A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Advance Magazine 2009 Salary Survey - MissIndigo

Posted: Dec 17, 2009

It contains some very interesting information and is well worth the read. Just for instance, approximately 35% of MT respondents reported earning $35K or above. and 23.8% report $0 to 20K. Home workers across the board reportedly made slightly more than facility workers.

Worth noting is wage levels for coders and cancer registrars since our field may well evolve to include both coding and data abstraction duties, as well as the issue of credentialing. (BTW, my company, WebMedx, is among the 19% who pay credentialed employees more--and help them obtain the credential.)

For perspective: 2007 US real median income for women: @$35K - MissIndigo

[ In Reply To ..]
(For men @$45K)

For the same year, national median clerical occupation wages ranged from roughly very low $20s to low $40s (managers and Postal Service workers still higher).

There is no agreed-upon definition of middle class, but some dollar definitions (as opposed to social, including how one "feels" relative to society at large) would very roughly place the lower half of this spread in the working class and most of the upper half in the lower middle class, with top earners (over $50K) in the upper middle class. This is for one-income households, of course.

BTW, a related Advance article notes that 36% of survey respondents had 20 or more years in the HIM field, so data are weighted toward experience.

Similar Messages:

ADVANCE 2013 Salary Survey
Oct 17, 2013

The ADVANCE Salary Survey is available to participate in and includes asking salary information about medical transcriptionists. Link is below to participate.   ...

Let's All Take The Salary Survey!
Sep 23, 2014

Help us help you?!!! http://emedia.advanceweb.com/HM?a=FtX7Cqsc3_Ni8SA9MKJcRXvnGHxKLJ2w-gjtS5kGaNU60bBhOG5mpqVsje_HhdD-fUrq ...

Just Saw A Salary Survey
Mar 22, 2015

On the Advance for HIM web site there is a salary survey from 2014. On the graph of average salaries, MTs were the lowest (even below billers) with average salary of just over 29,000. Coders made over 49,000. Pretty interesting ...

AHIMA Salary Survey
Mar 29, 2015

See the AHIMA page below for a link to their 2012 salary survey, the latest one.  It includes coding salaries.  The national average was 49,222.   Their careers map is also on that page.  Very helpful so you can see where you can go from coding.     ...

AAPC 2012 Salary Survey Results
Nov 05, 2012

I am a member of AAPC and just received and reviewed AAPC's 2012 Salary Survey Results. You must be a member to read the survey. Because of the alarming wage decline as a medical transcriptionist, I decided to become certified as a coder and AAPC certification can be achieved sooner than AHIMA certification. I took AAPC's online course in February, achieved the CPC-H certification in September and have an apprentice designation. I am now searching for employment. According to th ...

I Can't Find The AHIMI Salary Survey. Anyone Know Where I Can Find This?
Dec 20, 2011

TIA ...

Informatics Salary Versus Coder Salary
Jan 15, 2013

Hello Everybody.  First, let me say I have gotten a lot of good advice from this board in the past few years.  I have been encouraged to go back to school, am currently enrolled in Andrews for coding, and am looking to the future to obtain a degree to further advance myself in the field. I am very strongly considering WGU's Informatics course. I think this will be a good fit for me, especially considering this program also includes many IT certifications and I have always been ...

MT/Coding Magazine
Nov 03, 2009

I used to receive a free magazine that was mainly for coding, but it had some MT information.  It was more of medical information magazine.  I have since stopped receiving it and can't remember the name of it.  Does anyone know what I'm tallking about?  If so, can you send me the name of the magazine so I can contact them and get another subscription.    Thank you. ...

For The Record Magazine
Mar 27, 2015

There's a very well-written article in the newest edition, called Life on the Low End of the Pay Scale, regarding pay for transcription, current and past, how WE got to where we are now, and MTSOs' role. In essence, a good way to start us back to better income is to refuse the low pay that lots of companies offer. We have to raise our bar, no one will do it for us.  ...

Last Paycheck Of 2009
Dec 24, 2009

Nothing like getting the last paycheck of the year the day before Christmas.  My annual income is LESS than half of last year.  Thanks, Kumar, for the coal in my stocking. ...

2009 Earnings
Feb 16, 2010

Anyone care to share 2009 earnings? Curious as to what MTs make nowadays yearly. ...

New KLAS MTSO Report For 2009
Dec 09, 2009

KLAS announced today that the 2009 MTSO report has been published. This report evaluates the changing landscape of medical transcription vendors. ...

Any Info On Transtech (Texas), Cant Find Anything Newer Than 2009.
May 26, 2011

Archives are only to 2009, cant find anything newer. Sounded good back then, how are they now? ...

