A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

How to get acute care experience from home - Frustrated and job hunting

Posted: Oct 25, 2013

I am looking for work, have 3+ years experience in different clinics (family practice, OB/GYN, ortho, PT, etc...) but no acute care experience.....since I have no acute care experience I cannot find work! This is so darn frustrating. I went through this when I graduated with my AS in Medical Transcription....how do they expect you to get experience if no one will hire you!!....gripe over I guess...lol

Reply to your post - older than dirt

[ In Reply To ..]
You sound like you are relatively "new" to the field since you have a little of 3 years experience under your belt. The problem that you have run into is just limiting yourself to clinic work. MTs do not have the time to train and hand hold MTs when they have limited experience. Secondly, an AS degree in Medical Transcription doesn't mean diddly squat to employers.

I have been in this field for 33 years. I learned MT on the job, and was probably a "pioneer" with the working from home concept. I have been looking for work as an acute care MT since July and no luck. I am hoping to have a new business concept up and running within the next 2 months and be out of this field entirely.

As a relatively new MT also with only 3 years experience under your belt, you should have seen the direction that MT was heading. I like so many others, will probably suggest that you head down a different career path all together.

JMHO

older thinks she's smarter than dirt - office girl now

[ In Reply To ..]
The transcription industry is going down the tubes. This is probably the reason this âpioneerâ has a ânew business conceptâ coming up. The pay has gone down the tubes with the job. So many of us are out of work, most companies can hire folks with acute care experience. You might consider another line of work such as scribes, coding, general transcription, or something else that will be around longer. And I think âhand holdâ is a rude way to say it. Iâve worked for someone like you before. You should take a step down off your high horse sometime and try to encourage someone in a kinder way. I didnât realize MTs had egos until I worked for someone who had one similar to yours.

To "Office Girl" - older than dirt

[ In Reply To ..]
MTSOs no longer have the time or the patience for anyone who has no acute care experience. This person has 3 years of clinic experience which is very different from acute care in MANY ways. The OP has limited herself in her abilities to find a job in the MT field by strictly doing clinic work.

You sound like the type of person that wants everything sugar-coated and I would advise you to take off your rose-colored glasses. I became an MT and leared on-the-job because I love the medical field and I love to research. I became an at-home MT when my mother, who was diagnosed with terminal cancer, could no longer watch my children before or after school -- (yes, they were school-age and not toddlers). This was back in the late 1990s, when "working from home," for any job was a new concept.

Too many people got into this field for the wrong reasons, which has been discussed before ad nauseum. The OP, I believe, only has been in the MT field for 3, maybe 4 years (after completion of schooling etc). Even in that time frame, the field of MT was changing drastically.

She can't find a job as an acute care MT, because she CHOSE to do clinic work and limit herself to clinic work. She should have taken the steps and applied for acute care work right after she finished her schooling. I speak from experience, because I have mentored many MTs during my career and it is extremely time-consuming. I would say that about half of the people that I mentored realized after a very short period of time that MT was a lot more difficult than they realized and that it did not simply involve being able to type fast or "enter data" into a computer.

There are more seasoned and more skilled out there, such as myself, who are able to get in and do the job with little or no supervision, have the ability to think logically enough to be able to figure out the name of a doctor or a geographical location or a medical term and to research it without having to come to a public message board to ask about it.

With many of the companies that I worked for, if I left more than 5 blanks in a report, they knew it was because it was an extremely difficult dictator or the sound quality was horrible. I have been QA as well as a SWAT team member, so I know of what I speak.

Look at the statistics -- the number of available MTs to the number of open positions. Because of the supposed schools making this sound like a dream profession with their promises of BIG money, there are probably 100 (if not more), MTs applying for every job opening.

I am now at a point in my life (nearing 60), where I do not want to go back to school to pursue a degree program. I do not want to have to go into the work force, deal with having to purchase a large wardrobe and everything that goes with it and compete with people half my age who wear skirts that barely cover their rears.

