A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Pathology transcription - difference besides learning the format? - LAT

Posted: Mar 26, 2012

I have 18 years experience in acute care transcription in just about everything except "pathology transcription."  I have done a lot of ops of all kinds, oncology, neurology, cardiology, infectious disease, etc.  Is Pathology transcription that different?  I've done tumor staging, chemo protocols, just about any type of EEG, TEE, cath, radiology, etc.  The reason I'm asking is I saw a job for a "Pathology transcriptionist" and I really believe I'm qualified with my knowledge, but havent typed "pathology reports."  Can someone who has been a pathology transcriptionist tell me the difference besides learning the format?

Really not a lot of difference (sm) - Lillie

[ In Reply To ..]
With your experience you would do fine. I have 11 years experience and was asked to take over the path account after an MT left...and I had NO prior experience. The only thing is, the gross reports are very very short and if you are paid cpl, you have to be very efficient in developing shortcuts to be able to zip in and out of reports. They basically say the same thing so it is easy to make short cuts. Email me if you have further questions. I really enjoy my pathology account. but warning - during gross pathology they wear face masks due to formalin which makes for a pretty noisy background.

I agree with Lillie - AnonToo

[ In Reply To ..]
I have not done pathology straight for a long time, but it's highly doable..although short. I'm one of the freaks that PREFERS operative reports though.

Similar Messages:

Pathology Transcription - What Is The Difference?
Apr 10, 2014

Can anybody tell me how different it is typing for a pathology practice versus clinic transcription and hospital transcription? I am considering applying for a pathology transcription position. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance. ...

Learning New Types Of Transcription
Jul 09, 2014

Do any of the transcription companies offer unpaid internships that help you move on to new types of transcription?  I've typed radiology for 20+ years.  I also have typed neurobehavioral psychology and pain management psychology.  But acute care I've not done (except radiology inside a hospital for 8 years).  Any info would be gratefully accepted. ...

I Dislike Learning Transcription Software
Feb 04, 2015

Information gets thrown at you through training, and it doesn't all absorb right away, and you don't know what you're doing for a while. i hate that feeling of not being confident working with the software. I've had jobs where all you had to do was look at a list, match it to the patient, and type. (or jobs where very little learning of sofware was involved.). I wish I had a job like that again. Added to the annoyance are the IM programs, punching webclocks, special e-mail p ...

Difference In Pay For SR Vs Transcription
Mar 13, 2013

I've only done straight transcription in the past and just got hired by a company who apparently does both SR and transcription...can anyone give me info on their experiience as far as if I will make the same amount doing editing for SR as I would transcribing?  Looking at 0.04 cpl is a bit dauntiing.  I type really fast and it almost seems like I could straight transcribe a dictation at 0.08 cpl as fast as I could edit one at 0.04...just wondering about anyone else's experie ...

What Is Pathology Transcription?
Dec 21, 2010

Can anyone explain to me what do you type if you are a pathology MT?  I see many jobs asking for radiology or pathology expereince needed.  I understand what RAD is... I do not know what pathology is typing.  Please explain?  Greatly appreciated! ...

Pathology Transcription - Well Do You Like It?
Feb 06, 2012

Just wondering if anyone out there types pathology reports and, if so, how well do you like it?  Considering a position of strictly pathology dictation.  Thanks. ...

Does MM Do Pathology Transcription?
Jul 20, 2013

Thank you! ...

Pathology And Laboratory Transcription
Dec 24, 2010

I just found a local hospital advertising for a path and lab transcription job and am considering applying, but I've never done that type of transcription.  I've done numerous others, radiology, hospital, surgical, clinic, etc., but it has been a few years as lately I have been doing clinic work only.  Is pathology/laboratory transcription difficult?  I realize it's a matter of opinion and just like all other transcription would take time to adjust.  I'm g ...

Pathology And Radiology Transcription
May 23, 2011

I have been a radiology transcriptionist for about 12 years. I am presently unemployed. I have seen an ad on one of the job sites for a pathology transcriptionist with 1 year experience. My question is how different/difficult is pathology transcription. Should it be something a radiology transcriptionist can do, given I have 15 years experience but 12 in rad work. Do you think it would be something I could pick up without difficulty? Any information and input would be appreciated. I have been ou ...

Does Nuance Do Pathology Transcription?
Jul 20, 2013

Thank you! ...

Pathology Transcription - Dictation To Practice?
Nov 01, 2009

I am testing for a transcription position within a hospital, but I have never done pathology transcription before only sleep medicine & consultations. Does anyone know where I can download sample pathology dictation to practice before I have to test with them on Thursday. Any help would be appreciated! ...

Pathology Transcription - What Skills Are Needed?
Jun 29, 2010

I've been an acute care transcriptionist for 15 years... can anyone tell me if I qualify for Pathology transcription or is this an acquired skill that needs more schooling? Thanks! ...

I Want To Learn Pathology And Radiology Transcription
Jul 23, 2010

Hi, I been working full time in acute care as an IC now for 7 years and I have been noticing the only jobs for transcriptionists left in hospitals or labs is pathology, sometimes but rarely radiology.  How can I go about learning pathology.  I been in acute care my whole career, it can't be that hard to learn after typing acute care non stop for this long.  Any ideas? ...

