A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Bureau of Labor Statistics Inaccuracy? - Meh

Posted: Jan 13, 2014

I'm a pretty new MT. I've only been working for about a year. I didn't know how little I was going to make when I trained for this--more or less minimum wage. If one were to research it even today on the Internet, they wouldn't know either by looking at government site Bureau of Labor Statistics. According to its site, the median wage in May,2012 is $34,020. That would make it about $18.00 hour, which I'm sure would make you all stop complaining. So has medical transcription pay gone that much downhill in just about a year later? Of course, it says MEDIAN pay is that amount, which is a little tricky. But still, it sounds misleading.

Oh boy, you just opened a can of worms - let the bashing begin

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Average Growth? - Meh

[ In Reply To ..]
Oh, another thing the Bureau of Labor Statistics says on website is that job outlook/employment is expected to grow 8% from 2012 to 2022, whieh is average for all occupations. I thought medical transcription is supposed to be extinct in a couple of years, according to some people here.

pay - SM

[ In Reply To ..]
$34,020 is $16.50 or so an hour.

Many MT are making that. They just donĂ¢€™t come here and announce it. Those who arent making it, are here complaining about it. There are many reasons for someone not being able to make it. I'm guessing those doing VR and agreeing to be paid peanuts are the ones not making any money.

If you are new to MT, and you researched the field from real transcriptionists prior to enrolling, you'd have learned that MT schools are closing and that earnings have gone down as the job is redefined.

And median is just that- which makes that $34k an abstract number, not a guarantee of any kind.

I CURRENTLY MAKE - +22.00/HR

[ In Reply To ..]
NM

Not for long, you don't. (sm) - In-House Lead

[ In Reply To ..]
Don't be lulled into a false sense of security. Even the system manager here knows her days are numbered. She's figuring she's got 2, possibly 3, years. At that point, we'll be left with NO manager and just 3 leads to handle multiple hospitals and 25 clinics -- one lead for day shift, one for swing, and one to float and cover weekends. I won't be one of them; I know this. Two of the other leads were already laid off earlier this year. All the MTs who, yes, were making over $20 an hour, were all laid off a long time ago. That's close to 200 middle-class jobs that vanished into thin air. Very few of those are still working in MT at all, and the few who are are scratching out a subsistence living. The Bureau of Labor Statistics has neglected to delete these MTs -- and so many others across America -- off their rolls.
I am so sorry this has happened to you but - what I stated is my current situation
[ In Reply To ..]
When the gloom and doom you mentioned, I'll deal with it but as of right now, this minute, this day, this month, I'm earning what I stated. I'm sure we do not work for the same hospital.
This is the trend across the country, not an isolated incident - In-House MT
[ In Reply To ..]
If you live in the middle part of the country, it will take longer to trickle down to you. But trickle down it shall.

I am not one of the perpetual Debbie Downers around here who like to sit in their dirty diapers. I'm an optimist and an opportunist who has already taken steps to secure my future post MT. I'm also a realist who's seen the ebb and flow of this field for more 20 years now.

I've never said MT would be wiped out entirely. But it will be significantly, drastically cut. If you believe you'll be the very few left standing, then good luck to you. You'll need it. I don't believe you are being realistic or paying attention to what is going on around you, but it's your life and you can live with the consequences.

I can tell you right now there are many, many MTs working on our accounts at this very moment who have no idea what is about to hit when we pull the plug on them. Don't be lulled into a false sense of security.
Surely we all knew this day - was coming
[ In Reply To ..]
same ebb and flow for 34 years now. I have been preparing for this day for 34 years. When I started in 1979 Xerox was working on some form of SR. Surely we all knew this day was coming. Between my pension (from mu current and other employment, including VA pension), 401K (which has not been wiped out) and social security I fairly certain I will be ok. My planned retirment date is 01/02/2016. Preparation is everything. I am very much a realist.
blanket statements - huh
[ In Reply To ..]
I'm a MT working for an MTSO. I make greater than $30/hr consistently, sometimes more, never less. I'm not the only one. There are many, many transcriptionists who are still doing well in this field.

Yes, there is a downward trend but all trends bottom out somewhere and then they tend to rise again. So I think the median stated by the BLS is likely more accurate than you want to believe.
I am happy for you, good to see you still prosper - I never had
[ In Reply To ..]
the courage to work outside of a hospital. So for 34 years I have consistently worked in pathology with raises each year and great benefits. I just hate when someone posts about their positive experience some of our colleagues get offended and accuse us of being boastful and insensitive. Congratulations to you, you're clearly making more than I make and I and happy for you. I so wish this could be the experience of all MTs.