Through the daughter of a dear friend, I have been pursuing a new business opportunity that allows me to work from home, set my own hours, travel and help people in the process. I have seen first hand what this product has done, not only for myself, but for some very dear friends as well and I am VERY excited about starting out on the ground floor of a company, where I know even with my age, I can advance myself, have unlimited earing potential and help people with their general health and well-being in the process.
I applaud you. You rock !!! Telling it like it is !! nm - older than dirt 2
[ In Reply To ..]
x

Older than is simply stating fact without any gloss - Me

[ In Reply To ..]
Older than dirt did not seem to be "rude" or "on a high horse". She/he was simply stating fact without any gloss. There is nothing wrong with talking about "hand holding" because that is exactly what it is. Try paying your dues for 30+ years and then perhaps you will see things differently. Medical transcription is FINISHED!!! It's over. Forget it. There is no more money to be made in the field. Older than dirt was trying to get that across to all of you.

to older than dirt - younger than dirt but still old

[ In Reply To ..]
If you have 33 years in the field, can to acute care and can't find a job, then I would like to suggest there's an issue with YOUR skills. Just because you're "older" (I've done this since the 70s) doesn't mean you're smarter as you made evident in your response.

I've not had ANY issue finding jobs at any time, so I'm really wondering what your short-coming is.

To the OP- The sad fact of the state of MT is, you're likely going to have to lie on your application stating you have acute care experience when you don't. Using good references with a solid background in A&P, you should be able to do acute care, BUT you will be slow and you will likely not make much money for several months while you learn. And then you have to hope what you do produce is good enough to pass muster.

IMO, any MT worth his/her salt can do any specialty/type of report at any given time with the proper research. Much of it is just learning a new vocabulary list, just like you did in middle school.

Exactly - L&L

[ In Reply To ..]
I too am from the 1970s. I had to work with a woman once who had 10+ years of experience and turned around to ask me "What does this 'pearly' mean on the eye exam."

That being said, I've worked specialty clinics that were a lot harder than most primary care hospitals. Acute care is only difficult if you get into tertiary care or teaching-research hospitals.

Tell them what specialties you can do. You've probably done procedure reports, and some places put procedure reports and operative reports in the same category. BTW, operative reports are just not that difficult.

I can't believe they give an AS in MT wow - my advice is go back to school

[ In Reply To ..]
you have some basic classes, you can build on those and get a degree in something else. I have 12 years experience in all fields, have been QA/level 3 and can't find anything paying over 8/4. I'm making 9/4 now but mostly the 4. Back in school, this MT career will not sustain me for long

Good luck.

To older than dirt - some thoughts - MT Headed

[ In Reply To ..]
1. Three years at one job shows that the OP is not a job hopper, which is a good thing, and her clinic job was a great place to start. She can't find a job because no one is hiring, period. You said so yourself, you have been looking for a long time and even with all of your experience, no one will hire you.
2. You know nothing of her work ethic or her ability to get in and do the work and do her own research, so don't go there unless you know of what you speak. I am also a QA person. There might be 35 Dr. John Smiths and even after doing research an MT might still not know if she has the correct provider. There is nothing wrong with asking for help. I thought we were all here to assist each other. Five blanks in a report can mean a lot of things; better to leave a blank than get it wrong.
3. Most employers have dress codes. Anyone showing up to interview at my place of employment with a skirt barely covering their rear would not get the job. Anyone showing up at work looking that that would be sent home to change. It also is not necessary to have a large wardrobe or spend big bucks to look presentable for the office.
4. As far as being one of the "pioneers" of the work at home trend: I started with my present employer as an MT in the mid 90s; they had MTs at some since at least the 80s. We were given a choice of on site or home, you were not the first person to think of this.

I am also almost 60 and did attend school to learn MT. My first job was in acute care, and I am so thankful that my manager and co-workers did not share your attitude and were patient with me. They saw my potential and knew that I was eager to learn everything. on that job. I also chose MT because every day is a new learning experience. I also love research just as you do.

If the MT had pursued acute care fresh out of school, what would have been the difference? She would have been less experienced than she is now, and the same thing would have applied in regard to no one wanting to mentor her.

