A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

40-hour week definition - MT

Posted: Nov 09, 2010

I work in the medical transcription industry. My employer is in TN.  We are required to work 40 hours per week, and we are paid on the basis of lines of dictation we transcribe per day.  Many days there is not enough work during a shift (a shift given us by our employer) to complete our 8 hours of work.  This means that in order to comply with company request, we have to work 2 to 3 hours at night to complete our 40 hours, even though we have sat at our desks and continually checked to see if there is work in the hospital systems.  If not, our platform times us out after about 10 minutes.  This way we are working, on hold checking for work, but we are always informed that we must continue to work until we have 8 hours for a day. In some cases, this could take an extra 4 hours of work outside our shift to complete this request.  Is this legal?  Thanks for your time.

Probably not but (sm) - Long time MT

[ In Reply To ..]
Unless you report them to the Federal Wage and Hour Board, who will investigate, they will keep getting away with this sort of thing. The MT companies only get away with what we LET them get away with.

I was in that situation for months on end. - See Message

[ In Reply To ..]
I was actually looking for work for 14 hours a day, having to work nights and weekends in addition to my shift. When I contacted the Labor Board in my state they did tell me it was illegal. They said it was like asking a shoe sales clerk to clock out if there were no customers in the store. When I told my employer that I wanted to bring in a third party on this because I just could not do it any longer, I was promptly laid off. Since that time, I absolutely refuse to do that anymore. I do not mind a little flexing here and there, but if you do not have enough work to constitute a full time job for me, I am gone. When we run low at my company (smaller) around the holidays or bad weather, this down time is forgiven and they are reasonable about it.

I know exactly what you are speaking of though. I went through it for a very long time. I even asked that I be placed on another account where there was work. Nothing doing. I did not want to continue to give them unlimited time, not to mention that my income suffered greatly. They were the ones who over-hired in the first place. I did not quit because I had a lot invested as far as benefits and 4 weeks PTO. I was paid a nice severance package, and was granted UE without question, so I took my time and found the perfect fit for me. Hope you can do the same.

It is a total shame that this practice takes place at many companies. No work means no work and there is nothing the MT can do about that. What do they do about your full time status? You're part time and then you're not, part time and then not? You have benefits and then you don't, benefits again and then you don't. You have PTO and then you don't? BTW, I absolutely refused to use my PTO for those days when there was no work!!! Never!!! You need a company who does not play with people's lives like that.

Well said!!! We all really should stand up to these companies who - shortcake

[ In Reply To ..]
expect us to be available 24/7 even though we have to adhere to a schedule. I'm only PT but find myself sometimes struggling to make my line count during my shift. If the hit in the pocket is bad enough, the stress if you have something else going on after your shift will really kill you. There is power in numbers, and we are all alone in our home offices not being able to really communicate with coworkers and express our concerns for being treated unreasonably as a group and therefore we, with good reason, are afraid we will lose our jobs if we step up. I so agree with your post....

Similar Messages:

Definition Of Work Week For KS. . . . .
Mar 21, 2011

would anyone out there happen to know how Keystrokes defines a work week?  Does it start on Sun and go thru Sat or start on Mon and end Sun.  (I have been offered a position and would be curious as to the above).  Thanks!!!   ...

Just Wondering What You Make Per Hour, Based On A 40-hour Week...sm
Jul 26, 2013

I know none of us get paid by the hour, but I was just wondering if any of you have ever figured out just how much you earn per hour, based on a 40-hour week. I'm just trying to figure out where I fit in. I seem to be earning $16-18/hour give or take based on how my week goes.  ...

First Week SR, Made $5/hour. Can Someone Decipher What The Piecerates Mean?
Nov 06, 2011

nm ...

Would You Rather Be Paid $14 An Hour, 40 Hours A Week Or Production At 8 Cpl? Sm
Jun 06, 2012

I have been offered both, but I'm not sure what to do. ...

Making Line Quota In 40 Hour Week? Sm
Apr 17, 2013

I can't seem to do it, crappy account with lots of ESL. Are other folks working off the clock or is it permissible to be on the system until you reach quota? ...

Definition For Epi's
Nov 11, 2009

Does epi's stand for epithelial cells? I can't seem to find it, and I can't remember for sure if this is correct. Thanks in advance ...

Definition
Jan 16, 2013

I'm looking for a definition of Southern or Gibson-type approach?  Help and thank you! JT ...

What Is The Average Line Rate Per Hour Or Per 8 Hour Shift?
Apr 21, 2011

Hi:I am make incentive based on minutes, but I work on a system that lets me check how many lines and minutes I have typed in a day also. Just in case I have to get another job based on lines, I wanted to know what is the average amount of lines per hour or per 8 hour shift. Thanks for the advice in advance. MeL ...

Looking For IMSP Definition
Feb 04, 2010

Does anybody know what IMSP stands for (IMSP augmentation mammoplasty)? I cannot find this anywhere. Account wants abbreviations expanded. Thanx ...

Phrase Definition
Jul 30, 2012

Has anyone heard the phrase "office artifact"? It sounds like he's saying that or "off its artifact" and is referencing a tremor.  Any help is appreciated. ...

