A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Apparently, I just cannot type verbatim! Either that or QA is trying to drive me crazy! - LaLaMT

Posted: May 17, 2011

I started a second job for extra money and so I'm on 100% QA.  I keep getting feedback for what I consider to be the most inane reasons.  I am old school.  When a dictator starts as sentence "patient is here for..."  I type "The patient is here for ...."  So QA has pinged me several times for not typing "verbatim."  So I've tried to be very conscious and listen very closely.  Now I've gotten feedback where I clearly thought I heard patient, typed patient, and QA has sent back "The patient..."  AHHHHH

We are told to type in run-on sentences if that is the way it is dictated.  Fine except I correct the dictator's punctuation and grammer automatically, without even being conscious that I am doing it.  It has become second nature to me.  So I'm getting feedback on that.  I'm not supposed insert the word "and" if it isn't dictated even it is a mile long series or sentence.

I have never been so frustrated.  I've been doing this for 20 years.  My primary job is with a large inner city hospital.  I'm by far not a perfect MT, I freely admit that.  I also admit that 20 years of experience doesn't necessarily mean that the MT knows what she is doing, BUT in my case I feel I do know what I'm doing.  I am good at my job and at my primary job I always pass QA.  This secondary job has reduced me to banging my head against my desk every morning when I go over my feedback. 

I just never realized how hard typing verbatim would be.  It is really difficult to NOT think!

this is the new thinking, unfortunately - mt

[ In Reply To ..]
At one point, I was working for 2 different companies and on 2 different accounts for 1 company, essentially making it 3 companies with 3 different software platforms and, of course, 3 entirely different sets of rules. It does take time to be able to do verbatim, especially when you work on another account that is not. I have been an MT for almost 35 years now and am also old school - my job was to make the doctor sound intelligent. Those days are gone, except for the few clients who still want the doctors to sound intelligent.

Hang in there - I made 1-page crib sheets for myself with the main points on them for each client (strict verbatim rules, follow BOS, etc.). I also printed feedback for the first while with the date and QA person's name who provided feedback so that I could reply and say, "this is what I was previously told - can you clarify which way you want it, please?"

It does get easier if you continually remind yourself that you are doing what the client wants, which is not necessarily correct, logical or coherent.

This isn't for Global is it? nm - They suck

[ In Reply To ..]

No, not Global. - LaLaMT

[ In Reply To ..]
x

one QA person or 2? - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
^

One. One very annoying person. - LaLaMT

[ In Reply To ..]
x

sounds familiar indeed! - but then, they are everywhere.

[ In Reply To ..]
do they call her A-Annie? She thought is was funny, cute - it was no joke. (All in how you say things....)
Indeed they are everywhere in QA. I think being nasty - is one of the prerequisites when QAs are hired.
[ In Reply To ..]

There's nothing new about QA who are stupid and/or - dedicated to playing out some personal

[ In Reply To ..]
power or spite game at your expense. Supervisory work attracts people with certain types of personality problems. BTW, I've experienced that type of QA also on starting a new job. For some perspective on your own situation, though: We've been in the field for a similar period, and the last time I changed jobs, to a company with very good QA, I was off my initial trial period and released to regular work after ONE DAY. Not because I was "perfect," but because I demonstrated competence to a competent QA who was looking for it.

So, you've been earnestly trying to conform to your new guidelines and are still subjected to this nonsense. Time to wrap up this game, corporate fashion, by letting your higher-ups know they're at risk of losing a new employee they already have an investment in. Tomorrow morning, call the person you're supposed to be working under and have a nice chat. Remember, this person doesn't know yet if you're going to be an "I can top that" story or a real keeper. Follow QA's directions as closely as possible, even if they vary from day to day, responding to each move with e-mailed questions, and copy everything to everyone appropriate, letting them understand you feel you need to move on to regular work. If they don't take care of him/her, that's a very bad sign but valuable information to base important decisions on. I'd give them the rest of the week max to release me from QA.

I'll cross my fingers for you that this company turns out to be what you hoped it would be when you chose it.

regarding your cc's-make sure all replies to you are sent replay ALL, not just to you. - happened to me...small msg

[ In Reply To ..]
was reamed from QA with copies to 2 higher-ups. I answered standing up for myself with copies to the two higher-ups. Later, I was cleared by this QA numbskull as 'wasn't you afterall' but that one came just to me, so to higher's up, I was still at blame and THE problem.

