A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

staying in Health Care and am especially interested in home healthcare - hypertyper

Posted: Jul 06, 2012

I am looking into what field of study to take up. I am thinking about staying in Health Care and am especially interested in home health care. I was wondering if anyone knows personally if there are demands for: Physical Therapist assistant - with Associated degree Occupational assistant- with Associates degree Has anyone heard of Speech/language pathologist assistant? I think this will require too much schooling but I have heard there is a big demand in health care and schools. I also was wonding how hard it might be to get my foot in the door with coding being that I am an MT. I have heard horror stories about people training and never getting experience. Thanks for any responses. I will find a new direction to go yet. Have been looking all around, just waiting for a sign!!!! : )

Why not go for something better, something - that pays well

[ In Reply To ..]
The jobs you are looking at, apparently specifically because they require little schooling, do not pay well at all, really not much better than MT. Jobs that pay well require a much higher level of skill. Why set your sights so low? If you settle for low-paying jobs, you will struggle for the rest of your life. Put in the effort now, endure the "struggle" in the form of schooling now, and improve your long-term prospects for financial security.

Really... - IMO anything in the health care

[ In Reply To ..]
field other than MD, nurse or upper level exec is going to be low paid and dead end. Even doctor and nurse are horrible burn-out jobs. Why else would they have to import most of them from foreign countries and recruit constantly to fill position? From what I read on this board, I would say a lot of MTs are way better and smarter than that.

I tend to agree with you from what I've seen - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Response with more questions than answers :) - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm wondering why you would choose
Physical Therapist "Assistant" instead of
Physical Therapist.

I'm wondering why you would consider
Speech/language pathologist "Assistant"
rather than speech/language pathologist.

It seems that the jobs would be for the therapist and the pathologist, not necessarily for the "assistant", but I'm just guessing. I don't know.

It seems like it would be better to become a medical coder rather than a medical coder "assistant" and have solid credentials--not just a CPC, but at least a CCS, and hopefully both CPC and CCS. You see people talking about often who have the CPC but they can't get a job, but people with a CCS do better. If you get both the CPC and the CCS, you have marketable credentials. If you decided to be a coding "assistant", however, it seems to me that your job would be forever limited.

This is all speculation on my part though, because I've never heard of physical therapist assistant or speech/language pathologist assistant or coding assistant.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Speech pathologist requires a master's - tmt

[ In Reply To ..]
speech pathologist's assistant requires an associate's

Master's = 6 years
Associate's = 2 years

To someone who's in a field that has maybe 1 to 2 years left, an associate's is more reasonable than a master's.

That depends on if there are any jobs - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
"To someone who's in a field that has maybe 1 to 2 years left, an associate's is more reasonable than a master's."

That's true, if there are any jobs for the associates or "assistant".

because of the amount of education required - not everyone has time

[ In Reply To ..]
Not everyone has time to get a 4 year degree. That requires "the basics": English, math, history, all of that, and then finally getting to the actual courses that will make you a physical therapist, etc. Some people gotta get out and work right now! Although some get the assistant job and then start taking the classes required for the 4 year degree.

reality of school - me

[ In Reply To ..]
I went back to school and hold a Master's degree in another field. Social services -- sadly, I can't make enough money working in that field as I still do in MT, so I've stayed with MT for now.

However, I also carry a very large student debt burden.

If you can go to a two-year program and make a nice salary, why opt for a four or six year program and make only $10k more?

Physical therapy assistants and occupational therapy assistants are well paid in my area. I've never heard of speech therapy assistant but I wouldn't see why it wouldn't work. Something to remember is, that as an assistant, you will always have to work under an actual therapist.

Avoid work-at-home and computer-based - tmt

[ In Reply To ..]
Any work-at-home or computer-based job is in the process of being offshored.

Stick to jobs that work face-to-face with the customer. Those are just about the only middle-class jobs even remotely stable.

Stability holds more value than dollar amount.

Have you looked into the cost? - (see message)

[ In Reply To ..]
I applaud you for considering one of these fields, and I actually do see jobs for OT ass't and PT ass't around these parts. I was considering becoming an OT ass't, but I looked into the cost of the program at our local college, and it was something like $15,000+. I might consider investing that amount in training for a good career if I had longer to work and recoup the investment, but I don't. I don't think my husband's income is low enough for me to qualify for financial aid, either.

By the way, I don't think Hypertyper mentioned thinking about being a coding assistant....just coding itself. I don't think I've ever heard of a coding assistant....is there such a thing?

No, there isn't such a thing as far as I know - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
You're right. I don't think she mentioned coding assistant.

