A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Do multiple typos drive you crazy and when does it stop being a typo - and start being laziness?

Posted: Feb 28, 2010

Just want to vent a little about how lazy I think people over the age of 18 have gotten regarding proper grammar and spelling.  I am not just talking about typos.  I know on MTStars we are not supposed to point out typos, but I was just struck with the question:  When does it stop being a typo and start being laziness and sloppiness, or maybe even uneducated? 

I just received an Email from my 19-year-old granddaughter that was full of those abbreviations that everyone uses when texting (some of which I had no clue what they were) and also some obviously wrong words (there instead of their, wait instead of weight).   Now, don’t get me wrong, I am the first to say “Give me a break.”  I do not know how many times I have hurriedly typed an Email, quickly scanned it over for any blatant typos, and hit SEND, only to have a huge mistake almost jump off the page at me as the Email closes.  So, I would never criticize anyone who posts on a Board or writes an Email for misspellings, typos, or bad grammar, but at some point, I have to begin to wonder if they are really just typos or do these people actually not know how to spell or which word is correct to use. 

I am currently looking for another job, so I have been looking at various MT job sites that let you post a resume.  I was absolutely flabbergasted by what MTs have actually typed (and not proofed) on their resume, thinking that will get them a job. 

Here are some examples of what MTs have actually posted on line (and these are AMERICAN Medical Transcriptionists).  No names or locations are given, so there is no way to know exactly who these resumes belong to.  However, if someone reading this has recently posted a resume on line and you think I have included yours with the examples below, please believe me when I say I did not do this to embarrass you.  I only wanted to point out that proper spelling and grammar SHOULD NOT be limited to the transcription you do.  I was taught that you should strive for accuracy even in a simple note to your family.  If you start letting your guard down in casual circumstances, it does not take long before you let your guard down at work as well.  If you do not take the time to slow down when typing a message in an Email and proofing it before hitting send, are you really giving 100% to your transcription and are you proofing every word you type, or are you getting lax there too?  Also, I feel resumes are sacrosanct.   If you have typos on a resume, I believe, no one will hire you, no matter how much experience you may have listed, especially if you are applying for a Medical Transcription or Editing position. 

Obviously, the following examples are not going to impress any potential employer.  Can you image what the recruiter or office manager is thinking when they read a resume and find errors like these.  No wonder no one is calling to offer a job. 

WORK EXPERIENCE 1. Freelance Medical Transcriptinist (4 years MT experience)

Wmultispecialty:  (10+ years MT experience)

If you would like to see my full job exsperiance (no Medical Transcriptionist experience, recently completed courses)

I don't have any medical transcription experience but have …online MT course… I have proven typing and computer skills and ability to proof my own work.   Attention to detail and accuracy in transcription are a plus. References I use are Dorland's Pocket Medical Dictionary, Merriam-Webster's Medica Desk Dictionary and MedlinePlus Online Dictionary, & various texts. 

Best time to call if u want to contact me is… (no MT experience)

Sorry for the long rant.  I just remember being pummeled in high school and by “mentors” for any minor typo or grammatical infraction, not to mention some early QA people who took great pride in being able to point out just one mistake on a report and who were absolutely giddy if they could find more.  Now, it seems like no one cares if their personal writings are garbage.  I still subscribe to the theory that what you do when not working DOES reflect on how your work ethic will be perceived. 

But I could be totally wrong. 

Thanks for letting me vent. 

P.S.   My ego is not easily bruised.  Go ahead and point out the typos.  LOL 

Grammar and spelling... - blondie

[ In Reply To ..]
A lot of the texters that use the abbreviations in texting, which I am not good at, also use them in emails and IMs. I have also noticed hardly anyone actually types out things anymore in casual emails and such. Sometimes I find myself noticing when friends or family members email or IM me that they use wrong words such as there instead of their too. I think it is just because I am a MT that I notice every little thing. I don't know.
Looking at the resume, I am stunned that anyone could be that bad at spelling and think they can be a medical transcriptionist.
Don't get me wrong, sometimes I am sure I make an error too, but errors such as on the resume are just awful.

It never stops being - a typo

[ In Reply To ..]
Even though it's completely understandable for anyone at any time to commit a typo or two, it's still a typo.

That being said, it makes me nuts when there are flagrant typos in professional contexts (including resumes). I definitely don't want to see "u" for "you", or any other snappy abbreviations.

