A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Pay Per Audio Talking Minute - Non-MT Job Question

Posted: Jan 16, 2015

Note, these are non-MT jobs. I have been applying to jobs that pay per "audio talking minute." These are all basically customer service jobs which might include a little tech help and also might include some upselling. Anyone have a take on this? After I quit MT, I SWORE I would never do any job that was not hourly or otherwise a guaranteed amount per paycheck. Has anyone done this type of work? I guess I'm curious what "audio talking minute" means. I'm assuming it means not putting the customer on hold, but keep talking...Does it mean they have you on the phone seemingly trying to help--would they purposefully keep you stringing along for hours so they can get their pay? I had a recent experience with my virus protection program, and I was literally on the phone with them for 4 hours. We weren't always "talking," per se, but he was in my system troubleshooting this and that. I'm wondering how that tech got paid just by being on the phone with me for that long. Heck, he could have fudged it just to get a high pay. He did end up solving my problem, but I'm wondering if it could have been done faster, but wasn't because of the way he might be paid. Thoughts?

It's a pretty gray area. I do non-MT trans. on - the side, and I am still - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
experimenting with rate of compensation. My current client has easy work, easy formatting, and interesting subjects. I give her a special rate of $40 per recorded hour, because I can transcribe 1 recorded hour in approximately 2 hours.

I have a 2nd client waiting in the wings, and have given a price of $50/recorded hour on that one, since I don't know her or her work. If it takes more than 2.5 hours to transcribe one recorded hour, then I'll know I should've charged $60/recorded hour.

Don't forget to factor into your price the fact that even with general transcription, like MT you'll be doing lot of research on spelling, etc. With general, you also end up researching names of towns, last names, addresses, sometimes a word or two in a foreign language, geography, local customs, lingo associated with certain hobbies or businesses, etc.

I wouldn't be able to make a full living at this, anymore than I was able to make a living at MT. But it can make an interesting & educational supplement to social security.

ChiMT: In response to your email, -sm - Non-MT Work

[ In Reply To ..]
You asked how I got my current clients. There are only two - one current, and one in the wings -(her project isn't ready for transcription yet.) The second one was a word-of-mouth referral by the first one. The first one is someone I know socially, and one day we got to talking about what I did for a living. (Which was MT for 30+ years). She asked if I would consider transcribing some interviews for her on the side, and I agreed. I've done several interview projects for her, and enjoy it a lot. It doesn't pay the rent, but it buys a few bags of groceries here and there.

So, there was no skill involved in my getting these transcription jobs - it was just pure luck on the first, word-of-mouth on the second. ;)

Re: Non-MT clients - ChiMT

[ In Reply To ..]
Thanks so much, and my best to you!

Similar Messages:

0.16 Per Audio Minute?
Feb 05, 2010

Has anyone heard of pay at 0.16 per audio minute for medical transcription?  They told me I could make at least $10 an hour or more at this rate.  This seems impossible to me... What do you think? ...

Pay Per Audio Minute At 7 CPL?
Jul 19, 2012

Experienced MTs needed for multiple accounts/specialties - CCT Posted: Jul 19th, 2012 - 9:12 am Experienced Medical Transcriptionists needed on several accounts (3 years of MT experience is required to apply for each of the below) - Multispecialty account (orthopedics, gastroenterology, plastic surgery, internal medicine, oncology) - pay is per audio minute of dictation.  Full time applicants only.  Upon signing contract, please note it will take at least 5 busin ...

Does Anyone Get Paid By The Audio Minute?
Sep 01, 2010

Does anyone get paid by the audio minute?  I am thinking about charging a physician per audio minute because he doesn't want to pay per line.  I was just wondering what would be a good amout to charge for this.  ...

$1 Per 3-minute Audio Ratio - Wth?!
Dec 16, 2011

No one 'spoke to' my previous post. Someone answered with an irrelevant thread and thus began another topic; please see my previous post from an hour ago...would like your input if anyone is earning or has been proposed this dreadful rate! As mentioned previously, I was quoted this rate by 2 different companies, as if this is a 'normal' thing...! What say you guys?! ...

Paid By Audio Minute
Apr 26, 2012

Anyone have any experience being paid by audio minute? I have an offer and want to know the pros and cons if any. Thanks. ...

What Does $1 Per Audio Minute Amount To? SM
Jul 12, 2013

I've never been paid per audio minute.  What would 1 dollar per audio minute come to if I can type 300 lines per hour?  Does anyone have an equation I can plug the numbers in to or any idea what a ballpark figure would be for this?  Thanks.   ...

Can Someone Tell Me About Pay By Audio Minute/page?
Sep 28, 2013

I am getting ready to test for this company (not medical) for a transcription job. They advised me that their starting pay (depending on account) is 0.40 per audio minute up to $1.25 per audio minute and then they have some accounts that pay 0.65 per page up to $1.75 per page. Does anyone know if I could make decent money doing this full-time? I know it depends on speed and quality of audio (which is supposed to be good) but I am just wondering how things go based on this type of pay option. ...

Amount Per Audio Minute
Jun 01, 2015

Hi there.  Does anybody know what the going rate per audio minute is?  I'm used to getting paid hourly.  Thanks all! ...

Being Paid By The Audio Minute Or Page
Oct 13, 2009

Does anyone have a clue on how much is a decent per page rate or per audio minute rate?  I've never been paid either way, so I don't know what is a decent amount.  I have 21 years of experience as an MT.  Thanks! ...

