A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

From the AHDI website...they should tell MQ it's there in print. - mrs.krabs

Posted: Apr 28, 2010

Speech Recognition Editing

Performing SRT editing successfully requires a somewhat more specialized skillset than that involved in traditional, manual transcription. There is a different eye/ear/brain coordination dynamic at work in SRT editing compared to transcribing, which often makes it more challenging to identify errors in an SRT-draft document. It is more common in SRT editing for the brain to be "tricked" into thinking that the eye has seen what the ear has heard, due to the lack of the tactile component of the fingers manipulating the keyboard to make the text characters appear on the screen. It is a common misconception that SRT editing is somehow easier than manual transcription or requires less knowledge and skill; this is most certainly not the case. It is true that the physical demands are somewhat decreased with SRT editing, as it does not require as much keyboarding, but the mental demands of SRT editing are greater, requiring more intense focus and concentration.

Compensation for SRT Editors

The methods and rates of compensation for SRT editors vary greatly, as is true for medical transcriptionists in general. Some employers pay an hourly rate, with or without benefits; others pay on production, by the line or character or some other unit of measure, again with or without benefits. Compensation for SRT editors working on production is often less per unit than for transcribing, with the assumption being that editing SRT is faster than manual transcription and therefore editors can process a greater number of lines, characters, etc., in the same amount of time. While this may be true to one degree or another, it is not unusual to find that the increase in productivity with SRT does not make up for the lower compensation rate, with the end result being that editing pays less than manual transcription. This is clearly inequitable, given that SRT editing is in some ways even more demanding than manual transcription.

MTs should evaluate SRT editing positions very carefully before signing a long-term contract, since it may not be known until after the fact whether or not the rate of compensation for an editing position is adequate. Again, for an editing position that pays on production, the rate per unit itself is not the key factor; it is the level of productivity you achieve that will determine your actual compensation for a given period of time. If the compensation for SRT editing is half the rate for manual transcription, an MT must be able to process at least twice as many lines, characters, etc., in a given period of time in order to receive an equivalent compensation. Whether or not this is a realistic goal depends a great deal upon the accuracy of the speech recognition application and the user-friendliness of the transcription software and whether or not it allows the use of macros, text expanders and spell checkers, etc.

In other words, we are all being cheated out of pay with VR.  Rate should be the same as with straight transcription.  Mental labor is equal to physical labor in my book, maybe even more. 

I've always found ASR harder - whoopeecushion

[ In Reply To ..]
than straight typing. In fact, I notice I started to get migraines again. Straight typing is much easier - I can type exactly what is being dictated, don't have to scrutinize every single - little - tiny dot - dash - comma - period. I've also heard that the normal human being reads by bunching words and syllables together, not by scrutinizing every single - little - tiny - dot - dash - comma, but to read ASR the way we're supposed to, we have to slow way down and read every single - little - tiny dot - dash - comma. God forbid we should even blink. That results in a CRITICAL ERROR.

ASR - as we know it

[ In Reply To ..]
is much more mentally draining IMO. I have never had as much wrist pain as I do now either. This is after 2 years solid years of 95% ASR.

When I think back to all the promises that were made about ASR, increasing our productivity, saving our hands, etc., it makes me want to puke.

Definitely more wrist and hand pain with ASR - hurting MT

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm so glad to finally hear somebody else say this because I have definitely started hurting after switching over to ASR. I've been an MT for many years and have had NEVER had ANY problems with my hands or wrists. And I still don't with straight typing. But about 9 months to a year after starting ASR editing, the pain in my hands, wrist and forearms started gradually getting worse and worse.

They may have figured on saving themselves a bunch money by cutting our pay to peanuts with the switch over to ASR, but for at least some of us, I guess they might actually end up paying more in the long run through disability and on the job injury claims.

Similar Messages:

Is There Any Place On Mmodal Global Website Where I Can Print Out The Minimum Audit Scores?
Mar 22, 2013

I want to print out just in case I need proof. Anyone have a website or anywhere on the internet where it states that what their audit scores are for employment? ...

