A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

How can you tell if an MTSO pays "insured wages" without directly sm - yochana

Posted: Jun 12, 2010

asking them.  This is for unemployment reasons.  Also, when an MT works in another state, which state pays hte unemployment - the state where she lives or works?

See message - Khee-bord Wizard

[ In Reply To ..]

I hope I understood your question correctly. 

If you are an Employee, you can file for Unemployment Benefits in the State where you reside (not in the State where the MTSO has its headquarters).  All wages paid to EMPLOYEES are “insured wages.” 

If you are an Independent Contractor or Statutory Employee, you are not eligible to receive Unemployment Benefits. 

The best way to get Unemployment is to be laid off – very little the company can do to prevent you from receiving Unemployment Benefits if they lay you off.  If you are fired, the company can claim that you were discharged for cause, which may delay your Unemployment Benefits.  If you quit, you can still file for Unemployment Benefits, but the company will definitely file an objection.  This will not only delay getting any Unemployment Benefits, but you may not get them at all after waiting for weeks while they process your claim.  Some States will pay Unemployment Benefits to people who quit under certain circumstances, such as the company not providing the amount of work you were hired for or for making forced unreasonable job duty changes (including change in hours, days, etc).

It really all depends on the State you live in.  Some States (California for one) are very generous with their Unemployment Benefits.  You can quit your job and still have a good chance of getting Unemployment Benefits.  Other States make it next to impossible to get any Unemployment Benefits unless you are laid off.  Even if you are fired, it is a battle to get anything and can take a long time. 

Also, each State has different requirements.  All States require companies with a certain number of Employees to pay into the Unemployment Insurance Fund.  These are the “insured wages” you are inquiring about. 

Asking your State Unemployment Office would give you accurate information.  You may be able to e-mail them (I know getting through by phone in almost all States is a pain now).  They may also have answers to your exact questions on their Website FAQ.  I am sure others have had those same questions. 

A lot of people do not know how employers are charged Unemployment.  For those who do not, here is how it works. 

Unemployment is paid by the State government. Employers pay into a fund based upon the number of employees they have. The State government collects the money paid in and puts it into a trust fund. Unemployment benefits are then paid out from the trust fund. The amount of money (unemployment insurance premiums) an employer pays is based upon their history of payouts. A company that has high numbers of payout will pay more per employee then will a company who fires or lays no one off  (like auto insurance - a person with more accidents on their history pays higher premiums then a driver with a clean record).  This can range from 0% to 6% of taxable payroll. They also have to pay an Administrative Tax to the State, who has to keep track of the UC Claim and print out the check, etc.  This is also a percentage. It gets pretty complicated after that. 

That is why employers fight every new Unemployment claim. 

Hope this helps. 

Good Luck. 

Thank you very very much for the info. It really helped - yochana

[ In Reply To ..]
nn

Similar Messages:

Has Anyone Sued An MTSO In A Different State For Unpaid Wages? Sm
Apr 17, 2013

I just briefly scanned through the small claim filing rules for here in Colorado, and it looks like I would have to file a claim in her state (Texas). I just wondered if anyone else had done this and if it was worth it. I am an IC and after months and months of never being paid on time, I was smart enough not to work much and so she only owes me a little over $300, but I hate to let her get by with stealing even that much from me. TIA ...

Radiology MT Looking For MTSO That Pays Per Minute Or Report
Feb 14, 2011

Can anyone tell me any companies that pay you per report or per minute?  The company I work for now used to pay per report, but switched me to per line, and I am making "squat".  I have a PT that pays per report, but they don't have anymore hours.  I need another job, preferably FT.  Thanksfor any help guys!  ...

Working Directly On EMS System (sm)
Mar 09, 2014

I'm seeing a few ads for transcriptionists/editors to work directly on the facilities EMS system.  I'm wondering if this might be a new trend. It's all about saving money and turnaround.  When it comes to transcription, I think the MT working directly for the client was the most cost effective.  VR failed as they realized a brain was needed to do the necessary editing & formatting.  The MTSO takeover reduced us to slave wages, but they are probably still c ...

Has Anyone Ever Called The IRS Directly To Get Help Filling Out A Form
Apr 03, 2012

This is now my third day trying to fill out form 4562.  Since it's just a computer I bought you would think it would be easy.  No, I have to fill out a worksheet, read some pub, enter the figure from line 29 (which I'm only on line 7, but I can't complete line 29 because I haven't completed line first part of the form).  Line 1 I enter the real property, line 4 I enter the real property put in place (which evidently my understanding are two different things, ot ...

