A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

AHDI tax question - sm

Posted: Mar 17, 2015

Just wondering if anybody knows whether you can claim the money you spend to attend AHDI webinars to keep your CHDS (formerly CMT) certification or not.  Seems like I saw it discussed here once, but I don't remember the details.  

If you are an IC...SM - Old Anon

[ In Reply To ..]
The expense of professional development can be listed on Schedule C under other expenses.

Thank you for this helpful information! - nm

[ In Reply To ..]

Similar Messages:

AHDI BOS
Dec 04, 2010

What is the most recent AHDI BOS?  Is it the 3rd edition?  What has changed from the 2nd to the 3rd edition.  When will a new edition come out and will it be AHDI? Thanks in advance, Barb ...

What I Want From AHDI
Jun 14, 2012

People ask me what I want from AHDI or if it's worth being a member. I am a member. I ask myself why I still pay my membership dues and what I hope to get in return for that money. That's a tough question. Years ago I learned from their journal. I met lots of great people at conventions and seminars. Then the journal and web site started being more promotional instead of educational or professional. There was always something new that was going to change our lives if we would just sig ...

Thank You AHDI
Sep 10, 2013

MMODAL for taking my profession of being a skilled worker making a living rate, and turning it into a menial, pull them off the street, minimum wage worker. We are the new gutter rats. I have no good will toward this company any longer, and as for AHDI (only a fool joins them), I think you know what you can do, ditto MM. ...

AHDI BOS 3
Oct 10, 2014

I recently began a new position where they adhere to the AHDI Book of Style 3 guidelines.  Obviously, not having used this version before I was not aware one of the wonderful changes AHDI has made.  I understand AHDI exists to set the standards as one of their main objectives.  I also was under the assumption that AHDI had been made up primarily of MTs (at least that is who made them to start with) and has grown to include MTSOs.  What I find so infuriating and baffling at t ...

Here Is My Correspondence With AHDI
Mar 03, 2010

I got this note from a guy named Doggett in response to a note I sent to ADHI about throwing roadblocks in front of MTs to getting work and earning a decent living: "On March 24, AHDI members and staff will go to Capitol Hill to speak with their federal legislators, key members of the House and Senate, and administrative agency officials about the critical need for “meaningful use” and EHR certification regulations to recognize how medical transcriptionists work hard to ensure the a ...

AHDI Membership
Apr 19, 2010

Can anyone help me register for the AHDI membership.  I haven't done this yet and can't figure it out.  I'm so confused.  When I go to the web page and try to register it keeps wanting me to pay $135.  Isn't this supposed to be free now with MQ? ...

AHDI An Advocate?
May 24, 2010

I went to the AHDI web site to see if they might actually be an advocate for transcriptionists, who are always at the bottom of the ladder in most companies.  We are the worker bees and there all the queens, who reign supreme.  Imagine my surprise when at the top of the screen, there is a banner for Transcend, advertising that "they are always looking"   ... How can an organization that espouses to care about transcriptionists advocate for a specific company ... I k ...

AHDI RENEWAL
Jul 11, 2010

??  Is it worth it?  At $135 I think they are getting a bit greedy......I'm just sending out feelers.  Money is tight and I just don't know if it is worth it at this point in time. ...

How Does Ahdi Want July 4th?
Aug 30, 2010

When a Dr is dictating about "July 4th" is it correct to say July 4th? or should it be transcribed as July Fourth? ...

AHDI And RMT Exam
Dec 05, 2010

I will be graduating from TTC's Medical Transcription class soon so I am now wondering if I should join AHDI and if I should take the RMT.  I have read the information on the AHDI site which of course points to the pros of both. But I have also read posts from seasoned MTs who have not joined AHDI and some of them say that taking the RMT (or CMT for that matter) carries very little, if any, weight when locating a job. I know if you join AHDI while in school you get a discount on member ...

Goodbye, AHDI!
Jan 13, 2011

When I was a medical transcription student last winter at a local two-year college, most of us students joined AHDI at the encouragement of our instructors. My membership has expired and in today's mail was a membership renewal request from AHDI. I tossed it in the trash. I can't afford the membership because I can't get a job because AHDI supports offshoring of medical transcription jobs. Goodbye, AHDI. ...

AHDI Rule
Feb 10, 2011

What is BOS ruling on using the word "post" when typing (for example) status postcholecystectomy?  Where in BOS is this found? ...

Shame On You AHDI
Jul 17, 2012

They try to get you to certify as an MT, join our organization they say, some companies (although not many anymore) want you to be a CMT, yet as I went onto the website to look something up, Indian transcription companies are advertising on the Benchmark website?  How is that supporting the American MTs and you want us to pay you money every year?  Shame on you.  You will never get any of my money or support.  ...

