A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Three of my accounts bit the dust! - Gone!

Posted: Aug 30, 2010

So, I had work. No problems.  Then, a few months ago, the work started coming in slowly.  Then, I started receiving NO JOBS AVAILABLE here and there.  Then, the NO JOBS AVAILABLE started being constant, even at 11PM and 2AM.  Knew something was going on. 

Found out 3 of my accounts are gone.  Went to India.  I was worried about my manager and what would happen to him and the rest of the MT's working on the other accounts, but comes to find out, the manager still overseas the accounts that are sent to India.  He just works with the manager and the MT's in India doing MY ACCOUNT.  Some of the United States MT's in my group still get to work on the other accounts which is their primary and also STAT reports on MY ACCOUNT.  In the meantime, I am waiting to find out what my fate will be and where I wil be placed.  So far, I am out of work or doing a few reports on helper pools.

It sounds like basically MQ goes to the clients and say, "So, do you want a United States MT to do your account and we will charge you 12 cents a line (or whatever they charge), or do you want an India MT to do your account and we will charge you 5 cents a line, TAKE YOUR PICK!" 

I am seeing a lot on this board with NO JOBS AVAILABLE.  I am pretty sure it is because the accounts are getting ready to go to India.  I also remember the clients/accounts/contracts are probably up for renewal in the fall.  

It tells me that 80% of the work is being offshored which means about 80% MT's in each group will be running out of work, although it depends on the accounts in each BOB as some accounts like the movie star hospital will not offshore.   

It is going to get worse. More than a fifth - of 5,000 hospitals drowning in debt.

[ In Reply To ..]
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/08/30/cash-poor-local-governments-ditching-public-hospitals/

Faced with mounting debt and looming costs from the new federal health-care law, many local governments are leaving the hospital business, shedding public facilities that can be the caregiver of last resort.

More than a fifth of the nation's 5,000 hospitals are owned by governments and many are drowning in debt caused by rising health-care costs, a spike in uninsured patients, cuts in Medicare and Medicaid and payments on construction bonds sold in fatter times.

MQ may be sabotaging accounts that dont want ILPs - NJA Queen

[ In Reply To ..]
Here is what I know: My primary refuses ILPs (even from Canada) but their contract is up. We always had work, but then come the MQ Manangment Shuffle in June and then slow to no work. WTH? I have heard every excuse in the book except the truth which is the contract is up and the account is probably trying out a secondary MTSO and getting ready to switch. The server at the account gets a lot of blame and it seems to me that MQ is purposely not helping to fix the server or wanting us to get slammed with work so it goes out of turn. It is my conspiracy theory that MQ doesn't want this account because it doesn't want ILPs and therefore doesn't care if we are overstaffed, understaffed, not staffed at all because they are focusing on other accounts.

WOW! Never thought of that. - It makes sense! No message below.

[ In Reply To ..]
x

you may be on to something - pushingdapedal

[ In Reply To ..]
For several months, my primary's work volume has been bizarre - sudden drops (like 120 jobs disappear in a few minutes) and sometimes sudden jumps. There has been no work on weekends when I normally work and I am scrambling now to get my lines in. I wonder if they are "testing the waters" with another company. We have almost lost this account twice in the 3 years since I have been on it, so I would not be surprised. Time to get a backup plan in place . . .

I have been noticing strange patterns also - - will be typing from the

[ In Reply To ..]
day before and then poof, NJA. There were just some jobs laying around from 24 hours before and then nothing? Always op notes and discharge summaries. Guess the Indians get behind?

I've mentioned this before at least twice - L&L

[ In Reply To ..]
When people are getting NJA but there are jobs in the system, I have long suspected MQ of trying to force hospitals who won't take ILPs to do so by making them think there aren't enough US MTs to do the work by going out of TAT.

I think theyre just trying to starve out the American - MT. Easier than firing us.