MODERATOR: How Do We Reply Directly Onder A Post?
May 16, 2010

A lot of times, I have replied under a post just to have it go to the 'bottom' of the posts. We used to be able to post directly under the OP and it woulod show up there. Lately, it goes under the totally last posting if there are other posters commenting to each other.  if i hit post reply under the OP, it still shows up as the last reply. It never used to be that way. I'm also getting a message that my email address is not in the proper format...yet it is. What's ...

Transcribing Directly Into Electronic Medical Records
Oct 24, 2011

Anyone out there transcribing directly into EMR?  I'm wondering about using text expanders in EMR and, how are you counting lines in EMR?  Or do you know of anywhere that addresses these issues?  Thanks! ...

Low Wages
Jul 21, 2010

Isn't it amazing how the cpl never seems to rise for transcriptionists?  Have these companies ever heard of cost of living?  This is pretty pathetic.  It has been 7 to 8 cpl of twenty years! ...

MT Wages
Dec 07, 2012

I want to congratulate everyone who posts on this site telling it like it is about the way these MT companies are destroying what once was a profession where you could make a decent living and actually enjoyed your job. I've been doing this for 30 years and I am still hanging on because I do not know what else to do at my age. I can barely pay my bills with what they are paying me and I am working full time. I am 68 years old and I really am not too excited about going back to school or sta ...

Wages?
Oct 31, 2013

I've taken the tests and have been offered a job with Nuance but want to know if the wage offered was the standard wage for Nuance.  I was offered 8 cpl for straight trasncription and 4 cpl for editing.  This would be for clinics only.  I've heard acute care paid more, but I've only ever had clinic experience.  Do they ever offer raises?  They mentioned a bonus program, and I've seen notes on here about people saying they have had problems getting th ...

AP - Wages
Jun 04, 2015

How many are aware of the wage disparity between different accounts (they don't find it necessary to tell us such a silly detail as the hourly wage, you have to look it up online).  With the new accounts, some pay quite low (as low as MB that no one wants to work on) and it may be a shock for those working on those accounts when they get their paychecks! Is it right of them to ask/require us to help out?  My feeling is  it is costing me to work on those accounts, as it lowers ...

Where Your Lost MQ Wages Are Going
Aug 27, 2010

From an article written 2 days ago regarding MQ's settlement of a lawsuit filed by Kaiser against Medquist (which MQ settled for 2 million, by the way):   The company reported net revenues for the three months ended June 30, 2010 as increasing $20.1 million or 25.9 percent to $97.5 million compared to $77.5 million for the three months ended June 30, 2009. ...

Fair Wages
Feb 18, 2011

I think a fair wage should be in relation to the economy, that which allows you to meet your baseline financial needs without having to work a second job or long hours.  I worked for a service back in the early 80s for 6.5 cents per line.  Today, nearly 30 years later, they're offering 7.5 cents per line, yet costs are sky-high.   It's pathetic.  It's sweatshop third world.  It's true, we're stuck with the way things are, but ...

WAGES-other Questions
Feb 27, 2011

I have been an MT for over 10 years for a hosital.  I am considering working for Medquist.  I currently make 19 per hour but my job is going away. I know   I can produce about 1700 lines per day mostly ISR work. Questions: How much does MQ pay per line for ISR (voice recognition) reports. Also what is the minimum work they require (lines per day). Do they pay PTO for part time? Do you get any incentives for weekend work?   How often do you run out of work? How m ...

No Raises In MT Wages
May 10, 2011

Is anyone else fed up with the fact that the wages for MTs never go up?  It has been the same low rate for years!  ...

Wages Owed - Help Me Out Here
Mar 10, 2012

I've got the form to file a complaint re:  Not getting paid for research, verifying patient name, cruddy dictators who shouldn't be in VR/ASR, etc. The person filing the complaint has to figure out how much the employer owes - any suggestions, or examples?  Say, for over a year's time? My example would be:  It takes 8 minutes to go through all my emails (a requirement of my job) weekly (yes, I timed myself) - so that's 8 x 4 = 32 minutes a month JUST for emai ...

Pathetic Wages
Mar 17, 2012

Does anyone else feel this way, work hard, trying to do a good job, need to pay the bills, need the insurance and end up with $80 for a full day's work and that is sometimes on a good day but $10.00 per hour seems to be on average what I get, after looking up docs, looking up meds, relistening to blanks, relistening to diagnosis, trying to understand lab values and yada, yada, yada.  Everyday becomes a marathon just to make $10 bucks an hour - haven't earned so little for man ...

