A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

0.16 per audio minute? - snl

Posted: Feb 05, 2010

Has anyone heard of pay at 0.16 per audio minute for medical transcription?  They told me I could make at least $10 an hour or more at this rate.  This seems impossible to me... What do you think?

Pull the other leg & it plays Jingle Bells - deenibeeni

[ In Reply To ..]
An audio minute is about 12 lines. So 16 cents per audio minute equals about 1-1/3 cents per line. In order to make $10.00 at that rate you would have to type 750 lines, so in order to make $10 an hour you would have to do 750 lines an hour. Someone is pulling your leg.

Or another way to look at it (sm) - Long time MT

[ In Reply To ..]
It takes approximately 1 hour to transcribe 20 dictated minutes, give or take a number of variables, but that's a decent average. So 20 minutes at 16 cents a minute is $3.20. Somebody is feeding you a line!

To further elaborate...sm - n

[ In Reply To ..]
EVEN if you could type all 60 minutes of audio in that hour, you would only make $9.60 at 0.16 cents per audio minute.

And that is just for the audio minutes, not your time. Which would be as the other poster put it.

somebody - just

[ In Reply To ..]
took $10/hour and divided it by 60 minutes and came up with $0.16 per dictated minute. Unfortunately it doesn't work that way. It takes 2-3 times longer to TRANSCRIBE those dictated minutes. I would ask for $0.48 per dictated minute at the very least, preferably MORE!

Your reply made my day - and almost made me - spit out my coffee, as I was LOL!

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

You can make more than $10 an hour... - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
...if you can type faster than he's dictating it!

To give an idea, 1.00/dictated minute used to be norm. - wise1

[ In Reply To ..]
So, I dobt that you could make even 5.00 at that. :(

Ummm, no - mter

[ In Reply To ..]
The general rule is a 3:1 ratio. It takes you 3 minutes to transcribe 1 minute of dictation. You'd be paid 0.16 for for 20 minutes, meaning you'd make $3.20.

I used to pay by the minute and it was 1.00 - 1.20.

Now, if you live in India, perhaps $3.20 is an acceptable wage.

RUN!!! DON'T DO IT. - old mt

[ In Reply To ..]
If the dictators are horrible and you get behind you wouldn't make anything. The mean hourly income for us is supposed to be around $14.00 (I think I read that some place could be mistaken but even 10 is low).

Similar Messages:

Pay Per Audio Minute At 7 CPL?
Jul 19, 2012

Experienced MTs needed for multiple accounts/specialties - CCT Posted: Jul 19th, 2012 - 9:12 am Experienced Medical Transcriptionists needed on several accounts (3 years of MT experience is required to apply for each of the below) - Multispecialty account (orthopedics, gastroenterology, plastic surgery, internal medicine, oncology) - pay is per audio minute of dictation.  Full time applicants only.  Upon signing contract, please note it will take at least 5 busin ...

Does Anyone Get Paid By The Audio Minute?
Sep 01, 2010

Does anyone get paid by the audio minute?  I am thinking about charging a physician per audio minute because he doesn't want to pay per line.  I was just wondering what would be a good amout to charge for this.  ...

$1 Per 3-minute Audio Ratio - Wth?!
Dec 16, 2011

No one 'spoke to' my previous post. Someone answered with an irrelevant thread and thus began another topic; please see my previous post from an hour ago...would like your input if anyone is earning or has been proposed this dreadful rate! As mentioned previously, I was quoted this rate by 2 different companies, as if this is a 'normal' thing...! What say you guys?! ...

Paid By Audio Minute
Apr 26, 2012

Anyone have any experience being paid by audio minute? I have an offer and want to know the pros and cons if any. Thanks. ...

What Does $1 Per Audio Minute Amount To? SM
Jul 12, 2013

I've never been paid per audio minute.  What would 1 dollar per audio minute come to if I can type 300 lines per hour?  Does anyone have an equation I can plug the numbers in to or any idea what a ballpark figure would be for this?  Thanks.   ...

Can Someone Tell Me About Pay By Audio Minute/page?
Sep 28, 2013

I am getting ready to test for this company (not medical) for a transcription job. They advised me that their starting pay (depending on account) is 0.40 per audio minute up to $1.25 per audio minute and then they have some accounts that pay 0.65 per page up to $1.75 per page. Does anyone know if I could make decent money doing this full-time? I know it depends on speed and quality of audio (which is supposed to be good) but I am just wondering how things go based on this type of pay option. ...

Pay Per Audio Talking Minute
Jan 16, 2015

Note, these are non-MT jobs. I have been applying to jobs that pay per "audio talking minute." These are all basically customer service jobs which might include a little tech help and also might include some upselling. Anyone have a take on this? After I quit MT, I SWORE I would never do any job that was not hourly or otherwise a guaranteed amount per paycheck. Has anyone done this type of work? I guess I'm curious what "audio talking minute" means. I'm assuming it means not ...

Amount Per Audio Minute
Jun 01, 2015

Hi there.  Does anybody know what the going rate per audio minute is?  I'm used to getting paid hourly.  Thanks all! ...

Being Paid By The Audio Minute Or Page
Oct 13, 2009

Does anyone have a clue on how much is a decent per page rate or per audio minute rate?  I've never been paid either way, so I don't know what is a decent amount.  I have 21 years of experience as an MT.  Thanks! ...

Fox Transcriptions Pay Of 40-50 Cents Per Audio Minute
Feb 06, 2013

Even at 50 cents an audio minute, if you get a 10-minute report that would equate to $5.00. Usually it takes 30 minutes to do a 10-minute report so that would mean one would receive $10.00 an hour. If only getting 40 cents, that's $8.00 an hour. PFFT! I don't see how this is any improvement over our standard slave wages, yet their ad sounds like they invented the wheel or sliced bread. With a name like "Fox," it's got to be bad. (Apologies to Smucker's.) ...

