A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

AHDI BOOK OF STYLE - TTS

Posted: Aug 12, 2010

Can anyone tell me any of the new changes in the AHDI book of style. ?

AHDI changes its BOS more often than most people - change their sox & underwear. -nm-

[ In Reply To ..]

They've had three editions published in how many years? - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

AHDI Book of Style 3 - Curious

[ In Reply To ..]

Stupid Question – how does AHDI let you know what changes they make to new Editions of the Book of Style?

I never had to use the BOS before because my company did not adhere strictly to it, so I never bothered to buy BOS 1 or BOS 2 even though I have been a Medical Transcriptionist for over 20 years.

But, when I got free access to the online version of BOS 3 by virtue of the settlement with MedQuist, I started reading over it since it appears that many of the tests on MTTEST seem to follow it and I wanted to become familiar with things that I do differently than what the BOS recommends.
After reading through the entire 28 chapters (564 subsections) I could only find 2 instances where they stated:  "Note:   This represents a change in recommendation from that outlined in the 2nd edition of this text." 

So, back to my stupid question.  If they come up with a BOS 4 before I retire, how will they let people who have been following the BOS 3 know about the changes/updates (or did they actually only change 2 things between BOS 2 and BOS 3, and make everyone buy a new copy)? 

Does anyone know the actual number of changes from BOS 2 and BOS 3 (I may have to re-read it to see if I can find all of them and see what words they use to indicate a change).  

Please feel free to Email me if you feel more comfortable replying in that manner.  

THANK YOU All. 

Changes in BOS 3 - jeannieb

[ In Reply To ..]
Page xiv of the Preface in the front of BOS 3 shows the notable changes.

Guess no one is willing to tell you. I do not - have the money to S/M

[ In Reply To ..]
purchase the book, so I can't help you.

Similar Messages:

AHDI Book Of Style 3rd Edition
Nov 11, 2011

Can anyone tell me where I can get a copy of the AHDI the cheapest, or at least under 70 bucks? Thanks! ...

AHDI Book Of Style Needed
Nov 13, 2013

I am desperately looking for 3rd edition AHDI Book of Style. I posted here versus classified hoping it would be sooner by someone who had one to get rid of quicker. Thanks in advance. ...

Does M*Modal Follow AHDI Book Of Style?
Feb 08, 2013

I ask this because in my pre-employment test with M*Modal, I got dictations where they dictated the wrong punctuation and I edited it according to the AHDI Book of Style, which is one of my chief references when transcribing. I got a reply back from M*Modal saying that my results of their pre-employment test "did not match their criteria", whatever that means. I got the same reply from Acusis, another company that rejected me on the grounds that my results "didn't make the cut."  Was ...

BOS - New Book Of Style?
Jul 16, 2012

Anyone know when they are coming out with a new Book of Style?  I am afraid to buy the 3rd edition since it is from 2008.  Thanks. ...

Anybody NOT Using 3rd Book Of Style?
May 04, 2014

Please tell where you work so I can apply there -- seriously -- sick of ridiculous QA. ...

How Many MTs Use The Book Of Style?
Nov 07, 2014

How many MTs use the Book of Style?  Am I the only one who thinks this is a total rip off just like dues to the former AAMT were?  Is not this self promotion to enrich oneself three times now and passing this propaganda off to MTSOs as the "industry standard?" I know I sure did not get a vote as to what is and what is not this so-called "industry standard" and have not used that book in years!  Poverty wages are now the "industry standard."  Who else is fed up with this load of BS? ...

Book Of Style Useless
Mar 16, 2011

It would seem that the AAMT/AHDI just look for ways to make money on their ole' book of style.  Changing from one term in one book, to using it differently in a second, and now the third is different from that.  What is the fourth going to do, go back to the first use.  Throw them all out. They don't know what they are doing.  Their transcription bible is useless to train from, and they charge a whole lot of money for useless. (Just a little frustrated, wouldn' ...

Book Of Style Version 3
Nov 02, 2011

I have a question for those working for a hospital as an employee in-house or at home.  I work at home for a hospital and we were told we must buy our own book of style version 3 but still expected to maintain high QA status.  There is only 1 book in-house for all to share.  I would think that the company should invest in buying each employee this book to improve production and it would be a positive move.  They refuse to do this.  I brought it up in a meeting and told t ...

Keyboard/Book Of Style
Nov 30, 2011

Thanks for the input. ...

Book Of Style Nonsense?
Jun 21, 2012

I have been working in transcription for 31 years.  What is the deal with all this Book of Style nonsence?  Doctors don't care if a comma is in the right place or not, or if a drug is capitalized or now.  They just want the correct measurements, dosages, symptoms, body part, etc. typed in the correct document on the correct patient. You ask a doctor what the Book of Style is and they would probably just give you a dumb look.  Who is making money off of this?   It's just the crazi ...

Changes In Book Of Style, 3rd Edition
Mar 05, 2014

Since I was terminated February 11, I have been reviewing some things in case I need to apply for some MT job in the future.  When I worked for M-Modal, I was supplied with Book of Style, 2nd edition.  I now have a copy of the 3rd edition, and they say some things are changed. They say changes have been made include dropping the period after courtesy titles like Dr. and Mr.  I always typed Dr. with a period in the report.  If it said patient was to follow up with Dr. Sm ...

Book Of Style - What Parts Are The Most Necessary To Bone Up On?
Jun 06, 2011

I just purchased the Book of Style.  II realize companies want you to be familiar with it, but what parts are the most necessary to bone up on?  It is a huge book.  Thaniks. ...

