A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Scoping. Has anyone ever done this? - nobody

Posted: Jul 01, 2010

I keep seeing this ad and it seems so interesting but I also feel it is probably as scam.  Does anyone have experience in this at all?  It seems like it would be so easy for a good transcriptionist to do this.  I'm just starting to so loathe my job and want a change. I even attempted the court reporting but I couldn't get past using phonetics instead of spelling words correctly.  It drove me crazy and it is very hard to train for one and work for the other at the same time as your brain has to really change its thinking or at least it did for me.   

scoping - scout

[ In Reply To ..]
Hi,

I did "scoping" for about 10 years, but then the work just dried up. The court reporters' equipment is so sophisticated now, they don't really need scopers anymore. At least that was my experience. So I switched from scoping to medical transcription and have been doing medical transcription for the past ten years.

Are they pretty similar? - nobody

[ In Reply To ..]
There seems to be a lot of similarity in them. Can you do them both at the same time?

scoping - deadre

[ In Reply To ..]
My daughter is a court reporter and does some scoping for other reporters. I would recommend you check out the yahoo boards for court reporters as that is where those professionals hang out and post. Scoping is what the legal field calls the transcription from the audio (usually) taken by a court reporter. As I have found in doing proofreading for her, there are some differences in what is acceptable English and grammar between the two professions. But they are both typing from audio files.
scoping - Joyce
[ In Reply To ..]
Scoping is alive and well! It is not nearly as much typing as MT because you are "editing" the reporter's transcript, not typing from scratch. The CAT software has a bit of learning curve but makes the job much easier and faster. In my opinion, the job outlook is excellent! Feel free to contact me if you would like more info.

Joyce
joyce@midwestscoping.com
Scoping is not typing from audio files; it is text editing. - Jane Cook
[ In Reply To ..]

In recent years, an audio backup system was created for court reporters, so that as they write on the steno machine, they are also recording what is taking place in the courtroom.

Some scopists (especially ones who haven't learned to read steno very well) make extensive use of audio, but I use it only for occasional spot-checking, as do most experienced scopists.   Listening to poor-quality audio and trying to "fill in the blanks" is not really a good way to go.  Court reporters I work with will not work with scopists who have to rely on audio to any great extent.

The steno machine is the dominant means of making the record in the court reporting field, and scopists do editing for those steno reporters.  A very small segment of the field is covered by people who rely entirely on audio recording, but they use better-quality recording equipment than is generally in use by steno reporters.

Hope this helps to clarify what scoping is all about.  It's a great career that I've enjoyed for a long time, after doing medical transcription years ago.

An interesting discussion has just been taking place at the Court Reporting Forum at Compuserve regarding the importance of attention to detail on the part of scopists.  The topic of “sweating the small stuff” may be of help to anyone contemplating entering the scoping field!

(Copy and paste this into your browser)

http://community.compuserve.com/n/pfx/forum.aspxtsn=29&nav=messages&webtag=ws-crforum&tid=69610

This is a long thread, but very informative when you wade through the "chit-chat" and get down to the serious discussion of what is important to maintaining the integrity of this great career!

Scopists are needed more than ever now! - Jane Cook

[ In Reply To ..]

In all the years I've been scoping, it has definitely not dried up.  And the CAT systems that have been in use for years need the human element because no computer software program can think like a human can.

This is an "urban legend" and definitely not accurate.  Years ago, we were told we would all be replaced by tape recorders, but it hasn't happened yet (and never will)!

I have done scoping for 18 years! - Jane Cook

[ In Reply To ..]
Scoping is quite legitimate. Definitely not a scam.

When you are learning to read the steno language (which is a requirement for success in the field), you learn to separate in your mind plain old English and the shorthand that court reporters use.

It requires some focus, but it isn't rocket science!

Feel free to get in touch with me if you would like information about scoping from an "old pro"! :)

Similar Messages:

Scoping
Apr 17, 2014

I know I have read things about "scoping" on this board in the past but do not know what it is.  Anybody out there who can tell me what scoping is?  Any and all info would be appreciated.  if possible, I would appreciate a response on this board rather than email as I am experiencing some issues with my email currently.  Thanks in advance.   ...

Anyone Had Success With Scoping?
Oct 05, 2010

Sick of the virtual sweat shops of medical transcription.  Anyone had success with switcing to scoping??  How do you get employed in this field.  I never see any particular companies hiring for this.  I would guess that after you finish the program you would just advertise your services?  Any insights apprecitated. ...

Scoping Careers International Has Anyone Ever
Feb 20, 2010

checked into this option or actually worked with these people? ...

Scoping For Court Reporters
Jul 26, 2010

I am considering taking a scoping course/do reports for court reporters, may be in the future to make a switch from medical transcription.  Anyone has any advice for me.  Thanks. ...

Scoping Careers International
Aug 28, 2010

Just wondering if anyone has experience or knowledge of this company.  Scoping Careers International Thanks! ...

Has Anyone Researched Court Reporting Or Scoping? SM
Oct 19, 2010

All of my work seems to be going to EMR or voice recognition.  I have three kids and I need to stay financially stable.  As I hang on to my last account, I am looking to go back to school.  I dont know where to go.  I was thinking about court reporting and/or scoping work.  Does anyone know where I can find information on these careers? Better yet, does anyone have personal experiencing working within this field? ...

Does Anybody Know If Judy Barrett's Scoping School Is Still In Business?
May 29, 2014

I have seen the scoping discussed in the archives and just wondered if this school was still in business as I see nothing new about it online since a lawsuit in 2010. Anybody know anything?      ...

Going Back To School - Info On Court Reporting And/or Scoping?
Nov 06, 2010

Anybody have any info on court reporting and/or scoping? ...

Changing Careers Maybe--any Info On "Scoping Careers" Sm
Apr 11, 2010

Does anyone know anything about this company and/or this program/career?  Thinking of changing careers.  Thanks in advance for your help! ...