A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

What I heard yesterday - sm

Posted: Jan 22, 2015

When I started out MT years back I transcribed for the local hospital ER docs group. I loved it, but moved on when work dwindled down. A friend works for the group of hospitals in management so I asked who was doing the ER transcription now, I wanted to apply. I was told the hospitals in this area have started using scribes and are slowly doing away with MTs altogether. The exact same thing my new GP doc told me a year ago. Not sure how much longer we are going to be around people, be prepared. I see ZERO job openings for MTs and I live near a TON of medical facilities, I can think of 6 hospitals right off the bat, and too many private practices to even count.

This certainly isn't anything we didn't - Already know (nm)

[ In Reply To ..]
Xx

Where have you been for the past few years - this is old news

[ In Reply To ..]
and this shouldn't be on the MModal board, but the main board.

Geico commercial: Everybody knows that. - This is old news.

[ In Reply To ..]
You must have been out of the loop for the last several years. It's a dying industry, and it's dying fast. Those of us still "in" are making about half of what we made a decade ago.

This made me laugh out loud! - cheated

[ In Reply To ..]
:)

scribe - katrina

[ In Reply To ..]
Doesn't make sense though, to eliminate MT when scribes have to make a decent salary too. I don't find too many scribes here in this rural area. I think the medical assistant just does the work of the scribe, along with all her other duties so no extra salary is necessary.
What I found about scribes - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
Applied for position at my ortho's office. Was dumbounded when I found what they wanted to pay. I decline to work for $10 an hour.
Scribes - No experience as an MT
[ In Reply To ..]
When I went to a physician and there was a scribe there, he literally spelled words for her. I asked her about her experience as an MT and she had none; did not use expanders, didn't even know what they were and said she labors all day completing reports that are typed word for word. The software program did not have expanders. I cannot understand the reasoning behind this either; just dictate and let an MT do it for you, having a scribe really cannot be that productive, other than less money. Again, we are being phased out, as they don't want to pay decent wages any longer, offices, hospitals and MTSO companies. It is a sad time for MTs.
agree - toximoxi
[ In Reply To ..]
Don't get why a scribe would be a better deal for them than an MT.
Cheaper wages - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
It's all about more $$$ in their pocket.
but if they're full time... - JOttS
[ In Reply To ..]
they should also be getting benefits... I would think; but $8/hr isn't even minimum wage... and another body in the office. There's been a job posted here in my town for a scribe in a busy ortho office. However, 99% of the patients are Hispanic, and they want someone who is bilingual... even though most of their patients come in with an interpreter. JOS
cheapter? - toximoxi
[ In Reply To ..]
We make min wage. How can they be paid lower than that?
Sorry for typo. Meant cheaper. nm - toximoxi
[ In Reply To ..]
They make $8/hr here and only have to be able to - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
do light basic typing and use a computer. No medical knowledge necessary. It's ridiculous. They create garbage that's dangerous for the patients since they have no idea what any of it means...

most of the doctor's offices - true stuff

[ In Reply To ..]
almost everyone i know who works in a doctor's office, there haven't been MT's for about 10 years. they all dictate into hand held gizmos that then print their notes out immediately. or else they type their notes in themselves. this has been the case for many years. i'm amazed there is a need for any of us. honestly, they don't really need spelling accuracy, they just need to get the info into the chart that is pertinent and that can be understood by other doctors and medical personnel. all this nitpicky stuff that we get dinged for, doctors usually don't give a rat's behind about.

Similar Messages:

First Day On The Job Yesterday.....
Dec 01, 2010

and I made a whopping $7/hour.  They gave me a physician that, obviously, no one wants. Lots of work on the system from him.  Grrrrrrrrrrrrr.  I still have private clients and can make $7 in about 10 minutes.  It's infuriating, but I need the extra $$....if that's what you can call it.  I also got some crazy QA corrections.  One says one thing and another person says another.  Not sure what to do about that.  In my opinion, consistency within a c ...