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm holding out as long as I can til they HAVE to fire me. I want my hard-earned unemployment bennies!

what does ILP stand for? - n/m

[ In Reply To ..]
n/m
International labor partner, our Indian counterpart...nm - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
x
More an ENEMY than a counterpart... - n/msg
[ In Reply To ..]
not OUR partner, the employer's - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
Saving them a LOT of money but giving us the shaft. :(

I doubt they give much of a break of offshore labor - IMANMT2

[ In Reply To ..]
I worked for a hospital who outsourced to MQ (before they were MQ) and later worked for Secrephone and quit when they were transitioning to Medquist, excuse me, was fired. I was going to school, they knew it when they hired me. It was all positivity until I'd get home from school and the work pool would be empty. Decisions, decisions, skip chemistry to work or skip work to keep from failing chemistry. I'll bet Shakespeare never had to deal with that. Way back when, they would charge our hospital for a 55-character line (a bunch) because somebody at the hospital who signs the contracts was seriously clueless (and yes, there are clueless people still out there only most of them are in Bartlesville, Oklahoma, when it comes to line rate) and pay an MT 8 cpl, 65 characters with spaces (as far as we knew).

This whole offshore outsourcing was to increase the profit margin. Labor is the largest overhead expense most businesses have. It is why software development has gone to India, with a few American "handlers". It is really doubtful they have their line rate down to 5 cpl with VR or offshore. You could call to get a quote and see what they offer at what rate.

They are "turnkey" right, HIPAA compliant, secure, smooth and efficient, do everything but make the bed?... I'm thinking that comes at a premium to the client. It always has.

I had a west coast account that paid me 12 cpl 65 ch with spaces, and I was just prn, overflow but kept really, really busy. MQ took it. And it was bigger than big. Like Godzilla big. Closed down on site transcription and 100% outsourced to MQ and I guess, now, India. They got the account because they took all of it. The facility saved money because they canned on-site MTs right and left. I didn't get the impression it was for a lower line rate than I was getting - and I got a head's up, which I so appreciated. The supervisor I worked through left transcription altogether and went to work in another area of this considerably sized organization. Oh, and she was so happy about the move. Said she was going to really enjoy her job, now.

It's too bad MTs took up slack for India while they - IMANMT2

[ In Reply To ..]
were getting up to speed to take over. I did a Google search for something unrelated and ran across a Mary Morken feed from about 1995, assuring everybody that Indian MTs WOULDN'T replace US MTs, and how if someone was going to be negative at the progress MT was making they could refrain from posting. :D We need a time machine.

Or maybe just get organized (find an organization that really gives two for the MT - and there isn't one, AAMT or AHDI), pull together, use VR to our advantage (it should always have been an MT tool not replacement) and undercut the big MT monsters. Money talks. And without cleaning up either India or VR, they can't make it and that is added cost, plus all the MTIA action they are funding, sales budgets, attorneys for litigation for WHEN they are sued.

Good MTs are hard to beat, and that is all it would take. Good MTs networking and getting organized into a work force with a head. And you will have to be organized to survive, HIPAA and HiTech and "Business Associate" are seeing to that.

This has been a fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants industry forever. Those days are over. Corporate America and investors took notice... unfortuantely, and have ruined our good thing.

I think we can take it back. WE are the backbone. I don't care how many mangers you have, you are the people doing the work, always have been. Management just doesn't respect Labor unless Labor makes them.

Finally getting it? - BUNION

[ In Reply To ..]
This has been happening for years, what was your first clue? How long have you been there? What have we been telling you? Been gone for over a year and LOVE my life!

Similar Messages:

Another One Bit The Dust
Mar 02, 2011

Are there any companies that are offering transcription only jobs that are descent.  I was full time at home and now am struggling with VR, etc. ...

Another One Bites The Dust....
May 18, 2012

U.S. Transcription caves to M*Muddle.  Nowhere to run, nowhere to hide.  Say it ain't so Joe. ...

Another One Bites The Dust - SS
Mar 12, 2013

Comments?? ...

Another One Bites The Dust.
Oct 21, 2014

Received call from TSM (or whatever they are called now) yesterday that she will be done as of November 18th.  MModal is doing away with too many good ones.  Don't understand their thinking, we will be merged with another BOB, another quality coach will be added, and a scheduling person.  Why not leave it alone!  She mentioned all the good things that will come of this, all I see is bad.  I tried to be optimistic before, but after hearing this, I am not right in the ...

