A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

learning new types of transcription - kaypow

Posted: Jul 09, 2014

Do any of the transcription companies offer unpaid internships that help you move on to new types of transcription?  I've typed radiology for 20+ years.  I also have typed neurobehavioral psychology and pain management psychology.  But acute care I've not done (except radiology inside a hospital for 8 years).  Any info would be gratefully accepted.

Not sure about the unpaid internship..... - Kiki

[ In Reply To ..]
But maybe you can just study acute care on your own? When I was a tier 2 MT (no operative reports) and wanted to move to tier 3 I just studied on my own for a short while and was able to pass the tier-up test. There's a lot of material online you can study. For example, I just googled "sample operative reports" and came up with a bunch of reports...I just read as many of them I could get my eyes on, looking up any terms I was unfamiliar with. You could do this also....maybe starting with "history and physical exam sample reports" etc.

Unpaid internship - kaypow

[ In Reply To ..]
That's a great idea. Didn't know it was available. Thanks!

You don't need an internship. I went right from - 20+ years of radiology, with some - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
various clinic work thrown in, to full-time acute care with no problem at all. The only hard part was learning all the ridiculous job specifications the MTSO had for each account.

You don't need n internship... - kaypow

[ In Reply To ..]
I have typed other things besides radiology. I typed op notes for a vet in the '80s. But hospital acute care, never. I've typed intakes for drug/alcohol; SOAP notes; neurobehavioral psychology reports; and pain management reports. I just am finding that there aren't a lot of radiology jobs out there.

You've already got a good variety of experience. - I think you"ll do just fine. ;)

[ In Reply To ..]

Helps to have had a course before taking on 90% accents - and no chance of employing phonetics. Nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Similar Messages:

I Dislike Learning Transcription Software
Feb 04, 2015

Information gets thrown at you through training, and it doesn't all absorb right away, and you don't know what you're doing for a while. i hate that feeling of not being confident working with the software. I've had jobs where all you had to do was look at a list, match it to the patient, and type. (or jobs where very little learning of sofware was involved.). I wish I had a job like that again. Added to the annoyance are the IM programs, punching webclocks, special e-mail p ...

Pathology Transcription - Difference Besides Learning The Format?
Mar 26, 2012

I have 18 years experience in acute care transcription in just about everything except "pathology transcription."  I have done a lot of ops of all kinds, oncology, neurology, cardiology, infectious disease, etc.  Is Pathology transcription that different?  I've done tumor staging, chemo protocols, just about any type of EEG, TEE, cath, radiology, etc.  The reason I'm asking is I saw a job for a "Pathology transcriptionist" and I really believe I'm qualified with my knowledge, ...

Types Of Biters
May 13, 2010

What is a type of biter that starts with a P used in a chondroplasty operatoin? ...

Ortho Types
Jan 10, 2012

Is it type 2 spondylolisthesis or type II spondylolisthesis? Thanks ...

The Types Of Jobs I See A Lot Of....
Aug 02, 2012

I make it a habit to check job boards and listings every day.  A couple of places I check a lot are Indeed and Craigslist.  (I know Craigslist jobs have to be taken with a grain of salt because some of them are scams.) This is kind of interesting to me: For some reason, I notice a lot of jobs at veterinary clinics and chiropractors' offices.   It's just curious to me.  Are these two types of businesses doing so well that they're always needing more help, or a ...

ER Work Types
Apr 24, 2013

Hi, I've been an MT for 8 years, but have never, ever typed ER reports.  My company has been very slow and I was applying for other jobs and my supervisor just told me she has another account she can add me to and it is an ER account.  I'm not sure why I never thought about it before, why ER reports don't get in the regular pool like the rest of the hospital, but was just wondering, is a strictly ER account usually good work to do?  Are they just your typical transc ...

Types Of Consolidation
Feb 23, 2015

My dictator says something that sounds like "he had some creer consolidation on his chest x-ray." Any insight? Thanks in advance. ...

Work Types, Which Get You Most LPH
May 27, 2015

Just curious. I see where many transcribers are getting 200-400 lph and I wanted to know what work types they work?  Have they had the same account for a long time.  What is the secret to getting  up to 400 lph?????   ...

Work Types
Jun 10, 2015

Here's an idea: How about if dictators are responsible for keying in the RIGHT work type instead of transcriptionists wasting time trying to figure out which one to use, or getting an audit back telling us we used the wrong one when the dictator had keyed it wrong? ...

What Types Of Forceps Are Used That Start With T?
Nov 09, 2009

what types of forceps are used that start with T?  He used closed _________ forceps??? ...

Types Of Scissors During Surgery
Feb 28, 2010

Does anyone know if there are surgical scissors called man scissors or something sounding close to that???  Thanks in advance!!! ...

Work Types Question
Aug 19, 2010

What are examples of transcription work types? ...

Capitalization Of Virus Types
May 03, 2011

ECHO virus Type 9 and Coxsackie Group A, Type 9 can produce meningitis and petechiae. Should the words "type" and "group" be capitalized? ...

AV Block, Number Types
Jan 30, 2012

I know that Mobitz type AV block is always expressed in roman numerals- but with just AV block types I, II, etc. is that also correctly expressed in roman numerals?  I always thought yes but have a coworker here saying no.  Just want to get a definitive answer.  Thanks! ...

