A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

I will be contacting my state's Dept. of Labor. - Had Enough

Posted: Aug 19, 2010

Last pay check, I did not receive the PTO I requested in SS and was granted by my CCM.

I contacted payroll immediately.

Mind you, this happened to me once before.  It took 1 email and 1 phone call and I had a check the very next day.

It is now a week later.  I have been around and around with payroll and my CCM.  FINALLY, yesterday, I get an email that they owe me the PTO and will add it onto MY NEXT CHECK.

I don't think so.  That is money that I earned and am entitled to.  I followed proper procedure when requesting my PTO and for "some reason" it was not paid to me (exactly what the email from payroll supervisor to my CCM stated).  I CANNOT wait another week to receive that money.

I also asked some other questions about my pay overall that have still not been answered.  They were just swept under the rug like I never even asked them.

On top of that, I'm getting crap for not meeting production.  Oh, um, I've had NJA every single day this week!  I cannot rearrange my entire life to work 24 hours a day because you don't have work available for me during my shift!  I have a life outside this place.  I have children. 

Anyhow, I'm going to start contacting every agency I can, starting with the DOL.  Something is very fishy with my pay in general, and their refusal to answer my questions tells me that they have something to hide.

I'm sick of it!

*And before you tell me to just quit, believe me, I will be within the next month when I am settled at my new job.*

Doesnt it just make you want to walk into the main office, - find whoever is responsible for all this,

[ In Reply To ..]
and just take them out?

It's probably a good thing I live far away from - NJ.

[ In Reply To ..]
:)

Doesn't that just make you want to - Nature

[ In Reply To ..]
You should never say anything or write anything like that, as it could be taken seriously, and you could get in a lot of trouble!!!

I think you misread. I meant take them out of their - position. What did you think I meant?

[ In Reply To ..]
X
I think you misread. - Nature
[ In Reply To ..]
Probably just what many others thought as well. Guess you should have finished the thought in your sentence. Glad I was wrong. Kind of scared me.

Free Speech is still one of our rights here in America. - (Where do YOU live?)

[ In Reply To ..]
n/m
Free Speech - Nature
[ In Reply To ..]
Obviously I live in America, and I love my country. It is just that a person now a days must be careful of things they say with the world being what it is today. I am sorry if you took offense. It surely was not meant to offend you. Matter closed.

It's about time someone mentioned Dept of Labor! - Heading there myself

[ In Reply To ..]
We all need to go to the Dept of Labor. I have had it with NJA and having to sit at this computer making up time, being threatened with performance management and all the other BS. My mother was doing well in rehab but developed sepsis and went downhill fast. I did not see her for 2 days before she died because I had to make up time because of NJA or be placed on performance management.

What they are doing to us CANNOT be legal!!

They might be interested in how were getting gypped - on our lines, too. Im sick of all this.

[ In Reply To ..]

Sorry, but some states, - it will do no good. For ex:

[ In Reply To ..]
Arizona is a right to work state and Georgia. Both of these states have this "Labor organization" which is horrible. Basically it means (Department of Labor in Arizona told me this) employers have the right to screw employees and if you do not like it, then go find another job or move away.

Some other right to work states like South Carolina or North Carolina do not have that "labor organization."

Also, most of us signed that paper "AT-Will" I believe back in Fall of 2005. Hopefully a lot of you did not. It is basically the same thing what I stated, "Employers have the right to let go employees for no reason without warning and do not have to pay severance package, etc." This AT-Will changes employee status to make you work in a Right to Work state.

ALL THIS SUCKS BIG TIME. My husband signed an AT-Will contract years ago and we found out the hard way what it was like for an employer to screw you.

So, the form that I had to sign for MQ a few years ago, I literally crossed out the paragraph with a pen the part where it stated I am an At-Will employee and wrote, this does not relate to me and I do not accept being an At-Will employee and that was nearly 5 years ago.

same here in NY (sm) - bbb

[ In Reply To ..]
I contacted NYS Dept. of Labor and tried to clearly explain what I believe to be not only unethical, but possibly illegal actions. Sadly told by rep that NYS is an "at-will" state regarding employment -- basically they can do anything they want -- told "they can change your job responsibilities, pay rate, etc.