As far as seeing the future of MT and not getting into it or getting out of it, I knew it was going to end as did you; you only recently chose to make a change, probably when you realized that you couldn't get an MT job. I moved into a QA spot, which I love doing. I have no plans to get out of things related to MT because that is where my skillset lies. I consider myself to be very fortunate to have a good employer and to be out of production transcription. You don't know the OPs reasons for choosing MT, but you have made a lot of assumptions.

You said you learned on the job, so I would suggest that you think back to your newbie days, I know you didn't start out knowing it all and certainly you had a mentor or two. Walk a mile in someone else's shoes and remember how it was for you when you started.

Really pump up your résumé - Emphasize the different areas

[ In Reply To ..]
Clinic work does vary from acute care but NOT a much as some of the old timers would have you think. Yes, op notes can be challenging, but they're not impossible. The rest of "acute care" isn't that different from clinic. You have admit H&P, discharge summaries, ER notes, inpatient procedures like echos and colonoscopies, etc. Unless you end up at a major transplant center, this is all stuff you can handle.

As to how to get that job, really play up your varied experience. Yes, it was clinic work, but you were all over the body system, even with some specialties like obgyn. I don't recommend you lie because that will come back to bite you, but you can make your experience sound like it is much more than "just" clinic work, because it is.

Don't let the naysayers get you down. Just really pump up your résumé and you'll hit that one recruiter on that one day where they decide to give you a shot. Good luck!

She will be in tears,dear - JC

[ In Reply To ..]
I don't know where it came that acute care doesn't vary widely from clinic. Geez, accents/ESL, hospital noises, meds that are never used in a clinic, labs that are rarely done in a clinic, diseases that rarely get mentioned in a clinic specialty report, parasites, infectious disease names...the list goes on and on and on.

I would not play anything up. I would tell the honest to goodness truth only. If you somehow come off as if you can do acute care and you get tested---and even if you pass the test---you'll be in tears every day.

These people who are saying that acute care isn't far different from clinic have never done the acute care I have. FYI: An ER report may as well be clinic; to me, they do not count as acute care. Stuffy noses, belly pains, ankle break, sprain.....

This is such bunk - MegaMT

[ In Reply To ..]
I started out doing clinics and can tell you I learned a whole lot more than I did doing acute care. Acute care has a wider variety of terms but it is not necessarily harder.

I've seen acute care people, who given your thinking, should have NO problem doing clinic work, right? Couldn't last a week.

Don't sell clinic people short by thinking there's no noise, no ESL, they aren't able to reference a drug list, and sorry but lots of labs are similar depending on the clinic.

IMO, 90% of acute care is repetitious. It's NOT rocket science and your knowledge base is simply NOT superior to someone with multiple clinic experience. It's just not.

BTW- I've done acute care extensively and I've done clinics extensively and sorry, you can do either one if you know how to look up references.

Try doing GYN clinic or plastic surgery or infectious disease or dermatology where you never hear about a stuffy nose, belly pain, ankle break or sprain.

Then tell me doing a discharge summary is harder. no way.

Operative reports will be harder for someone coming from clinic notes with no procedures, expecially doing cardiac caths, etc but even those are so repetitious that after you do a few, it's no big deal.

I second that. I would not lie because it will come back to bite you - you cant go from clinic notes to ops

[ In Reply To ..]
and expect to make any real $$$. You will spend your time researching and crying.

Okay, so... - JC

[ In Reply To ..]
...why is someone with only clinic work not able to get an acute care job, eh? Acute care is considered in demand because it's highly specialized. They need all the help they can get, so why do they turn down clinic people?

It's not a snotty/snobby thing as you would imply. Seriously. As was said here before, what acute care have those been doing who think it's like clinic work???

Acute Care - As Old as Older Than Dirt

[ In Reply To ..]
I too am approaching 60, but I haven't been doing this as long as some. I've been doing it for 15 years. BUT, it was 15 years of acute care. If you at least had 3 years of acute care, I would say you should be able to get a job, but you have only clinic, which is extremely limiting in this field.