Go Live Definition
Oct 30, 2012

I'm new to this - what does "go live" actually mean?  Is it when it goes from strictly straight typing to VR?  Or is it when an MTSO gets a brand new acct?  Thanks! ...

My Definition Of FIESA
Apr 04, 2014

Frankly Idiotic and Extremely Stupid A**** ...

IC Status Legal Definition
May 25, 2010

Can someone provide me with a link to a legal definition of an independent contractor?  I had taken a temporary job with a woman who had a small MTSO and was without a contract.  She effectively bamboozled me but I did file a W9 with her.  Any help will be appreciated.  Feel free to email me with sensitive information if necessary.  Thanks. ...

Independent Contractor Definition
Oct 11, 2011

I am looking for some clarification on the definition, as per the IRS website, of an "independent contractor."  With the majority of companies now hiring MTs as IC's, does this definition apply ? "You are not an independent contractor if you perform services that can be controlled by an employer (what will be done and how it will be done). This applies even if you are given freedom of action. What matters is that the employer has the legal right to control the details of how the servi ...

Straight Transcription Definition
Aug 01, 2012

Can someone define for me exactly what "straight transcription" is when a company advertises for it.... I am an IC looking for the best possible line rate. Thanks! ...

What's The Definition Of A MAJOR Error?
Mar 18, 2014

I get notices of major errors and don't see anything about what constitutes a major error.  It sounds subjective to me! I'm more than fed up with this punitive grading system. ...

E-nun-ciate.. Learn The Definition Doc
May 04, 2014

and she's is dictating all old reports one after another after another..God I need a new job. I HATE this... ...

Independent Contractor - IRS Definition Of An IC, The IC Cannot Be Tested
Mar 13, 2010

As I understand it, according to IRS definition of an IC, the IC cannot be tested. If this is so, how do the transcription companies get away with testing for IC positions as mentioned in their ads. Is this legal? ...

Enhanced Compensation Package Definition
May 09, 2012

To attract and retain good employees.  They have to do something because they can't afford to lose more people. ...

IRS DEFINITION-IC STATUS BLACK & WHITE
Jul 10, 2012

Independent Contractor Defined   People such as doctors, dentists, veterinarians, lawyers, accountants, contractors, subcontractors, public stenographers, or auctioneers who are in an independent trade, business, or profession in which they offer their services to the general public are generally independent contractors. However, whether these people are independent contractors or employees depends on the facts in each case. The general rule is that an individu ...

If You Highlight A Word And Hit Ctl W It Give A Definition
Aug 27, 2012

x ...

Average Per Hour With 0.75 Or 0.375 Versus $12.00 Per Hour
Mar 31, 2014

My transcription job was always paid by the hour. I was laid off and they recently offered me a temp position with them making $12.00 an hour.  I was also offered a positon that pays 7.5 and 3.5 cpl.  The $12.00 is employee status for a small local company I worked for over 9 years.  The other is an IC position.  Do you think I would make more with the $12.00 an hour or the per line production rate?  I have never done production by line work so I'm not sur ...

HAPPY MT WEEK - Have A Great Week
May 17, 2010

To all you wonderful MTs working and slaving your lives away, Happy MT Week.  I appreciate you.  I appreciate your kindness when I have a rant or a rave, when I'm at my wits end with the constant changing around of clients, client profiles and the never ending dings being thrown at me. I appreciate knowing that I am not alone in this struggle. It is because of all of you, and only you MTs on this board that I manage to stay in this game.  We are treated as less than second class citiz ...

Anyone Planning On Actually Participating In MT Week Next Week?
May 14, 2014

. ...

Payday This Week (Thanksgiving Week)
Nov 24, 2014

Does anyone know when pay will be distributed this week? A big deal seemed to be made about getting payroll in quickly, so Im wondering if pay will be released before Thursday or if its just going to be Friday as usual. ...

At 99.4% This Week, Congratulated That I Improved Over Last Week.
Feb 13, 2015

Good grief. I did not change the way I edit. It so depends on how many commas they think you should have. Yes, I made an unusual (for me) mistake last week, but the rest of passing an audit is dumb luck of whether you get a realistic auditor or Ms English wannabe. Everybody must be under pressure because of the cesspool as I see a lot of mistakes when I look up past reports to help with these mush mouths and accents. The time czar wants schedule changes, but I see no problems with turna ...

Does Your PTO Rate Now Vary Week To Week?
Feb 20, 2015

Does it now vary from week to week?  I used to always know exactly what my PTO was and could calculate it but just noticed that it varied from one paycheck a couple of months back to this past week.  How is this now figured?  So confusing ...

Is $14 Per Hour Too Low For QA Pay?
Dec 15, 2009

NM ...

$4.22 An Hour
Aug 06, 2010

Today I made $4.22 in one hour, doing one report; however, I am not entirely disgruntled. I only left one blank and have a sample for next time. There is a sense of accomplishment when you figure out the blanks after extensive researching online. ...

$10 An Hour
Sep 24, 2010

I need to find a job that averages more than $10 an hour. I have 20 years' experience in med trans and am a fast typist, but with the slow platforms and the constant "breakdowns" and being out of work, I am only averaging $10 an hour. Another problem is my line counts have dropped from 250 per hour to around 100 and cannot figure out why.  Any ideas?  Thanks ...