Can We Print Out Our W2's
Jan 18, 2013

Does anybody know if we can print out our fax forms this year?  I havn't seen them on ADP website yet and I have not received any emails about this topic. ...

Print And Delivery
Jan 24, 2011

Do any of you print out the dictation for your clinics and deliver them?  If so what do you charge for that, if anything?  If you do not, what to you think is a fair charge for this service?  My clinic (5-7 providers daily transcribed) is about 2 miles away from my house. Thank you.   ...

Needing Help Pdq. I Got A Job And I Need To Print
Oct 28, 2011

some stuff, but no working printer.  I was thinking someone said I could go somewhere to get the stuff printed, but I am not sure where to go or how to go about getting the stuff printed?  I mean (hope I am explaining this clearly enough) how to get the attachments on my email somewhere that I can get the paperwork printed.  Thanks for any help!! ...

If & Is Not Allowed To Be Use Why Does ASR Print It
Jul 18, 2012

x ...

If Ms. Is Incorrect Why Does ASR Print It?
May 22, 2015

x ...

Holy Cow. 66 Pages To Print Out
Nov 23, 2009

for the MDI merg-ees.  That used about 1/2 printer cartridge, took at least an hour of time and I have yet to fill them out.  This working at home is getting more expensive and aggravating all the time. ...

The Print On Printer Just Too Small
Jan 25, 2010

Have XP Dell and use Word Office to type up letters and such. No matter how large the print is on the screen of my monitor, when I print it off it is so minute you can hardly see. I have no idea how to set the printer to have larger print. Can anyone give me some assistance? TIA ...

Possible To Print Out A List Of Your Expansions
Oct 26, 2012

Would anyone know if it is possible to print out a list of your expansions ? ...

Is There Any Way To View And Print Out Your List
Feb 24, 2014

Yes, I have a legally purchased copy installed on my own computer.  I would like to view the contents as a list and compare what's already on there to what I have.  I'm re-creating my own autocorrect entries from memory on a new computer. ...

I Need To Print A Pay Statement But Can't View
Feb 11, 2015

to contact regarding this?  Do we need to be in a specific browser in order to view/print?  I tried in IE and Firefox Mozilla, and when I click on the date I want to view/print, nothing happens.  ...

Where Can We Find In Print What Our Line Rate Is?
Oct 14, 2012

I don't see it anywhere on my paystub. ?? I forgot what exactly my rate is. Thanks in Advance! ...

Did The Headline Print Get Turned Yellow?
Jan 28, 2014

or did my machine do some freaky change?  I can't seem to get it back and can't read the yellow without putting my cursor over it.  ...

For Larger Print When Reading Forum
Aug 09, 2014

When reading this forum or when on ANY Internet site, if you are having trouble because the print is too small, hold down your Ctrl key while using the scroll on the mouse. Moving the mouse "wheel" up will enlarge the print; moving the mouse wheel down will make it smaller. This pretty much works on anything except for e-mails. Don't forget to keep the Ctrl key held down while you are doing this. ...

Dictaphone C-phone - Where I Can Print Instructions / Programming
Oct 30, 2009

Dumb question, but I have not used my dictaphone C-phone for years and I forget how to use it. Is there someplace where I can print instructions on programing and use of this? Thanks, Ronni ...

New Drug Book Suggestions? Saunders Out Of Print Now.
Feb 07, 2013

The Saunders Pharmaceutical Word Book is no longer being published.     Does anyone else have a drug reference they like that they use?  (And please don't point me to websites - I know the websites...I also like to have an actual, physical book handy, as well.)   Thanks!! ...

Do Any Of You Use Sticky Paper To Print Chart Notes?
Jul 23, 2013

I am beginning to transcribe for a new local physician.  I've been an MT for 20 years, have had my own clients & have worked for the nationals - but I've never printed onto sticky paper.  The office manager gave me a whole pack of it.  It has 11 perforated sections from top to bottom, with about a 1-inch margin on right and left. Is there some sort of a template for Microsoft word that will print correctly onto each section? I don't see a name brand on the pac ...