As to "getting experience in acute care," back in the good old days, you'd have some sort of mentoring on the job, you would have had mentoring in clinics and hospitals...but those days are gone. I only got my experience because I went to a really, really good transcription school that was recognized as the best in the country--it taught acute care. Of course I had to build on it on the job, but I had the base under me to do that.

I do not agree that acute care is easy---someone here alluded to that, and that is not true at all, if you are truly doing acute care, the nitty gritty of hospital dictations.

I also have to say that surgeries are NOT easy if you haven't done them. They are very repetitive, so once you "get it" you can really sail along. But to go in cold and think that having some medical references is going to help, is not true.

I don't know how long you've been on this board, but I've been on for almost 10 years and me and others have been shouting from the roof tops about going to the best school, doing acute care as straight out of that school as possible, take advantage of any mentoring in acute care the company had/has to offer, etc.

People bad-mouthed us, told us to get off our high horses, etc., etc. I personally gave up on trying to convince people to go to the correct school to begin with, then get in the trenches of acute care.

Weighing in on this - started Acute Care on a typewriter

[ In Reply To ..]
I've been at this nearly 40 years. It is just a thought, but I don't think being really successful working at home on a production basis doing acute care is just a matter of knowing how to research, although that is critically important. It is also years and years with of hospital experience under your belt; especially in these days of so many ESLs, a matter of also knowing what you are supposed to be hearing because you have heard it so many times before. I think it is sad that the hospitals are no longer hiring the new MTs and giving them the kind of rich background that they really need to go home and make a success of this. There is no money in to be made if you spend all your time googling.

By the way, as a person who has an MT business, I would be really angry if I hired someone who said she had acute care experience and I discovered that she had lied, which likely would become evident quite quickly; better to tell the truth about your experience.

lol who is older than who - who me

[ In Reply To ..]
I don't know. I learned acute care in the 70s, no internet, no school, 2 babies and it was hard. B U T - it was doable and I did it well.

There are a lot of factors that go into whether or not you can do acute care and some of that has to do with the MT from the git (intelligence, tenacity, etc)

I started doing - Older than Methuselah

[ In Reply To ..]
I started doing AC from pathology. Big difference in the two, but it only took me about a week to get the hang of it. None of this junk is rocket science...that's why they now consider MTs worth pretty much nothing.
Got you all beat, older than dinosaurs - Know the keys? Forgot where I put them
[ In Reply To ..]
I have done this now for 41 years and I also learned and then worked in a hospital because like the above poster stated, no working from home then. I started because medicine w something that interested me, not because I was trying to stay home with junior. I was extremely lucky, taught on the job while earning base pay and then when fully trained, after a year, started with production pay and the base pay. Then we had other MTs who were second ears for us. I do not think I could have done this by myself, probably would not have lasted because I found it extremely difficult. I started in acute care and with that worked numerous outside jobs in different specialities.
think it can be done - 1978
[ In Reply To ..]
I started working for John Donohoe in 1978. I was in Philly burbs. Tapes were delivered once a week. I'd never done medical transcription but I had a couple of years of nursing school. I had a baby six months after I started working. Some nights I sat there in tears but I learned and I never forgot what I learned (yet- lol). I was transcribing for a teaching hospital, 5-part copy on a typewriter and nightly I wanted to murder a resident or two.

I think if your education level is enough, you can do acute care w/o having to sit in a hospital and having someone hold your hand. It wouldnt be easy but I think it can be done.

However, as someone mentioned, the job listings are fewer and far between (if you ignore the monster companies) and the competition to get those jobs is fierce. Someone already experienced is far more likely to get the job.