I previously made way over... - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
...the national average because I worked my butt off. My recent hourly pay has dropped by approximately $15 per hour. That is SOLELY due to a 40% cut in pay from Nuance.

not just one year ago. I saw that about 3 years ago - Backwards Typist

[ In Reply To ..]
and even went so far as to e-mail the BLS to question where that info came from and to check different companies for what they were paying...never received an answer and guess the data was never corrected so people wouldn't get the wrong impression of the downhill wages...

Too bad they didn't care to find out the truth.

At Nuance, it depends when your company was acquired. - SM

[ In Reply To ..]
Generally speaking, 6 months after an acquisition is when the MTs generally feel the pinch. The MTs are led into a false sense of security right after the takeover, but then 6 months later, they're eating Top Ramen. This is sadly not an exaggeration, but the truth.

Here are the facts... (sm) - Rose

[ In Reply To ..]
I started in 1987 when the going rate waS .10 cents per line. Over the next 20 years I increased to .14 cents per line when the standard was .12 to .14 CPL for ICs. I now work for .04 cents per line editing, which takes me the same amount of time per line as it did transcribing using expansion software. So in the last 27 years as an MT I am working for LESS THAN ONE THIRD the line rate I charged 27 years ago. Those are the facts.

What the Bureau of Labor Statistics must go by are the few MTs who are still transcribing rather than editing, and work directly for hospitals and clinics without the middleman (MTSOs). I also recall when looking at their figures that they base it on studies years before.

^ Spot on. (nm) - In-House Lead

[ In Reply To ..]

partial facts - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
You're stating YOUR facts. I work for an MTSO. I make a very nice paycheck. I know many other transcriptionists who do the same.

Likely the BLS IS talking about transcriptionists and not editors (who I believe if you look may have a different classification).

The field is changing and morphing into what it will be. We need new people coming into the field or else that truly will ring the death knell.

those are your facts not everyones - mtr

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

As I stated, those were the facts for an Independent Contractor - Rose

[ In Reply To ..]
Not someone who worked for an MTSO over those 27 years I quoted. The only MTs I knew of who would tolerate the MTSO low pay of 7 CPL back then, and still today, were newbies without experience, to get experience so they could charge the going rate for ICs that I quoted.

That is based on the "old" transcription and most likely - in-house. Transcription now has

[ In Reply To ..]
been replaced with editing and those statistics probably haven't been compiled yet, or they're being shoved under the rug. Remember, the biggest part of transcription is research ability. If you had really researched the "profession" prior to training, you would have realized the majority of traditional transcription jobs have gone and are replaced with editing.

It is accurate in my case - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I only worked as an at-home MT until only 5 months ago. A huge hospital system based in Wisconsin decided to take their entire transcription department back. Thus, they hired a ton of MTs to work directly for them, paid hourly, full benefits, but able to work from home. I really lucked out and landed one of these jobs. I get paid just over $18 an hour, fabulous benefits and work M-F. This is definitely not the norm, though.

Please, Tell Us More! - Rose

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm curious how big this hospital was, if it was a general hospital or specialty, if they used an MTSO with EMS and if they took their MT department back after problems with VR? If so, there's more hope for us. Thanks for the info.

Similar Messages:

Bureau Of Labor Statistics Job Outlook For MT
Mar 20, 2013

From the BLS website: Job Outlook Medical TranscriptionistsPercent change in employment, projected 2010-20Other Healthcare Support Occupations - 25%  Total, All Occupations - 14%  Medical Transcriptionists - 6%  Employment of medical transcriptionists is expected to grow 6 percent from 2010 to 2020, slower than the average for all occupations. The volume of healthcare services is expected to continue to increase, resulting in a growing number of medical tests and procedures, all ...

CA. Labor Board States "Good Case" Regarding Unpaid Labor
Jun 22, 2015

A fellow MT posted on the Nuance board that she contacted the California Labor Board regarding unpaid labor.  I hope this case creates a precedent!  For me, some jobs are so laden with problems half my time is spent researching and correcting dictator errors - for no pay!  We are not paid to check email, answer email, train, review of all the documents emailed to us, review changes in procedure, doctor exceptions to the rule, working with tech support, reviewing QA, searchin ...

Typing Test For Census Bureau?
Dec 29, 2009

I am going to take the typing test for a data transcriber position at the Census Bureau soon and was wondering if anyone has ever taken this test before?  What do they have you type?  Thanks in advance ...