I copied all on my last reply thanking her for all her efforts in a job well done! (...AH)

I've had that problem too, but then... - mt

[ In Reply To ..]
They want me to fix it when the doctor says, "he," when she meant, "she," and vice versa. Sometimes you can't win. My company is a verbatim company as well. If I were to truly leave it verbatim, these reports would be a huge mess. However, I've never been docked by putting words like, "the," in the report. That is just an MTSO not wanting to pay for those three extra characters. That's really what it comes down to.

Verbatim - Blah-blah

[ In Reply To ..]
Verbatim is the biggest cop out ever as far as I'm concerned. They can ask for "verbatim," but when the dictator talks for 2 paragraphs about a patient with cough, congestion, and shortness of breath in the history and then says "no shortness of breath" in the ROS, I'm not typing that, so I flag it. When they dictate a sentence that says "Patient does not smoke or drink alcohol," I'm not typing that. Some of these sentences make me roll my eyes. Granted, most of these dictators are ESL, but even the infamous "verbatim rule" doesn't excuse such a poorly constructed sentence in an official medical report. Then there's the whole verbatim EXCEPT concept: He/she, left/right, correction of patient's age when you have the DOB. I could go on and on, but what about when the dictator talks about "in November of this year" and it's only May? I'm not typing that. I try to stay as close as possible to the dictator's "style," and always flag if there is any question, but I'm not typing "mg" when it should be units or mcg. Then there's the dictator who says "Zosyn three-three-seventy-five milligrams IV," and I've actually seen reports where the MT has transcribed "Zosyn 3375 mg IV" instead of 3.375 g (or flagging). Verbatim--ha!

It sounds like you work for that company that - sounds like a sneeze. nm

[ In Reply To ..]

Similar Messages:

I Think The Plan Is To Drive Us All Crazy . . .
Jan 20, 2014

Unfortuntely for me, this will be a short trip.  I am stressed to nearly the breaking point.  Can't pay bills now and now this.  Got to find a solution and quick.  Finding I can't compete with the younger folks in the job market.  Age is a pitfall. ...

Do Multiple Typos Drive You Crazy And When Does It Stop Being A Typo
Feb 28, 2010

Just want to vent a little about how lazy I think people over the age of 18 have gotten regarding proper grammar and spelling.  I am not just talking about typos.  I know on MTStars we are not supposed to point out typos, but I was just struck with the question:  When does it stop being a typo and start being laziness and sloppiness, or maybe even uneducated?  I just received an Email from my 19-year-old granddaughter that was full of those abbreviations that everyone uses w ...

It Would Be Interesting To Type Exactly Verbatim
Mar 31, 2015

I get so tired of these people slurring everything together, speaking so fast because it's what they always say.  Then we're told by QA, they the same thing over again so you should know what it is.  If I could understand it, I wouldnt leave a blank!!!   We're told not to guess.   Especially lab values or other numbers or values.  No wonder we leave blanks, when we can't tell if it's  180 or 190 because you're speed slurr ...

How Would You Type For Verbatim Acct, 87- Almost-88-year-old Male?
Sep 16, 2011

.. ...

I Am VERY Tempted To Type Verbatim As Pronounced By This Twit NP
Jun 08, 2015

nm ...

So, Do I Go With Verbatim (verbatim Account) Or Leave A Blank If
Nov 19, 2010

the doctor is dead wrong about his anatomy? The patient has a problem with his foot and leg, but he dictates ulna. I wouldn't give it a second thought to leaving it blank, but I already got notice about documents with blanks (usually 1-2 blanks if any, and anymore than 3, to QA). Hmm... go with what is right or what is the least path of resistance (i.e. least likely punishment) BTW - The document I sent yesterday with 4 blanks to QA, they couldn't fill them in either. Shesh, the ...

Question About Verbatim... How Far Are We Supposed To Go With Verbatim?
Nov 19, 2014

The reason I ask is because this morning I'm doing an acute care progress note where the dictator says "The patient has end-stage chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and she is still sounding pretty crappy and congested."  I absolutely refuse to use the word "crappy" in a medical document if it is not within the context of a direct quote from the patient, i.e. "I feel pretty crappy..."  So I decided to omit crappy and just say "she is still sounding pretty congested."  QA w ...