I recently sent an email to a transcription company because their website advertised "uninturrupted" service. I find that inexcusable.

Agree wholeheartedly - Happy MT Robin

[ In Reply To ..]
I had a very similar conversation one time with someone on another message board. Her argument was that it was just casual conversation and so she/they/anyone should be allowed leeway in their typing/writing/syntax, etc. My argument was that when people only know you by your written word, why would you not want that written word to be as accurate as possible?

The English language is a fluid and alive language, so there is always a certain amount of growth and/or change that goes along with it. Having said that, however, I truly despite "text talk" and even when I am texting spell out whole words. It helps that I have a smart phone with the entire keyboard. I was talking on line with someone who is a college professor and she says that she has actually had students turn in papers with these kinds of abbreviations in them. Needless to say, they didn't get a passing grade on that particular assignment.

OMG! (Re students turning in papers with texting abbreviations) - FeelinLikeADinosaur

[ In Reply To ..]
You're right about text talk, it's appalling anywhere but in a text (and like you I text in actual English, but must admit that I never did get the hang of that lingo, and do not want to, EVER!)

I agree - crazyMT

[ In Reply To ..]
I fear those of us who agree are probably dating ourselves. I cut a little slack occasionally for friends, but it bothers me a lot more when I see it in publication or on public signs. My church is notorious for misspellings and I groan inside every time. I do have a 17-year-old daughter who is even more perfectionistic about it than I am, though. It would kill me if I ever let something like that go through on a resume!

MQ sent me a corrective action notice because of a "HIPPA violation." - I cannot believe they spelled HIPAA wrong!! nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

MQ doesn't know HIPAA from hippopotamus anyway - but that is a different conversation

[ In Reply To ..]
Never ceases to amaze me what silly misinterpretations some MTSO's have come up with regarding HIPAA.

But now back to our scheduled program...

I get the idea of different "rules" in different settings - like texting and IM but...

[ In Reply To ..]
...there is always the danger that habits will carry over from one to the other. And of course, in the case of a resume, a transcribed report, etc. the laziness consists of unwillingness to proof your work.

Just last week, I emailed a question to the author of a "scholarly" book on organizational psychology. His reply consisted of nothing but lower-case letters. No capital "I" for the pronoun, no upper-case letters at the beginning of sentences, and he signed off "dan" instead of "Dan". Of punctuation, there was none other than the period at the ends of the sentences.

This was not a situation such as one in which friends might be informal, but he might well have been replying to me by way of an iPod or Blackberry device, in which case the question should be asked whether our technology is going to drive grammar, spelling, and even whole words out of existence entirely?

Incidentally, you can usually distinguish a typo from other kinds of errors from the context of the entire document and by looking at the error itself ("teh" instead of "the" is more likely to be a typo than "there" which should have been "their"). A typo usually (but not always, of course) looks like what it is - the fingers getting tangled up - and if you see the same word typed correctly elsewhere in the document, that's a pretty good clue that the mistaken word was a typo.

Huge difference between most typos and poor grammar/spelling skills. - deb

[ In Reply To ..]
You can't convince me that "there" instead of "their" is just a typo because you were in a hurry, or because it's an email or message board post and not "work." Either you have the skills or you don't, and you don't just turn them off when you stop working. And there is NO excuse on a resume, which should be carefully proofread as many times as it takes.

The schools just aren't bothering with grammar much anymore. When my son started college, his first semester of English consisted of teaching the student the grammar that they should have learned in elementary/high school, because most of them hadn't learned it. That's disgraceful, especially in a country such as this.

Similar Messages:

I Think The Plan Is To Drive Us All Crazy . . .
Jan 20, 2014

Unfortuntely for me, this will be a short trip.  I am stressed to nearly the breaking point.  Can't pay bills now and now this.  Got to find a solution and quick.  Finding I can't compete with the younger folks in the job market.  Age is a pitfall. ...

Apparently, I Just Cannot Type Verbatim! Either That Or QA Is Trying To Drive Me Crazy!
May 17, 2011

I started a second job for extra money and so I'm on 100% QA.  I keep getting feedback for what I consider to be the most inane reasons.  I am old school.  When a dictator starts as sentence "patient is here for..."  I type "The patient is here for ...."  So QA has pinged me several times for not typing "verbatim."  So I've tried to be very conscious and listen very closely.  Now I've gotten feedback where I clearly thought I heard patient, typed ...