By the way, there have been numerous articles recently about how people are getting themselves into debt they can never repay, using federal financial aid. The articles are talking about the schools getting rich getting paid those financial aid monies. The students, on the other hand, are coming out unable to get a job, but still have to pay back the loans. The schools can charge those horrific amounts because they know the student expects financial aid to take care of it for them, so they don't worry about having to pay it back later. That situation is getting abusive to the taxpayer and just plain scary. Be careful.

OTA - go for it

[ In Reply To ..]
My daughter went back to school (2 year program) for OTA and she makes $50k. She loves it. There's a demand for occupational therapists but because they can't find them, they are having to pay the OTA.

If you don't mind working with clients, I'd really recommend seeing if you're cut out for OTA.

My error. Deleting - About heavy lifting and split shifts

[ In Reply To ..]
This may be a great idea. Just consider the fact that you will be having to lift, push, and shove heavy equipment and patients. Many jobs have gone to split shifts too. That may not be a problem for you if you live close to the hospital where you will be working.

EDITED: Sorry about that. I doubt that you will do much lifting, etc., for occupational therapy. My error.

Similar Messages:

Staying Focused/Motivated At Home
Nov 28, 2010

Hi, I was wondering for those of you who work at home, what type of methods do you you use to stay focused at home, ie. environment, lighting, and so forth?  I like working at home but there are days when I'm easily distracted by the littlest thing and it slows down my line count or I need a break for my eyes to get away from looking at words on the computer screen. ...

Could Anyone Who Has An HRA (health Reimbursement Arrangement) Type Of Health Care
May 04, 2010

tell me how that works?  I know the insurance premiums are less than a regular health plan.  If your  company puts 500 in your account, does that mean the first few times, for example, until you use up the 500, you don't pay ANYTHING or is it the opposite...you pay the entire office visit cost until you reach that 500?  I would be so grateful for any information about this type of plan.  TIA ...

Health Insurance - Less Expensive Healthcare?
Nov 15, 2011

Am so frustrated with the high price of family medical insurance with this company.$300 biweekly is so outrageous. I think we all need to send e-mails to the CEO asking for less expensive healthcare! Power in numbers...... maybe? ...

Meridian Healthcare Solutions - Care To Comment On How It Is Today?
Oct 30, 2012

Any current Meridian employees out there that care to comment on how it is today? Thanks in advance. ...

Home Health
Jan 22, 2011

Is home health capitalized by it self or only when an actual name is placed in front of it? ...

I Wonder What This Health Care Reform Will Do
Mar 23, 2010

I pay very little attention to what Washington does, but I have to wonder if this new health care reform that dear old Obama has finally pushed through is going to affect our jobs and pay rate.  My husband gets good insurance through UPS, and he says that it will make his insurance less because according to this bill, everyone gets the same coverage.  At least that's how he explained it. So is this going to cost doctors and hospitals money, and if it does, is that going to make t ...

Ascend Health Care
May 11, 2010

Has anyone worked or works for Ascend Health Care. Our local hospital just entered into a three year contract with them with an anticipated 52 million lines for the life of the contract. I had applied at the hospital but they were not hiring and i guess that was the reason why. ...

Health Care Management Or IT?
Aug 17, 2010

I'm going back to school to get out of transcription. I currently do QA. I have a 2-year degree in health information technology and am trying to figure out whether to go get a Bachelor's in information technology and health informatics or go for a business degree with a healthcare management emphasis.  I know electronic records are taking over and health informatics is a growing field. Does anyone have any suggestions? I know with IT I'd need to keep up a bunch of certificat ...

New Health Care Laws
Oct 05, 2010

With the new health care laws in the next 2 years, will IC become obsolete?  Won't these transcription companies be forced to provide health benefits and forced to have employees?  Or will they still be allowed to just hire us as IC's? ...

Meridian Health Care
Apr 19, 2011

Anyone have info on this company?  I couldl sure use some input good or bad.  Thanks so much! ...

Health Care Benefits -- HA!
Apr 26, 2011

First I had to switch from Kaiser last year and now the new doctor I found with United Healthcare is OUT OF NETWORK and the new and only coverage sucks.  I guess it is time to go.  Any good company's out there with decent insurance?  This is pitiful. ...

Obama Care, Our Health Ins.
Oct 15, 2012

Has "Obama care" gone into effect??? I am part time. Does the company have to offer me health insurance that I pay for?? anyone up on this??? ...

MModal Health Care
Oct 29, 2013

Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me.  10/16/2013:  Paraphrasing:  Keep employee premiums, plan and deductibles the same, except the spousal charge  (didn't say would keep same company - stupid me for assuming so).  10/29/2013:  Pharaphrasing:  New healthcare administrator which consolidates...supposedly everything our previous plan had.... premiums, deductibles, etc., to remain same (then why change it, and will the coverage still b ...