Book Of Style - What Is The Actual Title
Jun 08, 2011

What is the actual title of the Book of Style?  I see The Book of Style for Medical Transcription, 3rd Edition - Paperback (June 15, 2008) by Lea M. Sims and John H. Dirckx and I also see The AAMT Book of Style: A Searchable Medical Transcription Style Guide (2nd Edition) - CD-ROM (July 21, 2005) by American Association for Medical Transcription (AAMT). One is by AAMT and one is not - I am assuming the AAMT is the Book of Style everyone refers to?  I am buying this for someone and want to ...

Copy Of The Book Of Style On Enrich?
Jan 20, 2015

Is there a copy of the book of style on Enrich? I cannot for the life of me find it. I got dinged for an omission error because at the end of a list of allergies the dictator stated "parenthesis, details of allergies are not known, end parenthesis" and since it was a stand alone sentence, I left the parentheses off.  The transcription guidelines on Enrich for parenthesis say to refer to the book of style, but I can't find a copy. Thanks! ...

Where Can I Find The Book Of Style/MM Guidelines?
May 12, 2015

x ...

Book Of Style - Word Alcohol Always Used Instead Of Ethanol?
Mar 10, 2010

Is the   What is the Book of Style preference? ...

AAMT Book Of Style On MQCentral Maze??
Mar 19, 2014

Sent a new computer and I can't find AAMT Book of Style in MQCentral.  Does anyone happen to know where it is in the maze??? ...

AAMT Book Of Style To Be The Set Rules For Our Transcription Department?
Jan 19, 2010

I am currently looking for a new online job.  I have been doing medical transcription for nine years now but work for a small hospital.  I do not currently have, nor does my hospital require, the AAMT book of style to be the set rules for our transcription department.  We still use q.h.s. etc.  I recently had a job interview but blew it because the company requires their MTs to know the latest AAMT book of style front and back.  Is this a big deal to know this book word for word?  Wonderin ...

AAMT Book Of Style - Medications Numbered And Listed?
Apr 07, 2010

According to AAMT Book of style, are medications numbered and listed?? ...

Book Of Style 3rd Edition Versus 2nd Edition Question
May 25, 2014

I have a second edition versus a third edition Book of Style, which I cannot afford right now to buy.  Can someone help me and tell me what it saysabout putting meals/food.  This is a verbatim account and I typed what dr said but QA changed meals to food.  She left message  per BOS page 217.  This accouint I am is verbatim on samples from hospital that I noted headings were different from every MT.  I never what is right or wrong until it comes back from QA and the ...

ASR Style
Apr 18, 2010

Can anybody here explain to me why, when a dictator wants a slash between 2 words, ASR decides to put a space after the first word, then the slash, then a space before the second word?  We don't have enough things to pick and poke at here?  I'm afraid to give an example, you know, the privacy thing.  Let's just use generic.  ASR may be with this particular program, but it might put and / or hypertension instead of and/or hypertension.  It also li ...

Preferred Style?
Oct 18, 2010

Hello, I am wondering what is the preferred style when typing ranges for meds, as in every '1-2 ' or '1 to 2' or 'one to two' hours.   Thanks! ...

Anybody Else Get The New Style Guide?
Nov 02, 2011

Apparently this one is to be followed along with the BOS2, DQS Standards and Guildelines, and the CP.  I just don't understand why we can't use just one.  Most of the things in it are the same, but others are the opposite of what I've been taught and what the BOS2 says (for example, it is now okay to start a sentence with a number).  They at least explained what qualified verbatim is. ...

Should I Buy 2nd Or 3rd Edition Of AAMT Bk Of Style?
Nov 24, 2009

Do different medical transcription companies prefer 2nd or 3rd Book of Style? Seems as if I could buy a used 2nd edition from a website such as Amazaon cheaper than the 3rd edition, but I don't want to buy an edition that is not used by medical transcription companies. Your comments, please?  TIA- Jane ...

Question: Spine Style
Dec 12, 2011

For whatever reason, this information has just decided to take a vacation from my brain! When the doctor talks about "bilateral facet arthropathy at L4-5" …… should I make it "L4-L5"?   Thanks! ...

Letter Of Resignation - VR Style.
Jul 09, 2013

This was just too funny not to share!  :) To Wombs it May Concerta: I would like to deworm you cat eye am resounding from my apposition from the nuisance Company effective repeatedly. Thank you for the rapport of tougher impunity that you improvised me during my torture with your company.  If I can be of any resistance during this opposition, please field free 2 fret me know.   I would be graduate to dismiss you any day I can. ...

Style Question: Dr.s Bell And Reynolds
Feb 10, 2010

how would you type this:   ...refer to Dr.'s Bell and Reynolds ...refer to Dr.s Bell and Reynolds ...refer to Dr. Bell and Reynolds. Where does the plural go? make sense...     ...

Style/abbreviation In Diagnosis Question
Aug 11, 2011

Okay, normally I wouldn't leave an abbreviation in the diagnosis section of a report (or operation or procedure at the top of an operative report) without at least putting the expansion once in parentheses after it. Usually, the only time I leave it is when it's a trademark/brand name that is always used in abbreviation form. Well, now I have a dilemma. One of the procedures being performed is pulsed lavage with GU irrigant to some diabetic foot ulcers. Normally in the body of th ...

Block-style Vertical List
Sep 20, 2011

Does anyone have a sample of this?  I think it should just be: 1.    Hello 2.    Goodbye 3.    Etc. However, when I attempt to look it up, it seems much more complicated.    ...

Style Guides And The Craving For Conformity
Feb 14, 2012

I made a comment regarding the need to recognize the differences between both the processes and the reasonable expected outcomes with respect to the preparation of: 1.  Working trade documents - such as the medical record. 2.  Materials for publication, whether in journals or books. The comment is here:  http://forum.mtstars.com/378004.html I'd like to expand on what I said by first making two observations that I believe are highly relevant to this issue: First, the huma ...