A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Got last Advance mag today. Another one bites the dust. - Steady Eddie

Posted: Apr 15, 2010

There is an article about the future of MT profession, which I didn't read yet.   I am almost afraid to. 

Do tell! - mrs.krabs

[ In Reply To ..]
NM

If you do finally read it will you please share? - Thank you

[ In Reply To ..]
Please let us know the general idea of the article - supportive? Depressing? etc.

Thanks!

Link inside - be sure to zoom for better viewing. - Can be found on line 2

[ In Reply To ..]
http://health-information.advanceweb.com/ebook/magazine.aspx?EBK=HI041210#/10/

Thank you! - MTPockets

[ In Reply To ..]
A little hard to read as the screen keeps moving around, but it is worth hanging in there for.

Thanks so much for the link. I appreciate it!

it depends - steady eddie

[ In Reply To ..]
Of the six-member panel asked questions, two were MTs and 4 were CEOs of MTSOs that get a bad rap here. Who are you going to believe? Generally, the consensus is that VR is inevitable and here to stay. However, it needs the eye of a warm-blooded human to get it all straight. So, we should all think of straight transcription going the way of the horse and buggy and try to embrace VR as the new norm.

Which means the MTs with the best skills have more options - Nothing New or Shocking There

[ In Reply To ..]
Nothing we don't already know. If you can do the widest range of work and don't mind changing, you're probably going to be okay. I already know a couple of people I used to think were pretty good MTs, but they are not going to survive in the new MT environment because they know how everything is supposed to be and everybody else is always wrong. Stubborn is not a strong enough word. They've always done it this way and no employer is going to make them put that hyphen in there where it doesn't belong. Really! Plus, the idea of working with VR sends them into orbit. They are losing their jobs, not because they couldn't do them, but they aren't willing to do what it takes to step into the future. As for me, I don't like to do new things either, and I've gone kicking and screaming into some of the changes, but my work is better when I stop griping and just realize that we're all about change. People who can (and will) change are going to have the jobs. I plan to be one of them.
It also means those MTs with the best skills get to choose the best employers - and the worst employers lose
[ In Reply To ..]
In the long view of things when those MTs with the best skills, the ones who are willing and able to adapt to the new technology, etc., they are going to get to pick and choose their own jobs. The rotten employers are going to get the ones who won't keep up. Those rotten employers are going down over time. Of course they are going to take down with them those MTs who refuse to keep up with the times, won't they?!

Why didn't the companies invest that money in the MTs? - Instead of machines that WILL fail

[ In Reply To ..]
VSR will never work. They are trying everything by hook and by crook to get it to do so, but having worked on it for many years, I can tell you that it will never work. It is a big expensive experiment.

Why did the MTSOs invest in the MTs instead of looking for more ways to take money out of our pockets?
I've stopped wasting my energy on 'what if's' and 'could (should) haves - No Victim Here
[ In Reply To ..]
Can't change what has happened. I agree with much of your argument, but it's a wasted argument. What's done is done. The most important thing is, how we get to be part of the future. Not just a few people are doing well as speech recognition editors. I know that it's a different skill and not everybody wants to do it, but might as well embrace the future. I don't intend to be a victim. I hope you won't either.

MT and VR - pip

[ In Reply To ..]
At least someone on there acknowledged that paid line rates are going to go down the more we move into VR, but then the usual BS line about how this will help us work more efficiently and actually make more money. Sorry, but 90% of MTs on here disagree from first-hand experience.
I doubt that 90% of the MTs on here agree about anything - Not buying your statistics
[ In Reply To ..]
I used to be completely anti-VR, but now I know that it is possible to make more money using it than on straight MT.

Half the time those journal articles are wrong - and a joke the other half

[ In Reply To ..]
I don't believe much that I read in those journals, but I read them anyway. I used to get all upset because they obviously know what they're talking about, right? Wrong! They may accidentally get something right occasionally, but there is nothing there I would take to the bank.

