A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

IC status legal definition - exMT

Posted: May 25, 2010

Can someone provide me with a link to a legal definition of an independent contractor?  I had taken a temporary job with a woman who had a small MTSO and was without a contract.  She effectively bamboozled me but I did file a W9 with her.  Any help will be appreciated.  Feel free to email me with sensitive information if necessary.  Thanks.

IC status legal definition - exMT

[ In Reply To ..]
Hi, would the kind person who sent a link to my email please re-send? It was inadvertantly deleted. Thanks!

Similar Messages:

IRS DEFINITION-IC STATUS BLACK & WHITE
Jul 10, 2012

Independent Contractor Defined   People such as doctors, dentists, veterinarians, lawyers, accountants, contractors, subcontractors, public stenographers, or auctioneers who are in an independent trade, business, or profession in which they offer their services to the general public are generally independent contractors. However, whether these people are independent contractors or employees depends on the facts in each case. The general rule is that an individu ...

Definition For Epi's
Nov 11, 2009

Does epi's stand for epithelial cells? I can't seem to find it, and I can't remember for sure if this is correct. Thanks in advance ...

Definition
Jan 16, 2013

I'm looking for a definition of Southern or Gibson-type approach?  Help and thank you! JT ...

Looking For IMSP Definition
Feb 04, 2010

Does anybody know what IMSP stands for (IMSP augmentation mammoplasty)? I cannot find this anywhere. Account wants abbreviations expanded. Thanx ...

Phrase Definition
Jul 30, 2012

Has anyone heard the phrase "office artifact"? It sounds like he's saying that or "off its artifact" and is referencing a tremor.  Any help is appreciated. ...

Go Live Definition
Oct 30, 2012

I'm new to this - what does "go live" actually mean?  Is it when it goes from strictly straight typing to VR?  Or is it when an MTSO gets a brand new acct?  Thanks! ...

My Definition Of FIESA
Apr 04, 2014

Frankly Idiotic and Extremely Stupid A**** ...

40-hour Week Definition
Nov 09, 2010

I work in the medical transcription industry. My employer is in TN.  We are required to work 40 hours per week, and we are paid on the basis of lines of dictation we transcribe per day.  Many days there is not enough work during a shift (a shift given us by our employer) to complete our 8 hours of work.  This means that in order to comply with company request, we have to work 2 to 3 hours at night to complete our 40 hours, even though we have sat at our desks and continually check ...

Definition Of Work Week For KS. . . . .
Mar 21, 2011

would anyone out there happen to know how Keystrokes defines a work week?  Does it start on Sun and go thru Sat or start on Mon and end Sun.  (I have been offered a position and would be curious as to the above).  Thanks!!!   ...

Independent Contractor Definition
Oct 11, 2011

I am looking for some clarification on the definition, as per the IRS website, of an "independent contractor."  With the majority of companies now hiring MTs as IC's, does this definition apply ? "You are not an independent contractor if you perform services that can be controlled by an employer (what will be done and how it will be done). This applies even if you are given freedom of action. What matters is that the employer has the legal right to control the details of how the servi ...

Straight Transcription Definition
Aug 01, 2012

Can someone define for me exactly what "straight transcription" is when a company advertises for it.... I am an IC looking for the best possible line rate. Thanks! ...

What's The Definition Of A MAJOR Error?
Mar 18, 2014

I get notices of major errors and don't see anything about what constitutes a major error.  It sounds subjective to me! I'm more than fed up with this punitive grading system. ...

E-nun-ciate.. Learn The Definition Doc
May 04, 2014

and she's is dictating all old reports one after another after another..God I need a new job. I HATE this... ...

Independent Contractor - IRS Definition Of An IC, The IC Cannot Be Tested
Mar 13, 2010

As I understand it, according to IRS definition of an IC, the IC cannot be tested. If this is so, how do the transcription companies get away with testing for IC positions as mentioned in their ads. Is this legal? ...

Enhanced Compensation Package Definition
May 09, 2012

To attract and retain good employees.  They have to do something because they can't afford to lose more people. ...

If You Highlight A Word And Hit Ctl W It Give A Definition
Aug 27, 2012

x ...