How To Get Acute Care Experience From Home
Oct 25, 2013

I am looking for work, have 3+ years experience in different clinics (family practice, OB/GYN, ortho, PT, etc...) but no acute care experience.....since I have no acute care experience I cannot find work! This is so darn frustrating. I went through this when I graduated with my AS in Medical Transcription....how do they expect you to get experience if no one will hire you!!....gripe over I guess...lol ...

Would You Capitalize Home Health Nursing Or Not
Oct 23, 2009

? ...

Health Care Employment Numbers Keep Going Up
Mar 09, 2012

Department of Labor statistics for February 2012: Health care and social assistance employment rose by 61,000 over the month. Within health care, ambulatory care services added 28,000 jobs, and hospital employment increased by 15,000. Over the past 12 months, health care employment has risen by 360,000. ...

Ascend Health Care - Payment
Apr 09, 2014

Has anyone who was hired on at Ascend/Portal Health Care LLC during the last hiring received their payment for Phase I?  I am beyond outraged right now; just told that I will have to wait until after the 15th  for my first payment to be processed b/c processing ended on March 20th despite repeated emails being sent out by payroll stating that submission after the 20th wouldn't affect the schedule of payment.  Not to mention, I submitted my invoice twice and asked for re ...

Is MM Part Of DND Mgt/Assisting Hands Home Care?
Sep 03, 2014

Got an email about viewing my online paycheck stubs, and they used my name as it is through MM, which is not normally how I use my name, so makes me wonder if it's legit?  It's also on the correct day that our check stubs would be available through Ultipro.  Did anyone else get this? ...

Health Insurance Agent Working From Home.
Jan 06, 2015

I just got off the phone with my health insurance company agent at HealthLink.  She is working from home!  I should have asked what qualifications someone need to do this line of work, but didn't think to ask at that time.  I wonder if coding or transcription/medical terminology experience would be a requirement.  I had called to ask how much my deductible will be for an upcoming outpatient surgery.  She was able to look at my account and tell me the deductible amou ...

I Wonder How The New Health Care Bill Will Affect Our Jobs?
Nov 08, 2009

I.e., how will Medquist use the new bill to their benefit? ...

Article - Health Care Law Prohibits Data
Jun 27, 2010

Moderate, please don't move this to offshore board. It needs to be seen by more people. Exerpt: "The new law imposes limits on outsourcing by American insurance companies and medical service providers. In addition, several categories of data are prohibited from flowing offshore. As a result, many Indian outsourcing firms have begun setting up shop in the United States. America’s outsourcers are now outsourcing back to America." Link to article: http://medicaltourismmag.com/news_ar ...

Obama Health Care And The Transcriptionist Perfession
Oct 17, 2010

I am just wondering how it is assumed that the Obama Health Care Bill will affect the medical transcription profession.   ...

Haven't You All Noticed How Our Health Care Bills Have Gone Down Since
Aug 05, 2011

cutting the throats of MTs.  LOL ...

Health Care Employment Up 315,000 Jobs 2011
Jan 06, 2012

New job figures out today: Health care continued to add jobs in December (+23,000); employment in hospitals increased by 10,000. Over the year, health care employment has risen by 315,000. Any increase in health care employment is good for MTs. ...

So... Who Has Heard From Their Employer About The Affordable Health Care Act?
Sep 28, 2013

I got an email a few days ago plainly stating that my employer would not be offering health insurance to its employees, and also providing specific information regarding how I could access the "marketplace" for insurance.  Anybody else? 3 days till October 1st, lol! ...

General Office Clerk, Reid Hospital & Health Care Services, Richmond, IN
Jun 28, 2014

Thought the suits might be interested to see "comparable wages" in my neck of the woods. Preferred familiarity with medical terminology. Demonstrates courtesy, attitude, respect and enthusiasm (C.A.R.E.) in all interactions.... $11.72 - $13.46 an hour Owing to disability and not being able to dig my car out of the driveway every day in winter, I cannot even apply for this. Boy, sure would be nice to earn a living like this on a daily, steady, hourly basis (working with nice people every day). ...

STAYING FOCUSED DOING VR/SR
Oct 20, 2011

Have been an MT for 34 years..having trouble staying focused doing SR...any suggestions??? ...

Staying Awake
Oct 15, 2012

Sitting here with work but still falling asleep at the computer.  How does one stay awake through all this crappy ASR and ESL who stutter and just totally horrible dictations?  ...

Staying On Task?
Dec 12, 2013

Hello everyone. If anyone has any tips on how to stay on task it would be appreciated. I know this topic has been discussed before, but I wanted some different ideas. Thanks! ...

Staying Clocked In While OOW
Apr 09, 2015

Has anyone ever stayed clocked in while OOW, like for an entire day and subsequently for the entire week. Of course, they would have to pay minimum wage, but I'm just wondering for how long??? ...