A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

AHDI Rule - MJT

Posted: Feb 10, 2011

What is BOS ruling on using the word "post" when typing (for example) status postcholecystectomy?  Where in BOS is this found?

Wrong place - MT

[ In Reply To ..]
http://forum.mtstars.com/302416.html

see message - BOS 3 - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Section - 6.5.8 Prefixes and Suffixes

Do not use a hyphen after common prefixes except when they precede a proper noun, a capitalized word, or an abbreviation: ante-, anti-, bi-, co-, contra-, counter-, de-, extra-, infra-, intra-, micro-, mid-, non-, over-, peri-, pre-, post-, pro-, pseudo-, re-, semi-, sub-, super-, supra-, trans-, tri-, ultra-, un-, and under-.

EXAMPLE

antimicrobial
posttraumatic
overproduction
comorbidity
preoperative
perimenopausal

Use a hyphen after a prefix when the unhyphenated word would have a different meaning.

EXAMPLE

re-creation, recreation
re-treat, retreat
un-ionized, unionized

Use a hyphen after a prefix or before a suffix to avoid an unusual or awkward combination of letters, as in repetitive vowels or three of the same consonants sequentially.

EXAMPLE

anti-inflammatory
bell-like
de-emphasize

Similar Messages:

Mom's Rule
May 21, 2012

Has anyone ever heard of the verbiage "follow Mom's rule" in ER plan of care??  Physician states, "he is to follow Mom's rule"....... ...

Rule For Adding A
Mar 24, 2010

Hello. It might just be too early but can someone tell me the rule as to when to add A?  Like the doc says HISTORY: 72-year-old woman who..... Should I be adding A to the beginning? HISTORY:  A 72-year-old...   ...

SIRS Rule Out PTI S/l
Sep 18, 2010

In the diagnosis section this doc says "SIRS.  Rule out s/l PTI."  So, I found SIRS (systemic inflammatory response syndrome) but I can't find out what s/l PTI is to go along with it.  Any ideas? ...

Rule Changed?
Jun 29, 2011

murmurs, gallops, or rubs  OR  murmurs, gallops or rubs? I am old school and taught that the first is correct, but I waste a huge amount of time and keystrokes correcting this and other instances like this.  I looked at the AAMT link, but really didn't get a sufficient answer if the second is OK to leave as that is the preferred way ASR puts it; however, every grammar site I looked at online puts the additional comma in. ...

ESL Rule Of Thumb
Nov 17, 2011

As American-born, English-speaking doctors are becoming the minority, I think all companies should openly state what percentage of ESL will be encountered in a new job and then ask 1 year of experience for each percentage of ESL; e.g. 40% ESL (the maximum I can personally tolerate) 4 years experience plus a differential in the line rate, too. What do y'all think? ...

AAMT Rule
May 16, 2012

dictated: levothyroxine 1200 micrograms daily transcribed: levothyroxine 1200 mcg daily   is this correct? pls help. ...

Assessment: Rule Out S/l Wad-dey-o
Dec 24, 2012

EMS responding to a patient who just had ablation for SVT last week and is complaining of weakness and dizziness. Cannot find with much searching. Thanks for your help! ...

CMS Final Rule
Jan 30, 2013

This was published in the Federal Register last week, correct?  I have a friend who is in a battle with an insurance company over a very sick child.  They are always throwing up obstacles for coverage. She told me that out-of-network treatment is covered at 50% of 200% of Medicare rates.  So we are trying to uncover exactly what that rate is.  Is the CMS Final Rule document what  I am looking for to help her? Is Coder here?  Expert insight would be so appreciated ...

New 6-minute Rule-sm
Aug 14, 2013

When you get NJA you have the 3 options as we did before.  When you choose to "make up time", at the very end of the explaination, it says something along the line of entering a leave request on teamwork for excused no pay?  This only makes sense if in fact you cannot or do not make up the time, but the policy does not explain it that way.  Example:  You work 2 hours and get NJA.  You have 6 hours to make up and can only make up 4.  The remaining 2 hours must be en ...

What Is The New Rule For How Many Days Off Without Pay
Nov 24, 2013

I really don't see what it matters now that we don't get PTO and if we aren't getting paid for it so what. Seems stupid to me that they would care how much time we have off if they aren't paying us anyway but anyone know now the most days you can take for the year part time and full time?  I know they took away PTO for part timers and cut it for full time but wasn't sure of the new rules. Also, when does it start over again if you used up your unpaid time off days. ...

Does Anyone Know Offhand MM's Rule If
Aug 26, 2014

no patient name is given?  Do we transcribe it as "UNKNOWN, NAME" or "NO NAME, GIVEN" etc?  Or where this info is located?  I've searched DQS guidelines and TSG and can't seem to find it.  TIA! ...

Help Please Im Looking Can't Find The Rule
Feb 09, 2015

Do I need to put a marker in there as a warning. I totally forgot and never usually get this..checking the guides now coming up empty ...

Rule-out Sepsis Work-up
Jan 10, 2010

A rule-out sepsis work-up for an infant .... are the hyphens correct? Where can I find the correct use of the hyphens? Thank You! ...