Another One Bites The Dust
Jan 05, 2015

Well just got word that the physical therapy company I work in house for is going point and click.  Inevitable I know.  We have about a month/month and a half.  They are keeping one of us to work the system, make sure everything is correct in it, etc.  So I'm going to start pounding the pavement.  I am thinking of looking for PT front desk work.  Wish me luck. ...

My Return To MQ Bites The Dust
Sep 29, 2011

Several years ago, after working for MQ for a few years, I gave up on them - it was right around the time they introduced the whole cesspool thing and all my work disappeared.  Then, I began working elsewhere and guess what, same boring story, the work dried up.  So, with painful reluctance I came back to MQ and these last few weeks has been one heart-wrenching day after the next.  There's either no work, or I get another hospital with completely different CP instructions or ...

Another WMXer Bites The Dust.
Mar 23, 2012

TE is leaving. ...

Another One Bites The Dust...let Go Today
Aug 17, 2013

PT. Ccm said all PTers being let go due to lack of work. I could tell that she knew that I knew the reason WHY there was a lack of work--offshoring to india. I was at top of tier level btw. Good riddance MM. You saved me from having to quit, which I planned on doing very soon as I was sick of working for such a sh____, greedy, unethical company. ...

So The Incentive Plan Bites The Dust. Now What?
Mar 15, 2010

I guess what it's saying is that we will get raises instead, based on how we did in Jan/Feb?  Oh you mean the two months that I had little to NO WORK?  How do we know if we're getting a raise anyway?  Is the Raise Fairy going to hit us with a wand and tell us? ...

Got Last Advance Mag Today. Another One Bites The Dust.
Apr 15, 2010

There is an article about the future of MT profession, which I didn't read yet.   I am almost afraid to.  ...

Another Production Coordinator Bites The Dust At Keystrokes!
Mar 21, 2011

nm ...

Another One Bites The Dust - Accentus Acquired By Nuance.
Nov 20, 2012

to really get out of this field.     sigh ...... ...

For Anyone That Works At TTS Are The Accounts Difficult Accounts And
Jul 09, 2013

how is the platform.  I know people have negative comments about them but are there any positive ones.  I would only try it PT and IC.  Not sure that would work out or not.  ...

I Assume The Bayscribe Accounts Are The Old MDI-MD Accounts -- Sm
Jan 30, 2014

is that correct? If so, are CB and DF still involved? I love Bayscribe, and I was thinking about biting the bullet and applying to Nuance for some PT work, but I kind of butted heads with the 2 ladies and so I don't want to waste my time. Thanks for your input. ...

How To Get Your Own Accounts?
Nov 05, 2009

Hello, I have been a transcriptionist for a couple of years now.  I wound like to try and get my own accounts.  I live in a heavily populated area where there are tons of doctors offices.  I am unsure how I should go about this.  Do I start calling these offices?  Do I make up a flyer?  Do I stop in and drop off my resume.  Any ideas or thoughts you would like to share with me would be greatly appreciated!  If you would like you can also email me.&nbs ...

How Many Accounts Can You Do In A Day?
Jun 28, 2010

I am sick to death of being bounced all over the place!  I would love to force the QA lead and CCM to swich every 10 minutes as well... Now in the south, switch, now in the north, switch, now in the west... Yeah, just try and keep track of all of these accounts.  THIS IS FLIPPIN CRAZY having to check the client profile with every darn job! I feel like creating my own darn client profile today and not one of these accounts are gonna like it. ...

Anyone With Their Own Accounts?
Oct 07, 2010

Recently I was told the account I've been on for the past decade is going to voice recognition.  Having worked on a VR platform briefly, I know I don't want to get screwed making half the money with longer hours. I really hated it and did almost as much typing then as now - only at half the rate.  That being said, has anyone gone out and found a couple of docs locally to transcribe on their own?  I guess I'd have to buy a call-in system?  Just seems like it w ...