OP, have you applied to M*modal? I think they're a nightmare but you might be able to get the experience you're looking for.
Education level being enough to be MT, well - older than dinosaur here
[ In Reply To ..]
I guess because you say you had a "couple of years of nursing school" education that meant you should be better equipped to do transcription rather than as you put it, sitting in a hospital and having someone hold your hand. I felt on entering transcription that it would be a piece of cake. I had worked many years in medical setting prior to transcription including 2 years in children's ER, working in medical records department, worked in osteopath's office, cancer registry office, school of nursing office and I had to really apply myself. The difference between me and someone going to a MT school is inhospital training with acute care was the cream of the crop. I never had to give resume (worked at 2 other hospitals here in town after the training hospital) each over 10 years each. Fact of the matter is the company I work with now never asked for a resume from me, sight unseen. The reason was I had worked for a particular hospital in my town and it just so happened this company had that particular hospital's work, so I was in like Flint. I called the owner, told them I knew the platform, knew the work so with my background opened the door for me in lots of ways. I probably would have a very harm time doing a resume as I never had to do one. Another difference with my inhospital and on line training is I had paid training. I was already working in the cancer registry at that hospital and continued that salary while training. Cost me nothing for the education and paid at the same time. How sweet was that?
welll good for you what do you want, a pat on the back? - not sure your purpose
[ In Reply To ..]
of telling all of us seasoned MTs with a real education that you just walked in and did it with little to no effort. So what?
Real education as opposed to on job - training I guess is what you mean
[ In Reply To ..]
Putting words in someone's mouth when you said walked in and did with little effort, never did I say that. Like person above, went home during training plenty of nights almost in tears because of how hard I found it. As far as seasoned MT with what you call real education or I guess mine would be unreal (?) education, after doing this work for 20+ years I think most of us can call our own self seasoned. It came off as pompous for someone to say if your education level was high enough you did not need hand holding inhospital training. My point was hospital training spoke for itself. After training, worked at 2 other hospitals here in town, never had to even take a typing test. Never had to have resume, this last job hired sight unseen without as much as a test to back up my credentials. Don't think as much me as it was the training I was able to obtain.

Education level - to older than dinsosaur - MT Headed
[ In Reply To ..]
Jeez, what an ego. My story is similar. I took courses at a community college and actually wanted to be an MT. In order to graduate from our program, the students had to do short internships at local health care facilities. I was placed at the transcription department of one of the local hospitals where I worked as a clerk and did practice transcription. They liked me, and at the end of that time I was hired and stayed 5 years. Like you, I learned much of what I know on the job so I also had paid training, I think most of the MTs that I know from back in the day had that. I was hired for other jobs too and also stayed many years at them. I was generally hired immediately but did have to apply first. I was good at what I did but we all need to remember that MTs used to be in demand. I got my QA job after being laid off when MT department was outsourced without having to apply, they offered it to me before considering anyone else. If you can blow your own horn, so can I. I'm not sure what you are doing now, but I would suggest learning how to do a resume and bringing it up to date. The days of hiring people sight unseen are over.
I am all for people blowing their own horn - but felt like 2 years in nursing school
[ In Reply To ..]
and then saying if your education level is high enough you don't need handholding in hospital setting. That followed my saying I had inhospital training in the posting above. Put down? That is what it seemed to me. The present job I attained around 2005 so sight unseen, no testing, company discussed frequently on this board, guess there are still some places like that. Don't plan on brushing up on resume, never had one and too late to start now. Probably will let this job play out and then might give up working.

I got my start by agreeing to work for dirt. :) - An investment that ONCE paid off. sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I also recommend lying as much as you can get away with to get a chance. It won't be much at all, more like massaging the details a bit. In such a very narrow line of work, a new hire can either do it the first day or not.

For the same reason, I also agree with just moving on. Even after you get established in this too-specialized work, you will never know just when your job will disappear and you'll be unable to get another. Just a few months not editing, and whatever employers remain will once again not be interested, not with hundreds or thousands of people looking for the same job. And, of course, this will be the ONLY work you're qualified for at that point.

Similar Messages:

What Is Acute Care Experience?
Nov 02, 2009

What is acute care experience?  Do you work for the hospital? I am sooo green to MT! Appreciate advice about this. Still waiting to start the AIM  MT internship. Anyone done it?   Diane in Vermont   ...