I did speak to someone in dept. that handles DISCRIMINATION and she ran through her "list." I stopped her at "discrimination based on NATIONALITY" and told her our jobs were gone or becoming unbearable because of outsourcing. Don't know if that could be pursued or not. Personally I believe that outsourcing is in fact discrimination against American MTs but who knows what the courts would say.

I just hope every day that they finally just FIRE me so I can get unemployment. I collected part-time unemployment last year when I was put on "work release" for a week and brought back with part-time hours/NJA. Made more on UI than I do working full-time now. What's the point of even trying. Never been unemployed in my life ... what a sad state of affairs this industry has sunk to. :-(
Most states are at-will states whether you sign an agreement or not. sm - Why not find another job?
[ In Reply To ..]
There are other companies out there who are decent, although the do get some negative posters here. I have worked for WebMedx and now work for Keystrokes. I keep MQ for part-time work as I thought I might need to come back. NEVER !!! Both of those companies do not send work offshore.

MQ is not the end-all, be-all, but they try to make it seem that way so that we are afraid to leave.

Just as they can let us go at will, we are free to leave at will.

Dept. of Labor - annka

[ In Reply To ..]
That is despicable, but they have no heart - they don't care about the MTs as humans - they only want our hands and brains to work. What they don't realize is that they really are defeating their purpose - healthy and happy employees are much better for any company, but they tend to make us as miserable as they can and laughing all the while they fill their pockets with money that is rightfully the MTs and buy those new homes, boats, cars, etc. I hope one day when any of management has a conscience that they combust on the spot - they don't deserve any compassion that's for sure!

It's clear that you were not in a position to just tell them stick their job because your mother was more important to you than your job. I cannot even imagine how you feel over the loss of her and not being able to be with her because you were put in such a position by this heartless company.

My sympathies and prayers are with you in your loss and I hope that soon you will be able to leave MQ before it affects your own health. Take care and God Bless.

To Had Enough - naturegal

[ In Reply To ..]
I can't believe that you got your check the next day previously when you had a problem. I've always been told that it would be on the next check, and you're absolutely right, they should reimburse you right away since it was their screw up. Doesn't it make you wonder how the turn over is in their Accounting Dept - kind of scary, if they quit often!!

Similar Messages:

According To US Dept Of Labor
Dec 15, 2012

Recognized as top career choice by US Dept of Labor Statistics, "employment of medical transcriptions is projected to grow faster on average compared to all other occupations through 2014." In addition, with new health care legislation, adding nearly 50 million people to health insurance will definitely increase the demand for more transcribers.   What a crock. ...

Approaching Dept. Of Labor
Jul 19, 2011

Alerting the Department of Labor has been bandied about regarding the unfair and unjust treatment that MTSOs like to dole out because they think they can get away with it, and we have, in a sense, just rolled over and let them for fear of job loss or being the troublemaker if we spoke up.  Perhaps it is time we find out if we have legitimate issues here and maybe something can be done about them, such as: 1.  Not being paid for spaces. 2.  Not being paid for demographics. ...

Found This Under Dept Of Labor.....
Aug 07, 2012

Off-the-Clock References The Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) requires that covered non-exempt employees receive at least the minimum wage and at least one and one-half times their regular rates of pay for hours worked over 40 in a workweek. In general, "hours worked" includes all time an employee must be on duty, or on the employer's premises or at any other prescribed place of work. Also included is any additional time the employee is allowed (i.e., suffered or permitted) to work. The amo ...