Comparative Wages
Nov 07, 2012

Learned from my son yesterday that babysitters in Boulder, CO get $15/hour.  Do you think they have more training and experience than we do? ...

Unemployment Wages
Nov 18, 2013

If you are a production employee, employee status, do youl qualify for unemployment benefits (Nuance, formerly Accentus, formerly Zylomed)? ...

Wages And Compensation
Aug 07, 2014

I came into this field long after the precedent was set on pay.  I knew coming into this that the average wage ran from 6 cpl to 10 cpl, with most jobs hovering around 7 to 8 cpl.  What I didn't account for was that in more than 10 or 15 years, we'd still be at that rate.  Not only has our wage not gone up in over a decade, even with cost of living increases, but that when they came out with speech recognition, someone thought, "Well, it's doing half the work, so y ...

TTS Ridiculous Wages
Feb 19, 2015

It kinda looks like TTS can't get anyone to work for them with their ridiculous wages.  You'd think they would have figured it out by now.  ...

W2 Pays
Jun 07, 2010

If you work for spheris and do both piece rate and speech recognition do you get seperate pays for each and w2s? ...

Who Pays 5 Or 6 Cpl For VR/SR?
Oct 20, 2010

I keep reading posts about companies that pay 5 or 6 cpl for VR but where are these companies posting their job ads?  I have 13 years of experience as an MT and my hands are sore and ache with all of the straight typing.  I would love to make 5 or 6 cpl for VR not 3 or 4 cpl for VR!!!!!!  Email me the names of these companies if your afraid to put them on the board, I don't mind !  ...

TTD Pays Only 0.03 For VR?! What?!
Jul 05, 2012

So if they have horrible accounts and you can edit only 250 lines an hour then you're making $7.50 an hour? Or even 300 lines an hour then you're making 9 bucks an hour?  Is this a joke?! ...

Question About Garnishment Of Wages
Nov 10, 2009

I just recently found out that my wages are being garnished.  I knew it was coming and I decided maybe it wasn't a bad idea in order to pay back this debt.  The problem is they are taking 20% of my disposable income which is a considerable amount!  I am a single mom with two kids and 20% is simply too much and doesn't leave us much to live on.  I did my research and found that in the state of Missouri if you are head of household and the only income, a creditor can ...

Those Owed Wages By DIT Please Read!!!
Jul 10, 2010

I worked for DIT from 01/10 through 03/10.  I quit when I didn't receive my first paycheck on time.  At this point DIT still owes me $278.  From the other posts I've seen, it looks like DIT Transcription has been doing this to their MTs for a couple of years now.  They just brought on a bunch of new clinics, yet my final paycheck from them bounced.  To add insult to injury, my bank charged ME an NSF fee.   Both the South Carolina Labor Board and State of ...

Followup To Fair Wages
Feb 18, 2011

Serious question: Why do you stay? ...

ATSI Nonpayment Of Wages
Aug 13, 2011

This is just a warning message to hopefully prevent other MTs from going through my experience.  ATSI still owes me three paychecks, which were repeatedly promised to be paid day after day, week after week, then we were informed they legally had to pay by August the 8th.  Most of us have still not been paid.  I just learned that David Shepherd and his wife, Terry, also control M T World.  I am now employed elsewhere, but it will take months to undo the damage this company did ...

Low Wages Being Offered By So Many MTSOs
Jul 04, 2012

As a seasoned medical transcriptionist with over 30 years of experience, I can no longer contain my irritation with the low wages being offered by so many MTSOs.  Therefore, rather than apply for the low-wage positions, I am e-mailing these companies and letting them know how insulting their wages are and what an asset I would be to their company, but refuse to accept these low wages. Some of you may not agree, but this is my form of protesting what has become of the medical transcription p ...

Companies Deducting From Your Wages
Aug 13, 2012

On the Company board, someone commented that Global Information Systems is deducting $5.00 per error.  THIS IS WRONG and it DOES make your company irreputable.  Another person commented their company was reputable and does the same thing.  In what world is it sensible to say a company is reputable and then cite how they behave illegally? This link fills you in.  Your company can't deduct your wages unless you signed an agreement saying they could.  And if you did t ...

Unpaid Insurance And Wages.
Aug 24, 2012

What would you think if you went to make a dental appt and were told you had no coverage due to non-payment by your employer and the insurance company cancelled you, but..... the premiums are still being taken out.  Or if you did not get your paycheck last payday or were $$$ short? ...