Word Expander + Typos
May 26, 2010

I am in need of a text expander that also corrects typographical errors (i.e., corrects teh to the and iwll to will).  I know there are several text expander programs out there, but also want one that will correct my typos. Any advice/help you can offer will be greatly appreciated!  ...

The Nuance Ad Is Riddled With Typos.
Sep 20, 2014

Double standard?  Do as I say, not as I do?    Practice what you preach!    ...

Correcting Typos - Opinions/survey - Sm
Feb 11, 2011

Just curious - do you all correct any typos AS you type or wait to do it/them at the end of the report?  I do mine as I type; just curious if others have a better way. Also, each day have a different word that won't "TYPE" out right that day - today is  STONE....this is coming out SEONT...dyslexic today.  But each day it's a different word that just won't behave.  Always interesting to see what my fingers will pick each day.  Anyone else have this h ...

Typo On MQ Central
Jan 18, 2010

Did anyone notice the article regarding our W2s---dated Janurary 18th? When the heck is that?  My, my, someone needs to be performance managed- or at least taught to use spell check before posting that on MQ Central for us all to see. :)  Did they not think we would catch that? ...

Absolute Transcription, Is Their Pay A Typo?
Oct 15, 2009

Who in their right mind would work for 7 cpl? ...

Typo In Shaw's Email
Sep 12, 2013

Perhaps Shaw should have one of us working for him so he doesn't send out "important" emails like taking everything away from everybody with a typo!!  "You will receive an FAQ document in a separate email to help answer questions you may have."    ...

There Is A Typo In The Client Profile On One Of
Jun 24, 2014

my accounts that says "Tile" table test instead of tilt table test.   My, my mistakes do happen, I guess!  ...

...And A Failed Report For A Single Typo. Doesn't The Company Understand How
Apr 07, 2014

x ...

CD Won't Come Out Of D Drive
Dec 30, 2009

I inserted Stedman's Medical Dictionary CD into D drive. Message came up that said "you have no disk in D drive", so I clicked the button to remove it, but no disk was there. I did not put this disk away and is nowhere to be found. When I turned computer on later, a black screen came up saying I had left a disk in D drive and I had to press F1, so I know it's still in there, but not visible.  I can't open the case. ...

Cardiac Drive?
Jun 14, 2011

It sounds like the doc is saying: "We will obtain a cardiac drive and uptake scan."  The diagnosis is a thyroid nodule.  Any ideas what he might be saying that sounds like "cardiac drive?" Thanks!! ...

Word Help, And It Is Going To Drive Me Batty
Apr 27, 2010

if I don't figure this out.  Doing pediatric cardiology with is new to me and can not find anything close to this.  Pt is a 5-1/2 yo who just a secundum ASD repaired.  Patient's intraoperative echo showed no residual ASD, good function and initially she was in a s/l "wee-ge-bog" rhythm which then returned to normal sinus. Thanks!   ...

Problem With External Drive
Jun 09, 2010

HI, I need help and how.  I work on production and cannot afford to be down at all.  I have a HP Pavilion Desktop, XP software, and a West. Digital external drive--My Book Essential 2.0 which is barely 6 mons. old.  About 2 wks. ago, the power tray in the computer failed and was replaced.  He fixed that, returned it, and the computer worked just fine.  It failed again 1 wk. to 2 wks. later.  The tech said the wiring/cords inside were all twisted up.  No one ...

Hard Drive Shot...now What?
Jun 21, 2010

OK, here's the scoop. I am working on an older company-provided Dell running XP that's basically on the very last of its legs (got the blue screen of death this morning but was able to finally get to Windows and into my program). I talked with our IT guy today, and he said to get a new hard drive and have the old info transferred (at my expense, because of new company rules). I work on ChartScript.net and asked if that ran on Vista because I could then use my laptop, our only other com ...

Partitioned Hard Drive
Oct 04, 2011

My old computer is 10-years old and has given me a blue screen 3 times when I am in AOL only.  My computer guy has suggested a rebuilt computer with XP cause that's what I need, or a new computer with a partitioned hard drive.  Does anyone have an opinion on this?  I am not that informed to know if this would work well.  Any experience with or opinion on this would be appreciated.  Thanks in advance. ...