Getting Acute Care Experience
May 26, 2010

I have been an MT for 11 years and am wanting to expand my knowledge base beyond the realm of radiology. I have been applying for acute care positions but I am not even given the opportunity to test most of the time because I don't have any acute care experience. I would like to know what I would have to do in order to get some acute care experience behind me so that I can become eligible to apply for and test for acute care positions. Any information anyone has on this would be most a ...

Everyone Wants Acute Care Experience, But...
Jul 28, 2012

...nobody is willing to hire you so you can GET that experience!!!   So, short of lying on your resume, how exactly does one go about this??  And what is so special about AC experience anyways???   ...

How To Get Acute Care Experience?
Aug 01, 2012

Can someone please tell me how to get acute care experience? ...

How Do You Get Acute Care Experience?
Aug 06, 2012

I would love to know how you get acute care experience when no one will give you the opportunity without it. I am good at what I do and work hard. I am very frustrated because my current job went to voice recognition (which I am sure everyone is on that boat with me). My pay has been cut in half and I am looking for extra work but no one will look at me without acute care experience. Does anyone have any suggestion?  ...

What Exactly Is Acute Care Experience?
Nov 09, 2012

I feel dumb asking this, but I have done many types of transcription and I'm wondering if any of them apply as "acute care." ...

Acute Care Experience
Nov 12, 2012

I have been looking for full or part-time work for quite some time now.  Most of the ads require acute care experience.  Is it worth taking a course for acute care or should I work on getting my CMT certification?  With all of the changes to health care recently, I didn't know if it was worth pursuing.  ...

Experienced, But No Acute Care Experience
Apr 03, 2011

Hi All, I have been a transcriptionist for 10 years, working both in-house and home (currently doing both), but the company I currently work for is going to EMR (and of course, I'm the one setting it up for them) and will be out of a job within the coming months. I have applied and taken tests for various companies and have also had phone interviews over the last year.  Unfortunately I am not offered a position due to "not having enough experience" in the acute care field.  Corr ...

Acute Care Transcription - Does Anyone Have Experience?
Jan 17, 2012

I have been transcribing for 30 years mostly orthopedics. I want very much to do acute care transcription. Does anyone think I have a chance to get into it? I feel as though I am at a dead end if I don't do something different to further my career. I feel very qualified to do it. I took a good course from AHDI with cardiology, gastroenterology, orthopedics, and surgeries through Oak Horisons. This was a very well-rounded course and covered everything involved. Thought maybe someone m ...

I Feel Kind Of Stupid For Asking What Does Acute Care Experience Mean?
Apr 25, 2011

x ...

Acute Care - What Does Acute Care Consist Of?
Apr 08, 2010

I know this is a really stupid question but, what does acute care consist of?  What types of reports are acute care?  I understand that it is basically emergency type of care or short-term care, but exactly what types of reports would you be transcribing? TIA ...

How Do You Get Into Acute Care?
Dec 29, 2009

Alot of the job listings ask for 5+ years in this area, so how do you get into it in the first place? I don't mind starting at the bottom and moving up... But where is the bottom? I had a job with a company but they would not pay me. So now I am trying to look for a job again and not many people wantt o hire someone that does not have alot of experience. So.. How do you get into a specialty?? ...

Acute Care! Acute Care! Acute Care!
Oct 04, 2010

That's it!  I've had it with transcription companies that only offer acute care transcription and don't pay you anything for it anyway!  That if you don't have acute care experience or been lucky enough to obtain it.  SOL.  I'm changing my profession. ...

WOW, Just Saw An Ad For 0.6 CPL For ACUTE CARE! (sm)
Dec 29, 2010

I truly hope that no one applies for this job.  That is even beyond ridiculous for clinic work! ...

Why Does Acute Care Have More ESL?
Nov 10, 2012

I transcribe both clinic and some acute care, and the acute care that I transcribe has a higher percentage of ESL dictators.  It seems like that is typical for acute care.  Why is that?  Are the ESL doctors drawn more to being hospitalists? ...

Ped Vs Acute Care
Sep 26, 2013

What is the difference between ped and regular adult acute care transription?  I am being asked if I have ped experience but wouldn't they be the same?   ...