CD Won't Come Out Of D Drive
Dec 30, 2009

I inserted Stedman's Medical Dictionary CD into D drive. Message came up that said "you have no disk in D drive", so I clicked the button to remove it, but no disk was there. I did not put this disk away and is nowhere to be found. When I turned computer on later, a black screen came up saying I had left a disk in D drive and I had to press F1, so I know it's still in there, but not visible.  I can't open the case. ...

Cardiac Drive?
Jun 14, 2011

It sounds like the doc is saying: "We will obtain a cardiac drive and uptake scan."  The diagnosis is a thyroid nodule.  Any ideas what he might be saying that sounds like "cardiac drive?" Thanks!! ...

Word Help, And It Is Going To Drive Me Batty
Apr 27, 2010

if I don't figure this out.  Doing pediatric cardiology with is new to me and can not find anything close to this.  Pt is a 5-1/2 yo who just a secundum ASD repaired.  Patient's intraoperative echo showed no residual ASD, good function and initially she was in a s/l "wee-ge-bog" rhythm which then returned to normal sinus. Thanks!   ...

Problem With External Drive
Jun 09, 2010

HI, I need help and how.  I work on production and cannot afford to be down at all.  I have a HP Pavilion Desktop, XP software, and a West. Digital external drive--My Book Essential 2.0 which is barely 6 mons. old.  About 2 wks. ago, the power tray in the computer failed and was replaced.  He fixed that, returned it, and the computer worked just fine.  It failed again 1 wk. to 2 wks. later.  The tech said the wiring/cords inside were all twisted up.  No one ...

Hard Drive Shot...now What?
Jun 21, 2010

OK, here's the scoop. I am working on an older company-provided Dell running XP that's basically on the very last of its legs (got the blue screen of death this morning but was able to finally get to Windows and into my program). I talked with our IT guy today, and he said to get a new hard drive and have the old info transferred (at my expense, because of new company rules). I work on ChartScript.net and asked if that ran on Vista because I could then use my laptop, our only other com ...

Partitioned Hard Drive
Oct 04, 2011

My old computer is 10-years old and has given me a blue screen 3 times when I am in AOL only.  My computer guy has suggested a rebuilt computer with XP cause that's what I need, or a new computer with a partitioned hard drive.  Does anyone have an opinion on this?  I am not that informed to know if this would work well.  Any experience with or opinion on this would be appreciated.  Thanks in advance. ...

CBay Expansion Drive
Dec 02, 2011

Happened to read the following in Cbay's facebook page.  Hope I don't lose my account.....this time... http://www.facebook.com/CBaySytems?sk=wall   CBaySystems' Coimbatore office will embark on a recruitment drive to appoint MTs, QAs (office based) and HBTs. They will be looking for talents from Trivandrum, Kochi and Chennai. The recruitment drive will be held on the 27th and 28th November in the following hotels. Trivandrum - Hotel Horizon, Kochi - Hotel Presidency, ...

Mmodal Recruitment Drive?
Apr 05, 2013

After reading about this horrific layoff, I notice this: MModal is conducting a Recruitment drive exclusively for Medical Transcriptionists, Direct Uploaders, Direct Posters, Quality Analyst & Editors at Bubhaneshwar.   The recruitment drive is scheduled from 6th April to 8th April 2013.   Interested candidates willing to appear for the drive need to send their applications / resumes to vijaykumar.dharmaji@mmodal.com or durgaprasad.nandikolla @mmodal.com for a scheduled ...

Flash Drive To Say Auto-correct
Jun 09, 2011

A flash drive sounds like a great way to save auto-correct, but I can't find anything in word to tell me how to copy/backup auto-correct??? TIA ...

Lost My Shorthand 10 Flash Drive!
Jul 28, 2012

Does anyone have a .spf file that they could "loan me" until I either find my flash drive or I build my own up (could take years like my original one did!)?  I had a backup but that hard drive crashed, and boy was I grateful for the flash drive backup, but what with one thing and another, I didn't back it up on my new computer and of course now I'm kicking myself.  Or if there is a resource online that I could use, that would be great. I'm looking for a more generic com ...

I'm Apparently The Only One...
Nov 24, 2009

I've been an MT for years (about 10).  I've worked subcontracting for many companies, local docs and my local hospital.  I've worked for probably 10 internet companies on a temp basis to help with overflow (usually covering summer vacations).  I've never had just one company, always several, so if one was out of work, another could provide.  Of all the companies I have worked for... I like MedQuist the best... I know I'm alone in this apparently, but ...

