A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

scoping - dnh

Posted: Apr 17, 2014

I know I have read things about "scoping" on this board in the past but do not know what it is.  Anybody out there who can tell me what scoping is?  Any and all info would be appreciated.  if possible, I would appreciate a response on this board rather than email as I am experiencing some issues with my email currently.  Thanks in advance.  

I'm not sure I would pay money to be a scopist - IMANMT2

[ In Reply To ..]
Scoping is transcribing the machine notes a court reporter makes on site. There is a software out there that will convert their "short cuts" to full text, you still have to go over it for errors, I would think.

Sometimes you have voice, too, sometimes not. That machine only types phonetics and they don't type out every word as it is going (who could?) they come up with their own language/short cut speech like for search warrant they might do schwrnt (I had a student who was a court reporter, she spent hours in the typing lab perfecting her list). It's kind of like autocorrect in word.

When I worked at the hospital almost 20 years ago, one of the MTs was only working for her health insurance and her husband was a court reporter. When she left her 7 to 3 every day, she went home to the House Work and Laundry and Cooking and whatever else and turning her husband's notes into transcripts. He would have notes penciled in and instructions, plus she could ask him if she hit a stumble.

One of the court reporting teachers at the school used to work for a scopist but I think that job fizzled out. I'm not sure.

There was a school of thought that scopists or court reporters could do med tran and really crank out the lines. That was before VR and only a few hit on that idea.

I had a court reporter who didn't finish school but had the equipment talk to me about it once. It sounded like it could boost your productivity as an MT.

Similar Messages:

Scoping. Has Anyone Ever Done This?
Jul 01, 2010

I keep seeing this ad and it seems so interesting but I also feel it is probably as scam.  Does anyone have experience in this at all?  It seems like it would be so easy for a good transcriptionist to do this.  I'm just starting to so loathe my job and want a change. I even attempted the court reporting but I couldn't get past using phonetics instead of spelling words correctly.  It drove me crazy and it is very hard to train for one and work for ...

Anyone Had Success With Scoping?
Oct 05, 2010

Sick of the virtual sweat shops of medical transcription.  Anyone had success with switcing to scoping??  How do you get employed in this field.  I never see any particular companies hiring for this.  I would guess that after you finish the program you would just advertise your services?  Any insights apprecitated. ...

Scoping Careers International Has Anyone Ever
Feb 20, 2010

checked into this option or actually worked with these people? ...

Scoping For Court Reporters
Jul 26, 2010

I am considering taking a scoping course/do reports for court reporters, may be in the future to make a switch from medical transcription.  Anyone has any advice for me.  Thanks. ...

Scoping Careers International
Aug 28, 2010

Just wondering if anyone has experience or knowledge of this company.  Scoping Careers International Thanks! ...

Has Anyone Researched Court Reporting Or Scoping? SM
Oct 19, 2010

All of my work seems to be going to EMR or voice recognition.  I have three kids and I need to stay financially stable.  As I hang on to my last account, I am looking to go back to school.  I dont know where to go.  I was thinking about court reporting and/or scoping work.  Does anyone know where I can find information on these careers? Better yet, does anyone have personal experiencing working within this field? ...

Does Anybody Know If Judy Barrett's Scoping School Is Still In Business?
May 29, 2014

I have seen the scoping discussed in the archives and just wondered if this school was still in business as I see nothing new about it online since a lawsuit in 2010. Anybody know anything?      ...

Going Back To School - Info On Court Reporting And/or Scoping?
Nov 06, 2010

Anybody have any info on court reporting and/or scoping? ...

Changing Careers Maybe--any Info On "Scoping Careers" Sm
Apr 11, 2010

Does anyone know anything about this company and/or this program/career?  Thinking of changing careers.  Thanks in advance for your help! ...