New Rule For MDs: If You Cannot Pronounce It, You Cannot Prescribe It, Nor --
Jan 28, 2010

-- can you treat it.  Certainly, you can't get paid for doing anything with it.  So, study up, doc. ...

Does Anyone Know Current BOS Rule For Height?
Oct 22, 2011

I know the 2nd edition says no comma between 5 feet 5 inches, for example. Does anyone have the current BOS edition and knows if this is still the same? ...

My BOS Is Old -- What's The Current Rule/standard Wrt To:
Sep 11, 2014

apostrophes?  eg. ADLs or ADL's I gather that the move to make hard-measured units (rather than eyeballed measuired -- such as:  a 5-mm screw versus a 5 mm laceration -- died years ago. Is this correct? I'm anticipating doing some testing for a new position and don't want to fail this sort of "basics" Thanks!     ...

Supra- Versus Supero- Is There A Rule?
May 18, 2010

I just had a report sent back by a doc where she had corrected every superotemporal and inferotemporal to supra- and infra-.  I was actually going by what my spell-checker was telling me.  Is either of these never used?  Is there a rule for usage?  Thanks in advance! ...

HIPAA Re-release Or Re-disclosure Rule Anyone?
Sep 07, 2011

I've had a clinic in WA state refuse to release to me or my new PCP some archived files I had sent to them from my doctor in San Francisco.  A local hospital MR department said that the files are mine since I paid for them and that they absolutely should have told me why they were refusing to release these particular files--I was just repeatedly refused.  I was told that there is a HIPAA clause that permits re-release of such documents, but I'm having trouble finding t ...

Cardiac Patient, Rule Out UTE Disease-sm
May 29, 2012

it sounds like UTE disease, what is this?  Thank you. ...

BOS Rule For Drug Names In All Caps?
Mar 28, 2013

Does anyone know the BOS rule for drug names that are technically all caps, i.e., TUMS, GRALISE?  Do they stay all caps or is it okay to capitalize just the first letter, or is it company/client preference?  QA is telling me just to capitalize the first letter so as not to draw more attention than needed to the drug name in the report, but I can't document this in the Book of Style.  Thanks in advance! ...

QA Submission - Apparently Client Rule Reports
Jan 17, 2011

that are sent to QA, the ones you are forced to send due to the client wanting all reports QA's, a certain dictator, etc....I was just reading in the "Rewards" Plan that these reports are NOT counted towards our QA submission . I have read posts here where MTs were frustrated because they thought they WERE.  Please read (I think page 10 but not sure) where it says they are NOT.  If you feel yours are counting against you, copy and paste the paragraph and send it to your CCM.  ...

Did They Change The Rule About Not Starting A Sentence With A Number?
Jul 15, 2011

I'm just curious as I'm seeing it constantly now.  For decades, I have always been trained and told never to start a sentence with a number and to spell it out or add something like the work A or The like: The 20-year-old patient... instead of:  20-year-old patient...  I've been correcting it, but since I'm seeing it all the time, I'm wondering if this rule isn't followed anymore and, if this rule is still in place, they need to start training these ...

S/l Solving This Rule Out Seizure Versus Concussion
Sep 28, 2011

This is an ER Note for guy with alcohol poisoning.  last heading of the dictation, dr states what s/l solving this.  Never seen as heading, cannot find anything near.  solviness? Would think the heading would be impression or something similar... ...

Bilateral Feet @-ray: Rule Arches, No Abnormalities.
Oct 02, 2012

Has anyone heard of "rule" arches?  Is this correct? ...

Dr. Says..An MR Study Is Performed To Rule Out Avascular Necrosis Of The Left Hip
Nov 23, 2009

Does he mean an MRI? ...

Please Help - "EGD Is Done To Rule Out Varices, S/l Melicies, S/l Stero-esophagitis, Or Peptic
Mar 16, 2010

nm ...

Ivs Slip ???? To Rule Out Monoclonal Gammopathy; Also Responsible For His High Creatinine.
Jul 29, 2011

Cannot find what kind of test doc is saying.  Any help would be appreciated!   ...

AHDI BOS
Dec 04, 2010

What is the most recent AHDI BOS?  Is it the 3rd edition?  What has changed from the 2nd to the 3rd edition.  When will a new edition come out and will it be AHDI? Thanks in advance, Barb ...

What I Want From AHDI
Jun 14, 2012

People ask me what I want from AHDI or if it's worth being a member. I am a member. I ask myself why I still pay my membership dues and what I hope to get in return for that money. That's a tough question. Years ago I learned from their journal. I met lots of great people at conventions and seminars. Then the journal and web site started being more promotional instead of educational or professional. There was always something new that was going to change our lives if we would just sig ...

Thank You AHDI
Sep 10, 2013

MMODAL for taking my profession of being a skilled worker making a living rate, and turning it into a menial, pull them off the street, minimum wage worker. We are the new gutter rats. I have no good will toward this company any longer, and as for AHDI (only a fool joins them), I think you know what you can do, ditto MM. ...