How To Factor The Rate Per Audio Minute
Feb 11, 2013

Could anyone tell me how to factor the rate per audio minute.  Lets say the pay is 0.40 per audio minute.  What would that equate to per hour.  How can you tell what your pay is that way? ...

Pay By Audio Minute Versus Per Line.
Apr 13, 2013

Good morning.  I am wondering if I should take a job that pays per audio minute or would I make more money doing cpl?  The audio job pays .70 cents per audio minute and the cpl pays .07 cpl.  The audio job will be very part time and I am not sure about the cpl gig.  Thanks so much for your input.  ...

Is It Worth Being Paid By Audio Minute?
Aug 25, 2013

What does 80 cents per audio minute work out to be per line. ...

Job Pays 30 Cents Per Audio Minute, Geez
Jan 18, 2013

So there is job posted that pays 30 cents an audio minute.  How generous!  You figure depending on the dictator and difficulty of transcript 60 minutes of audio is equal to 3 hours of transcribing.  Granted, most of the time it does not take that long, but just in case for good measure we'll say 3 hours for 60 audio minutes.  Do the math!  30 cents a minute x 60 (1 hr)= 1800.  So another words, if you divide 1800 by 3 you get your hourly rate = 6 buck ...

What Is A Fair Rate Per Audio Minute? Is 0.6 Okay? I've Never Been Paid That Way Before
Apr 05, 2014

nm ...

50 Cents Per Audio Minute? I Remember Being Paid $1.10
Nov 26, 2014

per audio minute (as an employee) and ending up making considerably less than my per line rate, so I requested off that account and back onto a per-line account.  I can't believe these MTSOs now.  I've seen others, 40 cents, 60 cents... as ICs no less.  Unbelievable. ...

Is $0.90/audio Minute A Good Rate? Always Worked Per Line So Not Sure.
Aug 02, 2013

NM ...

Line Rate Pay Versus Audio Minute Rate Pay
Mar 18, 2013

Can anyone tell me if line rate pay is comparable to getting paid by the audio minute? Is 0.50 or 1.00 normal? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks! ...

Can Someone Tell Me About "audio Minute" Pay?
Aug 23, 2012

I have only been paid by transcribing (production) by the line...like 8.5 cents per line. I see "pay is $1 per audio minute of dictation" in the ad... is this hard to learn and is it better than actually transcribing? I appreciate any input and advice. ...

Radiology Paid Per Minute? Is $1/dictated Minute Good, Bad, Average?
Mar 01, 2010

Have 4 years experience.  Mostly acute care/basic 4.   Got a job offer for Radiology using Meditech platform and pay offered is $1 per dictated minute.  This is an IC job.  Haven't done radiology exclusively before and haven't been paid per dictated minute either.  Thoughts? Thanks! ...

To Be BOS Correct, How Would One Write This: 3-4 Minute Episode, 3 To 4 Minute Episode Or 3 To 4-mi
Jul 09, 2013

I question things now that I never before questioned in my life!  Thanks for any help. ...

I Had A 10 Minute Report And....
Dec 14, 2009

only got 37 lines from it.  This nutter dictating kept putting me on hold (with the worst music) every section of the report so he could look it up in the patient's chart!  I hate it when they do that stuff!  There would be no way I would go to this guy as a patient.  Anyone who is that unorganized is not going to operate on me!   Breathing deeply now, rant over. ...

Lines Per Minute
Mar 01, 2010

I have been an MT for 12-years now.  I used to get paid hourly, now they are suggesting 12.5-cents per line. Is this too low?  Is 12.5 cents per line fair, anyone know?   ...

NJA Under The 15 Minute Window
Apr 14, 2010

Lately, when I get NJA it is just long enough to slow my production down, but not long enough to report it.  It only lasts about 10 minutes most times.  Does everyone else wait the 15 minutes before reporting as we are supposed to, or do you report it right away? ...

Would It Be Too Much To Ask To Get A 5 Minute Window
Mar 06, 2011

Seriously, I was 11 seconds (according to my punch clock) past the scheduled start of maintenance on submitting a really long job and it didn't go through.  I think they should wait 5 minutes for the last minute submissions or at least hang onto the job and have it submitted after maintenance.  ...

Pay By Dictated Minute-sm
Apr 05, 2011

Anyone get paid by dictated minute -- How profitable is it for you?  Considering options?  is there a catch? ...

When A Keystrokes Add Says Pay By Minute
Sep 01, 2011

of dictation for a radiology position, what does this mean?  So much per minute or a flat rate for a total of minutes per day?   ...

$1.20 Per Dictated Minute
Mar 21, 2012

Hi All:    I was looking at a job posting, but they pay as stated above.  I have never worked for anyone that pays like this.  Does anyone know what this would average out to be per line based on 65 space?  It is not Radiology. ...

Pay Per Minute?? Good Or Bad
Apr 10, 2012

I have never been paid by the minute before and I was wondering what is a good rate? I have been offered 0.08 cents per minute up to $1 per minute depending on the dictator. Right now I am getting paid 7.5 cents per line. I average 800-1000 lines per day on the account I am on now. Does anyone know how to figure pay on the minute versus the line?? Thanks in advance!! ...

Pay Per Minute Of Dictation
May 03, 2012

Hope everyone is having a great day...I have an interview for a position that pays by the minute of dictation...I have never been paid this way or no anyone who has so am at a total loss as to the average, what it calculates to per line, hour, etc.  Anyone who knows anything about this and can share would be so very much appreciated.  I have not interviewed yet so don't know the rate but just want some info so I don't go in completely in the dark. Thank you! ...