Took CPC Yesterday.
Dec 30, 2012

I felt confident in myself when I walked into test. Felt prepared, however  I walked out feeling dejected and not sure if I even passed.  I seriously do not know how I did.  I did well on most sections, but I took the advice of other past testers... skipped over the more challenging scenario/questions (And I am glad I did, as I would not have answered the easier ones at the end of the test booklet had I spent time on the harder ones) My plan was to go ...

Yesterday Was My Last Day....
Aug 09, 2013

Yes, I gave a 2 week notice.  I didn't work a lot during those 2 weeks because my primary account was low, or out, of work and it just didn't feel right to take jobs away from someone else on my team. I have to say this......my team lead, my prior team lead, and their manager were very good to me.  I realize that they have higher managers too and they are required to follow the rules that are put upon them.  There lies the problem.  The higher ups.  I've ...

Anyone Else Not Get Paid Yesterday?
Nov 26, 2009

This is the 3rd time in 6 months that my check has been late..... ...

OT Was Offered Yesterday
May 18, 2010

x ...

Did Anyone Get Downtime For Yesterday?
Apr 01, 2011

Just curious if MQ is going to try to ignore yesterday's DocQscribe crash.  My CCM is on vacation so I just put an alert on my timecard.  The RTL told me that it was not an alert and deleted my note.  So downtime or not?  I guess I will just be short this week because I am not making up hours or taking PTO when their stupid system crashes and MQ refuses to own up to it.  Thats what they get for having us all upgrade at the same time.  ...

100% Editing Yesterday
Aug 17, 2011

Not one (1) typed report yesterday all day.  Then got an audit back with a low score, very, very picky.  A couple of careless things, my fault, trying to get in enough editing lines to make a living and rushing.  Guess I need to slow down even more....  Thinking about looking into a receptionist position at a doctor's office near me.  I figure with my age and number of years I have just been doing MT I might not be employable in the outside world, but will give it a ...

Again, DQS Sluggish Like Yesterday. (sm)
Jun 12, 2012

Yesterday, my downtime started with an ADT lookup for an attending when it said "database not available" and today, it's doing the same dang thing, just started about 3 minutes ago. Is this happening to anyone else? I hesitate to keep working because yesterday, I never got the job back that I was in the middle of when it crashed. Argh! ...

Gah! In The ER Yesterday Morning..
Jan 23, 2015

I was a patient in a local ER yesterday and had the nicest British physician.  I was directly across from central and was able to hear this physician dictate.  Clear, concise, perfect speed, a dream to transcribe.  The downside is the hospital uses Epic only - no editing by human hands (and ears) at all.  Why oh why can't us humans have dictators like this? ...

Again... OOW Due To OT Offered Yesterday
Jan 27, 2015

We were out of TAT once last week and since then if there are more than 2 (well maybe I am exaggerating here) jobs in the pools they open up OT.  Everyone needs to make money, so of course many of us come in and work.  Understandable.  But TSMs need to cut it off at some point so we don't wind up with nothing in the morning and slow, slow, slow to build up during the day once it is cleaned out at night.  They want you to come back in early afternoon and make up ...

Got My W2 Yesterday In The Mail
Jan 29, 2015

Filing this weekend.  Sure hope I get a nice refund.  Lord knows I could use it. ...

Yesterday My Husband's Hours Were Cut...
Dec 18, 2009

by 5 hours a week, and because he's a supervisor, his salary will be cut by 3%.  Probably more cuts in the next few months.  I know it's not much, but it's scary.  We can't afford it (we're barely making it now), but we'll manage.  I've already taken a second part-time job to supplement my FT at MQ and am looking for another full-time job - that's not MT related. The company he works for is over 100 years old and has never had lay ...

Follow-up On QA Submission Yesterday
Oct 27, 2010

On the 3 horrible reports that I had to submit to QA yesterday because of the 3-blank rule, thus losing 3 cpl probably, QA had no more luck filling in the blanks than I and sent them through with 5-10 blanks.  That makes me so mad -- not at QA, just in general that I get penalized financially when it was the DOCTOR'S FAULT AND THE PICKY FACILITY'S "RULE."  ...