We all know technology is changing. We also know that we either upgrade or we'll be obsolete. That's the bottom line. The people who really 'get it' are the ones who are busy making sure they can do all transcription, acute and clinic, the Basic 4, and aren't afraid to become experts at speech recognition editing. Anything more that you read in these articles is pure conjecture.

Similar Messages:

Another One Bites The Dust...let Go Today
Aug 17, 2013

PT. Ccm said all PTers being let go due to lack of work. I could tell that she knew that I knew the reason WHY there was a lack of work--offshoring to india. I was at top of tier level btw. Good riddance MM. You saved me from having to quit, which I planned on doing very soon as I was sick of working for such a sh____, greedy, unethical company. ...

Another One Bites The Dust....
May 18, 2012

U.S. Transcription caves to M*Muddle.  Nowhere to run, nowhere to hide.  Say it ain't so Joe. ...

Another One Bites The Dust - SS
Mar 12, 2013

Comments?? ...

Another One Bites The Dust.
Oct 21, 2014

Received call from TSM (or whatever they are called now) yesterday that she will be done as of November 18th.  MModal is doing away with too many good ones.  Don't understand their thinking, we will be merged with another BOB, another quality coach will be added, and a scheduling person.  Why not leave it alone!  She mentioned all the good things that will come of this, all I see is bad.  I tried to be optimistic before, but after hearing this, I am not right in the ...

Another One Bites The Dust
Jan 05, 2015

Well just got word that the physical therapy company I work in house for is going point and click.  Inevitable I know.  We have about a month/month and a half.  They are keeping one of us to work the system, make sure everything is correct in it, etc.  So I'm going to start pounding the pavement.  I am thinking of looking for PT front desk work.  Wish me luck. ...

My Return To MQ Bites The Dust
Sep 29, 2011

Several years ago, after working for MQ for a few years, I gave up on them - it was right around the time they introduced the whole cesspool thing and all my work disappeared.  Then, I began working elsewhere and guess what, same boring story, the work dried up.  So, with painful reluctance I came back to MQ and these last few weeks has been one heart-wrenching day after the next.  There's either no work, or I get another hospital with completely different CP instructions or ...

Another WMXer Bites The Dust.
Mar 23, 2012

TE is leaving. ...

So The Incentive Plan Bites The Dust. Now What?
Mar 15, 2010

I guess what it's saying is that we will get raises instead, based on how we did in Jan/Feb?  Oh you mean the two months that I had little to NO WORK?  How do we know if we're getting a raise anyway?  Is the Raise Fairy going to hit us with a wand and tell us? ...

Another Production Coordinator Bites The Dust At Keystrokes!
Mar 21, 2011

nm ...

Another One Bites The Dust - Accentus Acquired By Nuance.
Nov 20, 2012

to really get out of this field.     sigh ...... ...

Another One Bit The Dust
Mar 02, 2011

Are there any companies that are offering transcription only jobs that are descent.  I was full time at home and now am struggling with VR, etc. ...

What Is The Best Way To Get Some Bites On A Job. Nm
Jul 12, 2014

nm ...

Three Of My Accounts Bit The Dust!
Aug 30, 2010

So, I had work. No problems.  Then, a few months ago, the work started coming in slowly.  Then, I started receiving NO JOBS AVAILABLE here and there.  Then, the NO JOBS AVAILABLE started being constant, even at 11PM and 2AM.  Knew something was going on.  Found out 3 of my accounts are gone.  Went to India.  I was worried about my manager and what would happen to him and the rest of the MT's working on the other accounts, but comes to find out, the manage ...

Transcend Bites!
Jun 02, 2010

Why do you continue to paint yourselves in such a negative light?  So that the owner can get her jollies by coming here to see how many lives she has ruined today and try to bait that poor MT into a debate online?  You people have NO CLASS.  I have never worked for Transcend nor would I ever after what I have been reading on these boards the past couple of months. I hope you go out of business.  That is the least you deserve.  You are the worst of the worse out there.&n ...