Waiting On A Call Back From Dept Of Labor
Oct 07, 2010

I would encourage everyone to call their local DOL about this issue. When we sit here for 20-30 minutes typing a job and lose it due to no fault of our own, we should be compensated for the time that we sat here.  I left a message for my local DOL, hopefully will get a call back, but it seems to me that constitutes not getting paid for hours worked, which is illegal.  If anyone else has checked into this, let me know. Thanks! ...

US Dept Of Labor Back Wages Payment
Jul 31, 2013

Anyone else get a sweet check from K&R for back wages and a letter from Department of Labor? ...

Shouldn't All MTSOs Be Investigated By The Dept Of Labor?
Apr 04, 2015

Landmark:  They were sued with a class action for FLSA violation, for "willfull and reckless" nonpayment of overtime in 2011.  I have not seen a suit for minimum wage.  Anyone aware of any suits besides the one against Landmark?  ...

313-226-7448 616-456-2004 Call Either Number For US Dept Of Labor
Sep 19, 2012

Called state DOL and was given these numbers for US DOL because the company grosses over half a million a year.  I called and left message regarding OT practices at Nuance.  Will update when I get a call back.  ...

If You Are Working For A Company In Another State, Do They Follow Their State Rules Or Your States?
May 12, 2010

x ...

CA. Labor Board States "Good Case" Regarding Unpaid Labor
Jun 22, 2015

A fellow MT posted on the Nuance board that she contacted the California Labor Board regarding unpaid labor.  I hope this case creates a precedent!  For me, some jobs are so laden with problems half my time is spent researching and correcting dictator errors - for no pay!  We are not paid to check email, answer email, train, review of all the documents emailed to us, review changes in procedure, doctor exceptions to the rule, working with tech support, reviewing QA, searchin ...

Contacting Payroll
Jun 27, 2010

Can anyone tell me how to contact payroll?  I am fairly new with the company.  They forgot to pay me last time at all and this time I was paid line count but was told by the recruiter that I would be paid hourly for the first few weeks.  Any information would be greatly appreciated as my CCM is on vacation. Thanks. ...

Contacting Former Employer
Jul 09, 2012

Has anyone ever contacted a former employer to see if they would re-hire you? Reason I am asking is, I was working with this MT company, but had to quit because something happened to my computer and my back-up didn't have the specifications required to run the software they use. It's been about 4 months since I've quit, and I have a new computer now that would work with what they offer. I am hesitant to ask to see if they would consider re-hiring me because when I quit, even thoug ...

Quality 2.0 - Who Is Contacting Them
Oct 02, 2014

At the end of the Quality 2.0 presentation, she says that we can contact her (yet doesn't give contact info) with "any questions, comments, or concerns."  They are "looking forward to our feedback." How many of us are actually going to contact them and tell them what a crock this is?  Something that was glaringly missing from the presentation was how they expect us to decrease these errors.  Do they not realize that the majority of those lab value and vital sign errors aren& ...

Cold Contacting Potential Clients
May 31, 2011

Anyone have any helpful suggestions on cold contacting potential clients. Better by email, mail, fax or phone? Which would be thought of as the most professional? ...

Contacting Someone With The MT Story And Greedy MTSOs.
Aug 04, 2013

This lady might get interested in the MT vs MTSO greed issue if enough people contact her. I've already done it, but it's going to take several people, especially those of you who work for the top 2 greedmongers. You very likely can do it anonymously, give it a try and see. The lady who wrote the article is in this post: http://general.mtstars.com/357551.html Click on her name as the author, and it gives you a contact option. ...

I Have Tried Contacting The Mods About This Company That Has Not Paid
Dec 08, 2014

me yet.  They are a week late.  I will be saying the name if this company does not have my pay to me by TOMORROW.  I have an attorney, but I want to let the mods know I will name names if I do not hear from them quick.   ...

Does Anyone Know The # To Payroll Dept?
Oct 21, 2013

I no longer work there and need to get in touch with them.  Need a copy of W2 and did not have to file a tax return because I did not make enough and do not have a copy of the W2.  Need it for financial aid.   ...