Well Apparently To Be An MT...
Aug 21, 2012

All you have to know how to do is type really fast.  At least that is what I've been told by a couple of staffing companies.  (I don't agree with this by they way).  Just thought it was odd that this is how medical transcription is viewed by some these days. ...

Apparently,
Nov 18, 2013

I have tried for over 3 hours today to make my "elecions" for insurance to NO avail.  Of course, no one answers the phone to help you OR responds to e-mail request for help.  How much more difficult can this be. When I hit the "submit" button NOTHING happens.  Screen locks up. I am surrendering this fiasco for tonight.   Hopefully, I can find somebody tomorrow that will help me.  Apparenlty, I am to dense to do this.  ARGH!!!!!! I just feel like everything ...

Apparently We Are On Our Own
Mar 05, 2014

So we get the email today that the QC is overloaded with her job and to please utilize the style guide and BOS and other Mmodal goodies rather than calling or emailing her. You know Mmodal/Shaw, if we actually were allowed to contact other MTs on our same accounts we wouldn't need to contact our QC every time the client decides to make exceptions for each doctor and it never gets added to the CP or we just cannot figure out what that doc is saying. But apparently we are truly on our o ...

Has Anyone Ever Successfully Imaged Or Cloned A Hard Drive
Oct 06, 2011

from a PC that was provided by a company?  If so, how does one do this? I work for one of the MTSOs and they provided a desktop PC.  However, there are times when I would like to be mobile and would like to be able to use my laptop.  The company will load their software on their PCs and will not load it on an employees personal computer.  So I am trying to devise a way to be able to use my laptop on those occasions when I would like to take my work with me. I have ...

Saving Shorthand File To Flash Drive
May 11, 2013

Can anyone tell me how to save my shorthand file to a flash drive?  Thanks. ...

Does Anybody Know The Pros/cons Of Having An External Hard Drive?
Jan 23, 2015

Apparently I Am 100% ASR Now. I Made
Dec 07, 2010

$30 less today than when it has been mixed straight and ASR typing and it has been the longest day of my life.  I have eaten more, got up more.  I cannot sit still.  If this is supposed to be "easier" on us than typing, they are full of hooey.  ...

Wow - Apparently Transcend DOES Pay Well!
May 14, 2011

http://people.forbes.com/profile/susan-mcgrogan/80763   Susan McGrogan // President and Chief Operating Officer Transcend Services, Inc. Atlanta ,  GA Sector: HEALTHCARE  /  Medical Practitioners Officer since August 2006   44 Years Old Susan McGrogan has served as our President since August 2009, as our Chief Operating Officer since February 2007 and Senior Vice President of Operations between August 2006 and February 2007. Ms. McGrogan joined us in Ja ...

Wow - Apparently MQ Pays Well, Too!
May 14, 2011

http://www.aflcio.org/corporatewatch/paywatch/ceou/database.cfm?tkr=MEDQ&pg=6 CEO Pay Database Peter MasanottiPresident and Chief Executive Officer MEDQUIST INC (MEDQ)Headquarters: MOUNT LAUREL, NJBusiness Services 2009 Compensation   2009     Salary $500,000 Bonus $0 Value of Stock Awards $0 Value of Option Awards $0 Non-Equity Incentive Plan Compensation $700,000 Change in Pension Value and Deferred Compensati ...

I Would Like To Have Someone Who Is Apparently More Enlightened Sm
May 26, 2015

than I am, to explain to me how, when I am told to take my lph divided by 2 and my overall lines for the day and divide by 2, how we are getting paid for all the lines we do.  I'm curious how that is explained so people see that they are actually getting paid for all the lines. For example, I am told that I need to figure C-LPH which is basically my lph divided in half.  So if I am able to edit 250 lph, for the grid that is equivalent to 125 clph.  Then my total lines are di ...

Our Wonderful ASR. Apparently, Since It Still
Jun 23, 2015

cannot figure out the word Xarelto even though it's seen it corrected tens of thousands of times by now, it has decided that word is "femoral tunnel."  Not even remotely close!  The doctors/administrators who are drooling over the thought of VR cutting us out would be in shock to see what it actually cranks out. ...

Apparently Performance Mentoring
May 03, 2012

I have just learned. ...