Cannot Link Instant Text Pro V To BeyonText (word 2009)
Aug 10, 2011

I am having problems with Instant Text linking to my word program.  I just started w Transcend and they use Beyond Text as their wp.  I am using the trial version of IT Pro V and cannot get it to link.  The red light will not go off and when i press on the up arrow to link the program nothing happens.  I thought it might be b/c the same command to link is also a command in BT but the arrow wont even work.  Help!  If I cannot even link the program how can I use it! I ...

MedQuist Reports Third Quarter 2009 PROFITS --Brags About Workforce Reductions
Nov 10, 2009

EVERYONE PLEASE READ THIS IMMEDIATELY!! http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/medquist-reports-third-quarter-2009-results-69596867.html From article: Net income for the third quarter of 2009 was $9.7 million or $0.26 per diluted share compared to a loss of $5.8 million and $0.15 per diluted share in the prior comparable period year. This improvement was the result of multiple programs designed to increase productivity, and decrease cost of revenues. Research and development costs decr ...

How Much In Advance Do We Need To Put In For PTO?
Mar 04, 2012

x ...

Advance MT, New Jersey
Jan 24, 2011

Any recent info on this company would be appreciates, pros and cons, Thanks. ...

What In The World Is He Saying? Thanks In Advance!
May 12, 2011

This doctor is going way too fast. Even when we slow him down, he is going sooooo fast. Here is the sentence we have been stuck on! The patient ___ sedation to the right. The abdomen is prepped Beta and scrubbed Beta solution and draped in usual fashion. Same doctor, same dictation: The area was checked for hemostasis, closed with 3-0 Vicryl of the subcutaneous tissue and 4-0 Vicryl ___ skin and steri-strips. Please and thank you SO very much! ...

Is It Possible To Advance In This Company?
Feb 28, 2012

Any potential at all? Anyone know? I'm already an MME, wondering if there's another direction I can go. ...

Apologies To QA In Advance.
Oct 25, 2013

Lots of blanks today. Getting reports from an account I hate. Doctors aren't entering ADT information correctly. Doctors aren't caring a bit whether they are hard to understand or hear. Horrible ASR output. And 4 cents a line just isn't worth the extra effort, especially as my count is barely making minimum today because of the reasons above. My patience and tolerance is gone. I will be so glad when I am out of here! ...

Any Info On Advance Transcription?
Dec 28, 2009

nm ...

Apologies To QC People In Advance
Dec 11, 2014

I know you are just doing your job and that you too are being monitored and held to Nuisance's guidelines.  I know it is nothing personal, but you have to understand it is only human nature when we see a post audit ding and see your name and a string of hateful words and thoughts spill forth.  We are going to contest things like crazy and cuss like crazy.  Nuisance has it set up this way and they are basically pitting MLS against QC/QA.  Again, I know you are just doing ...

Any Opinions On SoftScript! Thanks In Advance For Any Info..nm
Oct 15, 2009

nm ...

Got Last Advance Mag Today. Another One Bites The Dust.
Apr 15, 2010

There is an article about the future of MT profession, which I didn't read yet.   I am almost afraid to.  ...

Anyone Heard Of Advance Technological Radiology?
Nov 08, 2013

Has anyone heard of Advance Technological Radiology? Rad approached me and the rad group is behind several hundred reports. Each time I am sent voice files to download for testing, it never works. Any other transcribers? Any office manager? Is company good? Bad? ...

Possibly Moving To AZ. Any Advice For Work Out There? Thanks In Advance. Nm
Apr 21, 2010

xx ...

Advance Technological Radiology In Florida A Scam?
Oct 26, 2010

Anyone know if the new job posted for Advance Technological Radiology in Florida a scam?  I can't find any information on search for them!  Thanks. ...

How Long In Advance Do We Need To Request Pto For Major Holidays?
Mar 18, 2011

I can find a lot on PTO rules, etc., but not that.  thanks ...

Relation Between Offer For Tier III's To Advance To MME - Avoid Being Laid Off???
Apr 06, 2013

Remember the email we got from Corporate waiving the 90-day wait period to apply for advancement of Tier III's to MME and allowing til April 30 to do it?  With all the lay offs going on, anyone think a bigger axe will fall once May 1 rolls around and the Tier III's that did not do this will be let go?  From the way things look with all the lay offs, maybe this is one way to hang onto our jobs.  Thoughts anyone? ...

Anyone On Salary?
Jun 18, 2010

Just wondering if there is anyone who works from home and gets paid a salary from where they work? Basically, on their payrole and receive benefits and the same amount of money each week no matter how much or little work you have? ...