MM Help...how To Contact HR Dept?
Sep 23, 2014

Not sure if I'm just drawing a blank or if I'm going crazy (or both), but didn't our old email system (before IPSWITCH Imail Server) have a bunch of different sections, specifically how/where to contact Human Resources? Can't seem to find it anywhere and the old email system won't let me log in....? ...

Epic - Changes In # Of Staff In HIM Dept?
Mar 07, 2013

Hi.  I am in my third week of employment as a coder!  Yay!  I am learning a lot, still going to school FT, and commuting 1 hour each way to work.  I am the "low man on the totum pole."  We are starting to train for Epic which is supposed to be going live in a few months.  Has Epic affected the work load in that there is a reduction of coders/transcriptions where you work?  Just wondering.  I do other clerical duties such as pulling charts, abstracting, and ...

Anyone Have The Phone # For The HR Dept At MModal?
Aug 18, 2013

I would appreciate it. Need it for applying for UE tomorrow. Any help...thanks. ...

Email From IT Dept At Imedx
Dec 02, 2014

I just love emails from IT department at imedx. It is like solving a puzzle to figure out what they are trying to communicate. More fun and sparkle added to my day! Message to Imedx: Hire 1 English as first language IT person to commicate with your US employees. Just fuels my belief that despite what I have been told, you have NO intention of keeping me on as an employee long-term. This is just common sense, which in my opinion most of your decisions so far seem to be greatly lacking! P.S. Sure ...

HIPAA Violation? My HMO's Records Dept Accidentally Sent
Jan 10, 2015

instead of my own.  I called and told the person (it was the exact person that I had send the records)  and he acted like it was no big deal -- he just goes, "oh could you bring that back here today?"  Of course I will bring them back, but I think it was funny how he made it seem like there was nothing wrong with the scenario.  He probably thought I had no idea about HIPAA.  ...

What Dept Is Notified When A Patient Leaves AMA With Equipment Attached
Oct 12, 2011

? ...

S/l "palasiffy" State Or "palesippy" State
Feb 05, 2010

patient is depressed and stressed over being a college student in a "palesippy" state??? Any help would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!! Abby ...

Pay Per State
Apr 28, 2010

I wonder if the cpl is equal throughout all states.  If someone living in NY or CA  gets 10 cpl, that same 10 cpl in Arkansas would be worth twice as much. ...

Labor Day
Sep 01, 2014

Today is paid at time and a half correct? ...

State Of The Malunion
Apr 15, 2010

I Googled "medical transcription quality India" and received 671,000 results to choose from.  Indian companies are courting hospitals, doctors, and law firms in America and several other countries in order to get their business. American MTSOs that don't outsource really need to publicize it and American based transcriptionists would do well to show their solidarity by working for such companies.  It is not just MQ.  The industry is apparently wounded in t ...

Moving To Another State
May 06, 2011

I'm thinking about moving to another state which is pretty far from where I am now.  Does anyone know if I could keep my current accounts, or will MQ require I switch to a local hospital account in the area I'll be moving to?  ...

Sad, Sad State Of Affairs
Dec 02, 2011

All the threads about fighting to get paid minimum wage (you go, girls!) make me incredibly sad.  So I started reminiscing about my early days in the profession.... In the good ole days, we were paid a fair, decent rate. In the good ole days, we got to interact with the docs we transcribed for.  If you had a blank, he would tell you what it was! In the good ole days, we got an extra paycheck and a generous gift for Christmas.  (One year I got a small cooler filled with seafood ...

Registering As An IC With Your State
Mar 23, 2012

I found out that the goverment is putting a stop to treating ICs as employees and ICs are not getting employee benefits.  I was told today that the new laws require and IC to register under a trade name in their State. There is no license involved. I tried to get info on line on how to do it but no luck. The offices are closed now so I will have to wait until Monday.  As anyone else done this.  ...

You Know, The State Next To Louisiana
Dec 19, 2012

I think this has got to be my new handle. ...