Fox Transcriptions Pay Of 40-50 Cents Per Audio Minute
Feb 06, 2013

Even at 50 cents an audio minute, if you get a 10-minute report that would equate to $5.00. Usually it takes 30 minutes to do a 10-minute report so that would mean one would receive $10.00 an hour. If only getting 40 cents, that's $8.00 an hour. PFFT! I don't see how this is any improvement over our standard slave wages, yet their ad sounds like they invented the wheel or sliced bread. With a name like "Fox," it's got to be bad. (Apologies to Smucker's.) ...

How To Factor The Rate Per Audio Minute
Feb 11, 2013

Could anyone tell me how to factor the rate per audio minute.  Lets say the pay is 0.40 per audio minute.  What would that equate to per hour.  How can you tell what your pay is that way? ...

Pay By Audio Minute Versus Per Line.
Apr 13, 2013

Good morning.  I am wondering if I should take a job that pays per audio minute or would I make more money doing cpl?  The audio job pays .70 cents per audio minute and the cpl pays .07 cpl.  The audio job will be very part time and I am not sure about the cpl gig.  Thanks so much for your input.  ...

Is It Worth Being Paid By Audio Minute?
Aug 25, 2013

What does 80 cents per audio minute work out to be per line. ...

Job Pays 30 Cents Per Audio Minute, Geez
Jan 18, 2013

So there is job posted that pays 30 cents an audio minute.  How generous!  You figure depending on the dictator and difficulty of transcript 60 minutes of audio is equal to 3 hours of transcribing.  Granted, most of the time it does not take that long, but just in case for good measure we'll say 3 hours for 60 audio minutes.  Do the math!  30 cents a minute x 60 (1 hr)= 1800.  So another words, if you divide 1800 by 3 you get your hourly rate = 6 buck ...

What Is A Fair Rate Per Audio Minute? Is 0.6 Okay? I've Never Been Paid That Way Before
Apr 05, 2014

nm ...

50 Cents Per Audio Minute? I Remember Being Paid $1.10
Nov 26, 2014

per audio minute (as an employee) and ending up making considerably less than my per line rate, so I requested off that account and back onto a per-line account.  I can't believe these MTSOs now.  I've seen others, 40 cents, 60 cents... as ICs no less.  Unbelievable. ...

Is $0.90/audio Minute A Good Rate? Always Worked Per Line So Not Sure.
Aug 02, 2013

NM ...

Line Rate Pay Versus Audio Minute Rate Pay
Mar 18, 2013

Can anyone tell me if line rate pay is comparable to getting paid by the audio minute? Is 0.50 or 1.00 normal? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks! ...

Can Someone Tell Me About "audio Minute" Pay?
Aug 23, 2012

I have only been paid by transcribing (production) by the line...like 8.5 cents per line. I see "pay is $1 per audio minute of dictation" in the ad... is this hard to learn and is it better than actually transcribing? I appreciate any input and advice. ...

Radiology Paid Per Minute? Is $1/dictated Minute Good, Bad, Average?
Mar 01, 2010

Have 4 years experience.  Mostly acute care/basic 4.   Got a job offer for Radiology using Meditech platform and pay offered is $1 per dictated minute.  This is an IC job.  Haven't done radiology exclusively before and haven't been paid per dictated minute either.  Thoughts? Thanks! ...

To Be BOS Correct, How Would One Write This: 3-4 Minute Episode, 3 To 4 Minute Episode Or 3 To 4-mi
Jul 09, 2013

I question things now that I never before questioned in my life!  Thanks for any help. ...

No One Talking About DIT
May 30, 2011

I am really surprised that there is no one talking about DIT.  I know that I am not the only one that got the shaft from them.  The owners last excuse for not paying me for work completed was that he just found out that he was losing his eyesight!.  Again, I fell for it hook, line and sinker.  He couldn't answer his emails because he had to find someone else to read them to him.  By the end of the conversation, I was in tears..... I am such a fool.  I did however, get my pay in full, ...

Nobody Talking??
Jan 07, 2015

Must be extremely busy with M*Modal today.  Nobody has anything to say. Either that or they were taught properly and know if they can't say anything nice they won't say anything at all! ...

When Talking About Positions.....
Feb 21, 2012

is 12 o'clock position/axis/radians or twelve o'clock.....please check the book of style, cuz I'm getting confused with these new people.... ...

People Are Always Talking About How ICs Should Not Have
Sep 27, 2012

a set schedule, but I also thought as an IC you should be able to say how much you charge, not let the MTSO tell you how much they are willing to pay you. ...

Tired Of Getting Talking Down To
Nov 14, 2013

anyone else tired of being talking down to by their QC, so sick of it, they act like we are babies and they are the only ones with knowledge.  So we make a mistake, their mistake in this company if making the point value so high on silly things, but there again that is one way of getting rid of us and giving more to off-shoring. Just tired of it all but looking every chance I get.   And I guess the higher ups who get copies of all the QC emails probably are eating it up when they ...

Talking Type
Mar 30, 2015

Has anyone worked for Talking Type?  I just tested for them and wondered how they are as far as paying on time and having enough work.  Thanks.  Ev ...

I Have A PA That Is Dictating Metacarpals When He Talking About
May 02, 2010

xx ...

......He Could Be Talking About Any MTSO In America.
Aug 20, 2010

Gotta love George Carlin; he doesn't mince words.   As I listened to his monologue, I felt like he was describing most MTSO's, not just corporate America: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYIC0eZYEtI ...

Talking About Blood Cells S/l Rue Low...
Oct 26, 2010

s/l rue low...then goes on with platelet count ...