New Pathology Transcription Job, Info Needed
Jun 28, 2013

I am about to start a new in-house path transcription job for a laboratory. I did transcription for about 6 years up until I quit last spring. My specialties then were ortho and PT, so I have no experience in pathology. The new company is well aware of this and is willing to train and be patient with me learning on the job. Even so, I am so very nervous as I know this is a whole different ballgame with terminology. They do autopsies as well. Are there sites I should read up on or dictionaries th ...

Pathology Transcription: Needing Advice On Finding A Job
Jan 27, 2015

Wondering if anyone can offer advice on where PATHOLOGY TRANSCRIPTIONIST jobs can be found - preferably one at home and would really like one that pays by the hour, but would consider one that pays by the line. Thanks for any advice that you might be able to offer. ...

Format
Jul 28, 2010

He says "was made n.p.o. and put on D5 half normal saline plus 20 of KCl at 78." Is this typed correctly? ...

Rad Format
Aug 10, 2010

Does anyone know where I could look at a rad report format online? I have AAMT Book of Style, but it does not show a format for radiology.  All of the books online you have to buy.  All I need is to know a format for a radiology report. ...

Mg And Mcg Format
Jul 28, 2014

When typing combination medications should you put the dosage abbreviation after each medicaotin..... Example:  hydrocodone 5 mg/325 mg   or    hydrocodone 5/325 mg???? Also, what if it is a medication combination that uses both mg and mcg?   Example:  75 mg/200 mcg.   I received a correction back from my boss and she had it 75/200 mg and, considering that part of the medication is mcg, i think that her correction is actually incorrect.   ...

I Don't Like The New Format Of MTStars
Oct 12, 2009

I posted about an hour ago under Gab Board.  It is not there, and it was.  Strange!!!! ...

Question Regarding Format
Sep 30, 2010

A history and physical examination report. Doctor has already dictated information for EXTREMITIES subheading, but later dictates more info for same subheading. Should I combine second set of extremity info with first set of info? Thanks! ...

Medication Format
Nov 24, 2010

I am not sure how to format this medication and I think there might be a stumble also.  Doctor says  "... 2 tabs 125 mg 2 times p.o. t.i.d."   Wonder whether I should edit out the either "2 tabs" or "2 times" as she does seem to correct herself.   Any thoughts on this would be appreciated? Thanks ...

Not Work Help, Format Help
Feb 11, 2011

In a verbatim account: "patient is into" (doc lists medications)...  Patient is into??  Very clearly said.  "there are no labs available on the chart."   (doc goes onto lists extensive lab results) Says also very clearly "this consultation was not necessary", however I am not sure if he is speaking to someone else, or if it is part of the dictation!  I hear it clear as a bell, it just seems a snippy ending comment.  I am going to type it out as I hear it, b ...

Help With Dosage Format
Oct 14, 2011

Doctor dictates: Ambien 10 mg q 9 p.m. Just making sure how the 'q 9 pm' is transcribed. Is it like this: q.9 p.m. or q.9. p.m.?? Not sure....any help would be appreciated. I am new to the job and want to make sure i do this correctly.Thanks ...

Proper Format
Dec 05, 2014

MD dictates C5-6... I usually change this to C5-C6, as it seems that is the more correct way.  Should C5-6 be used? ...

Growth Percentile Format
Dec 15, 2009

Okay........ now don't laugh at this question.   I recently had to pull up another transcriptionist's report, and came across something I've never seen before.   I couldn't find the formatting this MT used anywhere else, so I am wondering if any of you have.   I always type  "90th percentile", "56th percentile", etc. when peds are talking about growth charts.    This MT typed "90%tile", "53%tile", etc.   Is that actu ...

Correct Way To Format Autopap?
Mar 27, 2010

Anyone know the correct way to format autopap? Is it AutoPAP, AutoPap, autoPAP, etc.? I can't find this in my references and I see it many ways online. TIA! ...

Preoperative Diagnoses Format
Oct 29, 2010

I know when there are more than 1 diagnoses, you list each one separately.  How do you handle it when the dictator gives 4 separate diagnoses, then "etiology to be determined" at the end?  List everything under 1 dx, or list "etiology to be determined" as a separate dx?  Thanks. ...

Capitalization Question/Format
Nov 04, 2010

SOCIAL HISTORYHalf a pack a day smoker. Alcohol: denies. Occupation: he is on disability due to chronic knee pain and an inability to work.   Is it... Occupation: He is on disability...  OR Occupation: he is on disability...   There are several instances of this type in this report and I am not sure of the correct format.. thanks!! ...

Correct Format Of A Phrase
Mar 10, 2012

How would you correctly write " he has 3 to 4 minus out of 5 in strength in bilateral hip flexors left worse than right." ...

DSS And DS2 Format Voice Files.
Jun 14, 2012

Hi:  For those MTs using the above, what do you all use?   Thanks ...