Does Anyone Have Any Information On The Bureau Of Office Services, Inc. (BOS) Sm
Mar 31, 2010

How are they to work for?  What is the pay scale like?  Platform?  The ad indicates that benefits are included for FT employees - are they expensive?  TIA. ...

Just Got A Part Time Job With The Census Bureau At $12.50/hr...
Apr 09, 2010

more than I am making now!!! ...

Bureau Of Office Services - See Message
Oct 13, 2010

They were advertising for a VA account and a radiology account on October 7 or 8 but it appears as if all the posts have been removed.  Is this a legitimate company?  I checked out their web site, it looked okay to me.  Does anyone have any information that they would be willing to share?  Thanks ...

Bureau Of Office Services .... Did Anyone Who Sent Them A Resume Hear From Them?
Apr 29, 2010

nm ...

Audio Transcription Center/Skill Bureau
Dec 03, 2012

Hello all, Has anyone had any dealings with Audio Transcription Center, which is apparently part of or associated with the Skill Bureau?  I got an email saying they wanted to talk tp me after I had already trained for a co. I was not excited about but needed a job. They want a typing test and then 4 audio files to be done for testing.  It's an IC position.  Could not get much information on the phone from the placement person.  Would be interested in any opinions/knowle ...

Does Any Have Any Info (or Heard Back From) The BOS (Bureau Of Office Services)? Sm
Apr 16, 2010

They had an ad up a while back for VA transcriptionists.  I'm wondering if anyone currently works for them and what the platform, pay, etc., are like. ...

BOS VA (Bureau Of Office Services); Has Anyone Heard From This Company, Or Can Current
Oct 08, 2010

n/m ...

ASR Statistics - I Don't Get It.
Jul 16, 2012

I don't understand the difference between (statistics for production including inactive time) "Your Gross/Active Lines Per Hour" and "M*Modal Average Gross/Active Lines Per Hour". The counts are different with the "M Modal" lines being less. Then there is (statistics without inactive time, ie what they think you should be producing) "Your Net/Keyboard Lines Per Hour" (-inactive time) and "M*Modal Average Net/Keyboard Lines Per Hour". The counts are different with the M Modal count be ...

OK, I Checked My Statistics For
Mar 04, 2010

1-1/2 days of work.  Out of 50 reports I sent 4 to QA (none of which were able to be filled in by QA). The reports I sent to QA totaled over 200 lines!  I did the calculations (lines done divided by lines sent to QA x 100) and I came in over 10%. It is a no-brainer...MQ says they trust me to make the decision to send blanks to QA or the customer, so I will no longer be sending many reports (especially the long ones) to QA once this process is put in place.  I was a ...

DEP MT's And ASR Productivity Statistics
Nov 11, 2011

Does anyone get emails weekly or every other week with their statistics for DEP and ASR?  I've been getting these and it includes suggestions to get more productivity such as, using left/right arrows, ctrl+shift+left, etc.  It also give me total gross AST activity length, length of time an ASR job is open, length of time spent making changes to an ASR, total inactivity length.  I don't know what to think about this, except that they want more work out of me. ...

Production Statistics
Jun 21, 2012

Here's what I think is the reason for the production statistics and what I think is going to happen this summer.  I believe that MM will say they are reducing ASR pay to 4 cpl across the board and that we can all increase production by following the recommendations in their emails.  I hope I'm wrong but if this happens and I get 2/3 of what I am making now, they will get 2/3 of the editing I am doing now until they figure it out and fire me.  ...

Daily Statistics
Jan 29, 2015

Wondering how 1 job sent to QA because of dictator being a mush mouth can equate to 9%.  Doesn't make sense to me.  ...

Job Typed, But Not On Statistics Detail Log Which
Jun 28, 2010

means I typed a job, but someone else got the credit for it.  Im new to MQ and I dont know what I did to have this happen.  I sure dont want it to happen again.  Has this happened to anyone else?  When IT researched the jobs it said it had been "discarded." ...

Interesting Statistics Regarding ESL Physicians
May 08, 2011

If you think you are getting more and more ESL dictators, you are probably right.  According to a public website, there were 2130 Visa petitions/applications and 748 Green Card petitions/applications for PHYSICIANS for the year 2010 alone.  That does not include all the ESL physicians that came into the United States over the previous years.  Yes, some applications were denied, but why do these hospitals feel they need that many foreign physicians to begin with.  If you are ...

