription Field
Nov 09, 2010

I have been out of transcription for almost 2 years.  Long story, but a combination of health problems coinciding with job loss due to cutbacks.  Anyway, I worked for 3 years transcribing for local multi-specialty clinics.  I realize now that was probably a mistake since everyone is hiring for acute care (which I have done but that was 10 years ago).  I have recently seen some companies that are hiring for clinic transcription, but I need to "refresh" my knowledge and skills ...

What Transcription Software Should I Get?
Apr 10, 2013

I think a common question that brings people to MT forums is "What transcription software should I get?" I recently spent some time trying various software products and here are my experiences. They are just my impressions, but I thought it might help someone else wondering the same question. Transcription Software Impressions. YMMV   Digiscribe - Exhibited erratic pedal operation as if more than one pedal is being pressed at one time. Express Scribe - Loads a lot of addition ...

Transcription Software
Feb 06, 2015

I currently am using FTW to listen to dictation.  Would anyone know of software that you can set the speed and it will keep it there until you want it to change.  I have to keep changing the speed over and over again.   Thanks ...

Philips Transcription Software Help
Mar 31, 2010

I am about to start transcribing for a doctor who uses a hand held Philips 9360 digital recorder.  Can anyone give me some information on what kind of software I need to purchase to transcribe from this?  I've been online trying to find out but there is so much information, and I am not sure what I need to be looking for.  Hope this makes sense!  Thanks in advance. ...

Allscripts EHR Software And Transcription
May 21, 2012

Allscripts EHR software - my acct clinic/hospital is implementing this software - does anyone know how this software will affect my transcription ? ...

Top Medical Transcription Software
Aug 15, 2014

Does anyone know the best medical transcription software on the market right now? ...

Medical Transcription Typing Software
Nov 01, 2010

Hello - I just found out that Stedman's Smartype has been discontinued by Stedmans plus they will offer no tech support. What are other people using as a similar program? I have really like Smartype by am open to other suggestions. Thanks. BanjoGrammie ...

Transcription Software-Gear Player
Jan 17, 2011

I am curious to know what everyone is using for their transcription software. Is anyone using Gear Player? Is it the best or is WavPedal or something else? It looks like to me from what I have seen on the web that Gear Player is a good one. ...

Transcription Software Olympus DS7000
Jul 24, 2013

Have AS3000 Olympus equipment now. Boss got Olympus DS7000. It produces duplicate files one in voice and another in .XML format. If I get the 7000 transcription software for my end will it still produce duplicate files? Any help appreciated. ...

I Dislike Learning Transcription Software
Feb 04, 2015

Information gets thrown at you through training, and it doesn't all absorb right away, and you don't know what you're doing for a while. i hate that feeling of not being confident working with the software. I've had jobs where all you had to do was look at a list, match it to the patient, and type. (or jobs where very little learning of sofware was involved.). I wish I had a job like that again. Added to the annoyance are the IM programs, punching webclocks, special e-mail p ...

Foot Pedal/transcription Software For Free? I Tried Express But It Said I Need To Buy It Now. Nm
Apr 20, 2015

x ...

Transcription Software - Any Preference Of Express Scribe Or Gear Player?
Nov 19, 2009

Does anyone have any preference of Express Scribe or Gear player?  Is one better than the other? ...

Transcription Software So That Doctor Can Dictate Into A Digital Recorder From His Office
Apr 20, 2010

Does anybody know of a good software program or system where the doctor can dictate into a digital recorder from his office, upload it to my computer and that I could transcribe using a footpedal (that I already have) and then upload it and send it back to the doctor?  The doctor would like to start using a digital system ASAP, so any information would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you! ...

Free VR Software That I Could Use As A "middleman" To Do Some Of My Transcription For Me?
May 11, 2012

Has anyone tried using VR software to get a rough draft of your transcription that you can then go in and proof to audio personally?  It sound like it would be a great help, but not sure of the logistics - putting the mic up to the speaker, etc...has anyone tried this successfully or am I just wishful thinking?  ...

