A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Bureau of Labor Statistics Job Outlook for MT - (SM)

Posted: Mar 20, 2013

From the BLS website:

Job Outlook
Medical Transcriptionists

Percent change in employment, projected 2010-20
Other Healthcare Support Occupations - 25%  
Total, All Occupations - 14%  
Medical Transcriptionists - 6%  

Employment of medical transcriptionists is expected to grow 6 percent from 2010 to 2020, slower than the average for all occupations. The volume of healthcare services is expected to continue to increase, resulting in a growing number of medical tests and procedures, all of which will require transcription.

At the same time, technological advances in recent years have changed the way medical transcription is done. In the past, medical transcriptionists would listen to an entire dictation to produce a transcribed report. Today, many medical documents are prepared with the use of back-end speech recognition technology, in which specialized software automatically prepares an initial draft of a report. The transcriptionist then reviews the draft for accuracy, listening to the original recording as needed. Such technological advances are expected to continue, making the individual transcriptionist far more productive and limiting employment growth overall.

As healthcare providers seek to cut costs, some have hired transcription services in other countries. However, concerns about patient confidentiality and data security suggest a continued need for transcriptionists within the United States.

New MTs dont wanna hear that - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
They wanna believe those ads with the women sitting in a comfy chair with six kids on their lap, smiling away next to the computer, and the ad says "Make $60,000 a year at home!"

That is what a new MT was to hear. They all graduate with honors, they all believe they are the best, and none of them will listen to the warnings, they think we lie!

I believe you - Thornbush

[ In Reply To ..]
That's why I'm in the MT profession for a supplementary income - it's not my main job because I know you can't make a living off being an MT. Not these days.

Not on this planet - maybe

[ In Reply To ..]
on Zeta Reticula where point-and-click and other electronic records that don't require transcriptionists have yet to be invented.

Whoever did the research for that report missed a huge part of the equation. Healthcare providers will continue to cut costs wherever they can, and recordkeeping is an area where technology can replace expensive humans fairly easily. VR will get better. Practitioners will become accustomed to having to do some of the input themselves. New EMR systems will be develped. There may be jobs in the new reality for us, but it won't be as transcriptionists.

We need to figure out how we can leverage the new technologies to our advantage to find new careers or develop other skills entirely.

well, the study actually says - slower than average growth

[ In Reply To ..]
6% is not very much. I feel bad for people who have gone through school and paid so much money and were really sold a bill of goods.

I warned and felt bad for them for years, now all I can manage is - wishing them a speedy awakening and exit. nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x

I think the wording could have been better - (SM)

[ In Reply To ..]
It gives the impression that since more procedures and tests will be done that more transcription will be needed. It should really say more documentation will be needed, not necessarily via transcription, though. Other than that, I interpret the outlook as pretty grim for MT based on that little BLS blurb, especially considering transcription as an occupation is expected to grow a lot slower than all other occupations in general and a heck of a lot slower than other health occupations - 6% versus 14% versus 25%, respectively. It is more grim than when I started at MTEC back in 2007. The outlook on the BLS website for MT back then was all rosy and bright and expected to grow faster than average. There was no mention of VR technology or offshoring on the job outlook back then like there is now. I am glad it has been updated.

"listening to the original recording as needed"? - mom22dogs

[ In Reply To ..]
Really? I don't think so! We listen to the WHOLE REPORT!

Yep. - It should say

[ In Reply To ..]
"...listening to the original recording and making corrections to the draft as needed."

Similar Messages:

Bureau Of Labor Statistics Inaccuracy?
Jan 13, 2014

I'm a pretty new MT. I've only been working for about a year. I didn't know how little I was going to make when I trained for this--more or less minimum wage. If one were to research it even today on the Internet, they wouldn't know either by looking at government site Bureau of Labor Statistics. According to its site, the median wage in May,2012 is $34,020. That would make it about $18.00 hour, which I'm sure would make you all stop complaining. So has medical tran ...

CA. Labor Board States "Good Case" Regarding Unpaid Labor
Jun 22, 2015

A fellow MT posted on the Nuance board that she contacted the California Labor Board regarding unpaid labor.  I hope this case creates a precedent!  For me, some jobs are so laden with problems half my time is spent researching and correcting dictator errors - for no pay!  We are not paid to check email, answer email, train, review of all the documents emailed to us, review changes in procedure, doctor exceptions to the rule, working with tech support, reviewing QA, searchin ...