Getting Your Own Accounts
May 16, 2011

A couple of years ago I obtained an LLC, took a webinar on how to run a transcription business as far as getting ideas on file transfer services, fees, etc.  However, because I had to work full-time I never found time to pursue beyond that, or I guess I just chickened out basically.  I guess I am thinking I would just start calling locally.  I already checked with a college friend, who is a general practitioner.  Of course, they are entering data themselves and not using tran ...

VA Accounts
Nov 10, 2011

Can anyone let me know who some of the companies are that transcribe for VA accounts for example OK City, Kansas City, etc. Thanks! ...

Getting Own Accounts
May 21, 2012

Any advice on getting own accounts?  I was thinking about making a page with my info on it.  My specialty is psych transcription.  Can I just send out my info page to various psych clinics to see if they are looking for a transcriptionist?  Any advice on what to charge?  I was thinking 10cpl.  Any advice on this is welcome.  ...

Looking For My Own Accounts
Aug 29, 2012

I'm going to be sending out brochures to doctors' offices in my area.  I'm wondering which specialties would be the best ones to target - i.e., more likely to outsource their transcription to an individual transcriptionist, least likely to have EMR or EPIC. I can do most specialties, but it would help knowing which ones to try first so I can save money & time. Would appreciate any ideas/suggestions from your own experience. ...

Accounts
Mar 06, 2013

What do consider accounts?  All the different facilities, which can have a hundred people dictating or individual physician offices?  Just curious?  As I was warned by some of you kind transcriptionists, I did not get my own hospital where I previouslly worked, but have gotten several large facilities in the state.  When I question the supv, she always says "you are primary" on my old hospital.  Like to know how that is since I rarely get their dictation and she has admi ...

MT Accounts
Sep 11, 2013

When a healthcare facility outsources to a company such as M Modal do the MT's who were in-house retain their own transcription jobs they once had?  Is this a contractual agreement between M Modal and the healthcare facility?  ...

Wow My Accounts Rot
Sep 15, 2013

I was on other accounts for most of my shift and then got switched back to my normals. Mine are terrible, how can I get switched, tired of listening to foreign docs all day long. ...

Put On New Accounts
Feb 13, 2014

It was bad enough that we lost 1 of the accounts that I have had for 13 years last week, but today, without notifying me, I was put on new accounts.....the accounts where they are firing people left and right because of not passing audits.  My line count went down at least 30 lines per hour, mainly for having to look up physicians to cc, and consulting physicians, ect.  I am very stressed, and I just had to vent.  My nerves are frazzled. ...

I Have Got 4 Accounts Now, 2 Of Which Seem
Mar 26, 2014

I am just wondering if this is the new policy, or maybe just my little area of Nuance. It seems as if, despite my protestations, I am now forced to have 4 accounts, two of which I am unfamiliar and seem rather generic and never seem to have anyone working on them full time. On the other hand my primary and secondary are always decimated because so many people are on them now so I am forced to do the crappy overflow ones. I really hate having more than 2 accounts, except when things are really s ...

OTI Accounts
Apr 18, 2014

I am so sick of getting emails from OTI pleading to transcribe these accounts that pay 7.5 cpl and are practically as long as books and ALL VERY difficult ESL's.  7.5 cpl....... Really?!!! ...

Many Accounts From All Over
Nov 05, 2014

Is everyone else now getting reports from many different facilties, from all over the country?  I work part-time, and today alone I received reports from 16 different new facilities, separate from what had been my regular account, which in itself encompasses about 12 hospitals.  It's very time consuming to go through each profile and get used to each new and sometimes irritating doctor, often with very poor sound quality.  On top of that, I'm getting ...

AP - New Accounts
Jan 01, 2015

Wondering if anyone has been set up at all with the new accounts yet?  I know it's a holiday but kind of expect to get account specs or at least have them listed in my account list.  Even an email about the status would be welcome! ...

How Many Accounts Do You All Have?
Jan 31, 2015

Just wondering.  I am having enough trouble keeping these 3 separate with all the different client specs.  Over 2 or 3 is just insane. ...