CBay Expansion Drive
Dec 02, 2011

Happened to read the following in Cbay's facebook page.  Hope I don't lose my account.....this time... http://www.facebook.com/CBaySytems?sk=wall   CBaySystems' Coimbatore office will embark on a recruitment drive to appoint MTs, QAs (office based) and HBTs. They will be looking for talents from Trivandrum, Kochi and Chennai. The recruitment drive will be held on the 27th and 28th November in the following hotels. Trivandrum - Hotel Horizon, Kochi - Hotel Presidency, ...

Mmodal Recruitment Drive?
Apr 05, 2013

After reading about this horrific layoff, I notice this: MModal is conducting a Recruitment drive exclusively for Medical Transcriptionists, Direct Uploaders, Direct Posters, Quality Analyst & Editors at Bubhaneshwar.   The recruitment drive is scheduled from 6th April to 8th April 2013.   Interested candidates willing to appear for the drive need to send their applications / resumes to vijaykumar.dharmaji@mmodal.com or durgaprasad.nandikolla @mmodal.com for a scheduled ...

Flash Drive To Say Auto-correct
Jun 09, 2011

A flash drive sounds like a great way to save auto-correct, but I can't find anything in word to tell me how to copy/backup auto-correct??? TIA ...

Lost My Shorthand 10 Flash Drive!
Jul 28, 2012

Does anyone have a .spf file that they could "loan me" until I either find my flash drive or I build my own up (could take years like my original one did!)?  I had a backup but that hard drive crashed, and boy was I grateful for the flash drive backup, but what with one thing and another, I didn't back it up on my new computer and of course now I'm kicking myself.  Or if there is a resource online that I could use, that would be great. I'm looking for a more generic com ...

Has Anyone Ever Successfully Imaged Or Cloned A Hard Drive
Oct 06, 2011

from a PC that was provided by a company?  If so, how does one do this? I work for one of the MTSOs and they provided a desktop PC.  However, there are times when I would like to be mobile and would like to be able to use my laptop.  The company will load their software on their PCs and will not load it on an employees personal computer.  So I am trying to devise a way to be able to use my laptop on those occasions when I would like to take my work with me. I have ...

Saving Shorthand File To Flash Drive
May 11, 2013

Can anyone tell me how to save my shorthand file to a flash drive?  Thanks. ...

Does Anybody Know The Pros/cons Of Having An External Hard Drive?
Jan 23, 2015

Multiple Emails
Jan 15, 2015

We seem to be getting more and more emails charting our progress, charting our errors, charting how much time we are idle.  You name it, these people are chart crazy.  I think they like the multiple colors.   I am worn out from it all.    If they spent half the time actually building us up with positives instead of negatives all the time, maybe, just maybe it would help our production.  ...

Multiple Physicians, Same Name?
Apr 03, 2015

I'm training with Nuance. CC goes to a doc, there is a choice of 2 to choose from, same city, both GP's. I can't find anything in the pdf manual about how to pend this. I asked and was told by TM to find it in the manual. I can't. Anyone know? Thx for any help. ...

Question About Multiple Accounts
Oct 28, 2009

I have five accounts that I currently work on - three are considered my "primaries" and two are "secondaries".  Does this seem like a lot or is it just me?  I have to switch between three different platforms to perform the work and on a daily basis I work in at least four of the accounts.  I'd love to find a position where I just had two, maybe even three accounts - does this even exist anymore?  ...

Multiple Calcifications About The S/l *lye* Of The Pelvis??
Apr 28, 2010

. ...

Working On Multiple Accounts
Apr 30, 2010

I work for an MTSO and have been given 4 accounts. After my first one ran out of work they gave me another, and then when that one ran out they gave me another and so on and so forth. My primary and secondary accounts I like, they are basically sister hospitals and are pretty similar. My fourth account is very large and always has work and is a totally different type of hospital, but I like the work and the packet the QA people sent me is very informative and easy to find what you need. However ...

Test For Multiple Myeloma
Aug 23, 2010

A recent _____ and Beta-2 microglobulins were checked, and the results are pending. Sounds like Pess-step  (he's eating, so it is hard to hear) Thanks!     ...

BRD Chemotherapy For Multiple Myeloma?
Apr 18, 2011

The patient has relapsed multiple myeloma.  The doc is saying the goal is to start her on s/l BRD with the hope of getting her to an excellent remission.  TIA. ...