A Different Outlook
May 27, 2013

My thoughts:  I completely understand where you are coming from when you complain about how bad ASR is -- it is horrid -- BUT, on the other hand, if it were really great, we would have no job. So, as far as I am concerned, I will keep on making the corrections and hope it never improves.   ...

Future Job Outlook
Feb 09, 2010

I'm currently an MT, wanting to change careers.  In your opinion, what are the chances of coding going the way of MT with outsourcing to foreign countries and/or technology cutting back the number or coders needed? Any opinions would be appreciated.  I'm thinking about starting classes. ...

I Have XP And Sometimes When I Am In My Outlook Email It Will Say I Am Low
Jan 27, 2013

on virtual memory but the last time it wouldnt let me open emails because of that and then I rebooted which I dont do often and it worked.  No clue.  I think a lot of this happened since upgrading to IE8. ...

Typing Test For Census Bureau?
Dec 29, 2009

I am going to take the typing test for a data transcriber position at the Census Bureau soon and was wondering if anyone has ever taken this test before?  What do they have you type?  Thanks in advance ...

Does Anyone Have Any Information On The Bureau Of Office Services, Inc. (BOS) Sm
Mar 31, 2010

How are they to work for?  What is the pay scale like?  Platform?  The ad indicates that benefits are included for FT employees - are they expensive?  TIA. ...

Just Got A Part Time Job With The Census Bureau At $12.50/hr...
Apr 09, 2010

more than I am making now!!! ...

Bureau Of Office Services - See Message
Oct 13, 2010

They were advertising for a VA account and a radiology account on October 7 or 8 but it appears as if all the posts have been removed.  Is this a legitimate company?  I checked out their web site, it looked okay to me.  Does anyone have any information that they would be willing to share?  Thanks ...

Setting Up Outlook Express
Feb 15, 2010

I need help setting up Outlook Express from scratch.  I need help with everything.  I guess I am really dumb. ...

Job Outlook For Medical Transcriptionists
Mar 24, 2013

http://bls.gov/ooh/Healthcare/Medical-transcriptionists.htm ...

Opinions On Course Of Study And Job Outlook?
Mar 31, 2013

Usual story -- I loved MT, but I'm about to be laid off and know another MT job would probably pay minimum wage (if that!).  I'm lucky, in that I'll get enough unemployment to live on and will probably still have enough savings to pay tuition.  However, I have no preexisting college degree, and both unemployment and tuition money will only stretch to about 5 quarters. I've already passed the CPC exam once, can brush up and pass it again.  My local co ...

Bureau Of Office Services .... Did Anyone Who Sent Them A Resume Hear From Them?
Apr 29, 2010

nm ...

Audio Transcription Center/Skill Bureau
Dec 03, 2012

Hello all, Has anyone had any dealings with Audio Transcription Center, which is apparently part of or associated with the Skill Bureau?  I got an email saying they wanted to talk tp me after I had already trained for a co. I was not excited about but needed a job. They want a typing test and then 4 audio files to be done for testing.  It's an IC position.  Could not get much information on the phone from the placement person.  Would be interested in any opinions/knowle ...

Occuaptional Outlook. Not So Good Yall
Aug 08, 2013

from the USDOL  worse than I thought.  Only 6% growth  http://www.bls.gov/ooh/healthcare/medical-transcriptionists.htm ...

Outlook 2013 Email Question
Nov 19, 2013

Hope someone can help me with this one.  I recently updated to Windows 8 and Office 2013.  As of about five days ago my deleted messages are NOT showing up in the deleted items folder.  Not sure if I inadvertently changed a setting, or what the problem could be.  I'm using Comcast email, IMAP account.     Thanks!!!  ...

Well Here I Am With XP, IE8 And Outlook And Microsoft Will No Longer Support
Mar 16, 2014

them after next month.  I wasnt reallly counting in all this new equiipment that I probably will have to buy.  What can I do without spending a ton of money.  I am thinking just to keep doing this and what happens happens. ...

Does Any Have Any Info (or Heard Back From) The BOS (Bureau Of Office Services)? Sm
Apr 16, 2010

They had an ad up a while back for VA transcriptionists.  I'm wondering if anyone currently works for them and what the platform, pay, etc., are like. ...

BOS VA (Bureau Of Office Services); Has Anyone Heard From This Company, Or Can Current
Oct 08, 2010

n/m ...