Do We Approve Our Timesheets From Yesterday?
Dec 16, 2010

I am totally confused about our new pay schedule for this month and when pay periods end and start again.  Instruction from CCM would be handy, but of course she is off and left with no word, so I will turn to the smartest people I know once again.  ...

Had The Strangest Email Yesterday (sm)
Mar 14, 2011

I have recently completed the form on MTstars under the job wanted board but did not upload my resume, thankfully.  Yesterday morning I received an email from somone named "Sandie" stating that she was about to start testing for an upcoming acute care account, that she was very busy and did not want to waste either of our time, but if I was interested in testing to email her and she would send me benefit information and 2 voice files to transcribe.  I immediately replied to her and hav ...

MT Stars - Did Anyone Else Have A Problem Getting On Here Yesterday Besides Me?
Apr 11, 2011

nm ...

I Got A Good Laugh Yesterday
Nov 09, 2011

I got an e-mail encouraging me to test on-line for MQ and submit my resume and they would be anxiously awaiting it and monitoring their system for it to come through so that they could promptly contact me about a position.  I do have a lot of experience in all work types, lots of ESL experience, and my QA reviews have been high, so I know I would be an asset.  I also know from posts over the years that MQ has some huge issues, and I don't see that getting any better. I got an e-m ...

Another Ad On This Site Posted Yesterday
Mar 28, 2012

There is another ad stating they supply equipment, posted yesterday. No way would I be spending money to upgrade my Word software or memory if they are still advertising they provide equipment. Just click on the job seekers board and you'll see. Last week they may have run out of equipment for the "30 positions", but what about this week? I would be asking them about that before I spend my money. ...

I Am Curious How Many Actually Did Strike Yesterday
May 02, 2012

I know it is not just the MTs, but I went to WM yesterday (yes I do hate WM, but no choice here in the middle of nowhere) and it was packed!!  Everyone was going about their normal daily routine it looked like. ...

I Got Paid For Downtime Yesterday
Jun 20, 2012

Definitely go above your CCM's head if you don't get paid for being down yesterday.  ...

To The Person Who Quit Yesterday
Jul 10, 2012

Just curious if you heard from them?? ...

Gave Notice Yesterday...
Aug 14, 2012

My employers response?  Crickets...nada...nothing.  Not even an acknowledgement that I was leaving.  Seems strange, don't you think?     ...

Did Not Receive My Check Yesterday
Sep 08, 2012

Did not receive my check yesterday; thought for sure it would be in today's mail, but no.  Anyone else? ...

JP: A Million Thanks For Standing Up For Us Yesterday
Dec 14, 2012

Yes! ...

Was Yesterday A Nuance Holiday?
Oct 15, 2013

. ...

Went To My Dentist Yesterday And He Told Me Quite
Apr 17, 2014

I really do not care if he does, I don't care for that particular type of speciality in the first place. I have done acute care for years. I do not like to transcribe or edit dental and wanted to ask, do others like the dental dictations? Being as I very seldom do, not familiar with the terminology like my other reports. ...

Do We Get Paid For Yesterday's Downtime
Jul 14, 2014

x ...

Yesterday's Fluency Problems
Dec 15, 2014

Did anyone get a master ticket on the Fluency outage yesterday?  I have yet to hear from anyone on it.  I lost about 20 minutes yesterday. ...

TTS Work Today And Yesterday
Feb 16, 2015

Yesterday  (Sunday) was slow, only having work for half my shift,  but today was nothing on hospital accounts in Rhode Island.  I got NO jobs all day today.  Anyone else? ...

I Turned In My Notice Yesterday
Feb 19, 2015

I just have to get through to next Friday.  I don't have anything I going to yet, but could not do this any longer as my blood pressure is extremely high.   I wish all of you who decide to stay in the torture chamber a while longer good luck.  ...