LPH, Work Types, ESLs
Mar 10, 2012

I'd like to ask a favor please.  When people post what their LPH is, like one poster below saying 500 LPH, would you also post what work types you are working on and the percentage of ESLs.  Acute care or clinic, radiology, ER. It is not that I am doubting, but just comparing it to my work. The numbers I have seen people post are unimaginable to me if they are doing acute care with 80% ESLs and all work types and exceeding 99% accuracy.  A lot of normal templates in your ...

Types Of Diaphragmatic Hernia
Sep 27, 2013

Okay.. weird one.. the dictation says, there is a moderate sized ......... sounds like "direct site" type diaphragmatic hernia..   any clues?  the dictator is very mumbly here.. Thanks! ...

Can Anyone Tell Me Trocar Types Or Give A Website?
Jul 18, 2012

I know Hasson and Optiview but that's the extent of my knowledge.  It sounds like he is saying sashi or heshi trocar  and then another where it sounds like lastco.  Hard to understand and haven't recieved my surgical word book yet.  Just wondering if anyone could shed light on these terms now and also provide me with a site of them since I can't seem to find any references except types like blunt tip, sharp tip, etc. ...

Does Anyone Know What Types Of Questions Are Asked In Diskriter Interview?
Jan 11, 2010

. ...

Instant Text Types Out Suffixes Of Words
Mar 04, 2010

It drives me crazy (not to mention is very time consuming), but Instant Text types out suffixes of words, e.g. I type 'complaint' then realize it should be 'complaints' so I backspace and add the 's'.  It then types out 'complaintubal sterilization' (it expanded the 'ts'). This happens a lot, and I wonder if anyone knows if there is a setting I can change. Thank you in advance. ...

Are Ortho Grades And Types Roman Numerals Or Arabic
Oct 26, 2010

Are ortho grades and types Roman numerals or Arabic?  ...

Is VR Really Learning?
May 19, 2011

Seriously...  I cannot for the life of me figure out what the doc was saying at one point, but VR inserted that the patient had a "menstrual valley illness"...  Glad I never had that!    ...

VR Learning
Aug 05, 2011

In a training on EditScript today, we were told in editing a report to change the whole word that is wrong, not just change on letter, for example, if it puts sever and the word is supposed to be severe, to change the whole word, not just add the e.  The trainer said that the system learns better that way.  So my question is, and I would have asked her if I had thought of it at the time, does VR learn when we use word expansions.  Is it learning from the keystrokes we use or from ...

Learning To
May 12, 2012

Please read my message on main board about learning to tweet.  I think we could make a difference with social media. ...

Learning A New Field
Mar 03, 2010

What would be the best way to get into another field? I have been doing neurology now for about 6 years and I am very interested in getting into something else, and really this is the only field I know because I havent had practice with anything else.  Im just getting kind of bored with the neurology lingo.  If I were to apply for a job that is hiring in a different field, would they consider me a "newby"? Has anyone ever been hired for a field they have no ex ...

I Hate Learning This Way
Apr 01, 2010

I wish somebody would figure out a way to train new hires other than setting them down with only a few hours training and letting them type their entire shift without a word from anyone, only to have QA come in the next morning and correct all the reports. I hate learning this way, I do something wrong, spell something about the facility wrong, all night long only to learn the next day that it is wrong. It is such a waste of my and my QAs time to do it this way, it sucks. And heaven forbid you h ...

Learning Coding
Jan 30, 2012

Is there any coder out there who has 'self-taught' themselves and successfully passed the CCS and working?  I'm an MT whose so ready to change to coding, but keep putting it off schooling due to being financially strapped (as MT'ing just barely pays the simple bills.....nothing more).  I also think being an MT will put me at an advantage in learning coding than someone 'off the street'/no knowledge of any facet of the medical field.  Any thoughts? ...

Learning E/m Coding And....(sm)
Jun 17, 2012

I have been trying to find a downloadable/printable version of the "E and M documentatinoadn coding worksheet in aqua and gray."  Hoping someone can help me! ...

I'm Excited About Learning Something New
Sep 11, 2012

I'm getting everything together to start on a new path. I've been impressed with so many of you who have taken on a new career even though you, like me, are well out of your 30s and 40s. I am inspired by people I've met on here who are changing their lives. I've seen you say that it scares you, but you're doing it anyway. I really have to respect that. Congratulations to all of us! ...

Learning New Specialty
Nov 14, 2012

Hey I am possibly going to interview with a Cancer Institute and I have no experience in this area. I am a 7 year medical transcriptionist and had a 7 year job in a small pediatric clinic for 4 doctors. What should I do to prepare if I work here and what things should I study and bring with me to work if I get the job? ...

Learning To Dictate The RIGHT WAY?
Jun 04, 2013

I am an experienced nurse practitioner with seven years of experience. Now that I am working in an acute care environment, I am required to dictact all of my consultations. I have a template from which I am dictating. But from the results of my transcriptions, I could use some help from medical transcriptionists on how to dictate the RIGHT WAY. Of course, I was never taught how to dictate. I was taught how to use the telephone to dictate, but I was never taught the right way to dictate clearly ...