Looking For A User Friendly Email Program Other Than Outlook, Any Suggestions?
Jan 26, 2012

I currently have Outlook 2010 on my PC and I HATE IT!  I can't save any contacts.  I keep getting a message that says I don't have permission to save to that folder or something to that effect.  It's has an obnoxious toolbar at the top of the screen that I have to study every time I need to perform any kind of action.  I really just want something simple.  I don't have Outlook Express on my PC which I would use if I had it.  I've been looki ...

ASR Statistics - I Don't Get It.
Jul 16, 2012

I don't understand the difference between (statistics for production including inactive time) "Your Gross/Active Lines Per Hour" and "M*Modal Average Gross/Active Lines Per Hour". The counts are different with the "M Modal" lines being less. Then there is (statistics without inactive time, ie what they think you should be producing) "Your Net/Keyboard Lines Per Hour" (-inactive time) and "M*Modal Average Net/Keyboard Lines Per Hour". The counts are different with the M Modal count be ...

OK, I Checked My Statistics For
Mar 04, 2010

1-1/2 days of work.  Out of 50 reports I sent 4 to QA (none of which were able to be filled in by QA). The reports I sent to QA totaled over 200 lines!  I did the calculations (lines done divided by lines sent to QA x 100) and I came in over 10%. It is a no-brainer...MQ says they trust me to make the decision to send blanks to QA or the customer, so I will no longer be sending many reports (especially the long ones) to QA once this process is put in place.  I was a ...

DEP MT's And ASR Productivity Statistics
Nov 11, 2011

Does anyone get emails weekly or every other week with their statistics for DEP and ASR?  I've been getting these and it includes suggestions to get more productivity such as, using left/right arrows, ctrl+shift+left, etc.  It also give me total gross AST activity length, length of time an ASR job is open, length of time spent making changes to an ASR, total inactivity length.  I don't know what to think about this, except that they want more work out of me. ...

Production Statistics
Jun 21, 2012

Here's what I think is the reason for the production statistics and what I think is going to happen this summer.  I believe that MM will say they are reducing ASR pay to 4 cpl across the board and that we can all increase production by following the recommendations in their emails.  I hope I'm wrong but if this happens and I get 2/3 of what I am making now, they will get 2/3 of the editing I am doing now until they figure it out and fire me.  ...

Daily Statistics
Jan 29, 2015

Wondering how 1 job sent to QA because of dictator being a mush mouth can equate to 9%.  Doesn't make sense to me.  ...

Job Typed, But Not On Statistics Detail Log Which
Jun 28, 2010

means I typed a job, but someone else got the credit for it.  Im new to MQ and I dont know what I did to have this happen.  I sure dont want it to happen again.  Has this happened to anyone else?  When IT researched the jobs it said it had been "discarded." ...

Interesting Statistics Regarding ESL Physicians
May 08, 2011

If you think you are getting more and more ESL dictators, you are probably right.  According to a public website, there were 2130 Visa petitions/applications and 748 Green Card petitions/applications for PHYSICIANS for the year 2010 alone.  That does not include all the ESL physicians that came into the United States over the previous years.  Yes, some applications were denied, but why do these hospitals feel they need that many foreign physicians to begin with.  If you are ...

ASR Productivity Statistics Rant
Oct 25, 2011

Regarding ASR productivity statistics, measured in ines and hours.  If the goal is to minimize the difference between gross and net LPH by decreasing inactivity length, then instruct all dictators to stop eating, talking to others, pausing, etc when dictating, and stop telling me to limit my time spent researching in one instance and then in another I'm being told to use the multiple resources available--you can't have it both ways! Regarding total mouse clicks:  Get real!&n ...

ASR Proficiency Statistics - So Much Wrong With This!
Nov 16, 2012

I scored low in everything - key strokes, playback speed, editing while audio is playing, etc. Everything they advise plays havoc with accuracy!!!! If I did what they advise me to, I would flunk an audit so bad. I might as well just read the document and edit what looks wrong. Nevermind that reading the document won't do any good because ASR leaves out text, adds text, puts in wrong numbers in the labs, etc. ...

With All The Statistics MMmodal Likes To Keep On Us,
Feb 11, 2013

I would like to know how much time per week total I spend waiting for another job to download after uploading my last one.  Come on guys, watchu afraid of? ...