Is There A Way To Print Out The Submitted Request Window In Remedy?
Aug 02, 2013

It's tedious taking screen shots. ...

How To Print A List Of Words In Stedman's Smartype?
Nov 10, 2014

First time writing.  Not sure I am in the right "section."  Does anyone know how to print a list of words in Stedman's Smartype??  Thanks!   ...

Did I Totally Miss It, Or Does The Tiny Print Ad By Nicole Webb Nm
Sep 21, 2012

AHDI BOS
Dec 04, 2010

What is the most recent AHDI BOS?  Is it the 3rd edition?  What has changed from the 2nd to the 3rd edition.  When will a new edition come out and will it be AHDI? Thanks in advance, Barb ...

What I Want From AHDI
Jun 14, 2012

People ask me what I want from AHDI or if it's worth being a member. I am a member. I ask myself why I still pay my membership dues and what I hope to get in return for that money. That's a tough question. Years ago I learned from their journal. I met lots of great people at conventions and seminars. Then the journal and web site started being more promotional instead of educational or professional. There was always something new that was going to change our lives if we would just sig ...

Thank You AHDI
Sep 10, 2013

MMODAL for taking my profession of being a skilled worker making a living rate, and turning it into a menial, pull them off the street, minimum wage worker. We are the new gutter rats. I have no good will toward this company any longer, and as for AHDI (only a fool joins them), I think you know what you can do, ditto MM. ...

AHDI BOS 3
Oct 10, 2014

I recently began a new position where they adhere to the AHDI Book of Style 3 guidelines.  Obviously, not having used this version before I was not aware one of the wonderful changes AHDI has made.  I understand AHDI exists to set the standards as one of their main objectives.  I also was under the assumption that AHDI had been made up primarily of MTs (at least that is who made them to start with) and has grown to include MTSOs.  What I find so infuriating and baffling at t ...

Here Is My Correspondence With AHDI
Mar 03, 2010

I got this note from a guy named Doggett in response to a note I sent to ADHI about throwing roadblocks in front of MTs to getting work and earning a decent living: "On March 24, AHDI members and staff will go to Capitol Hill to speak with their federal legislators, key members of the House and Senate, and administrative agency officials about the critical need for “meaningful use” and EHR certification regulations to recognize how medical transcriptionists work hard to ensure the a ...

AHDI Membership
Apr 19, 2010

Can anyone help me register for the AHDI membership.  I haven't done this yet and can't figure it out.  I'm so confused.  When I go to the web page and try to register it keeps wanting me to pay $135.  Isn't this supposed to be free now with MQ? ...

AHDI An Advocate?
May 24, 2010

I went to the AHDI web site to see if they might actually be an advocate for transcriptionists, who are always at the bottom of the ladder in most companies.  We are the worker bees and there all the queens, who reign supreme.  Imagine my surprise when at the top of the screen, there is a banner for Transcend, advertising that "they are always looking"   ... How can an organization that espouses to care about transcriptionists advocate for a specific company ... I k ...

AHDI RENEWAL
Jul 11, 2010

??  Is it worth it?  At $135 I think they are getting a bit greedy......I'm just sending out feelers.  Money is tight and I just don't know if it is worth it at this point in time. ...

How Does Ahdi Want July 4th?
Aug 30, 2010

When a Dr is dictating about "July 4th" is it correct to say July 4th? or should it be transcribed as July Fourth? ...

AHDI And RMT Exam
Dec 05, 2010

I will be graduating from TTC's Medical Transcription class soon so I am now wondering if I should join AHDI and if I should take the RMT.  I have read the information on the AHDI site which of course points to the pros of both. But I have also read posts from seasoned MTs who have not joined AHDI and some of them say that taking the RMT (or CMT for that matter) carries very little, if any, weight when locating a job. I know if you join AHDI while in school you get a discount on member ...