Why Is AHDI A Scam, You Ask?
Aug 28, 2012

It was a get-rich scheme from the very beginning. Brilliant, really. Except that when they championed the offshoring of our work, and the lowering of our wages, they made it so that most MTs with anything between the ears but empty space would question the value of the BOS, the validity of the CMT, and the very existence of this so-called "for-the-MTs" organization. S - Superficial,C - Contrived,A - andM - Meritless! ...

AHDI Advocating
Sep 08, 2012

too little too late.  Sounds like a ploy to increase membership.  ...

AHDI Strikes Again
Nov 02, 2012

I was looking for the BOS, 3rd edition.  This only comes in the book format and on-line yearly subscription.  It does not come on a CD-ROM.  So, at the yearly price of $30, they charge you over and over again for something that we all know won't be updated until they decide to present the 4th edition.  What a bunch of scam artists.  I guess I'm stuck with a book -- how archaic.  Another validation for my having dropped my membership to this group that ju ...

Another AHDI Goodie...
Dec 04, 2013

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/tom-lowery/7-ways-outsourcing-can-he_b_4350244.html I especially like reason #2. Pardon me while I don't agree with this garbage. ...

AAMT/AHDI
Mar 19, 2014

What is even the PURPOSE of the AAMT/AHDI or whatever they call themselves now?  They are in no way representative of me or any other MT that I know and in fact have been a key factor in the demise of medical transcription in my opinion.  A bunch of no life having harridans trying and unfortunately succeeding in making themselves relevant.  In other news, several fellow MTs have written to their state reps regarding offshoring and were told that inquiries into the matter reve ...

Anybody Going To AHDI Annual?
Jul 22, 2014

x ...

AHDI -- My HDS Story
May 20, 2015

They really want to hear our HDS stories?  Then let's tell them.   http://www.ahdionline.org/GetConnected/Events/NationalMedicalTranscriptionistWeek/tabid/185/Default.aspx ...

Shouldn't AHDI Be Telling MQ
Mar 02, 2010

this is a very dangerous thing to do for patient care? ...

AAMT/AHDI Sellouts?
Mar 03, 2010

I read a lot of negative stuff on this board about AAMT/AHDI - how they're screwing MTs here at home.  Can someone explain?  When I was taking the Career Step course all I ever heard were glowing comments about the RMT/CMT exams, Benchmark, etc. -  so I'm a little surprised to read the negative comments here.  I know that this industry is going down the tubes for lots of reasons, corporate greed probably being #1, and if AAMT/AHDI is a party to this, I'd like t ...

Was Told That AHDI Said Transcriptionists Should Be
Mar 23, 2010

able to do any type of transcription.  Not sure if that is tier 3 or any transcriptionist, but AHDI is not a friend of the MT.  AHDI and MQ are certainly in bed together and against the MT.  ...

Question About The AHDI Benefits
Apr 08, 2010

hey all, hows it going?  long time no see?  i'm happily an ex medquister since almost a year ago. what i'm wondering is i'm just now getting around to checking out our big prizes from that lawsuit, i've put in the user id they gave us and i put in medquist as the password just like it says to do, and it tells me i'm all wrong....argh!  anyone else have this problem?  thanks!   ...

I Didn't Want A Membership To AHDI.
Apr 22, 2010

But now I automatically have one?  Even if I don't register, AHDI now has my home address (we JUST moved here a week ago, so they got it directly from MQ).  They have my MQ email address (they keep sending me emails). I feel this is a huge violation of my privacy.  I didn't want this stupid membership in the first place, and for MQ to give out my information like that just doesn't seem right at all!   Peed off. ...

From The AHDI Website...they Should Tell MQ It's There In Print.
Apr 28, 2010

Speech Recognition Editing   Performing SRT editing successfully requires a somewhat more specialized skillset than that involved in traditional, manual transcription. There is a different eye/ear/brain coordination dynamic at work in SRT editing compared to transcribing, which often makes it more challenging to identify errors in an SRT-draft document. It is more common in SRT editing for the brain to be "tricked" into thinking that the eye has seen what the ear has heard, due to the lac ...

AHDI BOOK OF STYLE
Aug 12, 2010

Can anyone tell me any of the new changes in the AHDI book of style. ? ...

Did Not Attend An AHDI School
Sep 11, 2010

I attended an online medical transcription certificate program that was not approved by the AHDI, because I simply could not afford the approved schools.  Are there any MTs out there that did the same and are gainfully employed especially at entry level? ...

If AHDI Ever Manages To Take Over Coding, What Do
Oct 02, 2010

Codist?   ...

AHDI - Mandatory Credentialing
Aug 31, 2011

AHDI is seeking public comments on proposed changes to its model curriculum. One of those changes is a requirement that ONLY CMTs be allowed to work as Instructors at AHDI approved schools. Knowing that the vast majority of experienced MTs (and AHDI members) do not have their CMT, we wanted to make sure everyone has an opportunity to provide their feedback to AHDI on this subject. To see this and the other propsed changes to the model curriculum, click here: http://www.ahdionline.org/portals/0/ ...