ASR Productivity Statistics Rant
Oct 25, 2011

Regarding ASR productivity statistics, measured in ines and hours.  If the goal is to minimize the difference between gross and net LPH by decreasing inactivity length, then instruct all dictators to stop eating, talking to others, pausing, etc when dictating, and stop telling me to limit my time spent researching in one instance and then in another I'm being told to use the multiple resources available--you can't have it both ways! Regarding total mouse clicks:  Get real!&n ...

ASR Proficiency Statistics - So Much Wrong With This!
Nov 16, 2012

I scored low in everything - key strokes, playback speed, editing while audio is playing, etc. Everything they advise plays havoc with accuracy!!!! If I did what they advise me to, I would flunk an audit so bad. I might as well just read the document and edit what looks wrong. Nevermind that reading the document won't do any good because ASR leaves out text, adds text, puts in wrong numbers in the labs, etc. ...

With All The Statistics MMmodal Likes To Keep On Us,
Feb 11, 2013

I would like to know how much time per week total I spend waiting for another job to download after uploading my last one.  Come on guys, watchu afraid of? ...

Fluency's Statistics Inaccurate
May 22, 2013

I've noticed for about a month now that when I compare the number of jobs I've done per day on my daily log sheet to Fluency's, it doesn't match. There are usually one or two, sometimes three jobs fewer than what I've actually done. I figure I'll only get minimum wage anyway, so I haven't reported it, but I would like credit for what I do. I wonder if there's a way someone else can be syphoning off my completed work and getting credit for it. ...

Weekly Emails Detailing ASR Statistics.....
Nov 05, 2010

How about giving me some straight typing and compare that productivity rate to the ASR productivity rate????? But they can't take the truth! I'm sure my productivity rate will be low ..... and then they will tell me how to improve my ASR production! ..... I doubt it. I already use the short cuts. Nothing will help with reports needing multiple corrections per line. Sure, I can Ctl M to supposedly get me to the place I need, but that never brings me to the exact spot, so I have to ...

I Wish They Wouldn't Send Productivity Statistics...
May 03, 2012

It just ticks me off and makes me feel stalked.  I find it extremely negative and not helpful at all. ...

Got My ASR Production/inactive Time Statistics ;)
Jul 10, 2012

Of course I'm over the "target". Hmm.... they us answering the phone, searching the internet and walking away from the work station. One huge cause of inactive time they are conspicuously leaving out is taking the time to read client profiles! - Especially when I am getting many jobs outside of my usual BOB. I'm happy to do a good job - follow the CP, make sure I have the right drug and dosage because the doctor can't pronounce the drug well enough, find the correct name of a s ...

Noticed Anything Strange About The Productivity Statistics?
Oct 10, 2012

My latest one says I had only 2.3% inactive time.  I'm like, yeah, right. ...

Is There A Way To Hide The Huge Statistics Panel In 7.2??
Mar 07, 2013

It takes up most of the screen, and I don't care about any of those statistics anyway.  Just let me work without harrassing me about my stats. ...

Boy, According To Ongoing Statistics, Every Time A Get A Straight
Mar 08, 2013

typing job, my line count shoots up, and then, the longer I do ASR, the count progressively drops lower and lower. Very aggravating to have to do this horrible ASR we are given. Too many corrections! Too much time to format! Feeling so poor (money) and aggravated, but I start paralegal training next week! Only need this job 11 months (or maybe less as some people find jobs before they finish training!) ...

MT Survey For Statistics Class Project
Oct 10, 2014

Hello Medical Transcriptionists, Past and Present!  I'm doing a survey of current and former MTs for my Intro to Statistics project.  Your participation would be deeply appreciated!  Answers are confidential.  I’m collecting data about MTs in the USA - what they know, what they have experienced, and what they think.  Data will be compiled, analyzed and presented in a final report.   Please consider adding your voice to this project.  Your input ...

New Time Discrepancy Added To Statistics
May 27, 2015

Just wondering if anyone else is having issues with this new time discrepancy that has been placed on the statistics every pay period now.  Do they expect you to sit for 8 hours solid and not even get up to go to the bathroom for goodness sakes now. ...

Fluency Statistics Not Accurate For My Latest Shift
Dec 04, 2012

After a complete 8-hour shift, my statistics in Fluency as well as my Job Upload History in DocQScribe show me as having corrected (SR) 9 reports for a whopping total of 357 lines.  There is no way that this can be correct.  Did something happen to some of my uploads or is anyone else having this problem? ...