Acute Care?
Sep 23, 2014

As a relative newbie MT, I'm not certain what "acute care" means. Does it mean basically all reports that are from doctors in the hospital setting? That is, would any hospital operative note, hospital progress note, and all discharge summaries be considered "acute care"? I know a clinic note is basically a note by an outpatient doctor, right? And it's basically about more minor medical problems albeit could be chronic rather than "acute." ...

Help With Radiology And Acute Care
Dec 26, 2009

Happy Christmas everyone!  I am looking after 2 accounts over Christmas, one Radiology and one Acute Care, neither of which I have any experience of!  Can anybody out there point me in the direction of some good websites that would give me vocabulary lists or a "crash course" on these topics?!  ...

Working As An MT Acute Care...
Feb 22, 2010

I completed my education with Everett Community College in their Career Step program for MT training in Dec. 2006.  I have been working ever since in a rehab/therapy clinic.  I am the only one who does the transcription for 7 therapists and it is a rather busy office.  I have wanted to find work doing hospital transcription and certainly not from lack of trying to locate work on my part.  What frustrates me is that I was told by my instructors that I should be able to find su ...

Can A Clinical MT Ever Be An Acute Care MT
Apr 13, 2010

How long does it take for a clinical MT to become an acute care MT, or I am losing my mind even trying?  I have an interview with WalMart today and am actually considering it.... my confidence is down the toilet.  Any thoughts?  Thanks. ...

Radiology Vs Acute Care
Jun 06, 2010

Can anybody tell me if you can make more money doing Radiology or Acute Care? ...

Any Clinic MTs Try For An Acute Care Job...
Jun 04, 2010

And get hired? Opportunites are limited with clinic work, which is all I have experience with, but nobody will give me a chance. Should I apply for acute care positions anyway? Anyone MTs who only did clinic work have any stories about breaking into it? ...

Learning Acute Care
Jul 25, 2010

I have been doing clinics for 10 years.  Now I am learning acute care and it is very tough.  Lots of doctors and no time to learn each one of them.  Very tough.  Does it usually take a long time to learn this.  They say I am doing great, but lots of blanks! ...

What Categorizes Acute Care? 
Dec 28, 2010

What categorizes acute care?  I mean i have typed clinic notes for family practices and have done endocrinology ( i have not been an MT long and am still learning the lingo). when they say looking for acute care experience, what does that consist of?   thanks guys!! ...

TransTech Acute Care?
Aug 11, 2011

I see that TransTech just placed an ad for acute care MTs.   I was hoping that someone who currently works there or has worked for them in the past could share how your experience was.   Do you run out of work a lot?   Are they an overall good company to work for and treat their MTs well?   I remember reading in the distant past that a lot of people there were running out of work a lot.   Is this still an issue or a thing of the past?  Any feedback on this company w ...

Does Nuance Pay More For Acute Care
Dec 06, 2011

. ...

What Is Considered Acute Care?
Dec 21, 2011

Are things like EEG, EMG, EGD, inpatient H&P, discharge summary, inpatient consults, neonatology, and ED reports considered acute care?   ...

Tier 2 For Acute Care
Mar 28, 2012

Can anyone tell me the cpl range for a Tier 2 acute care MT at M*Modal? I was given an offer and just wanted to see if it is typical. Thanks. ...

Why Can't I Work In Acute Care?
Oct 03, 2012

I want to work in acute care and have transcribed for almost 30 years. I know I can do it. Why can't I find someone who will hire me and give me a chance since there are so many acute care transcription jobs out there? I have good experience in orthopedics and a good work ethic. Just wondering. ...

Accentus Acute Care
Mar 23, 2013

Does anyone know why Accentus Acute Care seems to always have the same job ad hiring for acute care MTs that pays a sign-on bonus?  It seems as though either they never fill these positions or they are so difficult nobody stays.  I would be interested in applying, but the last time I tried to apply with them on the ambulatory side, I could not get the voice file to work.  Is this even worth applying for?  What is their cpl rate and do they pay for spaces?  Thanks for any ...