FIESA Bites The Big One
Jan 02, 2014

Need I say more?  ...

How Much In Advance Do We Need To Put In For PTO?
Mar 04, 2012

x ...

Advance MT, New Jersey
Jan 24, 2011

Any recent info on this company would be appreciates, pros and cons, Thanks. ...

What In The World Is He Saying? Thanks In Advance!
May 12, 2011

This doctor is going way too fast. Even when we slow him down, he is going sooooo fast. Here is the sentence we have been stuck on! The patient ___ sedation to the right. The abdomen is prepped Beta and scrubbed Beta solution and draped in usual fashion. Same doctor, same dictation: The area was checked for hemostasis, closed with 3-0 Vicryl of the subcutaneous tissue and 4-0 Vicryl ___ skin and steri-strips. Please and thank you SO very much! ...

Is It Possible To Advance In This Company?
Feb 28, 2012

Any potential at all? Anyone know? I'm already an MME, wondering if there's another direction I can go. ...

Apologies To QA In Advance.
Oct 25, 2013

Lots of blanks today. Getting reports from an account I hate. Doctors aren't entering ADT information correctly. Doctors aren't caring a bit whether they are hard to understand or hear. Horrible ASR output. And 4 cents a line just isn't worth the extra effort, especially as my count is barely making minimum today because of the reasons above. My patience and tolerance is gone. I will be so glad when I am out of here! ...

Any Info On Advance Transcription?
Dec 28, 2009

nm ...

Apologies To QC People In Advance
Dec 11, 2014

I know you are just doing your job and that you too are being monitored and held to Nuisance's guidelines.  I know it is nothing personal, but you have to understand it is only human nature when we see a post audit ding and see your name and a string of hateful words and thoughts spill forth.  We are going to contest things like crazy and cuss like crazy.  Nuisance has it set up this way and they are basically pitting MLS against QC/QA.  Again, I know you are just doing ...

Any Opinions On SoftScript! Thanks In Advance For Any Info..nm
Oct 15, 2009

nm ...

ADVANCE 2013 Salary Survey
Oct 17, 2013

The ADVANCE Salary Survey is available to participate in and includes asking salary information about medical transcriptionists. Link is below to participate.   ...

Anyone Heard Of Advance Technological Radiology?
Nov 08, 2013

Has anyone heard of Advance Technological Radiology? Rad approached me and the rad group is behind several hundred reports. Each time I am sent voice files to download for testing, it never works. Any other transcribers? Any office manager? Is company good? Bad? ...

Advance Magazine 2009 Salary Survey
Dec 17, 2009

It contains some very interesting information and is well worth the read. Just for instance, approximately 35% of MT respondents reported earning $35K or above. and 23.8% report $0 to 20K. Home workers across the board reportedly made slightly more than facility workers. Worth noting is wage levels for coders and cancer registrars since our field may well evolve to include both coding and data abstraction duties, as well as the issue of credentialing. (BTW, my company, ...

Possibly Moving To AZ. Any Advice For Work Out There? Thanks In Advance. Nm
Apr 21, 2010

xx ...

Advance Technological Radiology In Florida A Scam?
Oct 26, 2010

Anyone know if the new job posted for Advance Technological Radiology in Florida a scam?  I can't find any information on search for them!  Thanks. ...

How Long In Advance Do We Need To Request Pto For Major Holidays?
Mar 18, 2011

I can find a lot on PTO rules, etc., but not that.  thanks ...

Relation Between Offer For Tier III's To Advance To MME - Avoid Being Laid Off???
Apr 06, 2013

Remember the email we got from Corporate waiving the 90-day wait period to apply for advancement of Tier III's to MME and allowing til April 30 to do it?  With all the lay offs going on, anyone think a bigger axe will fall once May 1 rolls around and the Tier III's that did not do this will be let go?  From the way things look with all the lay offs, maybe this is one way to hang onto our jobs.  Thoughts anyone? ...