Is It Legal
Mar 19, 2010

So I was having lunch with an ex-transcriptionist (got out when the getting was good) and I told her about the docking of 0.03 as of May 1 if we hit 5% QA submission.  She brought up a good point.  Is this even Legal????  If this is done then I am assuming MANY out there will be working BELOW minimum wage.  This can't be done can it?  Doesn't the Q have to pay you at LEAST minimum wage?  I try to maintain 1800+ lines a day and if I lose 0.03 and do the mat ...

Is It Legal To
Jul 26, 2010

work 6 days a week, even though it adds up to 40 hours a week?  Our supervisor is trying to force us to work 2 hours every Friday night.  This means only one full day off.  I have had to get another part-time job on call Friday and Saturday (under the table) to supplement the lost income with MQ and so can't work her mandated hours.  Is it even legal to demand that?  ...

How Is It Legal?
Dec 23, 2013

Is it really legal for Nuance to make us work a holiday, then we don't get paid for it because there are no reports, and then they expect us to work overtime another day to make up for the holiday we worked on that we were never paid for?! Did I get that right?  Has anyone here called the Labor Department?  I'm curious. I will not work overtime after missing Christmas with my family (for zero pay), in order to accomdate their poor scheduling.  I'm upset that ...

Is This Legal?
Aug 20, 2014

I missed 3 days and 3 hours of work due to computer crashing. It took all this time to purchase a new computer, get windows 8 out and windows 7 in, fix whatever for windows update to work and now I'm told I have to use PTO or MUP this week. Seriously? Well, I can't work 14 hours a day so I guess I get screwed out of my measly PTO. How is this legal? Why not just pay me for what I do this week???? ...

Is This Legal???
Apr 01, 2015

I am not able to keep track of my percentage to QC. How would I know if I am nearing the 10%? ...

Pay Per Page/legal
Nov 28, 2009

how does this sound for legal transcription work? this is my first time being offered (and quoted) this type of work and pay.  any ideas?  i did test for them and the verbatim legal test file was quite easy and well over 1-1/2 pages in a short amount of time.   <<<15 pages = $18.00 a page.  All pages count.  Usually less than 25 lines on a page>> any advice appreciated! ...

Is This A Legal Matter?
Dec 26, 2009

I was hired full-time by a small company 3 months ago, offered 15.00 hr, just recently demoted because of a complaint of quality (which was very questionable), told they would pay me 5 cpl (woohoo) for production.  Now they are not supplying me with any work, let alone full-time work!  Dont they have an obligation to fire me, lay me off or supply me with work?  How can they do this?  I cant get unemployment if I'm employed, but my employer isnt supplying me with any work ...

Here's The Legal Scoop
Mar 04, 2010

Good news and bad news.  I just got off the phone with Mr. Young.  He specializes in cases like mine, but only from an unemployment point-of-view, not class-action suits.  He also charges $3500 to take on an individual unemployment case (sheesh might as well take my first-born).  I briefly rehashed with him the fact that uf we don't comply with their new rules, they will drop our salaries by half or more, and that this has been an ongoing problem with them for years, cha ...

Is It Legal For A Company To...
Jun 29, 2010

...require MTs to work 40 hours a week as a full-time employee for less than minimum wage?  I am considering filing a class action lawsuit, but I'm getting my facts straight first. ...

Legal Action
Jun 10, 2010

I really can't believe this....well I can. I quit Medquist three weeks ago. I promptly received my labels to return my equipment which included a letter saying I needed to return the equipment within 14 days.....5 DAYS LATER...I get a letter via UPS, which I had to sign for, saying I MUST return the equipment within 7 days or legal action will be put upon me!!! Really??? First of all, I've been trying unsuccessfully to find a box and packing to protect the computer in transit, but furt ...

Legal Transcription Course
Jan 24, 2011

I have been an MT for 3-1/2 years and am interested in legal transcription. I have found online courses through meditec and Penn Foster and am leaning towards meditec who also offers an online paralegal course. Does anybody have any experience with either meditec or Penn Foster regarding the legal transcription and/or paralegal course? Any other ideas how I could get into legal transcription? You may also email me if you prefer. I am grateful for any information and/or advice. If you know ...

Has Anyone Ever Done Legal Transcription?
Jun 10, 2011

Has anyone ever done legal transcription? If so, was it hard to learn compared to medical? ...

Legal Exploitation
Jul 19, 2011

Isn't it disgusting to know that so many MTs are victims of legal exploitaton.  Need I say more? ...

Legal Benefits
May 27, 2012

Do any of you have the legal benefits that MModal offers?  I think it's like $7 a pay period. ...