ANY Suggestions??
Oct 18, 2009

"Rhinoscopy reveals mucoid discharge present in the rexny of the mashnoid." Yea..."rexny of the mash-noid".... ...

SUGGESTIONS PLEASE
Jul 13, 2010

Hello everyone.  I am another one of those lower Alabama MT's.  I really need some pointers on what to do here.  When I started transcribing a few years back, my mentor told me once I got the grip, that I needed to consider getting my own accounts and eliminate the middle man and I would do so much better.  Well.....easier said that done!! I am the sole provider for my family.  I have three kids.  I find myself raking and scraping every two weeks to make ends ...

Any Suggestions On What To Do With The 6.1
Sep 13, 2010

I used to FOR YEARS and years, just hit shift H and typed in cur and it spelled </CURRENT MEDICATIONS/>  Now with this 6.1 upgrade, it spells out </CURRENT ALLERGIES/> and I am messing up big time with reports.  THIS IS ASR WORK AND YOU ARE FLYING QUICKLY THROUGH THE REPORT.  On a lot of ASR reports, I have to add the headings in.  I am so used to hitting CUR and expecting CURRENT MEDICATIONS which I have done for many years and quite frankly, I am not looking a ...

Some Suggestions.
Feb 28, 2011

You all may already know this, but I am passing it along because I just found out.  I kept running out of work on the weekend and on the backlog I could see that there were jobs in the red that I normally work on for backup but they were not flowing to me.  I called the RTL hotline and spoke to a lady there.  I told her the deal and she said that she didn't show me as being scheduled to work that day so they did not add me to that pool.  Evidently on helper pools or ...

Need To Get Out Of MT - Suggestions?
Apr 30, 2011

After having my pay cut by half over the past 9 months, I realize that I need to get out of MT and in a bad way.  I wish I had never gone to school for this. I just can no longer stand for having pay cut after pay cut every year with no end in sight.  I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on other jobs that I could do from home. I have a bachelor's degree in Psychology along with my CMT.  I have young kids with medical problems, so I need to be able to be h ...

I Need Suggestions Please
Jul 13, 2011

I stopped doing transcription last year around this time and worked for Medquist.  Now I'm trying to get back to work and have several tests to take.  My problem is that I never had to worry about a medical spellcheck with Medquist and don't have one of my own on my computer and can't afford to buy one just now.  On one test, the e-mail I received from the recruiter specified that the test doesn't have a medical spell check, so I could do the document in Word, ...

Any Suggestions?
Jul 25, 2012

I can't make money with VR and I know there has to be a way for me to work faster or something.  I type so much faster than I do editing.  Today I've worked 11 hours and have made $28, that's only 700 lines.  I normally could have typed at least 2000 lines and made my 9 cpl per day if I worked that long.  I'm going broke.  Bills aren't getting paid, and we all know there just aren't jobs out there right now, especially in your 50's.&nbs ...

Suggestions
Jul 28, 2013

I have a few suggestions for MModal.  Instead of worrying about how long the employee's fingers are off the keyboard, why don't you fix things with the system that have been wrong for months?  No, much more enjoyable for you to send out your little stats!  Oh and thanks for giving me that new account with the doctors that like to split their reports and give you no information, nor their name and they enter generic dictator!  Thanks for fixing that in a timely manne ...

What's In A Name? Suggestions?
Aug 08, 2013

Hi all! I'm an IC working for some private clinics. When I went to the bank to set up an account I did a XXX DBA XXX. Well the name I picked is okay but I've come up with what I think is a better name (one word versus XXX Medical Transcription).   What do you all think about business name changing? I've been in business for a while but it's not like I'm Wal-Mart or anything that my name is branded. Suggestion??? :)   ...

Any Suggestions
Jan 23, 2014

I will be taking a written test later this afternoon, of which answers are based on BOS3.  I do not have one :-(.  I purchased BOS2 when it was first published, but have never had to use it, so I did not purchase BOS3 when it was published, thinking it would be a waste of money for me as BOS2 was.  Is there that much difference between the two?  Do, You think I can find the answers within BOS2 if need be?  I glanced over it, and I know most of it, but it would be nice to ...